• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Arch Madness 2019

Started by VU2014, March 03, 2019, 01:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How far will the Crusaders go at Arch Madness?

1st round (Thursday)
2nd round (Friday)
Semi-Finals (Saturday)
Championship Game (Sunday)
Going Dancing

vu72

Great effort all around.  When was the last time we scored 75 with only 2 threes!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUfan

VUSL98

Seemed like we succeeded without a lot of the typical, stagnant set offense.  Instead, guys, like Freeman and Golder made their own plays.  Set offense = turnovers.  Here, low turnovers, more playmaking.  Great result and nice to get a win.  ML lives to see another game!

GoldenCrusader87

Nice win, for sure. I was only to watch the live stats. But, from what the box score shows - we were clicking on all cylinders. Nice to see Golder have a breakout performance at the right time. And, Freeman played great. Just looked like a good overall performance. Will need to bring our A game tomorrow, no doubt.

valpopal

Impressed by the determination to keep the lead in the second half. Some stats for the second half: only 1 turnover but 5 steals and 6 assists; free throws 14-17 82.4%; even the 3-point shooting was decent enough at 3-8 38%. Nice to move beyond Thursday!

valpotx

Ok, we are now 2-0 when I catch the last minute of a game, because I care so little about this season that I forgot :).  I will have to try this approach for the rest of the season.
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Valpo 7-46 from 3 (15.2%) in their last three games. Offense is still very flawed, but it's nice to see them scoring so much in transition.

valpopal

Valpo trailed 24-15 with 14 minutes gone in first half, but they out-scored Indiana St. 62-31 over the last 26 minutes of the game.

valpo64

I know that players win the game but one has to give credit and a big pat on the back to Coach L for getting this team up and ready to play, and finish the game.  Great job, guys!  Now let's cause some mayhem with an upset tomorrow vs. Loyola.

SanityLost17

Quote from: a3uge on March 07, 2019, 08:23:34 PM
Valpo 7-46 from 3 (15.2%) in their last three games. Offense is still very flawed, but it's nice to see them scoring so much in transition.

We have missed a lot of decent looks too.   We just really suck that much at shooting 3's.   Loyola is going to make us hit them tomorrow as they will shut down most everything else we do.  Our only chance is an Illinois State like game where we go off for 50% from 3 for no good reason. 

M

Agreed...they could've easily, and understandably, packed it in like many of us. Credit to the coaching staff and players for the effort tonight.

Glad they saved up all their 3 pointers for tomorrow's game.

crusadermoe

Let's press on defense a lot and run Loyola ragged.  Sackey and Freeman are very fast. Bakari and Markus seem to do best when they are "going it alone."  Smits and Mileek also run better than most bigs. 

Maybe Krutwig runs ok too, but our bigs don't match up with his half court footwork. Our half court offense will struggle. 

M

Pressing and running would be great, but we will have played a game 16 hours earlier. Not sure Valpo will have the legs for that. I'm a huge fan of seeing VU open it up and run (I would add and gun but our gunners don't seem to connect often) more though.

crusadermoe

Yes, that's too bad about the short rest between games.  Nice that we coasted near the end and didn't go into O.T.  But it will catch up to us in the 2nd half if we run too much.  I don't recall the game, but we closed about 10-12 points in the blink of an eye, but it was too little too late.

It does seem like that is a winning strategy next year with so many athletes and two bigs (Smits and Mileek) who can run the floor.

VUGrad1314

SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!!! WE WON IN St. Louis! Thank you Javon! Thank you Markus! Thank you Derrik! Thank you Deion! Thank you Bakari! Thank you Daniel! Thank you Jay! Thank you John! Thank you Mileek! Thank you Langston! Thank you MattL! Thank you Luke! Thank you Todd T.! Thank you Rob! Thank you Matt B.! Thank you MLB! Thank you Aaron! Thank you Brandon! Thank you Julie! Thank you Todd I! Thank you Dave! Thank you Paul! Thank you Robbie! Thank you MH! Thank you board! Thank you Jesus! Thank you everyone!

PlumStreetBum

Just got home from the Enterprise Center. That was the most fun I've had this season, even though I was sure we'd find a way to make it close pretty much up until Stallings came in at the very end.

Nice to get a win near the end of the season after all that losing.

NativeCheesehead

NOBODY START A SEPARATE GAME THREAD FOR TOMORROW! CLEARLY THEYRE BAD LUCK. 

M

Now who's the superstitious one 😂. I saw Paul tweet it'll take a few more wins to erase all the losing (something to that extent)...I think one win tomorrow would do it.

nkvu

I did manage to catch most of the second half of the game. Amazing what can happen when you take care of the ball and make free throws.  Happy for the team.  Now if we can do that and make a decent percentage from three, the next game could be interesting, though I probably won't be able to catch much if any of it. Good luck to the team. 

oklahomamick

It was mentioned earlier that bad things happen when we are in our halfcourt offense.  2nd half we got out and ran more.  That should be our strategy. 
CRUSADERS!!!

crusadermoe

So.....have the negative posters and ML haters scheduled a large BANDWAGON to depart Valpo to St Louis early Saturday a.m. just in case.  😁😉

I will confess that I bought a ticket  only for the Friday Noon today gamehinking they needed to prove a W before I put money and time into this team even though I have some family in Missouri.

NativeCheesehead

I'll sneak out and go down if we win today, but this "Opening Round" is designed to send bad, tired teams to go get killed by the top two seeds.  Your best bet is to get up early and hope your legs hold up. The instant you find yourself down double digits, game over.

Let's be clear. One win against the 8th place team does nothing to alleviate the concerns I have about this program going forward.

VULB#62

I missed the game stream and GameTracker. Didn't know the result until after 10 last night. When I checked the box score, I was stunned to see that Deion was not listed.  I looked back on this string, but didn't seeany reference to it. Did I miss it?  What gives?  Injury? Coaches decision?

Valpo89

Lavender played and he played very well. He did get hurt near end of half but he returned and appeared to be fine.