• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Law Dean's Departure

Started by sfnmman, March 07, 2013, 09:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfnmman

Does anyone have more information about the law school dean's departure?  Seems that his departure announcement was brief with few details.  Kind of hints of not a welcome change.  The university news on its web site is very weak and no notice of the law dean's resignation posted.  What is going on?

vu72

Wow! That is a shock.  He's been the dean for a long time.  Here is what he said:

Dear Alumni and Friends:

I have just announced my departure from Valparaiso University Law School. Effective April 15, I will move to a new position as Dean of the Charlotte School of Law in Charlotte, North Carolina.

In the nearly 15 years I have served as Dean, the Law School has had many successes and accomplishments. The one of which I am most proud is building sustainable diversity at the school, most notably in the student body–the percentage of underrepresented minority students has been in the 30-35% range for some time. We have also doubled the number of live client clinics and built a state-of-the-art facility for clinical and skills education. I could easily go on, but you have read my semi-annual alumni letters over the years, and can also take a look at our web site (www.valpo.edu/law).

It has been a privilege to come to know and work with hundreds of you over the years, as we have collaborated to build a successful and innovative school. I will miss my many friends and partners among you, and wish you all well as you continue to support the school and participate in future initiatives.

Very best wishes,
Jay Conison
Dean and Professor, Valparaiso Law
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

As a friend of the family, though not having spoken to them for a few years, I'd have thought it might simply be because his kids are grown and he wanted a new challenge.

The timing is really weird, though, and gives me a sense of forBoden.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

It could be that he or his wife have family in the Charlotte area (or kids) and that is where ultimately they would want to retire.  Charlotte has just slightly better weather than Valpo.  ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: sfnmman on March 07, 2013, 09:45:21 AMSeems that his departure announcement was brief with few details.  Kind of hints of not a welcome change.  The university news on its web site is very weak and no notice of the law dean's resignation posted.  What is going on?

I'm not sure what public releases were made, but the timeline seems more or less typical for academic searches.

It's about the time of the year when hiring decisions are being made.  Conison's departure was announced (at least internally at VU) a couple of weeks ago.  I don't know, off hand, how typical it is for a resignation to be effective on short notice rather than after e.g. a couple of months.  The interim was announced a couple of days ago.  A search is under way for a permanent replacement.

Here's the announcement, from the Provost, of the interim.

I am very pleased to announce the appointment of Professor Ivan Bodensteiner as Interim Dean of Valparaiso University Law School, effective March 13, 2013. A national search process is already under way, and Professor Bodensteiner will serve in this position until a new dean is appointed.

A 1965 graduate of Loras College, Professor Bodensteiner received his law degree from the University of Notre Dame in 1968. He joined the faculty of Valparaiso University in 1972 and served as Dean of the Law School from 1985 to 1990. He also served a one-year term as Acting Dean from 1997 to 1998.

As a nationally recognized authority on constitutional law and civil rights, Professor Bodensteiner has developed the Law School's pro bono program and is a former director of its Clinical Program. He is a member of the Indiana and Colorado bars, and he remains active in civil rights litigation.

I am glad that the University has in its midst such an experienced and distinguished faculty member to serve as Interim Dean. Please join me in welcoming Professor Bodensteiner to his new leadership role during this time of transition.

vu72

Quote from: agibson on March 07, 2013, 12:14:23 PM
Quote from: sfnmman on March 07, 2013, 09:45:21 AMSeems that his departure announcement was brief with few details.  Kind of hints of not a welcome change.  The university news on its web site is very weak and no notice of the law dean's resignation posted.  What is going on?

I'm not sure what public releases were made, but the timeline seems more or less typical for academic searches.

It's about the time of the year when hiring decisions are being made.  Conison's departure was announced (at least internally at VU) a couple of weeks ago.  I don't know, off hand, how typical it is for a resignation to be effective on short notice rather than after e.g. a couple of months.  The interim was announced a couple of days ago.  A search is under way for a permanent replacement.

Here's the announcement, from the Provost, of the interim.

I am very pleased to announce the appointment of Professor Ivan Bodensteiner as Interim Dean of Valparaiso University Law School, effective March 13, 2013. A national search process is already under way, and Professor Bodensteiner will serve in this position until a new dean is appointed.

A 1965 graduate of Loras College, Professor Bodensteiner received his law degree from the University of Notre Dame in 1968. He joined the faculty of Valparaiso University in 1972 and served as Dean of the Law School from 1985 to 1990. He also served a one-year term as Acting Dean from 1997 to 1998.

As a nationally recognized authority on constitutional law and civil rights, Professor Bodensteiner has developed the Law School's pro bono program and is a former director of its Clinical Program. He is a member of the Indiana and Colorado bars, and he remains active in civil rights litigation.

I am glad that the University has in its midst such an experienced and distinguished faculty member to serve as Interim Dean. Please join me in welcoming Professor Bodensteiner to his new leadership role during this time of transition.

What I posted above and what agibson posted can both be found on the law school site.