• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/26- Milwaukee @ UWM Panther Arena

Started by HailVU2014, February 22, 2016, 02:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

The biggest thing at risk tonight was team confidence. As long as that wasn't threatened there was very little actually at stake. Sometimes it showed.

A down to the wire win is a wonderful thing. BIG!!!

historyman

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 26, 2016, 09:05:01 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on February 26, 2016, 08:40:46 AM
About to board a flight to ORD from 70 degree Tulsa and then drive to Milwaukee.  How are the roads? 

Totally clear now. Good thing you weren't flying 48 hours earlier.
There were never any weather issues in Chicago except a little snow. The bad weather issues were in Kankakee County and Indiana.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

So did ESPN have any excuse for not sending the PBP and color to Milwaukee?

Chairback

Did the announcers at one point say Vashil had graduated from Milwaukee?  I'm pretty sure they did.

Jabril had two horrible defense efforts in crucial moment of this game.  Poor D on the Tiby post move down low and the other play he was lazy on a box out.  I know everyone loves him but every time he gets the ball in his hand he either turns it over or shoots a horrible shot.  The 3's he's made this year are luck and I cringe when he takes them.  He needs to bang down low and rebound the ball. 

Looking at the Carter 3 you could tell he was completely confident in making that.  Glad to see him step up and hit a huge shot.

talksalot

Quote from: agibson on February 26, 2016, 10:01:40 PMSo did ESPN have any excuse for not sending the PBP and color to Milwaukee

They've been doing that a lot... Adam Amin has done several games from the studio... and yes, they told the story of Vashil on senior day at Milwaukee last year... and repeated Milwaukee several times....

wh

Credit Milwaukee for a much better performance tonight than in game-1 at the ARC. We could verily easily see them again in the semi's at Detroit.

justducky

Quote from: Chairback on February 26, 2016, 10:14:31 PMThe 3's he's made this year are luck and I cringe when he takes them. 
First- nobody hits 15 of 25 3 point shots by being lucky. Second- be ready to do lots of cringing come tournament time because that is something that even good defensive teams might fail to cover.

a3uge

Quote from: Chairback on February 26, 2016, 10:14:31 PM
Did the announcers at one point say Vashil had graduated from Milwaukee?  I'm pretty sure they did.

Jabril had two horrible defense efforts in crucial moment of this game.  Poor D on the Tiby post move down low and the other play he was lazy on a box out.  I know everyone loves him but every time he gets the ball in his hand he either turns it over or shoots a horrible shot.  The 3's he's made this year are luck and I cringe when he takes them.  He needs to bang down low and rebound the ball. 

Looking at the Carter 3 you could tell he was completely confident in making that.  Glad to see him step up and hit a huge shot.

The sample size is large enough to where Jubril's threes are good to take. You could tell they were guarding him close from the three. I think his defense is respectable enough - I love his ability to knock down open mid range jumpers. He has a 57.5% efg rate, which is 3rd on the team. Surprisingly, he's 2nd on the team in defensive rating, so he's clearly not been a defensive liability like years past.

truth219

Adekoya can shoot. He takes good shots for the most part. Compare him to back up post players of years past. He's kind of a stud

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

crusadermoe

UW-M did win two Big 10 games on the road so they have poise.  But hard to believe when you see the players individually.

Is it just me or does Milwaukee always seem to have a team with odd looking players and offensive movment?   They get it done, and it always surprises me because they look bad doing it.   Maybe they recruit for the unathletic, but productive player.  They had that one guy a few years ago who went about 6'6" and 320.

Chairback

I think Peters was fouled before the ball got stripped on that last play before regulation. 

I also think Tiby traveled on his wild 3 shot.  To me he took steps without putting the ball down and they didn't call.  Great D on that play.

agibson

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 27, 2016, 08:09:11 AMThey had that one guy a few years ago who went about 6'6" and 320.

Big Lumber!

agibson

Quote from: Chairback on February 27, 2016, 08:59:03 AMI think Peters was fouled before the ball got stripped on that last play before regulation.

I thought so too at first, and was upset at the refs.

Watching the replay, it looked more like Peters fumbled it rather than getting stripped, and then I was less bothered by the refs.

a3uge

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 27, 2016, 08:09:11 AM
UW-M did win two Big 10 games on the road so they have poise.  But hard to believe when you see the players individually.

Is it just me or does Milwaukee always seem to have a team with odd looking players and offensive movment?   They get it done, and it always surprises me because they look bad doing it.   Maybe they recruit for the unathletic, but productive player.  They had that one guy a few years ago who went about 6'6" and 320.

The win at Wisconsin was impressive. The win at Minnesota? Eh. They're awful.

UWM seems to always have a team full of big ugly white dudes. And they made plays down the stretch - almost lost it when Arians hit that step back three. Then on the other end he takes a "charge" - well, the refs saw it that way, never mind him shuffling his feet while flopping over. Every time Valpo made a big play in OT, UWM would answer with a big shot. But Valpo made plays too and played smart. Bryce clearing everyone out so Carter could go 1 on 1 at the end was a good move. We missed the 2 for 1 opportunity vs Wright State trying to set up a play, so clearing everyone out to have Carter drive or pull up was awesome to see. Then on the other end, Tiby threw up a wild shot trying to draw a foul on a three - horrible decision there. Good to see Bryce out-coaching Jeter.

historyman

Quote from: agibson on February 27, 2016, 09:53:42 AM
Quote from: Chairback on February 27, 2016, 08:59:03 AMI think Peters was fouled before the ball got stripped on that last play before regulation.

I thought so too at first, and was upset at the refs.

Watching the replay, it looked more like Peters fumbled it rather than getting stripped, and then I was less bothered by the refs.

Peters was fouled. The refs were awful for both teams.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

oklahomamick

Quote from: agibson on February 27, 2016, 09:51:40 AM
Quote from: crusadermoe on February 27, 2016, 08:09:11 AMThey had that one guy a few years ago who went about 6'6" and 320.
Big Lumber!

I posted a picture of him on the first page of this thread.
CRUSADERS!!!

valpo64

I don't know which was worst, the announcers or the officiating.  Oh, now I remember, THEY WERE BOTH TERRIBLE!

govalpogo

Watched the replay today, much less stressful when you know the outcome.  Pretty great overtime to watch with both teams answering big shot with big shot.  Loved the "Let's go Valpo chant with 3.3 seconds left.  You know that you're team is something special in a league when opponents are making t-shirts for when you come to town!

a3uge

Also, a couple asides:

* The mustard seats they installed when they switched the name to the Panther Arena recently are really ugly. They look like they're from the 70s. I think they should have went with black seats... can't believe they managed to make it look worse than the red and blue seats.
* ESPN did a 30 for 30 in the old MECCA court. Amazing how boring and uninspired the UWM court is.
* Decent student section for once, but man, tons of empty seats in the first 4 or 5 rows.
* ESPN, get your stuff together.
* Sit down in front of the camera!
* Those announcers were horrible. Tewonn? Cmon man!

VULB#62

Quote from: govalpogo on February 27, 2016, 01:18:30 PM
Watched the replay today, much less stressful when you know the outcome.  Pretty great overtime to watch with both teams answering big shot with big shot.  Loved the "Let's go Valpo chant with 3.3 seconds left.  You know that you're team is something special in a league when opponents are making t-shirts for when you come to town!

Didn't see the game. What did the shirts say?

oklahomamick

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 27, 2016, 01:41:06 PM
Quote from: govalpogo on February 27, 2016, 01:18:30 PMWatched the replay today, much less stressful when you know the outcome.  Pretty great overtime to watch with both teams answering big shot with big shot.  Loved the "Let's go Valpo chant with 3.3 seconds left.  You know that you're team is something special in a league when opponents are making t-shirts for when you come to town!
Didn't see the game. What did the shirts say?

UWM > Valpo
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Witty, subtle but with just the right amount of sarcasm, and certainly high on the laugh scale for creativity. Not

a3uge

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 27, 2016, 02:02:08 PM
Witty, subtle but with just the right amount of sarcasm, and certainly high on the laugh scale for creativity. Not
It was this, but reversed:

StlVUFan

Sorry I didn't know oklahomamick was going to be at the game or I would have said hi.

I sat in the Valpo fan section and we had PantherU (BlackPantherUWM on this forum, I think?) in the section just below us and DunneDeal in our section and the 3 of us were up yelling at the refs several times during the game, and I think each time one of us yelled, the other side was in full agreement.

The one that stood out for me was when Darien got bodied into a traveling call.  I stood up at yelled, "WHAT THE HELL????????????????????????" as loud as I could and simultaneously PantherU stood up and looked back at me with a look that expressed the exact same sentiment.

The 3 of us were in agreement on just about every single call.  It was one of the worse officiated games I have ever seen -- both ways.  I wasn't mad because we were getting screwed or anything like that, I was mad because the players and the coaches were giving full effort and the refs were sleepwalking through it by comparison.

I did notice from Twitter that the announcers were in the studio which -- I guess -- works in theory, but man the idiocy I was hearing about (haven't listened to the replay yet) was something else.  Sounds like it was thoroughly unprofessional.

I don't really like it myself, but then even when they do show up it's not clear they spend enough time (or any time at all in some cases) with the respective media guides and SIDs to make sure they get things right.