• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Mexico at Valpo Sat Dec 6 7:05 pm CT

Started by justducky, December 03, 2014, 12:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pgmado

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 07, 2014, 08:43:03 PMCorrelation and causation, people (don't make me post that xkcd again).

While it's true that the men's b-ball team at VU usually loses to high mid-majors and majors, that doesn't mean it's a trend or even a thing.

We lost to UNM two years ago.  But the only people who played both games were Vashil and Hugh Greenwood's Gawdoffal Hair.  It's not like we lose because we crawl into some kind of inferiority-complex-shell every time.  E.g., what does the 2012 Nebraska game have to do with this year's Missouri game?  Both were losses to mediocre-at-best schools (relative to their power conference), but that's it--they had no influence on each other.

I say this because I see people saying things like 'we just can't beat good teams.'  Well, true because a truism:  good teams are good because not easily beaten, as wh alluded to the 'life of a mid major' above.

But each (VU) team is different--heck, each game is different, because different guys are tired or hurt or the tipoff was at 5:45 am EST or something; so the fact that "we lost to Power Conference Team A" does not mean that "we will lose to A Power Conference Team".

Let's not burden Alec Peters, for instance, with the failures of Rowdy's team, for instance.

Yesterday we were a young team eager to please, trying to hit a 10-pt shot every possession to get back in it, as though that were possible.

Good teams win because they are good teams, not because of what conference they play in.

But..But...But...what on earth would sportswriters write about if we didn't constantly look back at the past? We couldn't hand out such nuggets as Valpo shooting its lowest home percentage in 14 years on Saturday night or having a single-digit leading scorer for the first time since 2006. Other than that, great post.

justducky

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 07, 2014, 08:43:03 PMCorrelation and causation, people (don't make me post that xkcd again).
This entire day of posting has gotten far too cerebral and completely out of my comfort zone of petty name calling and bickering.

Quote from: wh on December 07, 2014, 09:42:05 PMI would give this 5 likes if I could.
I wouldn't even give him one but part of that might be because the grandpa ducky hat image seems to be branded into my mind perhaps for eternity. :'(

valpotx

Looks like my friend chose the right day for his wedding in Austin, so that I didn't have to watch this one :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: DrewBLOOD on December 06, 2014, 10:01:05 PM

LOBOS just plain out killed it tonight in chilly Indiana!!
A mediocre team huh?!?  show some respect, UNM just shut it down ...   This board is weaker then the team! I'm out of here...

GO LOBOS! 

Since you're feeling disrespected, I wrote a storybook in your honor:

Once upon a time a college basketball team from the land of enchantment traveled to the hoosier state to play another college basketball team.  They played good interior defense, forcing the other team to score from the perimeter - which they could not do.  They showed less skill on the offensive end, but scored enough points to equal their season average.  The team felt happy all the way back to the land of enchantment, while the team from the hoosier state sadly went home and went to bed.  The winning team's fans were happy, too, except for one whiny, perpetually offended individual, who didn't think the fans of the other team praised his team enough while in their state of sadness.  The next day, everyone returned to their normal lives, and they all lived happily ever after - except for one.  The end.

Smj

wh, that is so well written ...  It moved me. ...

valpo84

I expected so much more vitriol when I returned to this site today (gave myself the obligatory 2 days cooling off period). Was so disgusted with shot selection and lack of pick and pops, backdoor cuts, v cuts off the overplaying D, and missed bunnies, I turned this one off with 5 mins to go (maybe the first time in 20 years pgmado for your game notes). Jacking 3s is not our offense and the youth was on full display -- I know I haven't hit nylon for my last 4 shots but I'll jack a 23 ft J anyway. Woulda (if Skara gets the charge call, if Alec hits the 2 or gets a foul call), coulda (not shot 3 for infinity from 3), shoulda (better discipline on O).  Unfortunately, this Valpo team will be judged by past iterations because that's what we do plus we do not have a sample size big enough for this cru (although now 0 for 2). And folks, Northwestern wants no part of us home or away. When Doug Collins got the NW job, I asked him whether we could get a series now (wearing a valpo bball shirt); he laughed and shook his head. Look, most of these Power 5s don't want to be concerned about a home loss in Nov/Dec -- they want their big paydays and cupcakes that only cost about $75-100,000 (at most) and 12-1 or 13-0 starts (with losses only against Power 5s in big TV games). Mike Brey answered honestly at ACC Media Day this year when he said they wouldn't play anymore Indiana States after losing last year. Valpo's schedule v EKU and Murray and Drake and ETSU and Belmonts will be the way to survive and then play in some off-shore tourney every 3-4 years and make a mark.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VUfan

Give it a break we could have lost 82 to 49 to KU and haven forbid Lost to Valpo the game before!!!!  :o

LaPorteAveApostle

::IDEA:: We could start sucking, and then the big schools will all want to schedule us!

But then some people would have to find something else to complain about.

...thinking...

<stagewhisper>I think it would be about...the sucking.</whisper>
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Somewhat glad I wasn't able to watch this game.  This is still a young but talented team.  Mid-major teams will always have their off nights - we just need to learn how to win HL games when we are having one of those off nights.  Still looking forward to the rest of December and HL play!

covufan

From the box score, it really appears that New Mexico contested most of our shots, as our FG% and 3Pt % were really low.  Is this the case?  I'm sure games like this are what cause coaches to lose hair or pigment - why couldn't we rebound?  why did we shoot so poorly.  The turnovers appear to be a thing of the past, which is a good thing.

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 08, 2014, 02:45:25 PM
::IDEA:: We could start sucking, and then the big schools will all want to schedule us!

But then some people would have to find something else to complain about.

...thinking...

<stagewhisper>I think it would be about...the sucking.</whisper>

We don't need our bb team to emulate our football team. OTOH, our football team DID make huge strides under our new head coach.

covufan

The box score had the attendance at more than 4200.  Is this about right?

covufan

Quote from: valpo84 on December 08, 2014, 01:37:27 PMValpo's schedule v EKU and Murray and Drake and ETSU and Belmonts will be the way to survive and then play in some off-shore tourney every 3-4 years and make a mark.
Belmont should come into play, as they have some Indiana natives on their roster.  Western Ill, Eastern Ill, Western MI and Ill State should also become some future home-and-home series. 

a3uge

Quote from: covufan on December 08, 2014, 03:29:23 PM
The box score had the attendance at more than 4200.  Is this about right?

That appeared about right - there must have been a large amount of walkups and last second tickets sold because Saturday afternoon the mezzanine still wasn't sold at all. At game time the mezzanine appeared over half full. The crowd couldn't really get into the game because Valpo could never sustain a run over 4-5 points.

historyman

Quote from: a3uge on December 08, 2014, 06:28:12 PM
Quote from: covufan on December 08, 2014, 03:29:23 PMThe box score had the attendance at more than 4200.  Is this about right?
That appeared about right - there must have been a large amount of walkups and last second tickets sold because Saturday afternoon the mezzanine still wasn't sold at all. At game time the mezzanine appeared over half full. The crowd couldn't really get into the game because Valpo could never sustain a run over 4-5 points.

I believe that there were no where near 4200 "in the stands." I believe that many, many season ticket holders are not showing up for games. I talked to two season ticket holders at the end of last year who keep buying season tickets as a way to quasi-donate to the athletic department. They only showed up for senior night. They are very busy senior citizens who were ashamed they didn't make it to more games but are glad their money is going to the athletic department. There have to be a bunch of these season ticket holders not showing up for games. So the athletic department counts a gate of 4200 but only about 3500 to 3700 were really in the stands.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

a3uge

Quote from: historyman on December 08, 2014, 06:50:58 PM
Quote from: covufan on December 08, 2014, 03:29:23 PMThe box score had the attendance at more than 4200.  Is this about right?

I believe that there were no where near 4200 "in the stands." I believe that many, many season ticket holders are not showing up for games. I talked to two season ticket holders at the end of last year who keep buying season tickets as a way to quasi-donate to the athletic department. They only showed up for senior night. They are very busy senior citizens who were ashamed they didn't make it to more games but are glad their money is going to the athletic department. There have to be a bunch of these season ticket holders not showing up for games. So the athletic department counts a gate of 4200 but only about 3500 to 3700 were really in the stands.

Aren't most season tickets sold in the chair back section? I was near the front so admittedly didn't get the best view of the crowd, but the chairbacks appeared 90% full. Crowd estimates are difficult, but I don't think it's fair to single out this year/ this game as having an inaccurate crowd count as crowds have been over counted for many many years by many many teams.

a3uge

Forgot this note on game - but if Bryce ever wears a suit like the new New Mexico coach, we should just buy him a one-way bus ride to Tulsa and tell em YOU CAN HAVE HIM. Man that thing was brutal.

wh

With a paid attendance of 4200, apparently the decision to price tickets at $35 and $20 was the correct one, at least from a revenue standpoint.

valpo04

Quote from: IllinoisLobo on December 07, 2014, 01:28:21 AM
As an alumnus of UNM and a lifelong Lobo fan that made the drive from Chicago to see UNM play tonight, I want to pass along my thanks and respect to your school and your fans. Not every school and fanbase treats visiting fans well. However, my son and I had a great experience tonight with hospitable and gracious Valpo fans around us. Everyone, from the event staff to the concessions to the students where fantastic. Be proud of the way your people and team represented the best of the Valparaiso University community.

I wish you and your team the best of luck for this year and every game in the future (save for any future game vs
UNM  ;)).
:thumbsup:

valpopal

Quote from: a3uge on December 08, 2014, 06:59:34 PM
Quote from: historyman on December 08, 2014, 06:50:58 PM

Aren't most season tickets sold in the chair back section? I was near the front so admittedly didn't get the best view of the crowd, but the chairbacks appeared 90% full. Crowd estimates are difficult, but I don't think it's fair to single out this year/ this game as having an inaccurate crowd count as crowds have been over counted for many many years by many many teams.

The chair back section seemed almost completely full (I was told they were sold out), and the lower reserved seats also seemed full, while the upper bleachers were about half full. In addition, the student sections appeared completely full. Below are a couple of my out-take photos but ones that show the crowd size on both sides of the court.

valpo64

The attendance number was accurate...sitting in the chairbacks and was surprised to see the numbers in the "upper deck".  The seating chart on line  showed the chairbacks were basically sold out early in the afternoon.   As for NM getting a lot of pressure on our shooters, yes they did, but we had many open shots that didn't fall.  Let's face it , it was a lousy shooting night.  Let's look ahead!!

EddieCabot

Quote from: valpotx on December 06, 2014, 01:22:12 AM
I didn't know that Buck Futler tried to get out of the BB return game!  If they are offering a 2 for 1, we need to get over our issue with that being their only offer, and take it.  Please, let's beat the ever living $h!+ out of Buck Futler again!  I had way too much fun flying up to Valpo for that semifinal game against Buck Futler a few seasons ago.  Even my wife got into the Buck Futler spirit that day, and it was a heck of an atmosphere.  Buck....Futler, that is all.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and I've also stated that Valpo should improve their OOC schedule going forward, but how does taking a 2 for 1 deal with a Big East bottom feeder help?  I would think there are better deals out there for the taking, but based on this year's schedule, I'm probably wrong.

I've suggested shooting for an exempt tourney that is a "true tournament", but as someone else pointed out, those probably cost $ that Valpo doesn't have/doesn't want to spend and would likely be in Hawaii/Puerto Rico/Bahamas, which wouldn't allow fans to attend like they could in Nashville. 

Whatever the case, this group of sophomores deserves the opportunity to play a schedule that presents them a challenge and gives them an opportunity at an at-large bid, IMO.  I hope that Valpo steps up and makes that happen.

78crusader

I would take even a 3 for 1 deal with Butler...who, by the way, will not be a "Big East bottom feeder" this year. 

Paul

LaPorteAveApostle

WHY DOES ANYONE EVER TAKE EDDIE CABOT AT FACE VALUE ANYMORE HAVEN'T WE LEARNED PEOPLE

GAH YOU MANIACS YOU BLEW IT UP SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OF PEOPLE! 

also, if i were butler, i would offer us a 0 for 0 so i didn't have to lose to valpo another bunch of times.

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

motowntitan

Quote from: EddieCabot on December 08, 2014, 09:14:30 PM
I appreciate your enthusiasm and I've also stated that Valpo should improve their OOC schedule going forward, but how does taking a 2 for 1 deal with a Big East bottom feeder help?  I would think there are better deals out there for the taking, but based on this year's schedule, I'm probably wrong.

Big East bottom feeder?  They are 8-1 right now, and ranked 15th/19th in the country.

You should jump at the chance for a 2 for 1.