• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

How Hard is it to Win Conference Games?

Started by ValpoHoops, February 17, 2016, 09:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoHoops

I was curious to compare our record to other teams this season and from seasons past.

Last season, as grand total of 16 teams lost two games or less in conference play. This season, there are 26 teams that have lost two games or less to this point.

I was disappointed to lose to WSU (again...), but I think when you look at these things year-over-year, we realize that its REALLY FREAKING HARD to win conference games, no matter how good you might be in relation to your league. Even the teams that went unbeaten had some tough games (Kentucky getting taken to OT by Mississippi State, at Rupp, comes to mind).

We definitely have the chance to win the next four games and finish up at 16-2, but every game is going to be tough. Hopefully, we can get that first one Friday night...

2015-2016:

2014-2015:

Horizon League:

This is our 9th season in the HL. In only three of the first 8 has the champion had two or fewer losses...and in one season, there was a three-way tie for the title at 13-5, with Valpo one game back at 12-6.

ValpoHoops

Updated before the games started today. A couple teams I think I missed in the last table are in. A few have dropped out.

Many of the teams that appear from the same conference have games remaining against each other.

wh

As a student back in the day I was pretty driven about grades. I carefully tracked exactly how many points I had and what my percentages were. I was always in a perpetual competition with myself to achieve perfection.

All these years later I'm still tracking performance against myself.  Comparing myself against others has never been much of a measuring stick for me. It's all about where am I and am I fulfilling my potential - career, finances, personal life, spiritual life, whatever.

I kind of look at our beloved Crusaders the same way. The fact that our record is better than most, even far better, is good, but the real question (to me) is have we played up to our own personal potential, irrespective of what everyone else is doing. I think the honest answer is 'no.'  Therein lies the disappointment that many of us are feeling right now.

That's not to say that making relative comparisons with others isn't important - it is. In fact, it's very healthy to reflect that way. I'm just not ready to do it while we're still in the moment. I'm tracking grades right now and we're getting close to final exams.  ;)

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

justducky

Quote from: wh on February 20, 2016, 01:21:13 PMAs a student back in the day I was pretty driven about grades.
Me too. I always did my very best to just barely get by.
Quote from: wh on February 20, 2016, 01:21:13 PMI was always in a perpetual competition with myself to achieve perfection.
:o Oh no! Not one of them guys!  :o

Quote from: wh on February 20, 2016, 01:21:13 PMAll these years later I'm still tracking performance against myself.  Comparing myself against others has never been much of a measuring stick for me. It's all about where am I and am I fulfilling my potential - career, finances, personal life, spiritual life, whatever.
Now I understand what it is about you that I have always found unsettling.  As you have noticed folks like me prefer to occasionally release their inner demons for recreational purposes and with your weaknesses now exposed you may soon encounter them.  ::)

Even with my age and health issues I am now giving 2 to 1 odds of outliving wh by numerous years! Any takers?

wh

Something just for you, ducky, from Carthage College alum Charles Specht:

Pursuing excellence rather than settling for mediocrity is what you're called to do in life. It is your calling in your work, your career, your ministry, your marriage, and your life in general. You were created to produce excellence.

So press on, don't ever stop giving it your best, and don't let the jealous voices around you (or even the small voice inside your head) ever convince you that you aren't made for the MASS PRODUCTION of greatness.

My best for a happy, healthy life, wh

Sent from my iPhone

historyman

Quote from: wh on February 20, 2016, 04:13:26 PM
Something just for you, ducky, from Carthage College alum Charles Specht:

Pursuing excellence rather than settling for mediocrity is what you're called to do in life. It is your calling in your work, your career, your ministry, your marriage, and your life in general. You were created to produce excellence.

So press on, don't ever stop giving it your best, and don't let the jealous voices around you (or even the small voice inside your head) ever convince you that you aren't made for the MASS PRODUCTION of greatness.

My best for a happy, healthy life, wh

Sent from my iPhone

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Quote from: justducky on February 20, 2016, 02:39:53 PM
Quote from: wh on February 20, 2016, 01:21:13 PMAs a student back in the day I was pretty driven about grades.
Me too. I always did my very best to just barely get by.
Quote from: wh on February 20, 2016, 01:21:13 PMI was always in a perpetual competition with myself to achieve perfection.
:o Oh no! Not one of them guys!  :o

Quote from: wh on February 20, 2016, 01:21:13 PMAll these years later I'm still tracking performance against myself.  Comparing myself against others has never been much of a measuring stick for me. It's all about where am I and am I fulfilling my potential - career, finances, personal life, spiritual life, whatever.
Now I understand what it is about you that I have always found unsettling.  As you have noticed folks like me prefer to occasionally release their inner demons for recreational purposes and with your weaknesses now exposed you may soon encounter them.  ::)

Even with my age and health issues I am now giving 2 to 1 odds of outliving wh by numerous years! Any takers?

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

ValpoHoops

Down to 18 teams after this weekend...were 16 on the list last year, with three going unbeaten.

Montana and Weber State play on 2/27. The other two conferences with multiple teams (WAC, Ivy) have already seen those teams meet twice.

I'm not necessarily posting this to compare us to other teams. I was generally curious about conference records...figured if I did the research (not that it took long), I'd throw it out there.

ValpoHoops

Down to 15 schools with 2 losses or fewer...less than last season. It's really hard to win in the league...any league...where team's know you so well. Two gutty wins this week can only help.