• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NIT Time!

Started by govalpogo, March 07, 2012, 04:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vusupporter

Vermont up 13 over top-seeded Stony Brook in America East title game with 13 to go - that would be big for us, as we're about 40 spots above Stony Brook in RPI.  Also want upsets in MEAC/SWAC title games today.

IndyValpo

Quote from: vusupporter on March 10, 2012, 11:19:07 AM
Vermont up 13 over top-seeded Stony Brook in America East title game with 13 to go - that would be big for us, as we're about 40 spots above Stony Brook in RPI.  Also want upsets in MEAC/SWAC title games today.
MEAC doesn't matter as Savannah State won the regular season and is already out....they will be the bottom of the NIT.  We definitely do want Mississippi Valley StaTe to lose in the SWAC.....Stony Brook is making a charge!

vuweathernerd

Quote from: agibson on March 10, 2012, 08:13:26 AM
nitology.com updated.

http://nitology.com/

He agrees that we're an 8 seed.  In his latest updated Cleveland State gets pushed down to the double (maybe not good enough for NIT), and even Butler's listed there.  But, it seems that the NIT rarely does midmajors any favors when considering including a mid vs. a major.

His #1 seeds are Miami, Tennessee, Arizona, and... Iona.  Presumably they wouldn't send us to Arizona _again_.

Now, Iona.  Not the major we'd like to beat.  But, if we play them Tuesday night, I'm totally at the game.  Less than 90 minutes from here.

let's not forget that we just played iona in the post-season last year, and it wasn't pretty at all.

valpo84

Tennessee? Didn't we beat a Cuonzo Martin team last year? Also remember that the NIT is looking for TV matchups so a Valpo-NW game is better for TV in Chicago. Seedings can be more easily manipulated here. Looking at UConn, who shouldn't be in NCAA, NIT could have some fun and have a rematch of last year's title game -- UConn/Butler. We owe Iona and hopefully, we would take the game a little more seriously this year.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

agibson

They do explicitly say in their rules that seeds can be adjusted up or down a spot to satisfy other requirements.  The main one seems to be regional play: to keep teams reasonably close to home (and, if they get interesting local match-ups, I suppose those don't hurt). 

Interesting that the second team from a conference is placed in a _different_ region than the first.

http://i.turner.ncaa.com/dr/ncaa/ncaa/release/sites/default/files/files/NIT_Principles_Procedures.pdf

valpo04

NIT Selection Show is tonight at 8CT on ESPNU.

nitology currently has us as an 8, at #1 Arizona.

valpotx

I liked it better when it had us as an 8 versus 1 Drexel.  Hopefully the NIT is like the NCAA and tries to avoid rematches in the first round...
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Their rules tell them to avoid them "when possible".

The nitology guy obviously doesn't think much of the NCAA's announced "first four out" of Oral Roberts, Nevada, Drexel, and Miami.  He's got only Miami as a #1 seed.

In any case, it seems that there's a fair chance of a match against a team we've played in the not so distant past.  Washington, Arizona, Ole Miss, Northwestern, ORU.

Too bad Iona got the NCAA at-large!

I don't know about Drexel... But I could probably make it down to Seton Hall.

vuweathernerd

7 seed, playing at miami. wednesday, 730 eastern. game will be on espn u.

vuweathernerd

cleveland state gets a 6, goes to stanford tuesday night at 11pm edt. another case of puzzling seedings...

StlVUFan

Larannaga is a turncoat in the MidMajority community.  Let's do this!

mj

How does Cleveland State get a higher seed than us? I guess this really shows the importance of the non-conference schedule. Hopefully we avoid IPFW and IUPUI like the plague from now on.
I believe that we will win.

agibson

I'm not surprised by the seeding.  It seemed entirely possible that either Cleveland State or Butler would be seeded higher than us, based on non-conference play.   The NIT apparently agreed for the case of Cleveland state, at least.

The CIT field seems to be set.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_CollegeInsider.com_Tournament
With no Horizon League reps.  (I've not seen an official announcement - it wouldn't be _too_ surprising if wikipedia's wrong here, but most of the match-ups are as reported by one or another press outlet.)

Butler to the CBI?  The CBI tweets their bracket will be out soon.

https://twitter.com/#!/CBIbyZebraPen

valporun

I think Cleveland State received a higher seed because they had that "upset" of Vanderbilt, who won the SEC tourney over #1 Kentucky. That probably played right into CSU's seeding hands.

agibson

@ConnorPelton128 is somehow tweeting some CBI info.  Evansville, Washington State, San Francisco, Wyoming.... Milwaukee.

agibson

Playing at TCU, apparently.  Tuesday.

Valpo2010

Butler and Milwaukee to the CBI

agibson

Butler to host Delaware on Wednesday.  8 PM Eastern on HDNet.

At five, this is the most Horizon League teams ever in the post-season.

milldew72

So someone explain how CSU gets into the NIT as a 6, one seed better than Valpo.

historyman

Quote from: milldew72 on March 12, 2012, 08:57:30 AM
So someone explain how CSU gets into the NIT as a 6, one seed better than Valpo.

Their big win was over Vanderbilt who beat Kentucky in the SEC final. That win looks really big now that Kentucky was named the overall #1 seed in the NCAA tourney.

If you look at the match-ups in the NIT this year they didn't do much at all of trying to match-up teams regionally (Valpo at Northwestern) which seems to be a break from the norm for the NIT.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1000590/NIT_Tournament_Bracket.png

agibson

You'd think they'd take head-to-head play pretty seriously.  Which makes it tough to rank CSU higher.

But, CSU does have a somewhat better RPI.  They have fewer bad losses.  They share one of our top-100 wins (Akron).  Their other two look pretty good today: Vanderbilt who won the SEC tournament, and St. Bonaventure who won the A10 tournament.  They have fewer bad losses, but didn't do as well against the RPI 51-100 (losing to South Florida, Drexel, and us twice).

So, I suppose, avoiding bad losses and getting one blue chip win were more important than head-to-head victories and beating peer teams. 

If we'd avoided IPFW, IUPUI, and Wright State losses, would it have been us?

milldew72

Quote from: agibson on March 12, 2012, 09:33:44 AM
You'd think they'd take head-to-head play pretty seriously.  Which makes it tough to rank CSU higher.

But, CSU does have a somewhat better RPI.  They have fewer bad losses.  They share one of our top-100 wins (Akron).  Their other two look pretty good today: Vanderbilt who won the SEC tournament, and St. Bonaventure who won the A10 tournament.  They have fewer bad losses, but didn't do as well against the RPI 51-100 (losing to South Florida, Drexel, and us twice).

So, I suppose, avoiding bad losses and getting one blue chip win were more important than head-to-head victories and beating peer teams. 

If we'd avoided IPFW, IUPUI, and Wright State losses, would it have been us?

If we'd avoided IPFW, IUPUI and Wright State, maybe we would've gotten an at-large to the NCAA's.

IndyValpo

Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 11, 2012, 08:14:26 PM
cleveland state gets a 6, goes to stanford tuesday night at 11pm edt. another case of puzzling seedings...
The NIT seedings look like they were done by Dick Vitale...Big Conferences prevail.  I know that RPI is only a portion but Marshall was the highest team not selected by the NCAA and they are seeded a 5. ORU was listed by the committee as a final 5 not in and are seeded a 4.  All four A10 teams were overseeded.  Pretty sad job by the committee.  Having said that, other than perhaps being ahead of Cleveland State, we are where we should be.

valporun

The NIT, being owned by the NCAA, always looks at the majors as better seeds for the attendance/money purposes. You look at the #1 seeds (Washington, Tennessee, Seton Hall, and Arizona) are all from Big 6 conferences. The NIT, since the evolution of the NCAA Tourney as the National Championship tournament, has been more of a money grab, and used to be a recruiting tool. Now it seems that the NIT is a "slap in the face" compared to when it was the tournament that decided the National Champion.

MattCarter

Quote from: agibson on March 12, 2012, 09:33:44 AMYou'd think they'd take head-to-head play pretty seriously.  Which makes it tough to rank CSU higher. But, CSU does have a somewhat better RPI.  They have fewer bad losses.  They share one of our top-100 wins (Akron).  Their other two look pretty good today: Vanderbilt who won the SEC tournament, and St. Bonaventure who won the A10 tournament.  They have fewer bad losses, but didn't do as well against the RPI 51-100 (losing to South Florida, Drexel, and us twice). So, I suppose, avoiding bad losses and getting one blue chip win were more important than head-to-head victories and beating peer teams. If we'd avoided IPFW, IUPUI, and Wright State losses, would it have been us?
I don't know man...Unless VU controls its own destiny, we won't get any favors.  VU is small and brings in very little fans to whatever NCAA or NIT venue.  Its all about money, folks and don't let anything else fool you.

CSU lost to flippin Hofstra and we beat em soundly twice.  The SID for CSU says their 2 wins over Detroit helped....ummmm Hello?
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!