• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Supporting the Team in Detroit/Joe Louis Arena

Started by HailVU2014, February 22, 2016, 03:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 05, 2016, 11:57:57 AM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 05, 2016, 08:13:16 AM
I actually don't have much of a problem with the tourney moving, but the suddenness and location to which it was moved does feel like a middle finger and/or response to our MVC flirtation. If HL came out last year and said they were moving the tournament to the new arena in Detroit when it opens, and would spend a couple of years building up media exposure and interest, it could be a success.  They lucked out this year by Oakland getting the two seed and (likely) making the championship game. If and combo of Valpo, WSU, and the Wisconsin schools were to be in the championship we'd be in Kemper Arena level emptiness.

I wholeheartedly agree with the suddenness point. And to a degree with the Detroit location.  It was like it was sprung on the the rest of the league and it happened less than a year after last year's final. Major moves like this should have a transition period that allows schools and fans to adjust. I am not stubbornly against a centrally located neutral site for the HLT, but to suddenly hang a 90 degree turn with out putting your turn signal on is not good form. So to me it is more about the flawed process -- which points to leadership (or lack thereof). Why didn't the league announce in advance it wanted to go to a neutral site - shouldn't all members first have a say in that decision?  Why weren't other arenas and locations solicited to compete for the rights?  Why was this done under the cover of darkness?  Was someone paid off? It's a done deal now but these are questions that have not really been answered other than the opportunity arose (out of nowhere) and we jumped at it -- like what other conference would have slid in before the HL?

I wonder if XYZ Entertainment (don't recall their name; doesn't matter) has an attendance-based "out" clause?  Something like "If attendance at any session is less than the average attendance of a Chicago State home game, the 5-year contract is immediately null and void and the Horizon League agrees to pay XYZ Entertainment $5 Million for fraudulently misrepresenting the interest level people have in attending a mid-major tournament in a remote, high crime location, and where preliminary games are played over the weekend when 90% of the population is sitting at home, and where semi's and finals are played on weekdays when 90% of the population are working and have children in school."

VULB#62

WH,  I'll bet that today will be the best attendance of the lot cuz you have 8 teams there on the day with their dozens of fans all in one place.  So maybe the 90% claus might not kick in.  Tomorrow and Monday there will only be 4 teams with their dozens (but a Detroit area team will be there for sure at least on Monday).

oklahomamick

I'm currently at the uwm vs. Nku @ joe Louis pondering where they are going to put the grizz cage.  Just watched CSu fans leave happy that season is finally behind them. 
Biggest complaints about the tournament move.
1.  It was done too quick
2.  There wasn't a bid or look from other vendors
3.  It's in Detroit. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 05, 2016, 02:12:24 PM
I'm currently at the uwm vs. Nku @ joe Louis pondering where they are going to put the grizz cage.  Just watched CSu fans leave happy that season is finally behind them. 
Biggest complaints about the tournament move.
1.  It was done too quick
2.  There wasn't a bid or look from other vendors
3.  It's in Detroit.

Glad you agree with me and Nativecheezehead

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 05, 2016, 11:57:57 AM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 05, 2016, 08:13:16 AM
I actually don't have much of a problem with the tourney moving, but the suddenness and location to which it was moved does feel like a middle finger and/or response to our MVC flirtation. If HL came out last year and said they were moving the tournament to the new arena in Detroit when it opens, and would spend a couple of years building up media exposure and interest, it could be a success.  They lucked out this year by Oakland getting the two seed and (likely) making the championship game. If and combo of Valpo, WSU, and the Wisconsin schools were to be in the championship we'd be in Kemper Arena level emptiness.

I wholeheartedly agree with the suddenness point. And to a degree with the Detroit location.  It was like it was sprung on the the rest of the league and it happened less than a year after last year's final. Major moves like this should have a transition period that allows schools and fans to adjust. I am not stubbornly against a centrally located neutral site for the HLT, but to suddenly hang a 90 degree turn with out putting your turn signal on is not good form. So to me it is more about the flawed process -- which points to leadership (or lack thereof). Why didn't the league announce in advance it wanted to go to a neutral site - shouldn't all members first have a say in that decision?  Why weren't other arenas and locations solicited to compete for the rights?  Why was this done under the cover of darkness?  Was someone paid off? It's a done deal now but these are questions that have not really been answered other than the opportunity arose (out of nowhere) and we jumped at it -- like what other conference would have slid in before the HL?

VUfan

Well now we have Cheese with the Wine!!!!  :)

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 05, 2016, 11:57:57 AMWhy didn't the league announce in advance it wanted to go to a neutral site - shouldn't all members first have a say in that decision?

Everybody got a vote, at least. Valpo and... I believe UIC... voted against it. The Wisconsin schools, perhaps a bit mysteriously, voted for it.

Valpower

Quote from: agibson on March 05, 2016, 05:37:03 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on March 05, 2016, 11:57:57 AMWhy didn't the league announce in advance it wanted to go to a neutral site - shouldn't all members first have a say in that decision?

Everybody got a vote, at least. Valpo and... I believe UIC... voted against it. The Wisconsin schools, perhaps a bit mysteriously, voted for it.
As I mentioned earlier, perhaps not so mysteriously for Green Bay.

HC

5247 attendance....anybody buying that? Bet that includes all session passes which they will no doubt count for each day

agibson

Quote from: HC on March 05, 2016, 08:23:13 PMBet that includes all session passes which they will no doubt count for each day

And some of that really _is_ paid attendance!

I wonder what all it includes. Actual people that entered the gate, including any giveaways (school groups?). Any media who requested credentials. All ten teams and staffs? All all-session passes sold. Maybe some on consignment, too, with schools, or alumni groups, or Ticketmaster? A few pep bands. Who knows?

The number seems moderate enough that it could be some kind of calculus as above, and not just strictly made up. 

Maybe 800 or so for the Wright State game?  Couple thousand for Detroit? Maybe more?

VULB#62

Quote from: agibson on March 05, 2016, 05:37:03 PM

Yeah, right.  My point was the flawed process which should have been as follows:  First question - Do  we as a league want to go to a neutral site -- Yes/No? Members vote. If no, STOP. If yes, second question - Where to hold it?  League office is instructed by its members to seek out bidders for the right to host.  Third question - Who wins the rights?  Select best package of those submitted. Members vote.

Instead, apparently without a process that the members were a part of, the membership was presented with a fait accompli where all the proper steps were replaced by a take it or leave it proposition to the members from the league office.

covufan

Quote from: HC on March 05, 2016, 08:23:13 PM
5247 attendance....anybody buying that? Bet that includes all session passes which they will no doubt count for each day

From the people that were there, was there any game with more than 1500?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oklahomamick

i think there were more than 1500 people there.  maybe 3k when Detroit was playing. 

I'm just not a fan of bball in the large arenas that aren't 90% filled. I don't care for the arenas that most of our universities in the HL have.  I like the arc, Orena, Hinkle and the gym type facilities in the A10.  I enjoy the facilities that make you feel that your on a campus.  A gym not an arena (made for a concert, or another sport).  cant beat a gym on campus almost filled to the top with screaming fans. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Watched the UNC /Duke game last night played at cozy crowded Cameron. Of all the venues in the HL only the ARC comes close to that incredible atmosphere. 

oklahomamick

Maybe 1,000 here watching Green Bay and uwm.  Green Bay did not bring band or cheerleaders
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

Pep band for sure (not sure about size), presumably cheerleaders.

historyman

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 04, 2016, 12:23:57 PMAlso tweeted Drew was political when topic of tourney away from Valpo came up: "it's hard probably to please all 10 teams." "It's something new"

If Bryce was political he would talk about Kampe's small hands.  ;)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo64

It is pretty amazing that today, throughout the morning, Detroit's big 50M watt radio station WJR will occasionally mention on their periodic sports reports that today Oakland will play Wright State in a Horizon League semi final game tonight at 9:30.  Not even 1 mention of Top-seeded VU playing in the first semi game tonight or mentioning the final will be played tomorrow night.  And we should be surprised that attendance is so bad?

NativeCheesehead

Currently sitting in The Joe.   Tip off in two min.  Don't care what any attendance figures say.  No more than 1,000 here.

VULB#62

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 08, 2016, 06:01:44 PM
Currently sitting in The Joe.   Tip off in two min.  Don't care what any attendance figures say.  No more than 1,000 here.

If the game gets boring please do an exact count from your seat.  Thanks  ;D

NativeCheesehead

VULB. You joke.  I'm trying.  Decent size groups of locals trickling in.  Lots of Lions jerseys and Tigers hats.  I'd say we're at about 1600 now. 

NativeCheesehead

Fans starting to file out.  I'll post general reactions later but one thought keeps going through my head:

You play your tournament at a neutral site BECAUSE you're a two bid league, not to BECOME a two bid league.

oklahomamick

word is that Detroit Mercy will be playing University of Michigan at the Joe next year. 
CRUSADERS!!!