• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Opponent Games and Scores

Started by talksalot, November 15, 2015, 09:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HC

Green Bay has a pretty cake schedule those first five games.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

talksalot

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 07, 2016, 09:56:21 PMDo we play at Iona next year?

I'd like to ... but this year the game was part of the Oregon State Tournament...(along with the two d-3 games).  They went to Corvallis and lost by 20 a few days before we went out there.

talksalot

Quote from: HC on January 07, 2016, 09:45:52 PMGreen Bay has a pretty cake schedule those first five games.

but they have a really strange schedule.... their last 10 games... first 5 on the road and end the season with 5 straight conference home games... ending with us.

talksalot

Friday 1/8
Detroit (9-5) 87 UIC (2-11) 69

12 in a row at Calihan for the Titans

waiting to see the Valpo RPI change from 28...

and there could be some wild swings tomorrow with 9 games featuring 13 of our opponents...

talksalot

Saturday 1/9/16 - 13 of our opponents are in action !
Wright State @ Northern Kentucky - ESPN3
Ball State @ Ohio
Illinois State @ Indiana State - ESPN3
Milwaukee @ Cleveland State - ESPN3
Eastern Illinois @ Belmont
Missouri State @ Loyola - ESPN3
Marist @ Iona - ESPN3
IPFW @ Denver
Green Bay @ Youngstown State - ESPN3
California @ Oregon State - PAC12 Network

Sunday 1/10
Rhode Island @ St. Josephs
UIC @ Oakland
Stanford @ Oregon

Monday 1/11
Cal State Bakersfield @ Chicago State

oklahomamick

Shouldn't be looking ahead at the schedule but noticed that we have a stretch of 4 games against the best of HL.  Oakland and Detroit on the road then  Milwaukee and Green Bay.  Thats a difficult stretch.  Would have liked a YSU or NKU in the middle. 
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 09, 2016, 09:31:16 AMShouldn't be looking ahead at the schedule

Well, it might help you get a reserved seat on the airplane ;)  Best of luck with your travels.  Not sure if it'll be as far East as Detroit, but weather coming in tonight.

talksalot

Saturday 1/9/16 - 13 of our opponents are in action !...

Only Ball State, RPI #201 let us down...losing to RPI #94

on the day, our opponents go 9-4, 3 were HL games (6-1 in teams-already-played)... RPI dips from 28 to 29 as of 5:25pm CT.. and dipped to 30 as of 7:01pm and two games to go...back to 28 before the Oregon State game final)... and we end up at #26 !...

Wright State (8-8) 60 Northern Kentucky (4-10) 46
Ohio 79 Ball State (10-5) 73, BSU has not won a road game all year
Indiana State (9-7) 77 Illinois State 65, Sycamores are 5-1 at home this year
Milwaukee (12-5) 65 Cleveland State (5-12) 62
Belmont (11-6) 85 Eastern Illinois 59
Missouri State (6-10) 56 Loyola 54 Nice Road win for the Bears,
Iona (9-6) 90 Marist 80  26 in a row at home for the Gaels
IPFW (14-4) 65 Denver 64 Nice road win for the Mastodons!
Youngstown State (7-10) 103 Green Bay (10-6) 93, Fear the 'Guins!
Oregon State (11-3) 77 Stanford 71, Beavers RPI is 33, Oregon up to #11

So after tomorrow... Valpo is either in first place (3-0)... or tied for 4th (2-1)

vu72

Don't look now but YSU just scored 100 on Green Bay and beat them by 9 I think, after leading by as many as 20. 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

Quote from: talksalot on January 09, 2016, 05:26:39 PMDon't look now but YSU just scored 100 on Green Bay and beat them by 9 I think, after leading by as many as 20.
103-93 What is this world coming to? Didn't anybody tell Slocum that he and his bunch aren't supposed to do that?

Maybe that last 3 games of non-conference against Notre Dame, Michigan and Purdue has had some positive benefits? Slocum for coach of the year?

oklahomamick

I watched it.  Very ugly game with turnovers and quick shots.  Green Bay presses the entire game.  YSU has a couple freshman that can shoot.  They will actually be good in a couple of years.  When I say good, middle to the top of the pack.  Certainly not the double bye material.  But time will tell. 
CRUSADERS!!!

StlVUFan

YSU certainly does not seem to know how to milk the clock when they are ahead.  They refuse to do it.  As much as valpo fans have been known to hate how Bryce has milked the clock in the past, the Penguins seem to be the opposite extreme.  They act like they are playing with a 12 second shot clock instead of 30.

It may well be that Slocum wants them to handle it this way.  I have trouble fathoming it, but that's what I saw tonight.  They single-handedly kept GB in the game -- just barely, as it turns out.

bbtds

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 09, 2016, 10:33:27 PM
YSU certainly does not seem to know how to milk the clock when they are ahead.  They refuse to do it.  As much as valpo fans have been known to hate how Bryce has milked the clock in the past, the Penguins seem to be the opposite extreme.  They act like they are playing with a 12 second shot clock instead of 30.

It may well be that Slocum wants them to handle it this way.  I have trouble fathoming it, but that's what I saw tonight.  They single-handedly kept GB in the game -- just barely, as it turns out.

And think what a little bit of defense would have done for GB. The Phoenix only lost by 10.

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on January 09, 2016, 11:01:20 PM

And think what a little bit of defense would have done for GB. The Phoenix only lost by 10.
How do you think they kept making a game of it?  They did play a little bit of defense down the stretch.

Just a little bit -- full court press, which I think bothered the Penguins a lot.

bbtds

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 10, 2016, 07:34:34 AM

How do you think they kept making a game of it?  They did play a little bit of defense down the stretch.

Just a little bit -- full court press, which I think bothered the Penguins a lot.
I suppose I think of defense as being in the half court and not pressing. Some how in my mind pressing is the same as fast breaking on offense. Run-run-run!

talksalot

Sunday 1/10...  after the UDM win... Valpo RPI up to 24 !  2:35pm... and the morning after... RPI stands at   22 !!!!! Thanks Ducks

St. Josephs 72 Rhode Island (10-6) 67
Oakland (10-7) 86 UIC (2-12) 61... Grizz drop 51 in the second half! Felder 26 pts, 0 rebs, 4 asts, 0-2 3ptrs.
Oregon (13-3) 71 Stanford 58

talksalot

Planning your week...

Monday 1/11
Cal State Bakersfield @ Chicago State

Tuesday 1/12
Ball State @ Western Michigan

Wednesday 1/13
Rhode Island @ St Bonaventure
Northern Iowa @ Indiana State
Wichita State @ Missouri State
Oregon State @ Colorado

Thursday 1/14
Cleveland State @ Wright State
Youngstown State @ Northern Kentucky
IPFW @ South Dakota State
Green Bay @ UIC
Chicago State @ Texas-Rio Grande Valley
Murray State @ Belmont
Oregon @ Utah

Friday 1/15
Monmouth @ Iona

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on January 10, 2016, 02:13:20 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on January 10, 2016, 07:34:34 AM

I suppose I think of defense as being in the half court and not pressing. Some how in my mind pressing is the same as fast breaking on offense. Run-run-run!
Ah.  I think of defense as trying to stop them from scoring.  Stealing it or forcing a turnover fits that definition ;)

talksalot

Monday 1/11 - this loss knocked us back up to RPI #23... thanks Cougars!

Cal State Bakersfield 67 Chicago State (4-14) 56

Not a lot of activity in D1 tonight...Monmouth (12-4), RPI 24, picked up a nice road win against Fairfield.

talksalot

Tuesday 1/12
Ball State (11-5) 74 Western Michigan 64

and the Valpo RPI rises to #21... but we have a few opponent-opponents on the court... and they are not doing particularly well ! 

and just like that... Toledo (Detroit, Oakland and Ball State Opponent)  and Kansas (Oregon State)both go down.. and the Valpo RPI goes back to #22... That OOWP will get you every time!

PS... I see this is my 1,000th post... and I guess I don't really win anything... I always wanted to be a legend in my own time.

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on January 12, 2016, 08:05:10 PM

PS... I see this is my 1,000th post... and I guess I don't really win anything... I always wanted to be a legend in my own time.

YOU'RE THE WINNER, TALKSALOT!!

...but don't respond for a while or you'll ruin it............. ;)

talksalot

Awwww, thanks BBTS!   (I Like the keyboard... nice touch)

Wednesday 1/13
Rhode Island @ St Bonaventure - Bonnies (11-3) favored by 1 at home
Northern Iowa @ Indiana State - Panthers (10-7) favored by 1.5 on the road
Wichita State @ Missouri State - Shockers (10-5) favored by 15 on the road
Oregon State @ Colorado - Buffalos (12-4) favored by 4.5 at home

Valpower

Quote from: talksalot on January 13, 2016, 08:43:31 AM
Awwww, thanks BBTS!   (I Like the keyboard... nice touch)

Wednesday 1/13
Rhode Island @ St Bonaventure - Bonnies (11-3) favored by 1 at home
Northern Iowa @ Indiana State - Panthers (10-7) favored by 1.5 on the road
Wichita State @ Missouri State - Shockers (10-5) favored by 15 on the road
Oregon State @ Colorado - Buffalos (12-4) favored by 4.5 at home
A highly-unlikely Missouri State win would be sweet and would help separate us from the Shockers in the polls.

talksalot

Wednesday 1/13 - Valpo RPI hanging in there at 22 with Rhody and MoSo losing;  and ISU winning.  A lot of OOWP opportunities tonight with a full valley schedule...and the OSU game upcoming... and at the end of the day, we drop to #23.  Thanks Beavers!  we held off Monmouth by .0002 to avoid falling to #24.

St Bonaventure 69 Rhode Island (10-7) 64 - tough road loss, Bonnies go up to 12-3, 4-0 in A10 and RPI is 57
Indiana State (10-7) 74 Northern Iowa 60 - Sycamores win again at home, up to 4-1 in the Valley; and 5-1 at home, ISU RPI is 138
Wichita State 78 Missouri State (6-11) 62 - Bears jump out 21-12 early... then tank after a pair of block-charge calls go against 'em.
Colorado 71 Oregon State (11-4) 54... as the Beavers take one on the chin! after having the lead 38-37 with 12:00 to play; Payton had 26 & 15... not enough.