• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Opponent Games and Scores

Started by talksalot, November 15, 2015, 09:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on January 13, 2016, 08:23:14 PMOregon State @ Colorado - Buffalos (12-4) favored by 4.5 at home

Had me yelling, "Go Tinkle" loudly at the TV but alas, buffaloed in the end 71-54. Men from Boulder are the winners.

talksalot

Thursday 1/14
Cleveland State @ Wright State - Raiders giving 7.5 at home
Youngstown State @ Northern Kentucky - Norsemen giving 2.5 at home
IPFW @ South Dakota State - Mastodons getting 9 points on the road
Green Bay @ UIC - UIC Getting 13 points at home
Chicago State @ Texas-Rio Grande Valley - No Line, Vaquero's low-water mark on attendance is 821.... so far
Murray State @ Belmont - Belmont giving 8.5 at home
Oregon @ Utah - Ducks getting 4.5 on the road (Utah beat Colorado who beat Oregon State)

Valpower

I'll be paying attention to the Wright State game. I'm not sure what to make of them, but they're the preeminent dark-horse candidate.

talksalot

Thursday 1/14 - so far, our already-played opponents wind up 2-4; despite the last two results, the RPI drops to #23 "the morning after"

Cleveland State @ Wright State (9-8) 70 Cleveland State (5-13) 53
Youngstown State @ Northern Kentucky (5-10) 84 Youngstown State (7-11) 64
South Dakota State 92 IPFW (14-5) 76
Green Bay (11-6) 78 UIC (2-13) 76
Texas-Rio Grande Valley 82 Chicago State (4-15) 72
Belmont  (12-6) 81 Murray State 73
Oregon (14-3) 77 Utah 59

and the KEN POM rankings have us now #2 behind Louisville for total defense...

Valpower

Belmont with the home win over Murray State.

talksalot

Friday 1/15
Monmouth @ Iona -

Interesting spread has the Gaels giving 2 at home against 12-4 Monmouth.... the LONG home winning streak is on the line!

From the Gael's Game notes:    Iona has won 17 of its last 18 and 25 of its last 27 MAAC regular season contests. Iona matched its best ever Hynes Center MAAC record at 9-0 in 2014-15 and have won 17 straight MAAC games at home. The last time Iona went unbeaten in MAAC play was 1997-98 (9-0). Iona is 45-4 in MAAC contests in New Rochelle under head coach Tim Cluess.    • Iona has won 26 straight home contests.
Following home losses by Old Dominion last night, the Gaels now own the sixth longest active streak in the NCAA. It has won 28 of its last 29 and 51 of its last 55.   • The current winning streak is the longest in school history, surpassing the 21 straight set from 1978-80.

For your weekend viewing pleasure:

Saturday 1/16
IPFW @ Nebraska - Omaha
Miami (OH) @ Ball State
LaSalle @ Rhode Island
Oakland @ Detroit
Milwaukee @ UIC
Youngstown State @ Wright State
Cleveland State @ Northern Kentucky
Missouri State @ Bradley
Austin Peay @ Belmont
Chicago State @ New Mexico State

Sunday 1/17
Iona @ Rider
Indiana State @ Wichita State
Oregon @ Colorado
Oregon State @ Utah

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on January 15, 2016, 11:07:28 AMIona has won 26 straight home contests.
Following home losses by Old Dominion last night, the Gaels now own the sixth longest active streak in the NCAA.

I've been optimistically wondering what this list looks like.  The best version I've found is at
http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2016/stats
(which apparently gets the Iona number wrong, so take it with a grain of salt, I guess...)

Valpo's apparently T10.

Very amusing that 4 road wins is enough to get you into the top-10 active streak list currently.  Hopefully we join that soon.  (Or maybe it gets tougher to make the list during conference play, with surely some other weak conferences dominated by a single strong team?)

a3uge

Quote from: talksalot on January 15, 2016, 11:07:28 AM
Friday 1/15
Monmouth @ Iona -

Interesting spread has the Gaels giving 2 at home against 12-4 Monmouth.... the LONG home winning streak is on the line!

From the Gael's Game notes:    Iona has won 17 of its last 18 and 25 of its last 27 MAAC regular season contests. Iona matched its best ever Hynes Center MAAC record at 9-0 in 2014-15 and have won 17 straight MAAC games at home. The last time Iona went unbeaten in MAAC play was 1997-98 (9-0). Iona is 45-4 in MAAC contests in New Rochelle under head coach Tim Cluess.    • Iona has won 26 straight home contests.
Following home losses by Old Dominion last night, the Gaels now own the sixth longest active streak in the NCAA. It has won 28 of its last 29 and 51 of its last 55.   • The current winning streak is the longest in school history, surpassing the 21 straight set from 1978-80.

For your weekend viewing pleasure:

Saturday 1/16
IPFW @ Nebraska - Omaha
Miami (OH) @ Ball State
LaSalle @ Rhode Island
Oakland @ Detroit
Milwaukee @ UIC
Youngstown State @ Wright State
Cleveland State @ Northern Kentucky
Missouri State @ Bradley
Austin Peay @ Belmont
Chicago State @ New Mexico State

Sunday 1/17
Iona @ Rider
Indiana State @ Wichita State
Oregon @ Colorado
Oregon State @ Utah
Monmouth Iona on ESPNU at 9PM is a must see for mid major basketball fans! Major implications for Valpo - an Iona win would give us higher stature since we beat Iona and need them to be in the top 100 RPI, and it may also knock Monmouth below Valpo in terms of potential tournament seeding, or even at-large considerations!

Plus Monmouth's bench is fun to watch.

valpo64

I heard a radio interview on Detroit radio(WJR) this morning with Coach McC of Detroit.  He pretty much pleaded for the fans to come out for the game with Oakland which is at Detroit on Saturday.  He said that Callahan holds 8,700.  I didn't realize it held that many.
The interviewer, Frank Beckmann, said there probably wont be alot of defense in the game seeing that both teams average around 85 ppg.  The Coach agreed.  He basically also agreed with the premise that Detroit probably had kept Oakland out of the Horizon in order to maintain a recruiting advantage in the Detroit area.  He also  felt having the tourney there will be a big recruiting advantage to them and OU.  Really?

justducky

Quote from: a3uge on January 15, 2016, 03:35:08 PMMonmouth Iona on ESPNU at 9PM is a must see for mid major basketball fans! Major implications for Valpo - an Iona win would give us higher stature since we beat Iona and need them to be in the top 100 RPI, and it may also knock Monmouth below Valpo in terms of potential tournament seeding, or even at-large considerations!

Plus Monmouth's bench is fun to watch.
Thats 8:00 central. Monmouth has road wins at Notre Dame, Georgetown and Rutgers. They also have a neutral court victory over UCLA and took Dayton to the wire with a 73-70 loss.

Monmouth does trail VU by 3 in RPI @26, 32 in Pomeroy @50 vs 18, and 33 in Sagarin @68 vs our 35. Numbers aside their play and bench antics are a more interesting story than our suffocating defense and I'm sure the NCAA would love to include them in the tournament field. Their bench antics highlight reel dwarfs anything we have accomplished on the court!  :o

78crusader

This is not meant to knock VU, but how in the world can Monmouth trail VU -- in some instances by considerable margins -- in these ranking systems? 

Let's say you asked the random college basketball fan to compare these two teams and pick the one with the most impressive resume:

Team A 14-3
Wins: Oregon St, Iona, Belmont, Rhode Island, Oakland   Losses: Oregon, Ball St, Belmont

Team B 12-4
Wins: Notre Dame, UCLA, USC, Georgetown, Rutgers      Losses: USC, Army, Canisius, Dayton

Would most people choose Team A?

Paul

a3uge

Quote from: 78crusader on January 15, 2016, 05:08:46 PM
This is not meant to knock VU, but how in the world can Monmouth trail VU -- in some instances by considerable margins -- in these ranking systems? 

Let's say you asked the random college basketball fan to compare these two teams and pick the one with the most impressive resume:

Team A 14-3
Wins: Oregon St, Iona, Belmont, Rhode Island, Oakland   Losses: Oregon, Ball St, Belmont

Team B 12-4
Wins: Notre Dame, UCLA, USC, Georgetown, Rutgers   Losses: USC, Army, Canisius, Dayton

Paul

Oh my god they beat RUTGERS!??

agibson

Quote from: 78crusader on January 15, 2016, 05:08:46 PMWould most people choose Team A?

Monmouth has some great wins for sure.  USC and Notre Dame are good wins, absolutely, even on neutral courts.  They also lost @USC.

@Army's a significantly worse loss than @Belmont, and @Canisius worse even than @Ball State.

I guess the computers are saying they have the flashier schedule - more chances at top 50 and top 100 opponents, including chances on a neutral court.

But, given our schedule, given our opponents and our performances against them, we look better overall than Monmouth.  And would be expected to do better than Monmouth with the same schedule, or in the NCAA.

But, yeah, I don't want to go head-to-head with them on Selection Sunday.  I don't trust the Selection Committee to side with the computer numbers over the "Big Wins + Worse-than-Valpo's Losses".  I'd be happy for Monmouth to pick up a couple of more bad losses, and then for Iona to knock them off in the conference tournament.

And, who knows, maybe Monmouth is the better choice for "can likely do some damage in the NCAA tournament".  A track record of wins against the big boys is hard to argue with.

Valpower

Team A 14-3

Team B 12-4
Wins: Notre Dame, UCLA, USC, Georgetown, Rutgers      Losses: USC, Army, Canisius, Dayton

Paul
If they are not particularly well informed; of course.  The RPI was partly devised to combat this tendency to overestimate the strength of traditional powers in any given year.  If Oregon State beat Notre Dame, UCLA, USC, and Georgetown on the road this year, their name would still not impress people, in spite of their conference affiliation.

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on January 15, 2016, 03:35:08 PMMonmouth Iona on ESPNU at 9PM [8PM Central] is a must see for mid major basketball fans!

Sounds like a good one, I'll try to tune in. 

Speaking of Adam Amin, on the other thread, not featuring opponents of ours, but, instead, an alum of ours:

[tweet]688145158508941312[/tweet]

truth219

Team A 14-3

Team B 12-4

Paul
I'd trade our signature wins with theirs

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

vusupporter

Monmouth has played eight games against teams 200 or worse in the KenPom rankings, we've played three. There's your difference.

talksalot

At the Half, Gaels up 45-44...scoring the last 9 points (7 by AJEnglish) of the half.

Just looked at Monmouth's schedule... they have played 3... count 'em 3 home games, with Wagner as their only OOC Home opponent.... and they played their first two Conference games on 12/4 and 12/6...
and they actually played USC Twice; losing @USC 101-90 in a pre-tournament game...went to the advocare tourney near Orlando; and got bracketed against them 13 days later and beat 'em by 10.

talksalot

Monmouth 110 Iona 102.... regulation and a brawl at the "hand shaking" when it was over... what a mess....

That will be reviewed by the MAAC and there will be penalties and suspensions from that...

There goes the winning streak...the Watching this on the APP, don't know if the U carried all of the mess....

and the Valpo RPI falls to 24... despite Toledo's win helping the OOWP...

Well, tomorrow's another day

HC

I turned it off as the coaches were shaking hands....

While they were trying to make their comeback, Iona was pretty aggressive. I'm sure someone on Monmouth took exception to getting whacked. Towards the end English caught his defender with an inadvertent (I assume) elbow, I'm sure that didn't help things.

a3uge

AJ English had 45, but Iona loses.

Big fight at end which will end in at least one Iona suspension.

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on January 15, 2016, 10:15:28 PMdon't know if the U carried all of the mess....

They seemed to stick around, extended coverage.

justducky

Quote from: talksalot on January 15, 2016, 10:15:28 PMMonmouth 110 Iona 102.... regulation and a brawl at the "hand shaking" when it was over... what a mess....
I fell asleep just prior to that.   :snore:

I have a better appreciation for our non stop, no excuses, lock down defense now that I have watched 40 straight minutes of transition basketball. Iona doesn't seem to have the depth for for it or the outside shooting, but I now understand why Monmouth has picked up some big wins.

My opinion VU better than Monmouth by 3 to 5 just like the RPI, Sag, and Pomeroy have indicated.

a3uge

Entertaining game between Detroit and Oakland. Virtually no defense.

talksalot

Saturday 1/16 - So far, our Opponents have been helping out !!... and the RPI has jumped to #20!... before the night games....

SO... ALL of our non-conference opponents won their games today EXCEPT Chicago State... and at 10:45pm... the RPI is at...... 17 !!!!!    :o :thumbsup: ;D

IPFW (15-5) 106 Nebraska-Omaha 101 (OT)
Ball State (12-5) 48 Miami 46
Rhode Island (11-7) 73 LaSalle 62
Oakland (11-7) 86 Detroit (9-7) 82.... Both 3-2 in conference
Milwaukee (13-6) 87 UIC (2-14) 62 ... Milw 4-2, UIC, is not.
Wright State (10-8) 81 Youngstown State (7-12) 45 ... WSU is 4-1, YST is 2-4
Cleveland State (6-13) 70 Northern Kentucky (5-11) 65  CSU is 1-5, NoKy is 1-4
Missouri State (7-11) 61 Bradley 42
Belmont (13-6) 76 Austin Peay 58
New Mexico State 80 Chicago State (4-16) 62

and the team charter leaves from Porter County Airport on Sunday...