• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

another transfer possibility?

Started by vufan75, January 08, 2013, 05:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vufan75

According to chicagohoops.com, SLU transfer guard from Proviso East HS in the Chicago suburbs is considering several schools, and one mentioned in the article is Valpo. He is a quick and talented freshman point guard....perhaps Coaches Drew and Powell are working on yet another recruit from Illinois and the Chicago area.

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php/2011-08-04-18-06-26/576-slu-transfer-carter-weighs-options

SLU Transfer Carter Weighs Options

Category: Latest News Published on Tuesday, 08 January 2013 06:13 Written by Cavan Walsh

Saint Louis University transfer Keith Carter is weighing his options as he looks to move on to a new school.

Carter was one of the top prospects in the Illinois 2012 recruiting class.  He ran the point on a Proviso East team that went undefeated in the regular season before falling to Chicago Simeon in the state championship game.

Auburn, Cleveland State, Cal State-Fullerton and Valparaiso are the schools that have expressed an interest in Carter, who is looking to make a decision very soon.

What will be most important for Carter when making his decision? 

"The style of play and for the most part of somewhere I can come right in and play."

Carter, a freshman, is not currently looking at going the junior college route.

valpotx

Well, we should definitely have the ability to offer playing time.  I assume that he would need to sit out next season? 
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

He wouldn't have to because he could pull a Dority, having withdrawn by semester.

As detailed in THAT though, he would end up with 6 semesters of PT (sitting out a whole year would only get him 7).

Something about all this never adds up, ya know?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vuweathernerd

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 08, 2013, 06:54:20 PM
He wouldn't have to because he could pull a Dority, having withdrawn by semester.

As detailed in THAT though, he would end up with 6 semesters of PT (sitting out a whole year would only get him 7).

Something about all this never adds up, ya know?

i thought he'd have to have registered for spring classes at the new school in order to be eligible at semester. or am i thinking of some other rule.

LaPorteAveApostle

No.  Dority did not register here until the fall. 

Carter IS free to register elsewhere, though.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Here is his high school bio from the SLU site:

Four-year letterwinner at Proviso East High School in Maywood, Ill., a western suburb of Chicago ... garnered first-team All-State plaudits from the Associated Press and Chicago Tribune as a senior after the point guard helped Proviso East to a runner-up finish in the 4A state championship ... averaged more than 20 points per game and five assists per game his senior year ... helped the Pirates to a 32-1 record as a senior ... earned All-Conference honors his junior and sophomore seasons ... named MVP of the Proviso West Tournament his senior year after averaging more than 17 ppg during the four-game tourney ... was the runner-up for Mr. Basketball 2012 in voting conducted by the Chicago Tribune.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

I'm going to brag a little now since I called this way back in November/December when we played SLU. I really did think Carter would wait till the end of the season but I assume the absense of Majerus really changed things for him at Saint Louis.

Quote from: bbtds on November 30, 2012, 12:39:55 PMCarter, like many, had no Loyolaty. If Saint Louis doesn't find a better coach for next season I think you might see KC hitting the road for more colorful destinations and buying himself a ticket to a BCS team. He'd no longer be a Whitesell guy.

True, it was some real colorful humor.  ;)

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on January 08, 2013, 08:35:53 PM

Four-year letterwinner at Proviso East High School in Maywood, Ill., a western suburb of Chicago ... garnered first-team All-State plaudits from the Associated Press and Chicago Tribune as a senior after the point guard helped Proviso East to a runner-up finish in the 4A state championship ... averaged more than 20 points per game and five assists per game his senior year ... helped the Pirates to a 32-1 record as a senior ... earned All-Conference honors his junior and sophomore seasons ... named MVP of the Proviso West Tournament his senior year after averaging more than 17 ppg during the four-game tourney ... was the runner-up for Mr. Basketball 2012 in voting conducted by the Chicago Tribune.

In addition, according to Majerus at the time of Carter's signing, he was a good student: "Keith is also a very good student, ranking in the top 15 percent of his high school class," Majerus said. "He has compiled excellent scores in high school as well as on his college admission tests."

Pgmado

Just so long as he doesn't knock the ball out-of-bounds after a missed free throw.

wh

All these lofty HS accomplishments and yet he only plays in 3 games this year at SLU.  And, hasn't their star guard been out with injuries, which should have opened up more playing time?  Something doesn't add up, unless he has been on the shelf with injuries.

valporun

wh, he was recruited by Rick Majerus. It's possible that he only wanted to play for Majerus at SLU, not Crews, and sadly, upon Majerus's passing, Carter felt it was time to go, even if there was playing time to be had at SLU this season.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on January 08, 2013, 11:24:15 PM

All these lofty HS accomplishments and yet he only plays in 3 games this year at SLU.  And, hasn't their star guard been out with injuries, which should have opened up more playing time?  Something doesn't add up, unless he has been on the shelf with injuries.

Before the Valpo at Saint Louis game I said:

Quote from: bbtds on November 30, 2012, 10:02:41 AM
Rumors and hopes from Saint Louis fans are that their freshman phenom, Keith Carter, will be ready to play. Rick Majerus called him the second most talented guard he's ever recruited. Carter suffered a leg injury very early in the season, it got bent the wrong way. He's from Proviso East and lives in Maywood. He was recruited by Whitesell to Loyola. Whitesell is now a SLU asst coach. Carter switched to the Billikens when Jim W. was fired by the Ramblers.

http://ballislife.com/keith-carter-proviso-east/
So Carter's injury had him sidelined about the same amount of time as Kwamain Mitchell, the Billikens star guard. He came back after the death of Majerus and saw that Crews was not the coach he was looking for and Saint Louis was no longer the situation he wanted. That is why he played so few games.

wh

Quote from: bbtds on January 09, 2013, 12:31:01 AM
Quote from: wh on January 08, 2013, 11:24:15 PM

Before the Valpo at Saint Louis game I said:

Quote from: bbtds on November 30, 2012, 10:02:41 AM
Rumors and hopes from Saint Louis fans are that their freshman phenom, Keith Carter, will be ready to play. Rick Majerus called him the second most talented guard he's ever recruited. Carter suffered a leg injury very early in the season, it got bent the wrong way. He's from Proviso East and lives in Maywood. He was recruited by Whitesell to Loyola. Whitesell is now a SLU asst coach. Carter switched to the Billikens when Jim W. was fired by the Ramblers.

http://ballislife.com/keith-carter-proviso-east/
So Carter's injury had him sidelined about the same amount of time as Kwamain Mitchell, the Billikens star guard. He came back after the death of Majerus and saw that Crews was not the coach he was looking for and Saint Louis was no longer the situation he wanted. That is why he played so few games.

That explains a lot.  Thanks.

vufan75

An article from Chicagohoops.com on Keith Carter's transfer to Valpo.

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php/2011-08-04-18-06-26/616-valpo-lands-slu-transfer-keith-carter

Keith Carter Talks Transfer To Valpo

Category: Latest News Published on Wednesday, 16 January 2013 18:00 Written by Scott Burgess

Valparaiso landed another big transfer.  The Crusaders picked up a commitment from St. Louis University transfer Keith Carter. 

The point guard was one of the top prospects in the state of Illinois in the class of 2012.  He told us why Valpo was his choice. 

"Great coaching staff and being close to home."

Carter's transfer comes on the heels of Valpo landing a stellar 2013 recruiting class of high school prospects coming in led by Illinois seniors Alec Peters (Washington), Jubril Adekoya (Andrew), and Lexus Williams (Marist).

covufan

I still don't get these mid-season transfers, or the rules.  He played one semester at SLU, transfers to VU.  Two semesters at VU with no play, but eligible for the second half of 2013-14, then two more years.  One semester at SLU, 7 at VU, with only six eligible for playing basketball.  If he had waited a semester, he would have one year at SLU, one year at VU without playing, and 3 more years playing at VU - or 5 years to play 4.  I understand that he wants to move forward with his career, but shouldn't the NCAA allow for him to still play 8 semesters?

LaPorteAveApostle

Dude, take a number... ;) ... i was griping about the same thing with Dority.

He's going to try to get an injury redshirt for this year, at least.  But you're right.

I think it was Tx that told me "the NCAA promises you 4 years, not 8 semesters or four seasons"

valpotx

You technically get 5 years to play 4 seasons, but your redshirt has to be approved.  I believe that since Carter left the program before redshirting, that it counts as a full season
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/17619411-556/keith-carter-transferring-from-st-louis-to-valpo.html

I swear I read it here by Osipoff that it said he/they were going to try for an injury redshirt, but I can't see it now...too many post-trib clicks? 

anyway, if it's like with Devin Gardner at UM they have to wait like until the career is almost over just to apply or something...idk.

but tx may be right that transferring during an injury year negates the redshirt.

EDIT:  got it on my mobile.  retyping for y'all...

osipoff, p-t:
QuoteCarter said he actually had been dealing with both ankle and knee injuries, and plans to apply for a medical redshirt for an additional season of eligibility, as well as to appeal for immediate eligibility in the fall.

"We'll look into any available options", Crusaders coach Bryce Drew said.

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 17, 2013, 09:15:16 PM
http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/17619411-556/keith-carter-transferring-from-st-louis-to-valpo.html

I swear I read it here by Osipoff that it said he/they were going to try for an injury redshirt, but I can't see it now...too many post-trib clicks? 

anyway, if it's like with Devin Gardner at UM they have to wait like until the career is almost over just to apply or something...idk.

but tx may be right that transferring during an injury year negates the redshirt.

EDIT:  got it on my mobile.  retyping for y'all...

osipoff, p-t:
QuoteCarter said he actually had been dealing with both ankle and knee injuries, and plans to apply for a medical redshirt for an additional season of eligibility, as well as to appeal for immediate eligibility in the fall.

"We'll look into any available options", Crusaders coach Bryce Drew said.

Just picked up an important tweet from Paul Oren. According to CBS sports analyst Gary Parrish, Josh Smith, a player in his 3rd season at UCLA, transferred to Georgetown at the end of the 1st semester last year.  Despite having already played in 6 games in his junior year, the NCAA has cleared him to play immediately - and granted him 2 seasons of eligibility.  He had no extenuating circumstances such as family hardship.  Had the  NCAA treated Keith Carter the same way, he would be eligible to play immediately instead of waiting till the semester break, plus he would have 4 full years of eligibility instead 2.5.  Parrish points to an Old Dominion player treated similarly and is wondering why the inconsistency.  So am I, and I'm guessing that the Valpo coaching staff is going to ask for a full explanation. 

Parrish story:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24128933/josh-smith-cleared-to-play-at-georgetown-immediately

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on January 17, 2013, 08:54:08 PMYou technically get 5 years to play 4 seasons, but your redshirt has to be approved. I believe that since Carter left the program before redshirting, that it counts as a full season

This may be the reason that Carter doesn't get his full four years of eligibility and the reason the rule that applies to Josh Smith, the transfer from UCLA to Georgetown, doesn't apply to Keith Carter.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

Quote from: historyman on October 24, 2013, 02:19:20 AM
Quote from: valpotx on January 17, 2013, 08:54:08 PMYou technically get 5 years to play 4 seasons, but your redshirt has to be approved. I believe that since Carter left the program before redshirting, that it counts as a full season

This may be the reason that Carter doesn't get his full four years of eligibility and the reason the rule that applies to Josh Smith, the transfer from UCLA to Georgetown, doesn't apply to Keith Carter.

This from a different article in USA Today about the Smith transfer from UCLA to Georgetown:

In rather surprising news, the big man was also granted a "Seasons of Competition" waiver for the 2012-13 season, in which he appeared in six games for UCLA.

Wednesday's news means Smith will have two seasons of eligibility left to use at Georgetown (2013-14 and 2014-15).

"We are excited that the NCAA has approved the waiver for Joshua," Georgetown coach John Thompson III said in a statement. "Now, he has to maintain a high level of commitment on and off the court. He will provide a significant low-post presence for this team."

Smith's "commitment" is something that former UCLA coach Ben Howland questioned back before Smith elected to transfer. After an all-conference freshman season, Smith watched his playing time diminish as his sophomore year went on and Howland grew more frustrated with Smith's lack of progress.

Six games into his junior season in Westwood, the one-time prized recruit left.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/bigeast/2013/10/23/georgetown-baskeball-josh-smith-ucla-eligible/3173571/

Doesn't sound like any kind of "redshirt" situation to me. How is that any different than what Keith did?  Hopefully, Bryce and ml are all over this.

valporun

Don't understand the circumstances here, but as far as I can tell, it seems the NCAA is bending the rules for Georgetown because they believe they need Georgetown to be competitive for the New Big East to mean anything this season.

classof2014

I guess this means there is still a slim chance for Carter to become eligible now. Chances are it's slim but Valpo could point to this example to try to get Carter eligible. Chances are slim but there's still a chance.

valpotx

That is simply absurd.  I would be all over this if I was in the athletic department, as it makes absolutely no sense.
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Quote from: valporun on October 24, 2013, 09:11:35 AM
Don't understand the circumstances here, but as far as I can tell, it seems the NCAA is bending the rules for Georgetown because they believe they need Georgetown to be competitive for the New Big East to mean anything this season.

This.

Also there's about a hundred Josh Smith/Kieth Carter situations out there. Don't expect the NCAA to suddenly make them all eligible. It's really absurd how power conferences can get away with this, but lets be happy mid majors can still benefit from JUCO transfers. Hopefully they don't take that away any time soon.