• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Heading into February

Started by sliman, January 31, 2015, 07:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sliman

Now that we've started breathing again after the UIC escape, let's see how things shape up for the last month.
Standings
Valpo  7-2
Cleveland State 7-2
Green Bay   6-2
Oakland     5-2
Detroit   4-5
Milwaukee  4-5
Wright State  3-5
UIC   1-7
Youngstown  1-8

Games Remaining for Title Contenders

Valpo  4 home, 3 road
2-4  Detroit
2-8 Oakland
2-13  Green Bay
2-15 AT Milwaukee
2-21 Wright State
2-25 AT Detroit
2-27 AT Cleveland State

Cleveland State  4 home, 3 road+
2-4 Youngstown
2-7 Wright State
2-13 AT Detroit
2-15 UIC
(2-17 at Western Carolina)
2-20 AT Green Bay
2-22 AT Milwaukee
2-17 Valpo

Green Bay  4 home, 4 road
2-2 AT Wright State
2-5 Milwaukee
2-11 AT Youngstown
2-13 AT Valparaiso
2-18 Detroit
2-20 Cleveland State
2-26 AT UIC
2-28 Oakland

Oakland 3 home, 6 road
2-1 AT Youngstown
2-4 AT UIC
2-8 AT Valpo
2-10 AT Milwaukee
2-15 Detroit
2-18 AT Wright State
2-22 UIC  (site corrected)
2-25 Youngstown
2-28 AT Green Bay

Some observations:  Winning on the road against anyone is tough, but Cleveland State has only Green Bay on the road among the other contenders and it will be their fourth game in 8 days thanks to a non-con against Western Carolina.  If they can win at Detroit, they be playing for a high seed against us there to end the regular season.  Green Bay has the game here as its only road game against a contender although they have both Cleveland State and Oakland at home.  Oakland may have the toughest schedule (what's new!) with four road games in the next 10 days (one of them here) and ends the season at Green Bay.  Toughest home game is Detroit so if they win the next four they're probably in good shape for a high seed.  Valpo has games remaining against each of the other contenders but Oakland and Green Bay are at the ARC so holding serve at home is critical -- and it has to start Wednesday with Detroit who we play there in three weeks. 

Seeds 3 and 4 get a bye and seeds 1 and 3 get the double bye and it will be surprising if those positions are determined before the last week of the season and perhaps only then by invoking some tie breaker rules.  It should be fun but nerve wracking!  And those free throws everyone keeps talking about.........

historyman

Quote from: sliman on January 31, 2015, 07:32:38 PMOakland 3 home, 6 road

2-1 AT Youngstown
2-4 AT UIC
2-8 AT Valpo
2-10 AT Milwaukee
2-15 Detroit
2-18 AT Wright State
2-22 AT UIC
2-25 Youngstown
2-28 AT Green Bay

Slight correction. The 2-22 game against UIC is at Oakland and not at UIC. This makes it 3 home, 6 road as was stated.

http://www.uicflames.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/ilch-m-baskbl-sched.html

http://www.goldengrizzlies.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/oakl-m-baskbl-sched.html

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

If either Valpo or GB runs the table, they win the league title outright.  If either CSU or Oakland runs the table, they win outright, unless they both run the table in which case they share the title.   

I think our chances are as good as any of the other contenders.  We lost to GB by 1 on their floor, without KC, and only after a good look, game winning runner missed its mark. We lost the "foul gate" game in O.T. on Oakland's court after losing a 7-pt. lead late.  That's how close we are to being 9-0 right now. 

classof2014

Quote from: wh on February 01, 2015, 08:09:18 AM
I think our chances are as good as any of the other contenders.  We lost to GB by 1 on their floor, without KC, and only after a good look, game winning runner missed its mark. We lost the "foul gate" game in O.T. on Oakland's court after losing a 7-pt. lead late.  That's how close we are to being 9-0 right now. 

That is why we are one step away from being a great team, right now we're a really good team but great teams win those games. I do believe though this team is capable of making that next step before the season is out.

valpopal

I am told that the Feb. 13 Green Bay game, which has been listed as TBA, will be at 6 pm CT / 7 pm ET and air on ESPN2.

justducky

Quote from: valpopal on February 03, 2015, 09:51:16 AMI am told that the Feb. 13 Green Bay game, which has been listed as TBA, will be at 6 pm CT / 7 pm ET and air on ESPN2.
Nice!  Have we sold any tickets yet?

Kyle321n

Quote from: justducky on February 03, 2015, 10:27:32 AM
Quote from: valpopal on February 03, 2015, 09:51:16 AMI am told that the Feb. 13 Green Bay game, which has been listed as TBA, will be at 6 pm CT / 7 pm ET and air on ESPN2.

Considering I have my season tickets for that game already and I'm sure quite a few others do too, I'd say yes. If Valpo relied on only walk up sales we'd be in rough shape.

Also that sucks that it's a 6 PM game on a Friday night. A 7 PM start would be better especially for those who work in the Chicago area and maybe live in the towns and cities outside of Valpo. Imagine getting off work at 5 from your awesome accounting firm in Chicago and you live in Munster. You're a Valpo grad who was really looking forward to taking his family to the Valpo game on a Friday night. Now the earliest you can show up is by halftime? Terrible.  For me working in Michigan City and living in Valpo, I'm not going to have anytime to cook anything for dinner. My wife and I don't exactly live on a shoestring budget, but we're not "well off" so we cook dinner at home every night to save some cash so we can join friends out for a beer or two or enjoy some craft beers at home. Looks like our "night out" budget will be cut into for dinner before this game.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

wh

Quote from: justducky on February 03, 2015, 10:27:32 AM

We have a 20-4 team that's tied for 1st. Wednesday's Detroit game should be close to capacity, but my guess is 3500 or less. At some point lagging attendance becomes less about ineffective marketing and more about an apathetic community.

classof2014

My guess is 3500 to 4000 for Detroit. It's difficult for people to come on a Wednesday nights, especially if they have an hour+ drive, thus they wouldn't be getting home till 10-11 at night, possibly later. Thus only more localized people will be able to make a Wednesday night matchup.

While more people will be able to make the GB game, it's a Friday night. Many workplaces will let you out an hour early on a Friday night. People typically don't need to be up early on a Saturday. My guess is 4500ish for the GB game not to mention the game will be broadcasted nationwide on ESPN2, which is a step above ESPNU, I get 2 not U.

talksalot

Excuse #1:  1-2" snow expected overnight tonight with another 1-2" tomorrow... on top of the 17" we got over the weekend.  Most side streets are still snow covered, slick and hazardous.

Excuse #2:  we have 41 courses meeting on Wednesday night, involving 747 current students.  These courses all start or stop after tip-off on Wednesday.  17 of those are Undergraduate level, 24 are Law or Graduate level courses.   

Advanced Counseling Internship
Seminar: Research
Top in American Lit & Culture
Top: American Empire & Lit
Sem: China-Japan Relations
China-Japan: Clash & Collabor
American Empire & Literature
Top: China-Japan Relations
Counseling Internship II
Seminar: Undergrad Research
Topl: Intro to Data Science
Bus & Leg Aspects of Adv Pr Nr
Introduction to Data Science
Org & Syst Leadrshp in Hlthcar
Pretrial Skills
Strategic Thinking & Action
Models of Collab & Consultatn
Issues in Criminology
Medicine, Law & Ethics
Intro to Video Production
Ethical Issues in Health Care
Top: Taste& See-Food& Festivty
General Chemistry II Lab
Astronomy Laboratory
Financial Analysis
Microbiology Lab
Serv Lrng in Hlth Central Amer
Top: Long Civil Rights Movemnt
Div Pop: Human Rights/Justice
Introduction to Cinema
Biotechnology Lab
Sem: Efficacy Thru Curr & Assm
N Amer Indians Past/Pres
Risk Management
Sem: Efficacy in Profl Practic
Sem: Inquiry Thru Case Study
Bus Policy and Strategy Lab
The Business Experience Lab
Top: Classics and the Cinema
Social Media
Financial Management

vu72

I'll take Pretrial Skills for $100 Alex.    ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

sliman

As long as you don't take Alec, vu72.

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on February 03, 2015, 01:47:24 PMI'll take Pretrial Skills for $100 Alex.    ;D

This trial lawyer tried an important "monkey" case in Tennessee. He actually was successful even though his client was fined $100 for violation of the Butler law in Tennessee. ($100 in 1925 = $1,345 in 2015)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

bbtds

Quote from: historyman on February 03, 2015, 05:14:38 PM
Quote from: vu72 on February 03, 2015, 01:47:24 PMI'll take Pretrial Skills for $100 Alex.    ;D

This trial lawyer tried an important "monkey" case in Tennessee. He actually was successful even though his client was fined $100 for violation of the Butler law in Tennessee. ($100 in 1925 = $1,345 in 2015)
Darence Clarrow, uhhhh, Who is Clarence Darrow?

Just the kind of guy you want to meet in a dark alley! Actually this was probably at the end of the trial after Mr. Darrow had spoken on for hours.

LaPorteAveApostle

i think this discussion is well beyond the scopes of this thread
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 04, 2015, 05:19:05 AM
i think this discussion is well beyond the scopes of this thread

No, I can still see the thread.