• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NIT Time!

Started by govalpogo, March 07, 2012, 04:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

govalpogo

This is my attempt at helping us to move forward and away from last night's...events.  I know that the venting will continue (and should as it needs to)  but I for one don't want to keeping logging in and becoming angry by what I read.  Right then:

As the banner on the top of the screen indicates, Valparaiso University Men's Basketball is now setting their sights on the NIT post season tournament.  In my 5 short years of fandom, this is the highest level of postseason play that a Valpo team has been in, which is exciting!  Hopefully, this year's team will get up for the tournament and not write it off as a "PB&J tournament" as one former player from last year dubbed the CIT.  So, what kind of seed will VU attain? Who are some potential opponents?  Can we win a game or two?  What about the whole thing?   

govalpogo

Not updated quite yet, but... http://nitology.com/

Personally, a 7vs2 at NC State would be cool for me and my Triangle friends!

covufan

I think the NIT needs to take a lesson from the NCAA tournament, and especially the play-in games.  The NIT should schedule several stadiums around the country for double-headers on Tuesday and Wednesday.  The fans in the area would know about the game ahead of time and buy tickets at the right price.  Some of the last second home games in the NIT have very sparse crowds.  Doesn't the play-in game in Dayton usually sell out?  Also, if they have double-headers, they could know ahead of time where to send the broadcast crew, and set up things for potential teams with local hotels, etc. 

grad66

Yes, let us get behind these guys who have worked so hard for all of Valpo this season.  They deserve our support
and best wishes to win a couple (at least)!!  Go Valpo!! :thumbsup:

sectionee

I think we end up against Northwestern or Iowa from the Big10

lowposter

Northwestern would be a great matchup.

MattCarter

Quote from: sectionee on March 07, 2012, 09:17:47 PMI think we end up against Northwestern or Iowa from the Big10
I'd be up for a trip to either one, actually.  Iowa isn't that far off...what about 6 hour drive?
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

valpo84

Reposting here as it probably belonged better in an NIT discussion.

As to the NIT, this team needs to learn how to beat a Big 6 conference team to really be prepared for next year. The good thing about the NIT is we will likely have a good match up in that 1st round. Northwestern sits out there, a mediocre ACC (NC State, Va Tech (a Boggs reunion)), Big 12/Pac 10 or Big Least team as well. I believe it was Wichita State who had a tremendous NIT run last year and that set them up for this year.  We have been on a 5 year building program, I still think we are one year ahead of that plan. An NCAA bid this year would have had us completing that 5-yr plan. Yet, we have an HL championship, an auto NIT, POY, COY, 1st teamer KVH, and integrated 3 new players. That means we are set up for their senior years very well. We learned about winning the conference, we learned about playing at hostile environs, we competed against Arizona and a half w OSU. But for this team to make the leap for the whole program, it needs a couple big name team wins, and the NIT is the place to go hunting.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpotx

Maybe we can get retribution against NC State for canceling the return game against us, or against Iowa for us not being able to capitalize at the end in 2002-2003  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

DMvalpo18

Quote from: valpo84 on March 07, 2012, 10:31:05 PM
Reposting here as it probably belonged better in an NIT discussion.

As to the NIT, this team needs to learn how to beat a Big 6 conference team to really be prepared for next year. The good thing about the NIT is we will likely have a good match up in that 1st round. Northwestern sits out there, a mediocre ACC (NC State, Va Tech (a Boggs reunion)), Big 12/Pac 10 or Big Least team as well. I believe it was Wichita State who had a tremendous NIT run last year and that set them up for this year.  We have been on a 5 year building program, I still think we are one year ahead of that plan. An NCAA bid this year would have had us completing that 5-yr plan. Yet, we have an HL championship, an auto NIT, POY, COY, 1st teamer KVH, and integrated 3 new players. That means we are set up for their senior years very well. We learned about winning the conference, we learned about playing at hostile environs, we competed against Arizona and a half w OSU. But for this team to make the leap for the whole program, it needs a couple big name team wins, and the NIT is the place to go hunting.

I agree. If we were in the NCAA's, my feeling would glad to be there but not expecting a win. That's just the reality when you are put up against Baylor, or Michigan State, etc. But in the NIT I really think we need to win games. They are much more winnable, and otherwise we would never have an opportunity to play against a middle of the pack power 6 team. They just don't want to play teams like us if they don't have to.

vusupporter

Ole Miss would be interesting.

DMvalpo18

Haha. Drawing Ole Miss would be quite interesting. I wonder how much the commentators would be talking about the shot.

valpopal

How about a trip to Illinois for Coach Powell?

dylanrocks

Quote from: valpopal on March 08, 2012, 10:15:15 AM

Illinois? I think it will be too busy making a coaching change.

valporun

Quote from: dylanrocks on March 08, 2012, 10:26:47 AM
Quote from: valpopal on March 08, 2012, 10:15:15 AM

Illinois? I think it will be too busy making a coaching change.

If Weber is fired after today's game against Iowa, and Illinois was to make a postseason tourney, I could see them naming Wayne McClain as interim coach for the postseason.

vuweathernerd

my vote's for a game at nd state. and yes, i'm fully aware that it's completely illogical. but hey, an isolated guy can dream, right?  :)

talksalot

OK, With Illinois and Northwestern as the obvious choices (now that the cats lost in OT against Da Gophers)... Let me add another neat option... Bucknell.  They Won the Patriot League Regular Season, Lost the Championship game on their home court to a kinda rival (Lehigh), got out-played in the championship game by a guy named "McCullom" (how's that for weird)... they are an academic peer of Valpo.   OH, and the obvious reason is that my sister is a Bison Graduate and the smack talk would carry on for YEARS!!  I'm liking that as a 4-5 matchup. 

Truthfully?  I'm hoping it's Northwestern... we could get a nice showing up there on a Tuesday night.

What I really DON'T like is the prospect of going to the Maybe Center in Tulsa; the eagles are pretty good, lost in the semis to the Leathernecks... I saw one matchup with them as a 3 and us getting a 6.   

Another one I would not enjoy is taking on the loser of the Kent State / Ohio match-up... on their court.

dylanrocks

Valparaiso at Northwestern.

That's where regular-season champion Milwaukee was sent last year.

milanmiracle

Unless they're playing a BCS team I'm not to excited. I think this gives Valpo the opportunity to prepare for next year. Since everybody is back you don't have to play for the seniors and can experiment with some different things.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

agibson

My travel schedule was set up for the NCAA, not the NIT.  I may be watching this one on the road too.  Maybe they'll wind up somewhere out here in NY or NJ?  I just might manage to get there on a Tuesday evening.

I've not looked at past NIT's.  Is the seeding more about geography than about performance?

If this was seeded like the NCAA, I'd be wondering if we could get off the eight line.

Savannah State should be comfortably below us.  With Bucknell and UT Arlington sort of keeping us company.

The Big West isn't going to help us.  Probably the SWAC is our last hope?  Looks like we'll probably merit an 8 seed, unless they're more RPI-immune than the NCAA.

valpotx

I doubt that we get setup with another mid-major team.  It usually works out that the power conferences end up with the higher seeds, and the mid-majors are 4 and above.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

I notice that Milwaukee last year, with an RPI exactly like ours (94) managed a 5 seed.  Above exactly one at-large: Harvard (RPI 40).

So there's at least some precedent for "better than an at-large" seed, even if it's not merited by strict RPI considerations.  Of course, this year, with fewer small conference upsets, we might need that "help" to get a 6 or even a 7 seed.

And, the related question: if Cleveland State gets into the NIT, will they get a higher seed than we?

lowposter

Bucknell would be outstanding.  That is quite a program.  Beautiful campus and great facility.  Smart kids, very similar school to VU.

As mentioned earlier, Northwestern would be great. 

lowposter

agibson

nitology.com updated.

http://nitology.com/

He agrees that we're an 8 seed.  In his latest updated Cleveland State gets pushed down to the double (maybe not good enough for NIT), and even Butler's listed there.  But, it seems that the NIT rarely does midmajors any favors when considering including a mid vs. a major.

His #1 seeds are Miami, Tennessee, Arizona, and... Iona.  Presumably they wouldn't send us to Arizona _again_.

Now, Iona.  Not the major we'd like to beat.  But, if we play them Tuesday night, I'm totally at the game.  Less than 90 minutes from here.

IndyValpo

Quote from: agibson on March 10, 2012, 08:13:26 AMnitology.com updated.

Looking at that group, an 8 seed seems appropriate.  The bracket they have has us going to Tennessee.