• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/22 - Wright State @ Nutter Center

Started by talksalot, January 18, 2016, 07:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Quote from: agibson on January 23, 2016, 12:01:18 AMAnd, man, somehow we gave up 34 points in those last twelve minutes!

I see now that my feed broke down just before Keith left, injured.  Not sure that explains their 34 points, exactly.  But, a significant development.

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on January 22, 2016, 09:20:58 PMIf we hadn't lost by 11 I would agree this wasn't a bad loss but we played horrible in the last 6 minutes and WSU played very good. I consider this a bad loss knowing the potential of this Valpo team. In years past I would have not considered this a bad loss. I don't see how you say we almost won when we lost by 11.

Clarification: in Selection Committee lingo, "bad loss" means any loss to a bad team.  Wright State is not a bad team.

However, that may not have been what was meant.  As you state it, I would have to agree.  I wasn't thinking of it that way.

StlVUFan

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 22, 2016, 10:26:57 PM
From the WSU board.

Valpo fans are melting down. High hopes of an at large bid just got thrown out the window with this loss to us tonight. If we would have made half our layups we would have buried this team. When we play at the Arc I hope we come up with the same results.
Hilarious they thought they would have been an at-large team. I hope we sweep them. Then beat them a third time in the HL Tourney. They are nothing special. Fernandez is a fish out of water at center.

Now i'm pissed.   >:(

Do what I do.  Take it as an inadvertent complement.

Aren't we still crowing every once in awhile about our 4 game winning streak against those scaredy-cats now in the Big East? ;)

StlVUFan

Quote from: HailVU2014 on January 22, 2016, 10:38:14 PMThat type of talk can and will get you in trouble and can only lead to a let down loss to a UIC, NKU, or YSU type of team... Tsk, Tsk. O well, the few WSU fans I interacted with tonight were nice but there's always one in the bunch I suppose once you get behind a computer...
Fans don't play the games, so that kind of talk is actually pretty harmless where the actual teams are involved.

If Donlon or Yoho or Benzinger were talking like that, I'd love it.  But I bet they aren't.

agibson

It's no consolation, but interesting that we were still +11 rebounding.  In a loss. With them out-shooting us.

HailVU2014

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 23, 2016, 12:28:30 AM
Quote from: HailVU2014 on January 22, 2016, 10:38:14 PMThat type of talk can and will get you in trouble and can only lead to a let down loss to a UIC, NKU, or YSU type of team... Tsk, Tsk. O well, the few WSU fans I interacted with tonight were nice but there's always one in the bunch I suppose once you get behind a computer...
Fans don't play the games, so that kind of talk is actually pretty harmless where the actual teams are involved.

If Donlon or Yoho or Benzinger were talking like that, I'd love it.  But I bet they aren't.
In Paul Oren's blog in the NWI Times, it is evident from his conversation with Billy Donlon that this kind of talk is not where the WSU team is right now. But then again, he only talked with the coach and not any of the players so... we shall see Feb 13?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

bbtds

Quote from: Pgmado on January 22, 2016, 10:22:43 PM
Where was Darien Walker? Billy Donlon speaks.

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/inside-vu-sports/breaking-down-valparaiso-vs-wright-state/article_77552c3a-c17e-11e5-9b30-e777a6dfa796.html

Once Keith Carter got hurt E. Victor Nickerson took over the point. Shane Hammink, who has done so well running the point over the last several games, was pulled after turning the ball over with 12:24 remaining and never returned.

Anyone who saw Nickerson play in this game knew this was a very bad decision. Nickerson was lucky to get fouled and make 4 free throws (he also missed the front end of a one-and-one). He hardly made any passes and tried to force the scoring. If he had gone to Peters or Fernandez instead of trying to do everything himself with a sore wrist the result at least would have been a whole lot closer.

valpo84

One of these coaches was fired this week after an embarrassing loss and a fan base upset about the loss.

Coach A

110-46. .705
Conference champ 2015
Leading conference before Games on Friday 2016
POY candidate on roster
1st head coaching job in league
Made ultimate tourney in 2015
Expected back in 2016

Coach B

97-46  .670
Conference champ 2015
POY candidate on roster
Expected back in 2016

Lesson--Overreaction can be a bad thing....
http://youtu.be/xAZU6DYwTDM
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

Valpo89

Quote from: bbtds on January 23, 2016, 09:13:39 AM
Quote from: Pgmado on January 22, 2016, 10:22:43 PM
Where was Darien Walker? Billy Donlon speaks.

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/inside-vu-sports/breaking-down-valparaiso-vs-wright-state/article_77552c3a-c17e-11e5-9b30-e777a6dfa796.html

Anyone who saw Nickerson play in this game knew this was a very bad decision. 

I refuse to understand why Nickerson is EVER on the court. I don't like pointing fingers, but it was a mistake to leave him in the game for the last 12 minutes or whatever it was. He should never handle the ball. He should only shoot layups. I don't get it.

valpo64

Chill out, guys!   It's 1 loss!  We have over half the conference schedule yet to play. We obviously played very poorly and maybe got out-coached...but it's 1 game.  It's over so now lets start another streak and get back to playing like we know we can play.  Who knows maybe we can run the table the rest of the way.  GO VALPO!

a3uge

Quote from: valpo84 on January 23, 2016, 09:21:31 AM
One of these coaches was fired this week after an embarrassing loss and a fan base upset about the loss.

Coach A

110-46. .705
Conference champ 2015
POY candidate on roster
Expected back in 2016

Coach B

97-46  .670
Conference champ 2015
POY candidate on roster
Expected back in 2016

Lesson--Overreaction can be a bad thing....
http://youtu.be/xAZU6DYwTDM
Which coach was it?

Edit:
Oh, duh, Cavs.

vu72

Quote from: HC on January 22, 2016, 11:30:35 PM
Losing on the road to a decent team happens to everybody. Hope Carter heals quickly. Nice to have a quick turn around.

Words of sanity. Look, when we played Oregon, Oregon State, Ion and Rhode Island we played teams that had only seen us on tape.  Wright State and other Horizon teams have seen us twice (or more) for years now. WSU is the only team that plays defense as well as they do.  Given the fact that they know us and play D, it was always going to be a tough games.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on January 23, 2016, 10:18:50 AM
Losing on the road to a decent team happens to everybody. Hope Carter heals quickly. Nice to have a quick turn around.

Words of sanity. Look, when we played Oregon, Oregon State, Ion and Rhode Island we played teams that had only seen us on tape.  Wright State and other Horizon teams have seen us twice (or more) for years now. WSU is the only team that plays defense as well as they do.  Given the fact that they know us and play D, it was always going to be a tough games.

It would have been a lot less tough of a game against WSU if Nickerson had not been the point the last 12 minutes. When it's not working you have to try your other options---Shane, Max, Lexus. I can't understand how Bryce failed to see this. It was a very bad move and very uncharacteristic of Bryce.

humbleopinion

The point guard situation is tough to understand.

E Vic has been playing with a bad wrist -- last week Homer said that there was a steel bar under the  wrapping that deadened the basketball if the ball hit it when he was dribbling.

E Vic and Keith are both seniors -- is it that big of a dropoff for Max or Lexus that they shouldn't get experience running the team?  They clearly not as long on defense, but I can't attribute all of our point guard difficulties last night to Wright State's -- there was something lacking on our end.
Beamin' Beacons

justducky

Quote from: bbtds on January 23, 2016, 10:39:25 AMIt would have been a lot less tough of a game against WSU if Nickerson had not been the point the last 12 minutes. When it's not working you have to try your other options---Shane, Max, Lexus.
It would be too painful to watch that second half again but without remembering anything special this seems like it could have been a doghouse related situation? Does anybody remember Shane swinging away on a bunt signal? He only played 11 minutes and many of those were as the 3. Ok this is purely baseless speculation.

When Carter went down last year I remember saying that we should sink or swim with EVN. Has Bryce arrived at that decision again or is there more to this story?

historyman

Quote from: bbtds on January 23, 2016, 10:39:25 AM
Quote from: vu72 on January 23, 2016, 10:18:50 AM

It would have been a lot less tough of a game against WSU if Nickerson had not been the point the last 12 minutes. When it's not working you have to try your other options---Shane, Max, Lexus. I can't understand how Bryce failed to see this. It was a very bad move and very uncharacteristic of Bryce.

I certainly understand the frustration of some of you due to Nickerson playing the last 12 minutes and not being effective against a tougher Raider defense. It's also true that  our season isn't over and we still have a great opportunity in the NCAA tournament.

OTOH, I would like Coach Drew to acknowledge it was a mistake that he played Nickerson so long and why he doesn't use Max or Lexus more often especially when the other options (Nickerson & Hammink) are not working.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

Any media is good media?

It was apparently #1 on Sports Center.

[tweet]690706662001414144[/tweet]

atkins

Well, having watched Oregon's first-half performance against UCLA today, I feel a bit better.  Oregon was terriffc, and UCLA is fortunate to be down by 10. 

Lots of similarities between Valpo and Oregon.  Defensive-minded, athletic, both teams tough to beat at home, etc. 

FWalum

Quote from: historyman on January 23, 2016, 12:01:59 PMOTOH, I would like Coach Drew to acknowledge it was a mistake that he played Nickerson so long and why he doesn't use Max or Lexus more often especially when the other options (Nickerson & Hammink) are not working
You have to be kidding, would never and should never happen.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on January 24, 2016, 10:51:17 PM
Quote from: historyman on January 23, 2016, 12:01:59 PMOTOH, I would like Coach Drew to acknowledge it was a mistake that he played Nickerson so long and why he doesn't use Max or Lexus more often especially when the other options (Nickerson & Hammink) are not working

Yet, it's exactly what Kampe sometimes does at his press conferences when he thinks he has made mistakes. I think it's just something Bryce feels he doesn't need to do. The fact that Nickerson didn't have a lot of significant minutes in the NoKy (sounds like the name of a cell phone) game speaks volumes. I hear what Bryce is saying like the volume was turned up on my NoKy phone.

a3uge

Quote from: bbtds on January 25, 2016, 04:36:11 AM
Quote from: FWalum on January 24, 2016, 10:51:17 PM

Yet, it's exactly what Kampe sometimes does at his press conferences when he thinks he has made mistakes. I think it's just something Bryce feels he doesn't need to do. The fact that Nickerson didn't have a lot of significant minutes in the NoKy (sounds like the name of a cell phone) game speaks volumes. I hear what Bryce is saying like the volume was turned up on my NoKy phone.
And Kampe's players have turned out to be emotional basket-cases who constantly underperform and yell at each other. There's a reason why you don't sell players out in front of the media.

valpo64

Please!  Let's not compare Bryce with "King Kampe"!!!  The "Mouth" does and says anything that will promote himself first.  Let's face it, Oakland should be called "Kampe's Kamp."  He is the only coach they have ever had.  He does and says whatever he wants to do and he knows no one will ever question him for it.  It is and always has been "me first and the team second." You can tell it in his players, his record, what he does at the School (as an example just look at that terrible looking  floor design).  In NO WAY should we compare Bryce to "King Kampe."  He has always said he wants to develop his Div. 1 program to be like Valpo's.  Well after all these years of saying it, he has not come even close to doing it in any aspect...and aren't we  glad!

valpotx

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 22, 2016, 10:26:57 PM
From the WSU board.

Valpo fans are melting down. High hopes of an at large bid just got thrown out the window with this loss to us tonight. If we would have made half our layups we would have buried this team. When we play at the Arc I hope we come up with the same results.
Hilarious they thought they would have been an at-large team. I hope we sweep them. Then beat them a third time in the HL Tourney. They are nothing special. Fernandez is a fish out of water at center.

Now i'm pissed.   >:(

This WSU fan is a moron.  We still had a great chance at an at-large before the loss, as described by many national talking heads.  WSU would not have buried us if they made layups, and the only reason it ended up at an 11 point loss is because of our fouling at the end.  The reason that they missed their layups is because Vashil's arms were in the way, redirecting shots as he always does, so it wasn't that they 'missed' them as much as they were DEFENDED WELL.  We will smoke them at home...
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpo64 on January 25, 2016, 10:04:48 AM
Please!  Let's not compare Bryce with "King Kampe"!!!  The "Mouth" does and says anything that will promote himself first.  Let's face it, Oakland should be called "Kampe's Kamp."  He is the only coach they have ever had.  He does and says whatever he wants to do and he knows no one will ever question him for it.  It is and always has been "me first and the team second." You can tell it in his players, his record, what he does at the School (as an example just look at that terrible looking  floor design).  In NO WAY should we compare Bryce to "King Kampe."  He has always said he wants to develop his Div. 1 program to be like Valpo's.  Well after all these years of saying it, he has not come even close to doing it in any aspect...and aren't we  glad!

Thank you 64 I am sick of the man worship we seem to have on this board for Kampe.  Hey maybe we can get Bryce to stomp around and pull his hair out too