• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The Detroit Trip -- Games 15 and 16

Started by VULB#62, January 04, 2016, 10:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackpantheruwm

Quote from: justducky on January 08, 2016, 04:28:58 PM
Quote from: vu72 on January 08, 2016, 04:01:04 PMHow does Kampe matchup with a 6'8, 6'7, 6'10, 6'9 and 6'8???
With a smaller, quicker lineup that can beat us down the floor. Unfortunately our big lineup isn't our best 3 point shooting or ball handling unit.
Quote from: vu72 on January 08, 2016, 04:01:04 PMI'm going to guess that part of our stretegy tonight is to go big and force the outside shot.
I expect that we will try it, but I am less than certain of its success.

That's a terrible idea. Oakland's fast guards would shred the  :censored: out of Valpo's trees. On top of that, VU's post players would get tired far too quickly. There's a reason the "tallest team" idea hasn't been at Valpo since the 40's.

Big guys are the ones you want to keep fresh, not the ones you want to run the legs out of before the game is over. Having that lineup on the court for even 5 minutes will force Valpo to give up its size advantage for other points of the game.

I wouldn't want to have a point where Carter and the Walkers are on the bench all at the same time for longer than a minute or two. These are three of your top 5 minutes per game players.

Oakland's biggest advantage in this game is speed at the guards. You don't want to make that advantage a HUGE advantage.

Commissioner

You guys have a better offense than you're giving yourselves credit for. I think you can run with Oakland if need be, and definitely win a game in the 80s or 90s. It seems to me that the Crusaders emphasize defense because you can; Oakland emphasizes offense because it must.

VULB#62

OLD COACHING/MILITARY ADAGE:  Take away what your enemy does best; attack where they are weakest.

What does OU do best? ________fill in ___________

Where are they weakest? ________fill in ___________

agibson

Aaron reminds us on the pregame that the last ten matchups have all been decided by six points or less.

Is this the best Oakland team _and_ the best Valpo team to ever be involved in a Valpo - Oakland matchup?

VULB#62

Quote from: agibson on January 08, 2016, 05:49:33 PM
Is this the best Oakland team _and_ the best Valpo team to ever be involved in a Valpo - Oakland matchup?

The way we are talking about it, maybe it is.  10 minutes to tip off.

agibson

Coach Gore says Valpo's not going to try to slow it down, we'll play quick offense if it's there, just going to try to stop Oakland from scoring.

a3uge

I'm as high as anyone on Valpo, but I think they lose 80-72.

VULB#62

6:00 - Just poured my first glass of Cabernet.

a3uge

bbtds

agibson

Well, maybe that "won every game when Tevonn has scored 15" deal will work.

Interesting to see Peters trying a quick three, and then getting all his buckets in the paint. Some post moves.

Interesting to see K Felder shooting terribly, but Oakland still every bit in it.

Will be interesting to see what gives, or if it stays to form, close, and is just a narrow Valpo win.

Has K played every minute? I've not always been able to spot him. I've been surprised to see Kamped having some guys rebounding on Valpo FT's - only notice the lane empty once.

agibson

How is Valpo only up three? Same number of FT's. Valpo shooting better, outrebounding them.

Turnover margin?

hailcrusaders

Quote from: agibson on January 08, 2016, 06:55:21 PMWell, maybe that "won every game when Tevonn has scored 15" deal will work. Interesting to see Peters trying a quick three, and then getting all his buckets in the paint. Some post moves. Interesting to see K Felder shooting terribly, but Oakland still every bit in it. Will be interesting to see what gives, or if it stays to form, close, and is just a narrow Valpo win. Has K played every minute? I've not always been able to spot him. I've been surprised to see Kamped having some guys rebounding on Valpo FT's - only notice the lane empty once.

He sat briefly around the 12 minute mark. I think Kampe took him out during a stoppage at 12:03 and put him back in at the under-12 MTO.
#CrusadersForever

oklahomamick

Quote from: hailcrusaders on January 08, 2016, 06:59:13 PM
Quote from: agibson on January 08, 2016, 06:55:21 PMWell, maybe that "won every game when Tevonn has scored 15" deal will work. Interesting to see Peters trying a quick three, and then getting all his buckets in the paint. Some post moves. Interesting to see K Felder shooting terribly, but Oakland still every bit in it. Will be interesting to see what gives, or if it stays to form, close, and is just a narrow Valpo win. Has K played every minute? I've not always been able to spot him. I've been surprised to see Kamped having some guys rebounding on Valpo FT's - only notice the lane empty once.
He sat briefly around the 12 minute mark. I think Kampe took him out during a stoppage at 12:03 and put him back in at the under-12 MTO.

That is correct.  He played the entire 40 minutes against YSU.  I bet he leads the nation in minutes played.  I was very surprised Kampe rested him for 30 seconds.
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Doing a lot good things - except 9 TO's. If we do a better job of taking care of the ball and keep drawing fouls underneath, we should be in good shape. (Unless Felder goes crazy that is).  ;)

oklahomamick

start of second half. Oakland a field goal and 3 offensive rebounds.  Valpo with a turnover and timeout.  They game out with energy and attacking the rim. 
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

Quote from: agibson on January 08, 2016, 06:57:06 PMTurnover margin?

Early in the second they called the 11th Valpo turnover... A couple on post passes...

hailcrusaders

#CrusadersForever

agibson

Quote from: agibson on January 08, 2016, 06:55:21 PMWell, maybe that "won every game when Tevonn has scored 15" deal will work.

I think that three was just points 15-17.  Smooth sailing from here?

Alec's getting outside shots now too.  No threes? But two deep two's.  Still not much from Felder.  Keither shutting him down? (And Keith's first bucket too...)

Oh, and Valpo by 11 on the T. Walker three, of course.

agibson

Quote from: hailcrusaders on January 08, 2016, 07:18:25 PM
Tevonn Walker 4 MVP

That saved ball out of bound was *astounding*. Anybody remember a more athletic move from a VU player?

agibson

Love the intensity on Carter's face, really completely absorbed in this defensive assignment. Fighting through screens, doing work.

rink

My god, our unforced errors and sloppiness. Cheers to our fantastic defense, though!

10 point lead with 7+ minutes to go. Hope it holds up!

oklahomamick

Don't understand the 5 minute review on the dive????
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

Awesome look at a cleared lane for D. Walker, but last minute decided to try two-hand jam instead of one, missed it...