• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The Detroit Trip -- Games 15 and 16

Started by VULB#62, January 04, 2016, 10:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Quote from: agibson on January 08, 2016, 08:34:39 PM(Two games in a row? Needs some bed rest!)

So... they play UIC on Sunday.... does that count?

valpo4life

Keith was outstanding. There was no extra help provided for him to help stop a heck of a player in Felder. He did an amazing job of forcing tough shot after tough shot without fouling. Whether it was a step back jumper or funneling him slightly away from the rim and towards Vashil. Felder was clearly gassed/frustrated at the end, thanks to Keith. Can't say enough about that performance.

agibson

Quote from: valpo4life on January 08, 2016, 08:49:30 PMFelder was clearly gassed/frustrated at the end, thanks to Keith.

Apparently he couldn't even make it to the press conference.

[tweet]685649551613640704[/tweet]

agibson

Quote from: agibson on January 08, 2016, 08:38:30 PM
Quote from: valpotx on January 08, 2016, 08:36:20 PM
I understand what he is trying to do, but that had nothing to do with coaching.  Valpo is just a better team with more talented players.

Totally. I see my post could have been misread. I meant to say that his _presser_ sounded fever-addled. Not that his feverish coaching let his team down.

Though, he really does seem to mean it.

[tweet]685652200207560705[/tweet]

Credit Kampe with always being able and willing to explain himself, I guess.

justducky

Quote from: wh on January 08, 2016, 08:37:12 PM
Quote from: justducky on January 08, 2016, 02:55:07 PM
Quote from: wh on January 08, 2016, 01:19:59 PMHolding them in the 60's tonight will almost assure a victory. A game in the middle 70's or higher becomes far more iffy.
I am not predicting disaster but a game in the mid 70's or lower will surprise me and one in the 60's would almost be a shock!  As good as our defense is Oakland knows how to score the ball in a hurry.

I expect us to trail for much of this ballgame.

Do you have anything for yourself, ducky?

Wow! Since the Oregon game we have played maybe 50% zone and I was expecting to see some tonight. Even with EVN looking a little slow we played some great man defense. I want to watch this game again just to focus in on the defensive assignments.  :o

Yes I am shocked!

agibson

Quote from: hailcrusaders on January 08, 2016, 08:16:04 PMFelder was held to 4 free throw attempts, so 2 trips from the line (how many did he have last year?). When he gets to the line more, his missed FGs don't count statistically, there's your difference maker.

It really does make you wonder how much of a difference the refs made in this one. Probably they called it a bit differently, but they seemed to swallow the whistle compared to officiating this season, certainly in terms of fouls on the ball handler.  Kay failed to adjust?

But, was he also just not driving as much as usual? I was expecting more drive and kick. And maybe less "let me take twenty-eight shots, trying and failing to put the team on my shoulders, from the opening whistle".

Valpower

Quote from: agibson on January 08, 2016, 08:12:34 PM
Quote from: valpotx on January 08, 2016, 08:10:01 PMTalk about a grade-A @$$ kicking :) .  We owned them in all areas of the game, and made Felder look like a middle school chucker.  Great win, and fun to watch!
Tevonn career record for points. Kay Felder career record for field goal _attempts_.

Victories against teams like Oakland, who have so-called NBA-prospects, so-called potent offenses, and get unwarranted attention just float my boat. I'm sorry, but it's pretty easy to score when you shoot a lot shots, but nobody, and I mean NOBODY gives much credit to defensive abilities. This was a masterful performance by a superior team.

atkins

First half was a terrific effort by both teams.  Valpo really impressed me in the second.  I noted a few weeks ago that Tevon was co-MVP material.  Without him, we lose this game (even with Keith's amazing defense). 

IndyValpo

Wasn't watching Kampe stomp around and yell and scream fun to watch. Not a lot of coaching going on but hey he got his mug on tv. Obviously if Felder makes shots they can be good. If not he continues to fire up shots and Kampe is apparently unable to come up with something else.

atkins

By the way, ESPN's announcers were enamored by Felder the entire first half....Valpo received few compliments, and the announcers all but ignored the Oakland guys who were actually carrying the team in that half.  Typical ESPN team that focuses on the one star. 

wh

Quote from: IndyValpo on January 08, 2016, 09:14:30 PM
Wasn't watching Kampe stomp around and yell and scream fun to watch.

...and don't forget the time he looked like he was trying to pull his hair out. LOL

agibson

Quote from: atkins on January 08, 2016, 09:17:01 PM
By the way, ESPN's announcers were enamored by Felder the entire first half....Valpo received few compliments, and the announcers all but ignored the Oakland guys who were actually carrying the team in that half.  Typical ESPN team that focuses on the one star. 

It is a bit ridiculous the extent to which their commentary follows the ups and downs of the game.  Turned heavy to Valpo when we went up ten, and then back heavy on Oakland when they cut it to six, etc.

agibson

Quote from: wh on January 08, 2016, 09:25:15 PM
Quote from: IndyValpo on January 08, 2016, 09:14:30 PM
Wasn't watching Kampe stomp around and yell and scream fun to watch.

...and don't forget the time he looked like he was trying to pull his hair out. LOL

[tweet]685622716544737280[/tweet]

valpo64

While the ESPN guys were enamoured with Felder most of the game , they had many good things to say about our defense.  I think that is about as complete a defensive game we have seen this year.  Once the second half began, we dominated them.  It is rather obvious that OU is a one trick pony.  Our defense on Felder reminds me of our great work on K Sykes last year.

oklahomamick

Quote from: IndyValpo on January 08, 2016, 09:14:30 PMWasn't watching Kampe stomp around and yell and scream fun to watch. Not a lot of coaching going on but hey he got his mug on tv. Obviously if Felder makes shots they can be good. If not he continues to fire up shots and Kampe is apparently unable to come up with something else.

For the longest time they had a split screen on the game and Kampe. 
CRUSADERS!!!

justducky

Does this mean we can cockily strut over to Detroit and let Bass do to us what Felder couldn't?

Just thought I'd ask.  ::)

VULB#62

wh

Before I forget - kudos to Oakland fans and students for what on TV looked like a great atmosphere at the O'rena. The place looked packed, they had the white out thing going which looked cool, and it sounded like everyone was really into it. Great backdrop for an ESPN national TV game. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that Detroit students and fans got the message that they were also hosting a game on national TV.

agibson

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 08, 2016, 09:32:40 PM
Quote from: IndyValpo on January 08, 2016, 09:14:30 PMWasn't watching Kampe stomp around and yell and scream fun to watch. Not a lot of coaching going on but hey he got his mug on tv. Obviously if Felder makes shots they can be good. If not he continues to fire up shots and Kampe is apparently unable to come up with something else.

For the longest time they had a split screen on the game and Kampe. 

Epic fail.

The pre-game strobe light effect was also a bit much.

a3uge

My random thoughts!

* Kieth Syked Felder out like he did vs Green Bay in the Championship Game last year. He was able to blow by Felder a number of times.
* Valpo's depth is imperative to beat teams like Oakland that grind their starters into the ground. Nickerson, Darien, and Hammink did a great job defensively in relief to keep Carter fresh.
* Oakland's oak court looked hideous in HD.
* Typically the announcers fawn over Valpo most of the game - talk about how great Bryce is, Homer Drew, the Shot, etc, but instead we saw a constant dose of Kay, Kampe, Kay, Kampe, and more Kampe. The Kampecam may have been worse than the Ball state broadcast.
* That 5 minute review was stupid and gave Oakland a long break when they were gassed.
* Shane. Stop turning it over.
* Tevonn Walker is the best Walker in D1 basketball. Silky smooth shot and crazy athleticism. If NBA scouts were there to watch Felder, they had to have liked what Walker was doing out there (minus his floater at the end)
* Speaking of Felder - 20 points on 28 shots. That's hard to do. Wonder what the most fga by any team this year is.
* Huge letdown game potentially next. Still happy to get out of this road trip 1-1. Just got to go 1-1 in Wisconsin, and win all but 1 at home and we easily win conference.

VULB#62

Was it just me or were your guts more in a knot than any other game this season?

valpotx

Wait, Oakland is a one trick pony?  Say it ain't so?!?!  That only goes back to...my FR year.

Felder shouldn't have a problem with his team, as he really let his team down by taking the shots that he did.
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 08, 2016, 09:52:17 PMWas it just me or were your guts more in a knot than any other game this season?

I admit I was worried about this game.  More than Oregon, Oregon St. or Rhode Island. 
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 08, 2016, 09:52:17 PM
Was it just me or were your guts more in a knot than any other game this season?
When we were up 10+ I still had nervous butterflies!

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpo4life on January 08, 2016, 12:20:03 PM
Quote from: valporun on January 08, 2016, 12:06:09 PM
I thought 103-102 was an OT game in their home tournament?

Nope. Finished in regulation. Was almost a massive collapse after being up double digits with about 1:30 left. Quite the game to attend, however.
Indeed it was ;)