• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC Hoops 2020-2021

Started by VUGrad1314, May 22, 2020, 12:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

We are the 6 seed, and tied for 5th this season.  I would have taken that if you told me the end result at the beginning of the season, with a young roster and a team needing to find itself.  The tiebreaker is head-to-head (Evansville swept both us and UNI), then it goes to how you performed against the top teams, not NET.  We hold the tie-breaker with UNI, so we are playing Missouri State on Friday night, while UNI gets Illinois State.  Also, Drake was playing without 2 key players in Roman Penn & ShanQuan Hemphill.  It wasn't the same Drake team that got them to this point. 

VUGrad1314, I told you that you need to step away from the keyboard when worked up.  You weren't thinking clearly this time ;).
"Don't mess with Texas"

JD24

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 27, 2021, 08:09:55 PMAn absolutely horrible devastating night in the MVC... Northern Iowa wins evening their record with us UNI has a higher net than us Evansville wins evening their record with us Evansville swept us Missouri State loses which might drop their NET below 100 and threaten their ability to give an important Q2 opportunity to Drake And Drake loses to Bradley probably putting the final nail into their at large hopes.... Which means We're a Thursday team in a one bid league... again.... Sigh... Tonight could not have been worse for Valpo despite the win or for the MVC... I don't care that we technically "tied for sixth" last year and "tied for fifth" this year. Did we play on Thursday? Yes? Then we really failed to close out the season and the questions about whether or when we'll able get our feet under us in this conference continue to persist in my mind... I'm also upset that Drake pounded on creampuffs their entire season and gave themselves no substantive wins and therefore very little room for error which they more than used up with this loss... And Missouri State showed that they're not ready for prime time either at the absolute worst possible time... We don't need the P5\BE to conspire to keep us out of the at large conversation... We do it to ourselves...
Dude....

valpotx

This ESPN writer seems to think that Loyola is a lock, regardless of what they do in the MVC tournament.  He also feels that Drake is in the Work To Do category:

For Loyola Chicago, the season began with being picked to finish second behind Northern Iowa in the preseason Missouri Valley Conference poll. That same regular season has ended with the Ramblers earning a 21-4 record, a No. 21 ranking nationally and the program's first appearance in the AP poll since 1985.

As we say here at Bubble Watch, we've seen enough.

The Ramblers are hereby classified as a lock to make the NCAA tournament. That's not a customary status for a Valley program prior to the start of its conference tournament, but the Ramblers have been exceeding expectations all season long.

Not that it has been easy. Southern Illinois took Porter Moser's team to overtime in the season finale before falling 65-58. Loyola dropped road games in conference play to Drake and Indiana State. Indeed, the Ramblers opened 2020-21 at 3-2 after losing consecutive games to Wisconsin and Richmond.

Nevertheless, Loyola has found success by riding its veterans from the 2018 Final Four team, Cameron Krutwig and Lucas Williamson. The Ramblers have spent time this season ranked as No. 1 in adjusted defensive efficiency at KenPom.com, while also showing up in the top 10 of the NET rankings.

Krutwig is an old-school scorer in the paint. At 6-foot-9, he cracked the starting lineup in November of his freshman season and has been there ever since.

Williamson is a versatile 6-foot-4 wing who harasses opponents into a high number of turnovers and contributes on the defensive glass. The senior is also narrator and co-writer of "The Loyola Project," a documentary on the trailblazing Ramblers national championship team of 1963.

Now, Loyola's 2021 postseason begins, and the team will doubtless be reminded of expectations set in 2018. Regardless of how far the Ramblers go in the 2021 bracket, however, they've already outperformed the forecasts set for them last October.

Here's our current projection of the bubble:

Bids from traditional one-bid leagues (minus the Ivy): 20 teams

Locks: 25 teams
The bubble: 30 teams for 23 available spots
Should be in: 10 teams
Work to do: 20 teams

Drake Bulldogs

Playing without both ShanQuan Hemphill and Roman Penn, the Bulldogs lost 67-61 at Bradley in the season finale. Penn is out for the year, Darian DeVries hopes Hemphill can return in time for the Missouri Valley Conference tournament and Drake's NCAA tournament hopes are now a bit more tenuous. The loss to the Braves was a Quad 3 defeat, the second of the season for a Bulldogs team that nevertheless compiled a 24-3 record. Drake's NET ranking was eminently bid-worthy (in the mid-30s) prior to the loss in Peoria, but an early exit by a shorthanded team at the MVC tourney would likely send the team's projected No. 11 downward (if the loss to Bradley hasn't already). The best news for the Bulldogs would be Hemphill returning soon and at full speed.
"Don't mess with Texas"

JD24

FWIW-Lunardi has both Drake and Loyola in at this point.

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on February 27, 2021, 07:22:05 PM
Quote from: bbtds on February 27, 2021, 07:14:03 PM
We get 6th place and play Missouri State.

Not sure if I'm going this year. I'm glad if I don't go that I won't be supporting a state that has Josh Hawley as a Senator.

Although I could have stayed in Illinois at the least.

May have to drive over on Friday if I can't resist the urge.

So you feel better about supporting a state that had Rod Blagojevich (Democrat) as Governor for 6 years?  If you base your purchasing decisions on politicians, regardless of ideology, you won't be able to shop anywhere lol. 

My choice! You make your choices based much on your political thinking also.

justducky

Quote from: bbtds on February 28, 2021, 09:51:20 AMMy choice! You make your choices based much on your political thinking also.

I would much rather sit packed in amongst loyal MVC basketball morons than political fans who are equally stupid.  :)

valpotx

Quote from: bbtds on February 28, 2021, 09:51:20 AM
Quote from: valpotx on February 27, 2021, 07:22:05 PM
Quote from: bbtds on February 27, 2021, 07:14:03 PM
We get 6th place and play Missouri State.

Not sure if I'm going this year. I'm glad if I don't go that I won't be supporting a state that has Josh Hawley as a Senator.

Although I could have stayed in Illinois at the least.

May have to drive over on Friday if I can't resist the urge.

So you feel better about supporting a state that had Rod Blagojevich (Democrat) as Governor for 6 years?  If you base your purchasing decisions on politicians, regardless of ideology, you won't be able to shop anywhere lol. 

My choice! You make your choices based much on your political thinking also.

When it comes to donations, yes, I definitely do.  When it comes to general purchasing decisions, I wouldn't be able to shop in any state, if I held a state accountable to any select politician.  It is definitely your choice, however.  I guess trying to sell a Senate seat, is much better than inciting a riot ;).  Never mind that if you are a Democrat, he apparently is in the good graces of your hated Trump, as Blagojevich was pardoned. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

NativeCheesehead

Words are wind.

But am I more inclined to believe it coming from someone at Drake. They seem to have a great culture there.

valpotx

Interesting.  I hope that it works out, as I am still unsure of why they let Lansing go.  He seemed to be a pretty good coach, and had a solid season.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Seems like a solid hire for the conference!  Well-educated, previous coaching experience, and both mid-major & large conference administration experience.  He answered the potential expansion question perfectly, and obviously seems to be well-aware of potential programs that have been considered over the last few years, and even seemed to be putting a public pitch out there, which most likely was geared towards a Belmont and/or Murray State.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Quote from: VALPO LI on March 17, 2021, 08:23:29 PM
Jeff Jackson appointed the 10th commissioner of the Missouri Valley Conference!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DGQWiGT1-dFg&ved=2ahUKEwiQk8jA1bjvAhXhEFkFHUwyD08Q28sGMCh6BAg_EBc&usg=AOvVaw3mSfkBoxT_epoSpJN8d1VF

Seems like a good hire. He sounded good in his opening press conference and actually seemed open to expansion, maybe a Belmont/Murray state. But we didn't hear to much of a vision in his opening press conference. Harry Schrader asked good questions about scheduling as well. He said he though the coaches already schedule pretty well, which is true. We just struggle to get the larger schools to play us. Also interesting to hear that Doug Elgin wasn't involved in the selection process. It came down to search firm that came up with 10 candidates and the Presidents council voted.

vu72

Quote from: vusupporter on March 18, 2021, 10:41:07 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 18, 2021, 08:23:20 PM
This is good news. It means he's probably not going anywhere any time soon.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/drake/drake-bulldogs/2021/03/17/drake-basketball-head-coach-darian-devries-signs-8-year-contract-extension-bulldogs/4740530001/

Bryce Drew signed a 10-year extension.

Those extensions mean nothing.  Bryce had, what, eight years left on his Valpo contract?  If IU wants the Drake coach they will buy out the contract and he's gone.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on March 19, 2021, 08:08:41 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 18, 2021, 08:23:20 PM
This is good news. It means he's probably not going anywhere any time soon.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/drake/drake-bulldogs/2021/03/17/drake-basketball-head-coach-darian-devries-signs-8-year-contract-extension-bulldogs/4740530001/

Those extensions mean nothing.  Bryce had, what, eight years left on his Valpo contract?  If IU wants the Drake coach they will buy out the contract and he's gone.

Yes, it's all for optics and piece of mind for the Coach. If you think you have a coach that will be desirable to high majors in the next couple years, you sign him for a pay boost now and you negotiate favorable terms for the buyout for the school: example needs to pay the mid-major an exit clause fee or needs to schedule a home and home  game with the depart school. That is what Valpo did. It didn't exactly work as planned with Bryce leaving after year 3 at Vandy but we did get the home and home eventually

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on March 20, 2021, 11:56:38 AM
Quote from: vu72 on March 19, 2021, 08:08:41 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 18, 2021, 08:23:20 PMThis is good news. It means he's probably not going anywhere any time soon. https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/drake/drake-bulldogs/2021/03/17/drake-basketball-head-coach-darian-devries-signs-8-year-contract-extension-bulldogs/4740530001/
Yes, it's all for optics and piece of mind for the Coach. If you think you have a coach that will be desirable to high majors in the next couple years, you sign him for a pay boost now and you negotiate favorable terms for the buyout for the school: example needs to pay the mid-major an exit clause fee or needs to schedule a home and home  game with the depart school. That is what Valpo did. It didn't exactly work as planned with Bryce leaving after year 3 at Vandy but we did get the home and home eventually

No we didn't. We got bought out of our home game.

FWalum

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 20, 2021, 03:57:11 PMIt didn't exactly work as planned with Bryce leaving after year 3 at Vandy but we did get the home and home eventually
We did get the home and home... contract. The favorable terms VUGRAD1314 mentioned led to Valpo getting the buyout money from Vandy not wanting to play at the ARC.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUGrad1314

You have to think that Drake would be doing better today if they weren't shorthanded. Still I'd like to believe that the victory over Wichita State alone proves that Drake earned its bid. I hope they can come back but if they can't I hope they don't get blown out.

VU2014

Interesting story. Worth the read.

A potential move to the A10 for Loyola? If they lose Porter that would be devastating. There is natural fit with Marquette. DePaul is in the Big 10 but great job (bad admin, nice facility way off campus, not a great culture), but they do have $, distant history of success, big east.

I really think Porter is gone after Loyola's tournament run is over.

https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/1374111147016794119?s=21

valpotx

Quote from: VU2014 on March 22, 2021, 05:04:24 PM

A potential move to the A10 for Loyola? If they lose Porter that would be devastating. There is natural fit with Marquette. DePaul is in the Big 10 but great job (bad admin, nice facility way off campus, not a great culture), but they do have $, distant history of success, big east.

uh.........what....?
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Quote from: valpotx on March 22, 2021, 05:36:27 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on March 22, 2021, 05:04:24 PM

uh.........what....?

Sorry link didn't attach. My bad.

https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/1374111147016794119?s=21