• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU Record Watch

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, November 24, 2012, 09:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Isn't it funny?  Both are good guesses--Buggs is 6 and Berdiel 3--but neither correct.

I would be willing to wager that if you asked everyone who #1 is in pretty much every other category, they'd be right 95% of the time.

Steals is a funny thing though.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

justducky

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 08, 2015, 07:00:20 PM
Isn't it funny?  Both are good guesses--Buggs is 6 and Berdiel 3--but neither correct.

I would be willing to wager that if you asked everyone who #1 is in pretty much every other category, they'd be right 95% of the time.

Steals is a funny thing though.
Is it  just me or is all the archived old past seasons records and information any longer available? A lot of good defenders come to mind but none seem to stand out. Jarod Loyd comes to mind but he didn't play much his freshman year and his senior year saw him come off the bench for maybe 24 minutes per game. I would think he would still be in the top ten. Brandon McPherson might also be surprisingly up there. He had the slight advantage of playing a few extra games before injury redshirting one season. I am just thinking out loud because I doubt that either would be the correct answer.

historyman

Stalin Ortiz, the Columbian? 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

The only 2 that come to mind that haven't already been mentioned are Lubos and Bryce, although I can't picture either one being quick enough or aggressive enough on defense to our all time leader. 

FWalum

If we are picking 2 then I would say Milo Stovall or Lubos Barton.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu84v2

My guess is Lubos Barton. He is at the top of almost every stat and given his playing time over all four years he seems like the logical choice.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu84v2

Since people are asking various trivia questions, I will pose this one.

Assuming a minimum of 4 points scored in their first game, name the three Valpo players in the last 20 years that had their ultimate career high scoring game in their very first game at Valpo.

LaPorteAveApostle

now that's a great question.  wow.

Tony Falu.

Kyle321n

Ooof I think Jordan Coleman was one of those.

edit: nope, he had 15 in his first game of his junior year and 16 twice his senior year.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

Pgmado

Quote from: vu84v2 on February 09, 2015, 10:05:34 AMAssuming a minimum of 4 points scored in their first game, name the three Valpo players in the last 20 years that had their ultimate career high scoring game in their very first game at Valpo.

Lubos Barton was one. Scored 27 in his first game, followed it up with 24 the next. Chased those numbers for the rest of his career.

vu84v2

I can't say that I had researched this question completely, though I am very confident that I have the right answers.  However, I had to go back and look at Falu.  He had 21 in his first game and only eclipsed it once. His best scoring game was 22 at Arizona.

vu84v2

It is not Jordan Coleman (I had to check that one too)

vu84v2

Lubos Barton is one.  27 points against South Carolina in November 1998 at the old RCA Dome in Indianapolis ("this place is bigger than Czech Airport")

justducky

Near record morning pace of activity indicated by multiple posts on a broad variety of topics (many useless)!

Hey its Monday morning so aren't you folks supposed to be working somewhere? If I were your boss I would be signing so many termination checks that I might need some extra pens!

LaPorteAveApostle

even if i weren't on vacation i'm a church musician...i work weekends ;)

vu84v2

My work requires working lots of hours, but only a small portion of those working hours are at a set time.  Imagine working 60 hours per week, but 50 of them can be whenever you want them to be.

LaPorteAveApostle

vu72

OK, Try this one.  How many times has Valpo won more then 22 games in a season? What is the record for most wins in a season?  And special bonus points:  In the modern era (Homer Drew on) how many players have started every game in their freshman year?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

dude, party foul.  there's a live question on the floor.

I GOT #2:

NATHAN STEGELMANN

book it

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 09, 2015, 04:33:47 PM
dude, party foul.  there's a live question on the floor.

I GOT #2:

NATHAN STEGELMANN

book it

Oh man... :(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu84v2

Nathan Stegelmann is the second one. The intramural legend!

LaPorteAveApostle

valpotx

Raitis Grafs, what a stud player to be included in the top 10 in so many categories! 
"Don't mess with Texas"