• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

You've got to love coaches!!

Started by vu72, November 04, 2011, 09:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofan56

Quote from: historyman on November 25, 2011, 06:10:40 AM
Quote from: valpofan56 on November 25, 2011, 01:04:52 AM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on November 24, 2011, 11:46:23 PM

what i'm currently curious about is why one school dropped out and we added a pair.

Because Duquesne didn't want to play IU-K they wanted to play a more difficult team.

Interesting--and then some of their fans used that very excuse, having to play a tougher opponent, in UDC, as to why the Dukes lost to Valpo.

So Akron only played Duquesne and Valpo and did not play either IUK or UDC?

That means Valpo & Duquesne played 3 games while Akron, IUK and UDC only played 2 games each?

Correct.

zvillehaze

Akron's fourth game in the 2K classic was a home game against Hiram on 11-12.

Also, Lehigh did not drop out ... they played in the other "subregional".

valpopal

Quote from: zvillehaze on November 25, 2011, 09:24:52 AM
Akron's fourth game in the 2K classic was a home game against Hiram on 11-12.

Also, Lehigh did not drop out ... they played in the other "subregional".

What I was told is that Lehigh dropped out of our subregional to select the other subregional instead, which was closer to their home. That was what I meant when I said they "chose to play elsewhere."

historyman

According to their athletics website Lehigh played William & Mary 82-57, Liberty 90-80 and Eastern Kentucky 76-51 at Lynchburg, VA and won all three games. They lost to St.John's 78-73 in Queens, NY for their other 2K Sports Classic game. On 11/12/11 Lehigh played Iowa State in Ames, IA and lost 86-77.

http://www.lehighsports.com/sports/mbball/schedules/default.aspx

lowposter

Lehigh would have been an outstanding opponent for VU.  Great school in a great conference (Patriot).

lowposter

valporun

Quote from: historyman on November 25, 2011, 10:06:26 AM
According to their athletics website Lehigh played William & Mary 82-57, Liberty 90-80 and Eastern Kentucky 76-51 at Lynchburg, VA and won all three games. They lost to St.John's 78-73 in Queens, NY for their other 2K Sports Classic game. On 11/12/11 Lehigh played Iowa State in Ames, IA and lost 86-77.

Did Lehigh think they were in the Big East? Seriously, the subregional we had was certainly not cupcake. They would have faired well at the Valpo subregional, maybe even challenged for the title. I guess they just didn't want a difficult route to a subregional title?

StlVUFan

Quote from: valporun on November 25, 2011, 04:35:23 PM

Did Lehigh think they were in the Big East? Seriously, the subregional we had was certainly not cupcake. They would have faired well at the Valpo subregional, maybe even challenged for the title. I guess they just didn't want a difficult route to a subregional title?

To be fair, the very notion of a "sub" regional is beyond insulting.  These teams are glorified sparring partners for the big boys who aren't supposed to win.  It's hard to take seriously something that is euphemistically called a tournament or a classic but where the "winners" are predetermined.

I wouldn't be too hard on them.  I mean, teams need to rise above that and take these games seriously and so forth, but it's not like the system is encouraging them to do so.

The whole thing is a joke, if you ask me.

valpopal

Quote from: valporun on November 25, 2011, 04:35:23 PM

My understanding is that their decision was based solely upon geography and demographics. They felt the university and their fans would be better served by playing in Virginia and New York City.