• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

ESPN Bracketology

Started by oklahomamick, December 08, 2015, 10:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 28, 2016, 05:00:39 PM
Quote from: a3uge on January 27, 2016, 04:58:17 PMTickets through Valpo last year were $95, but again, those seats were pretty bad.

I thought they were pretty good myself.

They were okay. I wouldn't call them good. At least they weren't in the deck above us.

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on January 30, 2016, 01:16:45 AM
Quote from: a3uge on January 27, 2016, 04:58:17 PMTickets through Valpo last year were $95, but again, those seats were pretty bad.

They were okay. I wouldn't call them good. At least they weren't in the deck above us.
I know what you mean.  I had to sit up in nosebleed for the night session, right behind two UD fans who insisted on standing up through half the game.  Fortunately, I could see the whole court in between their two bodies ;)

VULB#62

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 28, 2016, 01:51:27 PM
Jan 28:  USAToday  has Valpo as a #10 seed and playing #7 seed Duke in the East Region in NYC.

February 1:  USAToday now has Valpo as a #10 but playing #7 seed Michigan in the West Region in Spokane.  Our buddies, the Oregon Ducks, BTW, are given a #2 also in the West

oklahomamick

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology/_/iteration/216

ESPN's bracketology has us playing Indiana in Spokane.  Survive that and we get a rematch with Oregon.
CRUSADERS!!!

Kyle321n

Bracket Matrix has us as the first 12 seed. The team who is in the last line for 5 seeds... Baylor. If there's ever a season for this to happen, let it be this one!
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

StlVUFan

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 01, 2016, 01:11:23 PM
Bracket Matrix has us as the first 12 seed. The team who is in the last line for 5 seeds... Baylor. If there's ever a season for this to happen, let it be this one!
Cracks me up that one guy still has us as a 6 seed.

valpotx

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 30, 2016, 02:16:31 AM

I know what you mean.  I had to sit up in nosebleed for the night session, right behind two UD fans who insisted on standing up through half the game.  Fortunately, I could see the whole court in between their two bodies ;)

"D.....A.....Y.....T.....O....o o o o o.....N"

I hate Dayton, just because they play that stupid song over and over and over.  I had some obnoxious UD fans in front of me as well, who could not help but speak like Dayton is on another level from Valpo.  Basically, they were living in their glory years of the 70's/80's, and thought that it still applied.
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpotx on February 01, 2016, 01:56:32 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on January 30, 2016, 02:16:31 AM

"D.....A.....Y.....T.....O....o o o o o.....N"

I hate Dayton, just because they play that stupid song over and over and over.  I had some obnoxious UD fans in front of me as well, who could not help but speak like Dayton is on another level from Valpo.  Basically, they were living in their glory years of the 70's/80's, and thought that it still applied.
I had to sit through that at the First Four too ;)

I ran into a UD fan in the hallways during the first night game (Albany vs. someone) and he did say it was too bad Valpo lost.  I probably mentioned something about rooting for mid-majors, and he was sure to jump on that and expect that I was rooting for Dayton in the nightcap ;)

agibson

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 01, 2016, 12:48:45 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology/_/iteration/216

ESPN's bracketology has us playing Indiana in Spokane.  Survive that and we get a rematch with Oregon.

Down to the 11 line.  At-large wise, ahead of maybe only the 12-12 play-in game, but with four other at-larges on the 11 line, so hard to say.  On his S curve from Jan 30 we were unchanged at #41, ahead of Monmouth and ~6 at-large teams. So maybe it's a "high" 11.  Wouldn't be shocking if it depended on geography.

valpocleveland

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 01, 2016, 01:52:01 PM
Quote from: Kyle321n on February 01, 2016, 01:11:23 PM
Cracks me up that one guy still has us as a 6 seed.

Bracket Matrix needs updated, guy who had us as 6 is now down to 7. He has an excel of his rankings so you can see some of his thought process. Clearly puts emphasis on Kenpom.

Kyle321n

This isn't ESPN Bracketology, This is K.Y.L.E. Bracketology, get ready to be schooled Lunardi.

The image is clickable to embiggen it. ALL CAPS=Auto Qualifier.

If you're wondering about my bubble...
Last 4 in:
George Washington
California
William & Mary
Cincinnati

Last 4 out
Kansas St.
Butler
Vanderbilt
Princeton

AQ's who would be an at large
Villanova
Iowa
Oregon
West Virginia
North Carolina
Dayton
Wichita St.
Valparaiso
Monmouth
Arkansas Little Rock

valpotx

We are a 10 seed again in Lunardi's recent release, playing 7 seed South Carolina.  I would love that match-up, as nothing about SC on a jersey would intimidate our team.  It is only the big name schools that seem to cause our guys to wilt.  With SC, you get the thought of, 'they play basketball?' :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on February 08, 2016, 11:58:43 AM
We are a 10 seed again in Lunardi's recent release, playing 7 seed South Carolina.  I would love that match-up, as nothing about SC on a jersey would intimidate our team.  It is only the big name schools that seem to cause our guys to wilt.  With SC, you get the thought of, 'they play basketball?' :)

We're still unchanged at #41 on his S curve, so maybe bouncing around between a 10 and an 11.

historyman

I certainly have as much, if not more, faith in Kyle as I do Lunardi.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Kyle321n

Quote from: historyman on February 09, 2016, 01:47:28 AM
I certainly have as much, if not more, faith in Kyle as I do Lunardi.

I'm actually reworking my formula a little and right now I have us as a 6 seed in it's current iteration. I feel like I need to work on this some more because us as a 6 seed doesn't fit the eye test. We're there with USC, Kentucky and Connecticut. Again, not passing the eye test. I don't know, I might just stick to the original formula because it works alright.

agibson

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 09, 2016, 01:52:05 PMI feel like I need to work on this some more because us as a 6 seed doesn't fit the eye test. We're there with USC, Kentucky and Connecticut. Again, not passing the eye test.

That squares with KenPom, at least. Valpo 23*, Kentucky 21, USC 27, Connecticut 22. Depends on what you're aiming for, perhaps. Something that predicts results on a neutral court? Something that predicts what committees will decide? Something else?

*I admittedly worry about what's going to happen in the NCAA when we meet a really potent offense. Though KenPom claims Oakland 21, Milwaukee 37, Detroit 77.  Or maybe especially a really potent defense. KenPom claims Wright State 69, and I'll feel a little better if we can drop 80 points on them at the ARC, or at least beat them by 15.

VULB#62

Quote from: agibson on February 09, 2016, 09:27:18 PM
Quote from: Kyle321n on February 09, 2016, 01:52:05 PMI feel like I need to work on this some more because us as a 6 seed doesn't fit the eye test. We're there with USC, Kentucky and Connecticut. Again, not passing the eye test.

That squares with KenPom, at least. Valpo 23*, Kentucky 21, USC 27, Connecticut 22. Depends on what you're aiming for, perhaps. Something that predicts results on a neutral court? Something that predicts what committees will decide? Something else?

*I admittedly worry about what's going to happen in the NCAA when we meet a really potent offense. Though KenPom claims Oakland 21, Milwaukee 37, Detroit 77.  Or maybe especially a really potent defense. KenPom claims Wright State 69, and I'll feel a little better if we can drop 80 points on them at the ARC, or at least beat them by 15.

Which game so far have we  (1) clamped down the D to strangle the opponent (2) exploded on Offense and had our way with an opponent, and (3) did it against a quality team? We've done prices, but I don't think we've done that in one game quite yet ( I welcome contradictions, I really do) but we have that chance on a few occasions in the next couple  of weeks:  WRS, OU, UWM and UWGB. Yeah, UDM too.

Looking at what I just wrote, man, the last half of he season could jack us up pretty high in the rankings, bubbles, rips/schmarpis cuz these opponents are the iron. Of e league. Is that true?

VULB#62

VULB#62

VULB#62

VULB#62

Sorry iPad is screwing up.  Would love to have an admin kill the previous couple of repeats.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 09, 2016, 09:58:36 PMWhich game so far have we  (1) clamped down the D to strangle the opponent (2) exploded on Offense and had our way with an opponent, and (3) did it against a quality team?

Oakland.  Well below their season average, beat them by a bunch and zero people think they aren't our number 1 opponent for the title.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 09, 2016, 10:05:50 PM
Sorry iPad is screwing up.  Would love to have an admin kill the previous couple of repeats.

There should be a "REMOVE" button on the far right at the top of posts that you have created.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vusupporter

Quote from: historyman on February 09, 2016, 11:22:56 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on February 09, 2016, 10:05:50 PM

There should be a "REMOVE" button on the far right at the top of posts that you have created.

I wish sometimes I had the "REMOVE" button on posts that other people created.

valpocleveland

I am more worried about a good defensive team in the tournament than a good offensive one. Our D has shown up 95% of the time but our offense has been lethargic at times. Teams like Louisville concern me, well not anymore...