• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Football recruiting 2023

Started by IndyValpo, April 29, 2022, 01:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soapyjeans

Team stats for 2022 showed me that Valpo prefers a ground game, hence not favorable to WR (Valpo has 5 WR in the portal now).  I looked at attempts vs completions on rushing then compared them to passing plays.  And since coaches use stats to evaluate players performance it just makes sense they would tell the tale (its just a phrase) :twocents: 

valpofb16

418 rush - 352 pass .... Roughly 54% - 46%

Will be harder to find more of a balance with an All Conference / All Division RB in any level of football...

JD24

Quote from: soapyjeans on December 20, 2022, 08:59:00 AMTeam stats for 2022 showed me that Valpo prefers a ground game, hence not favorable to WR (Valpo has 5 WR in the portal now).  I looked at attempts vs completions on rushing then compared them to passing plays.  And since coaches use stats to evaluate players performance it just makes sense they would tell the tale (its just a phrase) :twocents:
Valpo's offense doesn't favor the run game any much more than most teams including those in the PFL. In fact they were in the top 4 or 5 in the league in passing stats.

Whatever you think you see is not supported in evidence.

soapyjeans

Ok, this was speculation about losing 5 WR to the portal, I refer to the stats because it shows results of plays complete and incomplete, thats all.  I'll just leave the forum to you, how's that.  :twocents:

valpofb16

Mikey was 3rd in Completion % / Completions Per game in the conference as a first year starter

5th in overall efficiency with the #1 SOS. 8th in touchdowns.

Lots of roster spots still avl. Locke, Yeats, Semp, Acker, Martin, Stewart is a good batch of freshman.

JD24

Whatever the issue is, I doubt it is the philosophy of the offense that is causing it. These kids don't need to pad their stats for draft day.

Keep in mind that these ar 18-22 year old kids for which merely being "in the portal" can be worn like a badge of honor. After all, if Mo and Curly are in the portal, Larry better get in there too or he's a luckless loser.

valpofb16

Will Thorgesen has decommitted.

Looks like Valpo had picked up a 2022 RB Grad in Daniel Anoh out of Palisades California.

James Owsley 6'6 300 LB OL from Centerville in Ohio has committed

RB: Beidl , Thomas , Anoh (22)
OL: Rosen , Stierheim , Mickelberry (22), James Owsley
DL: Morris , Batres

vu72

With Appel at the helm I would think a number of WR from higher levels would consider Valpo as a landing spot.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpofb16

New Commit:

Justin Hemmersbach 6'2 270 OL Morris IL

OL: Rosen , Stierheim , Mickelberry (22), Owsley, Hemmersbach

FWIW Bartholomew has entered the portal as a 6th year place kicker

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on December 21, 2022, 02:14:54 PMFWIW Bartholomew has entered the portal as a 6th year place kicker
an entry which actually makes sense

NWIGuy

I didn't see this posted on this board anywhere, although, I may have missed it. Looks like Coach Smith is leaving or being assigned a different position. This may provided some context for the number of WR headed to the portal.

12/13/22 FootballScoop Post...

"Valparaiso (FCS - IN): Valparaiso is currently hiring a wide receivers coach. This position coach would work closely with the offensive coordinator and staff, with primary responsibilities being on-field coaching, development and national recruitment of academically qualified student athletes. As a full time, benefits-eligible role, the successful candidate will have demonstrated success as a coach, recruiter, and strong interpersonal skills. Please send resume, cover letter, and references to landon.fox@valpo.edu."

https://footballscoop.com/thescoop/the-scoop-tuesday-december-13-2022

valpofb16

Entire Wideout group was already in the portal by the 13th.

This may be a cause and effect type deal. Maybe a change can convince guys like Maxwell , Contreras , Ross and Bingham to give it another try.

Personally would like to see Fred back. Would not like to see Miran back.

valpofb16

New Commit:

Nate Meyer OL 6'3 270 Fairmont , Ohio

OL: Rosen , Stierheim , Mickelberry (22), Owsley, Hemmersbach, Meyer

FWIW Bartholomew has entered the portal as a 6th year place kicker

valpotx

Too bad Bartholomew didn't have a season like last season.  He will probably land somewhere higher up, but probably would have landed somewhere solid, if he repeated his consistency.  Don't fault him one bit.  He has graduated with a Valpo degree, and fulfilled his commitment.
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpotx on December 28, 2022, 06:08:50 PM
Too bad Bartholomew didn't have a season like last season.  He will probably land somewhere higher up, but probably would have landed somewhere solid, if he repeated his consistency.  Don't fault him one bit.  He has graduated with a Valpo degree, and fulfilled his commitment.
Something tells me the Butler tape will not be in his recruiting video.

valpofb16

New Commit:

Logan Petrie 6'0 255 DT Indianapolis, IN - Brebeuf

DL: Morris , Batres, Petrie

valpofb16

New Commit:

Ezekiel Zeff 6'2 300 DT IMG Academy - Florida

DL: Morris , Batres, Petrie, Zeff

valpofb16

Always tough to verify but believe we have landed two transfers

6'2 225 RB Maliq Staten Lincoln University  - Philadelphia, PA RSSO

6'4 200 WR Jack Oedekoven Robert Morris University - Erie, PA RSJR

valpofb16

New Commit:

Jake Russell 6'3 270 OL - Glenn Ridge - New Jersey

OL: Rosen , Stierheim , Mickelberry (22), Owsley, Hemmersbach, Meyer, Russell

valpofb16

3 year fringe starter OL Danny Files has entered the portal. Bringing total to 20.

Anthony Hightower ended up at coffeyville cc

valpofb16

New Commit: RSFR Ryan Pauley 6'3 285 OL - Presbyterian College

OL: Rosen , Stierheim , Mickelberry (22), Owsley, Hemmersbach, Meyer, Russell, Pauley (22)

valpofb16

New Commit: Tyler Geiman CB 6'1 180 Dubuque - D3 All American

OL: Rosen , Stierheim , Mickelberry (22), Owsley, Hemmersbach, Meyer, Russell, Pauley (22)
DB: Geiman (19)

High School class in parenthesis

vu72

Quote from: valpofb16 on January 11, 2023, 01:00:08 PM

Wow!  Great get with good size, not the 5'9" corners we've had in the past.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FBFan22

Love the work this staff has been doing with recuiting HS players.  Hope they can land a few more transfer portal guys to fill holes on offense.

Heard Coach Denecke (OL) has taken the OC job at Western Illinois.  Great opportunity for him.   Coach Fox now needs to hire: OL, WR and RB coaches -- which he should have no problem doing.  This is the nature of the coaching profession.

Wonder if Jack Jarnigan has applied for the OL job? Would be a natural fit (VUFB alum coaching at NMSU) if he's interested.

David81

Quote from: vu72 on January 11, 2023, 01:10:33 PM
Quote from: valpofb16 on January 11, 2023, 01:00:08 PM

Wow!  Great get with good size, not the 5'9" corners we've had in the past.

Geiman looks like a grad transfer or COVID bonus senior. His junior year was superb:

https://udspartans.com/sports/football/roster/tyler-geiman/2309

Can we generalize on how DIII stars translate into DI non-scholarship?