• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Opponent Games and Scores

Started by talksalot, November 15, 2015, 09:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

truth219

Outside of valpo, the horizon league is awful. We shouldn't lose before the end of March

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

vu72

Just watched Butler going to 2-4 in the Big Least and Oakland imploding.  All I can honestly say is that Oakland and Detroit are on the same, continue to fail, plane.  Both have great high school talent who have been schooled on the AAU level.  Ya know, "give me the ball so I can show the scouts my stuff".  It ain't working at either place.  Kampe is a bigger mouth but he nor McCallum can get his kids to play team basketball.

The NKU coach has his kids playing great and we will face a challenge against them.  At this point I would be surprised if either Detroit or Oakland make it to the Horizon finals.  time to move on to the A-10...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: Valpower on January 19, 2016, 08:03:39 PM
Just "wow".  They're going to lose and I'm not sure how I feel. On the one hand, I get to be snarky about Felder getting his 20 points, but on the other, I want things to make sense.

NKY wins by seventeen.  Like we won by seventeen - takes a bit of the shine off it, eh?

RPI 319 NKY (OK, now 275).  3rd D1 win NKY.  UIC was hoping they might be the one team they could beat, NKY.  Wow.

Vegas line was Oakland by 13.  RPI Forecast prediction was Oakland by 15, NKY with a 9% chance to win.

agibson

Quote from: Valpower on January 19, 2016, 08:09:56 PMWe want the two teams we are likely to play in the tournament to have the highest RPI (since we'll play the other conference foes twice apiece) but I'm not sure Oakland will make it that far.

A piece of me wouldn't mind Oakland falling a bit, maybe still taking the third seed, but then losing in the first round of the tournament to Youngstown or somebody.  (Guess it would be UIC!)  Just to diminish, or at least contrast, the whole Felder POY thing.

Analytically, we might be interested in some hope of a HL team making it above RPI 100, to give us a couple of RPI 100 games in conference.  Oakland debatably had the best chance.  Maybe they could still do it, if they can keep it to maybe another loss or two (ha!) - and winning some tournament games would help.  But, at this point, who knows who has the best chance?  Nobody has a good chance.

Or we could just hope for "play the highest RPI teams in the tournament".  Then we'd like The #2 and #4 teams, presumably, in the HL to get as many wins as possible.  A top group, and then separation, that sort of thing.

Or, if we wanted to maximize our chances of winning the tournament, we could root for our biggest bogeymen to have to play 2-3 games before they see us.  Not sure, at this point, who that might be...

If we relax too much, or have an off night, of course we _could_ lose to most anybody - probably anybody in the league on a really hot night.  But, when Valpo's playing a decent game, I can't help but begin to wonder if they have much competition...  Maybe Wright State will prove to be made out of sterner stuff.  (And, again, maybe we'll lose at UIC!)

a3uge

Welp, there goes their chance at an at-large...

[emoji16]

vu72

At this point Wright State is the team to beat!  BIG game coming on the road!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on January 19, 2016, 08:27:21 PM
Welp, there goes their chance at an at-large...

[emoji16]

There's always Milwaukee!

FWalum

Thought this was interesting and not sure if this is the place for this, but some of the Indiana Wesleyan games are on ESPN3 including today's game against Mount Vernon.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on January 19, 2016, 08:16:17 PMIt ain't working at either place.  Kampe is a bigger mouth but he nor McCallum can get his kids to play team basketball.
I can't find words to describe the scope of this tragedy. This dwarfs the lead poisoned Flint,Michigan water supply issue by a mile.  :-X

What is going on?  :o

Valpower

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 19, 2016, 08:13:19 PM
Quote from: hailcrusaders on January 19, 2016, 08:11:05 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on January 19, 2016, 08:05:59 PM
Quote from: Valpower on January 19, 2016, 08:03:39 PMJust "wow".  They're going to lose and I'm not sure how I feel. On the one hand, I get to be snarky about Felder getting his 20 points, but on the other, I want things to make sense.
Why does the Oakland RPI matter more if in the long run, we're going to play (and presumably beat) each team twice? We want Oakland to win and have the highest RPI they can get.  No hope on NKU RPI.

I'm assuming that's who we will play in the finals.  Despite the bad loses, they have a high ceiling.  Also they will play their best game against us.  They overachieve against us.
I'm not so sure they had that high a ceiling, as that requires the possibility for improved team play.  Unfortunately, Kampe (like Ray McC) chose to elevate the status of one player way above the others as a path to greatness.  It worked for a while, but naturally at the expense of flexibility and long-term harmony.  To his credit, he's getting a lot of attention for the school while we quietly take care of business the old-fashioned way. Hopefully for him, Felder's stock won't be tarnished by the team's underperformance and he'll be able to promise the next aspirational pro lots of minutes and a game plan designed to showcase his talents.

a3uge

How stupid do those 6 voters who picked Oakland to win the conference look now? And the idiot that picked UDM as #1?

a3uge

How stupid do those 6 voters who picked Oakland to win the conference look now? And the idiot that picked UDM as #1?

talksalot

Tuesday 1/19
Kent State 76 Ball State (12-6) 68  - Ball State favored by 5
Northern Kentucky (6-11) 90 Oakland (11-8) 73- Grizzlies favored by 15
Green Bay (12-7) 99 Chicago State (4-17) 66 - Phoenix giving 7.5 on the road

so our already-played opponents go 1-3...

the OOWP did not fare as well... the OK State and Kansas game was a wash + for Missouri State and - for Oregon

the Ball State game hurt us, the Kent helped out YST and CLEV ST

Akron winning helps out Green Bay and Iona
they beat Eastern Michigan... that hurts Oakland and Detroit

Bottom line... with a few games still out... Valpo's RPI falls to 27, SOS falls to 124; Ken Pom Defense #3 still intact

oklahomamick

We need to be careful, it could happen to us.
CRUSADERS!!!

talksalot

Wednesday 1/20
Missouri State @ Drake - Bulldogs giving one point at home
Indiana State @ Southern Illinois - Saluki's giving 3 points at home
UCLA @ Oregon State - Beavers giving 2 points at home

OOWP might do ok, Georgia, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Baylor all favored.

oklahomamick

I think we would have a better shot getting into the MVC.  Plus it's not as much travel. 
CRUSADERS!!!

justducky

Obviously the sum of Oakland's parts exceed its assembled finished product value. So if this was a new car it would already be parted out on a chop shop floor.

Or-----If this was a "Semi-Pro" basketball franchise the GM would be talking trades with every team on the planet as well as promoting their upcoming halftime event featuring Kampe wrestling an unshackled, unmuzzled, trophy sized Grizzle. How else are they going to get fans to come back?

FWalum

Quote from: justducky on January 20, 2016, 09:40:16 AM
Obviously the sum of Oakland's parts exceed its assembled finished product value. So if this was a new car it would already be parted out on a chop shop floor.

Or-----If this was a "Semi-Pro" basketball franchise the GM would be talking trades with every team on the planet as well as promoting their upcoming halftime event featuring Kampe wrestling an unshackled, unmuzzled, trophy sized Grizzle. How else are they going to get fans to come back?
I think the Oakland poster that talked about the transfers not fitting in with their "better than this" attitude makes a good point as does justducky. How does this player; SHERRON DORSEY-WALKER OVERVIEW: Spent his first two seasons at Iowa State, redshirting his first season ... One of the top prospects out of Michigan ... Rated No. 125 in the Rivals.com rankings and listed as the second-best player out of Michigan ... Ranked as the 24th-best shooting guard in the Class of 2012 ... Had offers from Michigan, Baylor, Boston College, Florida State, Indiana and Virginia Tech out of High School ...Was high school teammates with Kahlil Felder ...

Put up this stat line?????
## Player Name            FG-FGA 3FG-3FGA FT-FTA OF DE TOT PF  TP  A TO BLK S MIN  EFF/POS
30 DORSEY-WALKER        1-5        0-2         0-0     1   1     2   3   2   2  1   0   2  30     .058

Does this performance justify 30 minutes on the floor under Head Coach Drew?  Not a chance unless he was shutting out NKU's leading scorer and that certainly wasn't happening.

When I saw this kid play early in the season I thought Oakland had found the missing piece of the puzzle and that we were being put on notice that they indeed had a ton of talent and would be neck and neck with us for the conference title.  Now it looks like somebody just scrambled all of the pieces.  I honestly hope they get their act together because this is getting embarrassing for the league.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

classof2014

If Oakland ever wants to truly compete year-in-year-out as being one of the top mid-majors in the country they need to get rid of King Kampe, or at least he really needs to retool his coaching style.

The lets see if we can outscore our opponent night-in-night-out is a recipe for mediocrity. Yes, they were able to appear in the tourney in a poor Summit League where that coaching style works. Yes, from time to time they can compete with the big boys in the B1G but by trying to put up 90 every night and not playing much defense the opposing team will more likely than not be able to put up 90 as well. Some nights you score 91 they get 85, some nights its the opposite. Which leads to a .500 record; which is what Oakland is. A mediocre team, more than capable of pulling off an upset but nonetheless still a mediocre team.

The reason why Valpo is so strong is their defense. One of the tops in the country, it allows you to overcome offensive blunders, poor shooting performances, and perhaps those buckets that just seem to spin out at the last second. Don't get me wrong, Valpo is by far the most talented team in the Horizon League, would the be 6-0 if they played a run-and-gun style of offense? Perhaps. The reason why they win games by 15-20 points is their defense.

Take a look at some of the other more successful HL teams. One in particular is Wright State. There's a reason why they always seem to finish in top of the HL. It certainly isn't because they're the most talented teams. This is a perfect example of the sum of the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. They play defense, which allows them to beat teams like Oakland and Detroit that may be more talented but certainly not better coached.

So if Oakland ever wants to succeed King Kampe's style of having 6 guys play the whole game, have one player take nothing but 3s, another one just throw-up shots left and right and hope they fall, will never work on a consistent basis. Period. End of story.

a3uge

Quote from: classof2014 on January 20, 2016, 10:43:58 AM
If Oakland ever wants to truly compete year-in-year-out as being one of the top mid-majors in the country they need to get rid of King Kampe, or at least he really needs to retool his coaching style.

The lets see if we can outscore our opponent night-in-night-out is a recipe for mediocrity. Yes, they were able to appear in the tourney in a poor Summit League where that coaching style works. Yes, from time to time they can compete with the big boys in the B1G but by trying to put up 90 every night and not playing much defense the opposing team will more likely than not be able to put up 90 as well. Some nights you score 91 they get 85, some nights its the opposite. Which leads to a .500 record; which is what Oakland is. A mediocre team, more than capable of pulling off an upset but nonetheless still a mediocre team.

The reason why Valpo is so strong is their defense. One of the tops in the country, it allows you to overcome offensive blunders, poor shooting performances, and perhaps those buckets that just seem to spin out at the last second. Don't get me wrong, Valpo is by far the most talented team in the Horizon League, would the be 6-0 if they played a run-and-gun style of offense? Perhaps. The reason why they win games by 15-20 points is their defense.

Take a look at some of the other more successful HL teams. One in particular is Wright State. There's a reason why they always seem to finish in top of the HL. It certainly isn't because they're the most talented teams. This is a perfect example of the sum of the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. They play defense, which allows them to beat teams like Oakland and Detroit that may be more talented but certainly not better coached.

So if Oakland ever wants to succeed King Kampe's style of having 6 guys play the whole game, have one player take nothing but 3s, another one just throw-up shots left and right and hope they fall, will never work on a consistent basis. Period. End of story.

valpo64

Once again "King Kampe" proves he is the biggest "B S er" of the HL coaches. and nowhere near being the best coach.   All of his talk about how his "team" was next to Valpo.  Then getting whipped by NKU?  Are you kidding me?  Once again all he wants to talk, especially about his star, Felder.  He thrives on having a superstar every year who plays nearly 40 minutes every game...Felder this year, Bader last year.  He was grooming the Hooper kid to replace  Bader but that hasn't worked out.  By-the-way, has Hooper taken any 2 point shots yet this year?  Up until a few games ago he had only taken 3 point attempts.

This year the HL has been a joke of sorts.  We clearly are the cream of the crop and should to continue to dominate the League the rest of this season.  Sometimes it reminds me of the Butler teams of a few years ago, especially the one who went undefeated in League play under Stevens, and ran roughshod over the League.  GO VALPO!

The "King" loves to talk, Bryce  likes to COACH.  The results are most evident.

IndyValpo

They hand Oakland 5 home games and a trip to Detroit to start the conference season and they head to the tougher part of their schedule 3-3...classic!!

oklahomamick

IPFW's top scorer is not ineligible. 
CRUSADERS!!!

talksalot

Terry Foster's insider story dateline today:

http://www.goldengrizzlies.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/012016aab.html

Statistics through the NKU game

Hooper is 63 of 144 Field Goals...
Hooper is 63 of 144 3pt Field Goals

Felder is averaging 37.6 minutes per game.
Dorsey Walker is at 32.0 minutes per game

(Peters is at 30.2; Carter is at 28)