• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Coaches - 2023 Season

Started by valpofb16, January 24, 2023, 06:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

James Gilbert will be RB coach, went to camp with Rams, former Kansas State and Ball State RB

IndyValpo

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 24, 2023, 02:14:23 PM
Wondered how long he'd stay. Shoot, scholarship FCS URI, BC in the ACC, then ....... little ole Valpo?

TOTAL OFFENSIVE STAFF REBUILD  :(

It seems like Fox adds staff knowing they will jump and must be ok with it. The 2 defensive guys don't fall into that but many do.

valpofb16

Fleming letting Fox fill out a staff probably to Flemings liking and him leaving in the cycle is not a great look/move.

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpofb16 on February 24, 2023, 02:08:33 PM
Confirmed Fleming is gone.

My first call would be to Cory Colder
Fleming is heading to Lamar. Back to scholarship FCS. Lamar was one of the worst teams in FCS last year

IndyValpo

Quote from: Beacboy11 on February 25, 2023, 01:48:14 PM
Big news on Daugherty and Lutgens who have been with Fox for a while. Would guess Ghilarducci stays on to be Defensive Coordinator with Fox? At least the defense and recruiting should stay the same between those 2
Daughtery going to UIndy. A move to a good D2 program that is rumored to be considering the OVC.

valpofb16

Indy native. Uindy would do excellent in the OVC. Glad they realized how to build an athletic program. If you want sustainable success focus on football.

Largest number of donors for the department.

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpofb16 on February 26, 2023, 01:12:02 PM
James Gilbert will be RB coach, went to camp with Rams, former Kansas State and Ball State RB
That was quick, he is now a grad assistant at Purdue.

valpofb16

Gilbert took a position that is extremely hard to get.

Little surprised coordinators have not been named. I know of few applicants on O side that would be great fit. And think there's a big time plus in making RJ the DC. (In name only of course, Fox calls D)

IndyValpo

Interesting that Smith, Johnson, Lutgens and Duncan still have not announced their next job. Lutgens and Duncan still list Valpo.

valpofb16

Usually that means moving on wasn't their decision

VULB#62

I know this is kinda late to be bringing this up, but I looked at the roster for the game with SMSU this Saturday. It wasn't the players who caught my eye. It was the listing of the 14 coaches.

Fox - 5th season
Ghliarducci - 4th season
Smith - 1st season, but his second stint, so 2 seasons
The remaining eleven (11) coaches, including the two coordinators, are all in their first year under Fox, and to my limited knowledge, none of them previously coached with him at Dayton.

How can Fox build a consistent, winning football program while trying to slow down the staff revolving door that is spinning at hyper-speed? It's like Fox was just hired and is coaching his first Valpo season all over again. Instead of solid coach/player relationships built over seasons, 79% of the staff has to introduce themselves to veteran players as new comers. How do you recruit when guys who are responsible for areas of the country disappear off the radar screen at the height of recruiting?  And on and on......

valpofb16

Money / Ownership is biggest competitive advantage advantage in sports. And Valpo has shown zero interest in pumping funds to make its football team anything but the second lowest funded team in the non scholarship PFL.

But man do they schedule those pay games and scholarship opponents. I would imagine 3-5 sports funding comes from football, not to mention roughly 8-10% of the incoming male population.

It's time the University gave back