• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #22 Vs Missouri State Tues 1\29\19 7 PM ARC

Started by VUGrad1314, January 28, 2019, 12:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Quote from: mj on January 29, 2019, 09:15:18 PM
Seriously, this team is a  :censored: mess. Absolutely pathetic.
Won't be surprised if Freeman leaves.

Lottich is in over his head.

This team isn't a mess. It's injured and starting two freshman. We need perspective. This was a great effort tonight. Both bigs were in foul trouble and they still almost won. Free throw shooting was bad.

VALPO LI

6 Total Bench Points from 2 juniors and a sophomore.
Kiser with 0 points
Sorolla with 3 points
McMillan with 3 points

Frustrating when these guys are in and won't score.
Shine on Vu

valpotx

Seriously though guys...how does anyone airball a FT?

I do like Lavender overall, but he is definitely a guy that has to score at the rim.  Who taught him his form?  Whoever did that needs to be banned from every teaching anyone again, as he needs like 5 feet of space in order to get a shot off, otherwise he will get blocked every time.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpotx on January 29, 2019, 09:36:32 PM
Seriously though guys...how does anyone airball a FT?

I don't know Ask Jared Lloyd

may know

I knew we were going to lose when the lady behind the scorer's table was wearing a Motor City Madness tshirt.

justducky

Quote from: crusadermoe on January 29, 2019, 09:29:49 PMOn the half full side, I thought Sorolla played good defense with quick feet apart from those dumb fouls.  Even better, our two freshmen guards were able to penetrate to the hoop

Everybody played hard on defense. This reminded me of our team last February when our only way to compete was to battle on every play. Thats good!

Some of our offensive execution and free throw shooting looked like we were outdoors, playing in the cold and wind, while wearing mittens.  Thats bad!

M

Freshmen were really good. Bakari was decent til he wasn't at the end. Lavender wasn't good. Smits is a black hole with the ball. Sorolla couldn't buy a bucket. Loser is still kiser and covers up his lack of skill with hustle but he couldn't buy a bucket. McMillian only got a little run and got the only shot he made. MoState's offense is terrible, and it wasn't really anything Valpo was doing special. I thought Mileek should've got some run in the second half. At least he can score.

Free throws were killer. Not sure how many 1-2s Valpo has but how the heck do you air ball a free throw in OT. Unbelievable.

Valpo stinks at ending halves. I wasn't surprised with the way OT ended honestly.

VU2010

Any of you who support this pathetic excuse for coaching know something I don't - are you kidding me? The man cannot manage the Xs and Os and make in-game adjustments. I'm sorry but we're a D1 program. He makes a lot of money no doubt. We shouldn't be the place coaches have to go to get their first gig and learn the ropes. That's what NAIA, DIII, and DII are for. Most people aren't Scott Drew - they can't just BE a coach. And besides look at the mentor he had - HOMER. Same could be said of Bryce. I'm tired of it. That was our game to win. And we lost it because we couldn't FINISH.

valpotx

Since when do you get ejected for saying such a tame thing as what he said?  Officials lucked out when we were in the Mid-Con, as I was throwing f-bombs left and right in the Mezz during my days :-X
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on January 29, 2019, 09:46:05 PM[tweet]1090446767848607745[/tweet] [tweet]1090454075752239104[/tweet] [tweet]1090455206658297860[/tweet]

Maybe instead of reprimanding\suspending coaches and ejecting fans Elgin should take a look at the common thread of concern and address it. People in Evansville Normal and Valpo can't all be wrong. The last two crews to come through Valpo have SUCKED and I thought the Illinois State crew was bad. I had no idea what we'd be in for later.

NativeCheesehead

This was the game you needed to have to stay out of Thursday. Your next three are tough even if you're healthy.

Feeling really dumb about booking the AirBnB in St Lou yesterday.

Sigh.

VU2014

Not sure if everyone saw this but holy cow it's hard to be as bad as the officiating crew was today. Just straight up garbage. They seriously need to clean up their act.

https://twitter.com/Valpo_Hoops/status/1090423555194535936

valpopal

I have said it a number of times before, and I will repeat it here, it is a sin for any basketball player with "Valparaiso" on his uniform not to be able to shoot free throws. Think of Bruce Lindner, Scott Colclasure, Greg Tonagel. How about the "Valpo method" that is well-known and proven successful. Even my wife can shoot free throws because she was taught the Valpo method by Virgil Sweet! There are Valpo alums like Rob Cavanaugh—who set the IHSAA record when he was at VHS by making 72 consecutive shots and 102 out of 104—and Mike Jones, both shot 83% for their four years at Valpo, in the area who could teach the current players. Is Casey Schmidt still in the area as well? He shot 93% from the free-throw line for Valpo. Other VHS grads who were VU players, like Scott Anselm, Bryce Drew and Dave Redmon, were excellent free throw shooters. I don't know why our coaches don't insist poor free-throw shooters spend the summer learning the Valpo method. It's worth a try!  :twocents:

VU2010

You're in denial - we lost to a team we SHOULD NOT have lost to ... as-is with our injuries. Got out coached down the stretch and out executed.

valpotx

I do wonder why officials don't call as much of the hand on body contact as was impressed upon them a few seasons ago.  I yell at the screen whenever I see our guys with their hands on someone's hip or back, fearing that it will get called, and then it doesn't get called.
"Don't mess with Texas"

mj

Looks like Vandy is having a rough go this season. 0-7 in conference.

Maybe Bryce needs to come home...
I believe that we will win.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpopal on January 29, 2019, 10:19:34 PMI have said it a number of times before, and I will repeat it here, it is a sin for any basketball player with "Valparaiso" on his uniform not to be able to shoot free throws. Think of Bruce Lindner, Scott Colclasure, Greg Tonagel. How about the "Valpo method" that is well-known and proven successful. Even my wife can shoot free throws because she was taught the Valpo method by Virgil Sweet! There are Valpo alums like Rob Cavanaugh—who set the IHSAA record when he was at VHS by making 72 consecutive shots and 102 out of 104—and Mike Jones, both shot 83% for their four years at Valpo, in the area who could teach the current players. Is Casey Schmidt still in the area as well? He shot 93% from the free-throw line for Valpo. Other VHS grads who were VU players, like Scott Anselm, Bryce Drew and Dave Redmon, were excellent free throw shooters. I don't know why our coaches don't insist poor free-throw shooters spend the summer learning the Valpo method. It's worth a try!  :twocents:

Have you tried suggesting this to coach?

VUGrad1314

Quote from: mj on January 29, 2019, 10:23:29 PMLooks like Vandy is having a rough go this season. 0-7 in conference. Maybe Bryce needs to come home...

This isn't on Lottich. He can't make Smits\Sorolla avoid dumb fouls he can't dribble for Bakari or box out for Mileek or shoot free throws for everybody. These things are the players responsibility and if they truly give a darn about their own development or the school they represent they'll fix these things without being prodded because they know it's unacceptable not because coach tells them so.

M

Somebody recruits and coaches these kids though....

I'm not jumping ship on the coaching staff but they gotta do something about these plays they draw up and the end of halves.

VU2010

Here's the real over under:

Will Valpo win as many games in the 2017-18 AND 2018-2019 seasons combined as we did during the 2015-2016 season (30)?

We have 27 total from this year and last year combined. So, we'd need 4 more. At this point, I honestly doubt it.

At what point will there be conversation about the direction of this program?

People talk about the players not being recruited for the MVC. Ok but neither was the coach!!!

I could only dream Bryce would come back. And those opening 4 wins in conference play just show the potential of what we COULD be. Yes I'm aware of injuries. Nonetheless, players have regressed. Sarolla, Mileek, Micah(?), not to mention all we've lost along the way. Started with Skara who went on to start at Clemson!

bbtds

I made this prediction before the Northern Iowa game which we won.

Quote from: bbtds on January 18, 2019, 12:52:23 PMI'm afraid the team will be very streaky this year and we are going to be on a downward streak. Grittiness only goes so far. It was good for a turn around but is not sustainable all conference season. Poor shooting and lack of confidence will do us in.

I will admit that I didn't predict the injuries but the streakiness of Valpo has come true.

JD24

Quote from: VALPO LI on January 29, 2019, 09:35:41 PM6 Total Bench Points from 2 juniors and a sophomore. Kiser with 0 points Sorolla with 3 points McMillan with 3 points Frustrating when these guys are in and won't score.
Sorolla aside, what are you really expecting out of the other two?

M

With a Golder and Fazekas Valpo wins by double digits...injuries are unfortunate.

A few more made free throws and the talk around here would be way different.