• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2015-16 Season

Started by wh, July 19, 2015, 03:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: nkvu on August 18, 2015, 12:03:23 PM
Not even thinking about an at large. Sure we go into the conference final with one loss and lose on a shot at the buzzer then maybe we have a shot. But even then I doubt it. What concerns me more is the way we usually seem to gag when we play a team, any team, from a power conference. Most of those losses weren't even close.  Last year's Maryland game gave me hope for this year. But ultimately the team has to break through early and win some of these games to prove to everyone that they can win, not just compete. We have to take advantage of the opportunities we have as those opportunities will always be limited. Face it many many teams from power conferences that we could beat won't play us because they don't gain enough from beating us as they risk if they should lose.

In years past we just couldn't stand up athletically to power conference teams. This year we're much closer.   If we play consistently tough defense and don't give away points by poor free throw shooting this could be the year. But the proof is in putting wins on the board, not just competitive losses.

Anyway to cut it, this will be our best chance. Next year (we obviously don't know about recruits at this point), all we gain is another year of experience while we lose E, Vashil, Carter and Darien.  I doubt next year's team will be as good as this years.  If we are going to make a run it is here and now.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: UConnHoops on August 18, 2015, 01:16:45 PM
My name is Mark and I have been a University of Connecticut men's basketball season ticket holder for 25 years. In addition to my love of UConn hoops I  follow college basketball year round and have been fortunate enough to attend several Final4's. My dad is a retired coach. I believe this Valpo team barring injury is ready to become the darlings of college basketball this year. In my opinion Valpo will makes a serious run at the Final4. The chalk this year is a bit down. This Valpo team is special and I look forward to rooting for your team this year and enjoying some of the fun with you guys.

I hope you take BCS schools to the woodshed in the tournament and make the E8.

You sure are pumping up the troops. I really hope you are correct and our fandom does not have a huge let down in the HL tourney. We are overlooking a lot of steps here.

VULB#62

Quote from: UConnHoops on August 18, 2015, 01:16:45 PM
My name is Mark and I have been a University of Connecticut men's basketball season ticket holder for 25 years. In addition to my love of UConn hoops I  follow college basketball year round and have been fortunate enough to attend several Final4's. My dad is a retired coach. I believe this Valpo team barring injury is ready to become the darlings of college basketball this year. In my opinion Valpo will makes a serious run at the Final4. The chalk this year is a bit down. This Valpo team is special and I look forward to rooting for your team this year and enjoying some of the fun with you guys.

I hope you take BCS schools to the woodshed in the tournament and make the E8.

Welcome to the forum from a fellow New Englander (since transplanted to WI). I think, based on our past performances that a run at the "Final32" would be our first hope. In our last 2 shots at it we haven't gotten past the round of 64. Once over that hurdle, and the confidence it breeds, it'll be interesting.

covufan

Quote from: Pgmado on August 18, 2015, 10:26:55 AM
Posted this shortly before Canada trip about Valparaiso's non-conference success (or lack thereof) -- http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/sizing-up-valparaiso-s-non-conference-history/article_c9dd6554-3d2f-11e5-9079-8ff4a4f74c78.html
Thanks.  It might be nice to also know how that 'other' Horizon team from Indiana did in the years that they were still in the Horizon.  My memory says they did well in OOC, even before the final4 runs.  The times when the Horizon was able to get ad at-large berth, I'm sure that the team getting the at-large berth was also a top 35 (or so) team in the rankings. 

I believe that this 2015-16 team has the potential to become a top 35 team, and if so would deserve an at-large look by the committee if we failed to win the Horizon tournament.  Using realtimerpi, we really need to limit our ? and ?? losses.  Beat the teams we are supposed to beat, and win an occasional other game, especially in the OOC.

Kyle321n

Quote from: covufan on August 18, 2015, 03:36:44 PM
I believe that this 2015-16 team has the potential to become a top 35 team, and if so would deserve an at-large look by the committee if we failed to win the Horizon tournament.  Using realtimerpi, we really need to limit our ? and ?? losses.  Beat the teams we are supposed to beat, and win an occasional other game, especially in the OOC.

I agree that we're a possible top 35 team, but that doesn't guarentee an at large bid. We'd need to be really good OOC and get a couple quality wins with Oregon, Oregon St. and ISU having good seasons.

Also don't use RealTimeRPI, they are a terrible site.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

a3uge

Would you rather be Green Bay, and have beaten a power conference team the past two years, but not have made the tournament since 1996... Or Valpo, a team that's actually made the tournament twice in the past 3 years?

Honestly I think some of you would rather be Green Bay.

nkvu

Personally, I want both. Going to the tournament is great don't get me wrong. The thing is any low or mid major who can get hot and win their conference tournament gets to go and yes once in a while they can come out of nowhere and win a game there. But a mid major that can regularly compete with and even beat power conference teams more often than once in a blue moon can build a body of work that will put them in the conversation for at least at large consideration, and when they get there do some damage. Isn't that what Butler did?  Why not hope for and strive for that?  I'm a fan. I want it all.

78crusader

Am I alone in thinking that the Rhode Island game (which I am assuming is the season opener) is awfully important to this team, for a number of reasons?

Paul

justducky

Quote from: 78crusader on August 18, 2015, 07:50:56 PMAm I alone in thinking that the Rhode Island game (which I am assuming is the season opener) is awfully important to this team, for a number of reasons?
No but with the Nov 17 play date they could actually be our 3'rd D-1 opponent. So while Rhode Island is important they will not be make or break unless the remainder of our unknown OOC schedule turns out to be at-large bid irrelevant (trash). Yes win or lose we need to play extremely well to mentally prepare for the Oregon swing because they will likely be our biggest test prior to our trip west.

Who else is getting nervous about our final OOC schedule? This shortage of named quality opponents is unsettling. I don't want to be excluded from at large conversations just because nobody is willing to play us.

Pgmado

Quote from: 78crusader on August 18, 2015, 07:50:56 PM
Am I alone in thinking that the Rhode Island game (which I am assuming is the season opener) is awfully important to this team, for a number of reasons?

Paul

Valpo is going to open at home on Nov. 13 against IPFW and then likely play UCF at home on Nov. 15. Rhode Island will be third game of the year.

VULB#62

Quote from: Pgmado on August 19, 2015, 11:48:53 AM
Quote from: 78crusader on August 18, 2015, 07:50:56 PM

Paul

Valpo is going to open at home on Nov. 13 against IPFW and then likely play UCF at home on Nov. 15. Rhode Island will be third game of the year.

And just to reiterate from another string:   From BleacherReport, URI is ranked #7 of the small ball teams that WH posted about earlier.  Oregon is #8.  (Butler BTW is #6).  So URI is in respectable company.  We will need to play very good to beat them on the road .............at 10AM EST  ............on a Tuesday.  ::)

BTW We are their second 2015 game (they open against American U. on the 13th at home it looks like).

wh

From the Milw board:

BBFran
Clay Tucker Fan Club

16 hours ago
Hot damn! Our presumptive league favorite gets to play AT a second division A10 school.

At 10 am.

On a Tuesday.

I mean really, does it get any more exciting than that? I just hope the Valpi sports bars are stocking enough...coffee.

Would one of our Milw friends  care to inform BBFran that Rhode Island is the A-10's "presumptive league favorite?"  ;)

a3uge

Quote from: wh on August 19, 2015, 12:27:50 PM
From the Milw board:

BBFran
Clay Tucker Fan Club

16 hours ago
Hot damn! Our presumptive league favorite gets to play AT a second division A10 school.

At 10 am.

On a Tuesday.

I mean really, does it get any more exciting than that? I just hope the Valpi sports bars are stocking enough...coffee.

Would someone care to inform BBFran that Rhode Island is the A-10's "presumptive league favorite?"  ;)

You'd think fans of mid major teams would have a little bit of both knowledge and respect for other mid major teams. But at least he's part of the 1% of students there that know UWM has a D1 basketball team.

Also what the heck is the second division A10? Does he think there's relegation or something?

VULB#62

Just for emphasis, these are the 2014-15 final A-10 standings.

TEAM   A-10 RECORD   Pct   ALL RECORD   Pct
Davidson   14-4   .778   24-8   .750
Dayton   13-5   .722   27-9   .750
Rhode Island   13-5   .722   23-10   .697
VCU   12-6   .667   26-10   .722
Richmond   12-6   .667   21-13   .618
George Washington   10-8   .556   22-13   .629
St. Bonaventure   10-8   .556   18-13   .581
Massachusetts   10-8   .556   17-15   .531
La Salle   8-10   .444   17-16   .515
Saint Joseph's   7-11   .389   13-18   .419
Duquesne   6-12   .333   12-19   .387
Fordham   4-14   .222   10-21   .323
George Mason   4-14   .222   9-22   .290
Saint Louis   3-15   .167   11-21   .344

URI went to the 2015 NIT post season

They also have Cleveland State on their 2015-16 schedule for a home game on 11/21 as part of the Cancun Challenge tournament

vu72

Anybody who thinks Valpo isn't taking advantage of our recent success hasn't seen this video and many others.  The pressure is clearly on the players and the coaches unlike anything I can remember.  All I can say is...GO VALPO!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNxlUzSeJSw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTN9ml_uR2M
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

UConnHoops

Nickerson is back also correct? Both Fernandez and Nickerson? How was the roster spot resolved? I may have missed that if posted here. Thanks.

ValpoFan

We have only one incoming freshman (Derrik Smits) to take the scholarship vacated by Clay Yeo last year. The other commit (Daniel Relevao) ended up at George Mason University.

UConnHoops

Thanks VPF for the clarification on Relevao. I appreciate the responses to my posts by all Valpo fans. Great board!!!!!!!!!!

Ok...so here is my next question. Breaking down the Horizon League for 2015-16 a little bit. Oakland lost Corey Petros (14.3 ppg) and Williams (10.0 ppg). They return one of the best players in the league Felder. Green Bay loses Sykes, Mays & McKinnie (their 2 top scorers @ around 30 ppg). GB returns Love and Fause.

Cleveland State lost their 2 best players in Lewis (Ville) and Grady (WSU). Milwaukee loses their top scorer McWharter but returns everyone else.

Detroit goes into next year without Howard and Kearneyto the tune of around 17.5 ppg.

Which team in every ones opinion poses the biggest threat to a regular season title and more importantly the conference tournament title (auto birth)?

Where is the Horizon League Tournament being held this upcoming season?

vu72

Quote from: UConnHoops on August 27, 2015, 02:04:40 PM
Thanks VPF for the clarification on Relevao. I appreciate the responses to my posts by all Valpo fans. Great board!!!!!!!!!!

Ok...so here is my next question. Breaking down the Horizon League for 2015-16 a little bit. Oakland lost Corey Petros (14.3 ppg) and Williams (10.0 ppg). They return one of the best players in the league Felder. Green Bay loses Sykes, Mays & McKinnie (their 2 top scorers @ around 30 ppg). GB returns Love and Fause.

Cleveland State lost their 2 best players in Lewis (Ville) and Grady (WSU). Milwaukee loses their top scorer McWharter but returns everyone else.

Detroit goes into next year without Howard and Kearneyto the tune of around 17.5 ppg.

Which team in every ones opinion poses the biggest threat to a regular season title and more importantly the conference tournament title (auto birth)?

Where is the Horizon League Tournament being held this upcoming season?

My guess is Milwaukee.  They seem to think they will be very good also.  Oakland thinks they will be good but the loss of Petros will be tough to cover.  CSU will be bad as will YSU.  Wright State is always a question mark.  Green Bay will be OK but have lost a bunch, should be a rebuilding year.  Detroit will be --Detroit.  UIC is a bigger question mark with a new coach.  Rebuilding at best.

The tournament is at The Joe in Detroit.

Kyle321n

I think Oakland, Milwaukee and Wright State are in the conversation for second best team in the Horizon right now. We all knock Kampe for his scheduling, but what's lost in it all is he can coach. Same goes for Jeter and Donlon.

Wright State: I think they had everyone from their starting lineup miss significant time last year and they return one of the best shooters in the league in Benzinger. Losing Hopkins hurts a little, and while I always like Arceneau (probably for his name) he never seemed to get better.

Milwaukee: Stupid Tiby is back. The Joakim Noah of the  Horizon League, I don't understand why he's good but he hustles and that seems to make him good. Along with Panoske and the Prahl twins they can actually match our size. But the skill level is significantly different. They don't have an Alec Peters, as much as Tiby would like to be him. Ugh I dislike Tiby.

Oakland: Felder is great. Jalen Hayes and Nick Daniels are going to be really good as well. They have no height to match us though so we should be able to pound them inside. But they will try to run us out of the gym, so even though we have a deep team we'll have to hope for a few days between our previous game and any game we play against Oakland.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

VULB#62

Adding to GB's profile is that they are also breaking in a new coach.

wh

Quote from: UConnHoops on August 27, 2015, 02:04:40 PM

No one.

a3uge

Valpo returns 98% of minutes and 99% of their points scored for a team that won both the conference tournament and regular season title. Nobody poses a threat for the regular season title. It would take a major injury for Valpo to not win the regular season. The two teams behind Valpo last year have lost their best players, so the competition for the next best team has dropped significantly.

But anyone can be upset in the conference tournament. Green Bay had a clear path to the tournament with a victory over a friggen 1 seed and a pair of players later signed to NBA team, but they screwed it all up at home vs a below .500 team.

classof2014

Truly any of these teams can upset Valpo and get to the dance.

1.) Milwaukee
2.) Oakland
3.) Wright State
4.) Detroit
5.) Cleveland State

I think this is the order of teams that have some sort of chance of knocking off Valpo and become the HL's Cinderella. Rob Jeter is a terrific coach, so is Donlon; every year it seems one of those two teams makes a run and comes out of nowhere. Kampe is a good coach, he does get into his own head quite often and over thinks certain situations; ie nobody on the FT line when Petros a 50% FT shooter is chucking up bricks. Detroit always seems to give Valpo fits and I think Waters style of play, low scoring and physical, can catch a team off guard and can win a 55-53 type game.

motowntitan

You guys seriously need to look at who Oakland has coming in.  They only finished two games behind you and will be even better next year.

Two eligible transfers from Iowa State and one possibly from Texas.

If all of them keep their heads on straight, you will be challenged.