• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC Hoops 2020-2021

Started by VUGrad1314, May 22, 2020, 12:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Good decision on his part.  He has a good chance of getting more exposure, and if it exists, playing in March Madness.
"Don't mess with Texas"

may know

Sad news about Musiccitybulldog on MVCfans, who was both a really nice and really good poster.

VUGrad1314

Was always really nice to fans around the league and was very complimentary of Valpo as a program and as a fit in the MVC from the very beginning. He will be missed.

VU2014

An interesting feature article of the Illinois MVC Basketball programs.

https://twitter.com/michaelsobrien/status/1292117978377576449?s=21

VUGrad1314

Champion in and a possible second bid for the tournament winner is a great system and would be a just way to throw a lifeline to schools in non power leagues that are hurting and  could really use some help right now. If the winner of the tournament and the regular season is the same then that school gets preferred seeding. I think I've seen this idea floated before in some form but I can't remember who proposed it.

bbtds

It sounds like a great idea and very equitable. I'm sure Cincinnati AD, John Cunningham, and Cincinnati president, Neville Pinto, are wondering what has gotten into Brannen and why is he giving away a precious spot in the NCAA tournament. Does Brannen think he is still at Northern Kentucky? Doesn't Brannen know that the selection committee would favor a bigger program such as Cincinnati over smaller programs like Wright State, Murray State, Belmont, Illinois State, Bradley, East Tennessee State, Tennessee State, Missouri State, Detroit Mercy, South Dakota State, etc.

GoldenCrusader87

With it now being September and having had two major power 5 conferences (along with the large majority of FCS conferences and programs) postpone the football season while gearing up for the others to start, how are we feeling about the odds of the season being played? And if so — seating capacity? Will we still be in stage 4.5 per executive orders and thus if we play b-ball what will crowd be like?

Seems like the nba bubble is working fairly well. Granted, it helps when Disney owns ESPN and abc etc — but will be interested to see how college football plays out and thus how that impacts the basketball season.

Heartbreaking to see programs being cancelled around the country as we've seen of late in Valpo. Like it or not, major power 5 football funds these other sports. Basketball behind that. They're financially codependent in that regard. Crazy times to say the least.

VALPO LI

Valpo's Missouri Valley Conference schedule is out :thumbsup:
Starting on the road at Indiana State
Wrapping up at home vs. Indiana State.

https://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/schedule/
Shine on Vu

VALPO LI

Bradley released it's non conference schedule today.

https://bradleybraves.com/news/2020/11/2/mens-basketball-announces-2020-21-non-conference-schedule.aspx

At Xavier MTE with Toledo and Oakland
1 non D1 game @ home
4 additional home games
Then a 4 hour drive to play in Columbia against a power 5 program Mizzou.
Shine on Vu

VUGrad1314

St Joe's Miami (OH) South Dakota State Not a bad OOC home slate especially this year. Bradley's OOC schedule is pretty decent. Could be better but decent.

VALPO LI

Shine on Vu

VALPO LI

Big win for the Bulldogs in Manhattan, Kansas :thumbsup:
Way to represent the Valley.

https://twitter.com/DrakeBulldogsMB/status/1331715217995214855
Shine on Vu

VUGrad1314

My thoughts on UNI: So disgusted right now. I didn't even get to flirt with the idea of a multibid MVC for ONE DAY and yeah I'm not happy about that AT ALL

It absolutely pains me to say this because I look to Northern Iowa as a program worthy of emulation in a lot of ways with a scheduling philosophy we all should be following every year but is there a more overrated so-called team leader than AJ Green? Seriously. We keep hearing about how this kid is the be all end all and just this great player but where are the results? He'll have a great individual game but who cares if the team eats an L?  All I see every time UNI is in a big moment is a team that folds and comes up short. Why is he never able to deliver? I shouldn't lay it all at Green's feet though because Stansbury outcoached Jacobson today. Why is Jacobson never able to deliver a supporting cast around Green that works? What happened to the defense first grind it out Northern Iowa we all know and love? That sort of team would have found a way to win this game. You have a team that had a defense first identity before Green got there get lit up for 93 points. You have a team that prides itself on discipline and not fouling yield 31 free throw attempts while only shooting 11. By and large jumpshooting teams don't win and Northern Iowa is nothing but a jumpshooting team. I feel like I'm watching Green's third freshman year. There's no creativity to this offense and if they don't somehow outgun their opponent they'll never win. It's just stand around and wait for A.J. Green to save the day and that will work fine against most of the MVC but that's not going to win you anything against the nation's best. That's not going to get you to the tournament. Northern Iowa needs to get back to basics and back to the formula that wins for them. I daresay they'll actually be better off if and when Green declares for the draft.

justducky

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 25, 2020, 05:55:47 PM
My thoughts on UNI: So disgusted right now. I didn't even get to flirt with the idea of a multibid MVC for ONE DAY and yeah I'm not happy about that AT ALL

It absolutely pains me to say this because I look to Northern Iowa as a program worthy of emulation in a lot of ways with a scheduling philosophy we all should be following every year but is there a more overrated so-called team leader than AJ Green? Seriously. We keep hearing about how this kid is the be all end all and just this great player but where are the results? He'll have a great individual game but who cares if the team eats an L?  All I see every time UNI is in a big moment is a team that folds and comes up short. Why is he never able to deliver? I shouldn't lay it all at Green's feet though because Stansbury outcoached Jacobson today. Why is Jacobson never able to deliver a supporting cast around Green that works? What happened to the defense first grind it out Northern Iowa we all know and love? That sort of team would have found a way to win this game. You have a team that had a defense first identity before Green got there get lit up for 93 points. You have a team that prides itself on discipline and not fouling yield 31 free throw attempts while only shooting 11. By and large jumpshooting teams don't win and Northern Iowa is nothing but a jumpshooting team. I feel like I'm watching Green's third freshman year. There's no creativity to this offense and if they don't somehow outgun their opponent they'll never win. It's just stand around and wait for A.J. Green to save the day and that will work fine against most of the MVC but that's not going to win you anything against the nation's best. That's not going to get you to the tournament. Northern Iowa needs to get back to basics and back to the formula that wins for them. I daresay they'll actually be better off if and when Green declares for the draft.

I only caught the last 9 minutes but it appeared that Northern was missing some bodies I thought were returning. Maybe I am wrong or maybe my expectations were too high but I was also disappointed in the flow of their offense and defense. Western Kentucky looks like a good team but Northern needed that neutral court win to keep top Valley teams in the at-large conversation. OOC wins could be even more important this year than they are in others. Choice opportunities for quality wins have to be rung up and cashed in.

VUGrad1314

I'm so disillusioned... If all we did was join a harder one bid league then what was the point? Not that we've done anything in this conference that gives us any right to complain as we're a big reason why this league isn't heading in the right direction when it comes to multiple bids but... I thought for sure the MVC members (us included) would fight harder to make multiple bids a reality but no.... Nobody cares about it so why should I? Just enjoy the season as much as I can and pray we get lucky for three games in March... Just like it's always been...

vusupporter

Maybe calm down a bit. Trae Berhow didn't make the trip due to COVID protocols. Any team losing a guy last minute who averaged over 12 points a game and shot nearly 45% from 3-point range is going to struggle to adjust. This year is going to be different. Don't freak out so much over every single result.

Pgmado

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 25, 2020, 06:24:15 PM
I'm so disillusioned... If all we did was join a harder one bid league then what was the point? Not that we've done anything in this conference that gives us any right to complain as we're a big reason why this league isn't heading in the right direction when it comes to multiple bids but... I thought for sure the MVC members (us included) would fight harder to make multiple bids a reality but no.... Nobody cares about it so why should I? Just enjoy the season as much as I can and pray we get lucky for three games in March... Just like it's always been...

Nothing about this season is going to be normal. Nothing about this season is going to mean anything in the grand scheme of things. The 2020-21 college basketball season is simply an occurrence of enjoyment to get us one step closer to the end of this disaster.

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 25, 2020, 06:24:15 PM

I believe it was the NCAA and their selection committees that have really hurt Mid majors and their ability to get multiple bids in their conferences more than the individual Mid major teams or their conferences.

FWalum

Quote from: bbtds on November 26, 2020, 08:06:22 AMI believe it was the NCAA and their selection committees that have really hurt Mid majors and their ability to get multiple bids in their conferences more than the individual Mid major teams or their conferences.

The bias shown toward below .500 in conference Power 6 conference teams is what irks me. The NCAA continues to ignore many of the ways the selection process favors, IMHO, undeserving Power 6 teams not only with selection, but also with seeding, pushing mid major teams into lower seedings.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

justducky

Blown Bradley opportunity gives Xavier the 51-50 win. Missed front end free throw with .4 second remaining. Close but no cigar!

Once again I only watched the very end of the game-- maybe 6 minutes. I can't say much after seeing so little of the action.

VUGrad1314

This league is SO CLOSE... I wish we could push it over the goal line... Stupid Belmont... Why won't they join so we can get Murray State in here too and make a conference that will almost certainly be two bid?

valporun

Looking at the schedule so far, most of the games our teams have been in have been winnable, minus Illinois St.-Ohio St. and Evansville-Louisville. Not sure if its practice, lack of exhibition/closed scrimmage, or injuries, but the MVC hasn't looked horrible so far. We just need to get our legs under us, plus the games, WIN the winnable ones, and do the best we can in the games that look like intended losses. Let's also hope Missouri State can get games in, and our league doesn't lose too many more Covid games.

VUGrad1314

Indiana State right now is showing case in point why you don't play non D1s. There is no benefit and only the downside of potentially losing. They are up six with like 10 minutes to go but it shouldn't be this close and I hate how it seems like every mid major takes this risk 1=4 times in its schedule instead of at a minimum playing against each other or just taking a buy game. At least with the buy game you might win you might not but either way you walk out with a check that helps your athletic department. And with the other mids it might help conference profile a bit or at least be more interesting for the fans than a non D1 and you can easily get home and home agreements there.