• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

We have a coach! Roger Powell Jr

Started by vok22, April 07, 2023, 10:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Matt Lottich goes to Missouri as Special Assistant to the Head Coach.

humbleopinion

Quote from: valpopal on June 05, 2023, 06:17:42 PM
Matt Lottich goes to Missouri as Special Assistant to the Head Coach.

Glad to see he landed on his feet.
Beamin' Beacons

VULB#62

historyman

The Columbia Missourian had a blurb about Gates hiring Matt Lottich. It wasn't much.

Mizzou hires former Valpo coach Lottich as special assistant to Gates | Mizzou Men's Basketball | columbiamissourian.com

Rock M Nation also had a bit on the Lottich hire:

That wasn't the only news around the basketball program yesterday. Dennis Gates officially added to the staff on Monday. With the loss of Michael Fly in the offseason, he had an extra spot on staff.

Jeff Goodman

@GoodmanHoopsMissouri's Dennis Gates is hiring former Valparaiso head coach Matt Lottich as special assistant to the head coach, source told
@stadium.

5:36 PM · Jun 5, 2023
·

Views
[And the new guys and gals moved in!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Good to see for him and his family.  Hopefully he can resurrect his career in getting a better HC foundation, so that he will be prepared to lead a different program in the future.
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

crusader05

Wichita State as Director of Basketball Operations

oklahomamick

Sounds like both landed and bigger programs but without real coaching assignments or responsibilities. 
CRUSADERS!!!

justducky

Quote from: oklahomamick on June 12, 2023, 07:51:01 AM
Sounds like both landed and bigger programs but without real coaching assignments or responsibilities.

Yes! Just call them functionary facilitators.

valpopal

One of Coach Powell's first hires in April, Kylen Butler as a special assistant, has already left to join the Eastern Illinois University coaching staff as an assistant.

VULB#62

Sensing from Paul that the shift involved more responsibility and more $$.  The current coaching carousel blows my mind. But it seems to be a no biggie across the board.

wh

Valpo Joe

I CAN"T WAIT ;D   RPJ is the REAL THING  ;D  VALPO IS SO FORTUNATE TO HAVE SIGNED HIM  ;D  A NEW CHAPTER IN VALPO BB HAS STARTED  ;D  THE LAST 6 - 7 YEARS WE"RE WORTH SUFFERING THROUGH :thumbsup:   GO VALPO :thewave:

vu72

Great article about Coach Powell's philosophy and challenges going forward.  Interesting to read that apparently the departure of Ibra Bayu was based on academics not a desire to move on.

From the News-Gazette in Champaign:

https://www.news-gazette.com/newsletter/content/sports/illini_basketball/roger-powell-jr-facing-new-challenges-at-valpo/article_3eb8954a-4153-5401-a343-041f65cbc0c4.html?utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Coaches connect with community, each other
Valparaiso hosts inaugural Coaches Bus Tour throughout Northwest Indiana

PAUL OREN
JUL 14

PAID

Another outstanding PO story. Full of information that I'd love to highlight and talk about. Of course, I wouldn't not knowing whether everyone is a paid subscriber. I'll just say this. If you're not a subscriber, you're missing out on Paul's best work. Now that he's no longer restricted to a specific length, his pieces are over the top with great info, interesting quotes, personal thoughts, etc.

BTW, I'm not Paul's agent lol, but I believe when someone pours themselves into something the way he has and meets a critical need that we benefit from, that person should be properly supported in return.

VULB#62

Reading Paul's TVB piece about the coaches bus tour was really uplifting.  And this event was the brainchild of our "new" AD. Hard to believe that it was only a year ago that Charles Small signed on. So many positive things have happened in so short a time span since he came aboard.

valpopal

The recruiting continues in Las Vegas this week:

[tweet]1680278672312262656[/tweet]

wh

Quote from: valpopal on July 15, 2023, 01:28:16 PM
The recruiting continues in Las Vegas this week:

[tweet]1680278672312262656[/tweet]

I have to wonder - was the last coaching staff running all over the country like this? If they weren't, they should have been. If they were, there was little evidence of it, either in offers or commits. As a former adjunct I told my business  students that the number one way to gain a competitive advantage over their peers is to work harder than they do. I have a feeling Roger shares that philosophy.

Pgmado

Quote from: wh on July 14, 2023, 10:05:21 PMBTW, I'm not Paul's agent lol, but I believe when someone pours themselves into something the way he has and meets a critical need that we benefit from, that person should be properly supported in return.

I truly appreciate the kind words. I'm excited for the next year. Both in hoping the product grows on the floor as well as the site itself. I need to figure out a way to generate more revenue, whether that be through a slight price uptick, advertising, some sort of teleathon (haha) or all of the above. This has been the most rewarding professional work I've done, but not necessarily financially.

vu72

Quote from: Pgmado on July 15, 2023, 04:42:06 PMwhether that be through a slight price uptick,

I'm pretty sure the folks on this board can afford another dollar or two a month!  Get what you need so that we can get what we need!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Quote from: wh on July 15, 2023, 03:40:31 PMI have to wonder - was the last coaching staff running all over the country like this?

Probably not but, not only does Powell have the full support of the AD and President, my guess is that a pretty large amount of money came into the program via the Day of Giving and other ongoing fund raising efforts once the Powell news was out.

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on July 15, 2023, 04:53:46 PM
Quote from: Pgmado on July 15, 2023, 04:42:06 PMwhether that be through a slight price uptick,

I'm pretty sure the folks on this board can afford another dollar or two a month!  Get what you need so that we can get what we need!

That....... And, while I think the super clean design of TVB is what visually attracts me to it (and Paul's writing, of course), I would not mind, say, a bottom-placed advertising banner that could help pay the bills. This forum has one, MVCFans has two (that are irritating because they partially cover content until you x them), and the PFLFanForum has one as well. I don't know if TVB's current vehicle allows for that, however.

valpopal

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 16, 2023, 08:34:11 AM
Quote from: vu72 on July 15, 2023, 04:53:46 PM

That....... And, while I think the super clean design of TVB is what visually attracts me to it (and Paul's writing, of course), I would not mind, say, a bottom-placed advertising banner that could help pay the bills. This forum has one, MVCFans has two (that are irritating because they partially cover content until you x them), and the PFLFanForum has one as well. I don't know if TVB's current vehicle allows for that, however.
As a fellow Substack author, I know the platform is not keen on ads, since they are concerned about a clean presentation for a better reader-writer experience. But they currently do not object to unobtrusive advertising content by authors, and they don't have any policies in place that prohibit publishers from it. Nevertheless, Substack is primarily subscription based, and it receives 10% of subscription fees. Substack makes no money from advertising on the platform—remaining officially "ad-free." I imagine they will be addressing advertising more closely in the future. However, they now advise that any advertising done adheres to the Publisher Agreement and Content Guidelines which prohibit certain practices around advertising and monetizing a publication. Substack's official stance on advertising: "At Substack, we believe that direct relationships between readers and writers make for a healthier information ecosystem. That's why our business model relies solely on subscriptions instead of revenue from advertisers. That said, you're welcome to host sponsored content and we don't have any policies in place that prohibit publishers from doing so."