• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2015-16 Season

Started by wh, July 19, 2015, 03:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairback

It was a very nice event put on by the university.  We have great student athletes at Valpo and events like this where you can talk to them just confirms it.

My observations are simple.  We are loaded more than we ever have been in Valpo history.  I started watching Valpo basketball in 1982 and we've never had this quality of players ever.  Plus we are deep in every position with talent.  All of these guys could start except for Cliff Jr and Davidson.  If we do not win a game in the tourney this year it will be a failure of a year.  Moral victories that have been accepted in the past can't happen this year.  Bryce and the coaches need to put it all together and just win.

Also, ML and the university have to step it up this year with marketing and promoting the team. We have a great opportunity here which we have failed at in the past. There is no excuse (except for 3 non D1 opponents) for there to be embarrassing attendance this year at games.  We need to get people in the seats.  Discount them if you have to.

valpocleveland

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpocleveland

Not a Bulls fan and too young to get the original reference, thanks.

frontrowfan

It was a great evening.   Got a chance to see a little practice, mix and mingle with both the Men's and Women's teams and more importantly got a chance to see some of the fan base.  Overall great turnout but mostly the tried and true fans

agibson

QuoteIt was a great evening.

Inquiring minds (palates?) want to know - Parea again this year, or something else?

humbleopinion

Parea.  The salmon was delicious.
Beamin' Beacons

rogerwilco

Looks like Valpo will be playing a "secret scrimmage" at Northwestern on 10/31.

justducky

Quote from: rogerwilco on October 22, 2015, 03:43:05 PMLooks like Valpo will be playing a "secret scrimmage" at Northwestern on 10/31.
Got it and your secret is safe with us.  ;)

Wait! Let me think. So Northwestern will not consider playing us because we are too good but they are perfectly willing to scrimmage with us so they can get better prepared for the Big Ten season.  ???

Couldn't we have found somebody a little more on our level?

covufan

Quote from: justducky on October 22, 2015, 04:48:28 PM
Quote from: rogerwilco on October 22, 2015, 03:43:05 PMLooks like Valpo will be playing a "secret scrimmage" at Northwestern on 10/31.
Got it and your secret is safe with us.  ;)

Wait! Let me think. So Northwestern will not consider playing us because we are too good but they are perfectly willing to scrimmage with us so they can get better prepared for the Big Ten season.  ???

Couldn't we have found somebody a little more on our level?
After the 'scrimmage', we should try to get NW for a home-and-home series, with a third year option for a pre-conference season double header with Loyola and DePaul at the Rosemont arena.

rogerwilco

Some other not-so secret scrimmages... ;)
10/31:
Dayton vs. Purdue (in Indianapolis)
Xavier vs. Illinois (in Indianapolis)
Baylor vs. Gonzaga (in Salt Lake City)
11/1:
Evansville vs. Central Michigan (in Indianapolis)

bbtds

Quote from: rogerwilco on October 22, 2015, 05:38:43 PM
Some other not-so secret scrimmages... ;)
10/31:
Dayton vs. Purdue (in Indianapolis)
Xavier vs. Illinois (in Indianapolis)
Baylor vs. Gonzaga (in Salt Lake City)
11/1:
Evansville vs. Central Michigan (in Indianapolis)

Any idea where these games are being played in Indy? Bankers Life?

rogerwilco

Unfortunately, I have no clue where they're being played. Maybe Oren knows...

vu72

Quote from: rogerwilco on October 22, 2015, 08:28:45 PM
Unfortunately, I have no clue where they're being played. Maybe Oren knows...

The games are private.  You won't be able to get in anyway.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

rogerwilco

Indeed. Coming soon to a closed gym at an unspecified location near you...and you'll never know the score. (unless there is a mole)

justducky

Quote from: justducky on October 22, 2015, 04:48:28 PMCouldn't we have found somebody a little more on our level?
After considerable thought I am now convinced that our choice of Northwestern as a sparring partner is an attempt to save travel money so we can afford our coast to coast pursuit of worthy opponents.   :thumbsup:

ValpoHoops

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25356774/cinderella-watch-valpo-stephen-f-austin-could-make-noise-in-march

1. VALPARAISO CRUSADERS

If there's a mid-major team more likely to make noise in the 2016 NCAA Tournament, you'd be hard-pressed to find it. The Crusaders are just one of those experience-heavy teams that can beat you on both ends of the floor. Senior guards Darien Walker and Keith Carter run the show, with another senior on the wing in E. Victor Nickerson. Sophomore Tevonn Carter also provides some explosiveness to round out the perimeter rotation. However, it's the frontcourt that wreaks the biggest havoc on mid-major opponents, as potential Horizon Player of the Year Alec Peters is one of the better stretch-4s in America and center Vashil Fernandez was the league's defensive player of the year last season. The group can defend the rim, get after you on the perimeter, space you out on offense by canning 3s at a high rate, and create offense with experienced guard play. What more do you need to hear when it comes to picking a potential Cinderella?

vufan7501

Same article preview of Iona Gaels at #8.

Under Tim Cluess, the Gaels are going to get up and down the floor and take efficient shots from 3 and around the rim. They do lose David Laury, a terrific big man inside who could just about everything for an offensive-minded team, but return their table-setter in A.J. English, who is one of the best players in all of college hoops. Isaiah Williams is their swiss-army knife who can not only guard five positions, but also knock down 43 percent of his 3s. Then of course, Schadrac Casimir is a rising sophomore that looks likely to take the mantle from English next season, and Kelvin Amayo is a pretty good athlete who fills holes. To replace Laury, look for a rotation of players like Aaron Roundtree, Taylor Bessick and Jordan Washington. 

vu72

Don't forget about No. 7, Belmont (we play them twice!)

7. BELMONT BRUINS

With Rick Byrd in charge, you know the Bruins will always bring terrific offensive sets and a great shooting percentage to the table. In fact, over the last four years, Belmont has finished in the top-five nationally in effective-field goal percentage every season, largely due to their propensity for accurately taking 3-pointers. And that shouldn't change in 2016, as four of their five starters will return to the fold, including Craig Bradshaw, who could have a shot to challenge for the top spot among national scorers. If the defense can make a leap from 250th nationally to right around the national average, Belmont could win 25 or so games and become a strong contender for an upset in the NCAA Tournament. Defense will hold the key to this team.

usc4valpo

Chairback

the key for the team this year is turnovers.  We improved last year but were still ranked in the middle of the 351 teams.  Our defense was awesome and if we can limit our turnovers and not give away scoring chances we will be very hard to beat.

covufan

Quote from: Chairback on October 29, 2015, 08:22:57 PM
the key for the team this year is turnovers.  We improved last year but were still ranked in the middle of the 351 teams.  Our defense was awesome and if we can limit our turnovers and not give away scoring chances we will be very hard to beat.

I tend to agree.  Our TO margin was -0.2, which for a 28-6 team is not very good.  In games against good teams, this has been our Achilles heel.  We also need to do better with our FT%.  We need to make teams pay for putting us on the line late in the game.  If we continue to be a good 3pt shooting team (and there is no reason to expect anything but better this year), I'd like to see more 3pt attempts.

justducky

Quote from: covufan on October 30, 2015, 10:07:25 AM
Quote from: Chairback on October 29, 2015, 08:22:57 PM

I tend to agree.  Our TO margin was -0.2, which for a 28-6 team is not very good.  In games against good teams, this has been our Achilles heel.  We also need to do better with our FT%.  We need to make teams pay for putting us on the line late in the game.  If we continue to be a good 3pt shooting team (and there is no reason to expect anything but better this year), I'd like to see more 3pt attempts.
I would think Bryce will use a shorter bench rotation (producing fewer turnovers) for selected quality opponents. Other opponents which might include Belmont could see some higher pressure, deeper bench rotations which may selectively run the floor. The later would certainly both create and commit additional turnovers.

I am not sure that I disagree with those I have quoted but to fully make use of our deep bench will require us to accept some amount of additional turnovers.

Quote from: covufan on October 30, 2015, 10:07:25 AMI'd like to see more 3pt attempts
The higher the % on our 2 pointers the less desirable the 3 point shot becomes. If Vashil and others have a breakout year around the basket expect the ball to go inside first where a double team should mean plenty of good 3 point looks.

sliman

There's been a lot of talk about our schedule and there continues to be evidence that it may be better than some thought (excluding the non-DI games).  The teams receiving votes in the pre-season polls and those highly regarded in individual conference races have been noted.  In addition, the names of individual opponents are popping up regularly.  In case you missed it, the AP pre-season story identified five under the radar players and we'll be facing three of them:
--E.C. Matthews, G, Rhode Island. One of the nation's best shooting guards averaged nearly 17 points per game last season.
--AJ English, G, Iona. Was the only player in the nation to average 20 points, five assists and five rebounds last season.
--Craig Bradshaw, G, Belmont. Made a name for himself against Virginia in the NCAA Tournament. Expect to hear from him some more.

Obviously these players will make their teams among our toughest opponents and it will be interesting to see how our defense handles them, especially since we face Bradshaw twice.

oklahomamick

Quote from: sliman on November 10, 2015, 02:53:27 PM--E.C. Matthews, G, Rhode Island. One of the nation's best shooting guards averaged nearly 17 points per game last season.

Would be nice to use some size to defend him (E.Victor) but he will not be available.  Who guards him?   
CRUSADERS!!!