• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Let’s Speculate! Potential Valparaiso head basketball coach candidates

Started by Just Sayin, January 14, 2023, 07:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny707

historyman

Quote from: tiny707 on March 06, 2023, 08:49:01 PM
Valpo better move fast. Chris Beard in talks with Ole Miss.

I think our basketball team could be called "NEW MISS" because it MISSed it's chance after beating Ole Miss in 1998. And it's been up first but then straight down after that.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

AlaskaCrusader19

Well, I'm not worried there. Chris Beard would never have taken the Valparaiso job, and Valparaiso would never have hired Chris Beard.

David81

Quote from: AlaskaCrusader19 on March 07, 2023, 07:22:13 AM
Well, I'm not worried there. Chris Beard would never have taken the Valparaiso job, and Valparaiso would never have hired Chris Beard.

Agreed.

Surprised/not surprised that a guy with very fresh character issues is already getting strong interest.

But the last thing VU needs is to be even in the conversation. Talk about unneeded headlines.

Dr. T

Hot take: the post about Chris Beard was made in absolute jest.

David81

Boeheim is now available. 🤠

And more seriously, I wondered how many folks would note that Syracuse also announced his replacement.

Such is life in the P5 lane.

historyman

Quote from: David81 on March 08, 2023, 06:22:47 PM
Boeheim is now available. 🤠

Quote from: Dr. T on March 07, 2023, 08:32:28 PM
Hot take: the post about Chris Beard was made in absolute jest.

Boeheim and Beard?  I'm just hoping it's someone with a bit of experience whenever someone does take over from Lottich.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

The former Texas Tech coach, Mark Adams, just became available. I mean he would fit right in at Valpo.

Texas Tech coach Mark Adams steps down following suspension (usatoday.com)

Adams spent decades coaching college basketball in Texas at all different levels. He came to Texas Tech in 2016 as a member of former coach Chris Beard's staff and was elevated into the top job when Beard left for the Texas job in 2021. A Texas Tech graduate, Adams went 43-25 in his two seasons leading the Red Raiders, including a Sweet 16 appearance last year.
[/size]
[/size]"Adams was encouraging the student-athlete to be more receptive to coaching and referenced Bible verses about workers, teachers, parents, and slaves serving their masters," the statement read. "Adams immediately addressed this with the team and apologized.

mp91

Quote from: historyman on March 08, 2023, 11:39:01 PM
The former Texas Tech coach, Mark Adams, just became available. I mean he would fit right in at Valpo.

Adams spent decades coaching college basketball in Texas at all different levels. He came to Texas Tech in 2016 as a member of former coach Chris Beard's staff and was elevated into the top job when Beard left for the Texas job in 2021. A Texas Tech graduate, Adams went 43-25 in his two seasons leading the Red Raiders, including a Sweet 16 appearance last year.
[/size]
[/size]"Adams was encouraging the student-athlete to be more receptive to coaching and referenced Bible verses about workers, teachers, parents, and slaves serving their masters," the statement read. "Adams immediately addressed this with the team and apologized.

haha I'm assuming, this was sarcastic?

Because, yeah, hiring an old coach accused of racist comments and spitting on players is not exactly what a program in need of a change of culture and public perception needs.

David81

Patrick Ewing is now available too!   :lol:

Maybe a player-coach? I bet he could still block a shot or two!  :)

But seriously, decisions are being made elsewhere.

usc4valpo

valpofb16

Patrick Ewing

Valpos last two hires outside of family ties were a head coach at IU - Southbend and a Horizon League assistant.

We are either getting Tonagel or someone 95% of us have never heard of

historyman

Quote from: mp91 on March 09, 2023, 03:20:25 PM
Quote from: historyman on March 08, 2023, 11:39:01 PM

"Adams was encouraging the student-athlete to be more receptive to coaching and referenced Bible verses about workers, teachers, parents, and slaves serving their masters," the statement read. "Adams immediately addressed this with the team and apologized.

haha I'm assuming, this was sarcastic?

Because, yeah, hiring an old coach accused of racist comments and spitting on players is not exactly what a program in need of a change of culture and public perception needs.

One thing it does provide is a change of culture and public perception. Adams would probably find a way to win too.

Okay, okay, big sarcasm!

vu84v2

Patrick Ewing would be a horrible hire for a school like Valpo. Valpo needs a coach who implements a system and then gets the right players to fit that system (as stated before, think of teams like Saint Mary's, Wisconsin, maybe Belmont, now Marquette). I see a lot of Big East basketball and Ewing had no system whatsoever.

usc4valpo

vu84v2 - just kidding about Ewing, but it would be cool to see him on the sideline.

I still go with Ben McCollum at NW Mo St., but he is looking for something better.

Dr. T

Meanwhile, in the MVC, I'm hearing rumblings of Darian DeVries to Notre Dame. My oh my how different of a trajectory we're on ...

VU75

Quote from: Dr. T on March 11, 2023, 09:56:07 PMMeanwhile, in the MVC, I'm hearing rumblings of Darian DeVries to Notre Dame. My oh my how different of a trajectory we're on ...

Wow a little Karma there.  Do I disremember or didn't Drake try to hire Homer when Bryce was a sophomore?

usc4valpo

I think Drake was going after Homer after 98 Sweet 16 season when his stock was high.

DeVries is an excellent coach and has gotten more interest being "Des Moines' team". He would be excellent at Notre Dame and may bring his son with him.

As for McCollum:

https://bearcatsports.com/news/2023/3/11/mens-basketball-northwest-hammers-southern-arkansas-in-ncaa-first-round-94-69.aspx

VULB#62

Meanwhile.....

Indiana Wesleyan dropped a second round OT final in the NAIA National Championship to finish 21-10.

tiny707

VU2014

oklahomamick

Being in oru country, many were afraid what oru basketball would look like after Sutton was let go, for not letting his brother go....it's safe to say that oru more than landed on its feet.  The new and young AD, I graduated high school with in small town Oklahoma, picked the right coach. Conference championships and a sweet 16 oru is trending in the right direction after parting way with a long time coach. 

Don't think it was a good fit or would ever happen, but kampe would have done a better job than ML.  Let's be honest just about every coach from our old conference would have done better
CRUSADERS!!!

tiny707

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on March 12, 2023, 12:27:39 PM
This game got Lottich a contract extension... a healthy reminder to not make huge decisions based on emotion...

https://twitter.com/livestrong83062/status/1632770380359258112?s=46&t=cNk7taMAYtxNl1Q0_O79Gw

So if Kiser or Gordon had turned the ball over we might be better off today? You could be right.

oklahomamick

Bryce going to the dance again.

Was talking to a buddy who coached soccer at Grand Canyon
During Bryce's first year.  He told me that Grand Canyon budget is 4x larger than the next school in the WAC and that he should go to the tourney every year (though he was a 5 seed in the WAC). 

So the opposite of his time at valpo. 
CRUSADERS!!!