• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/28 - Green Bay @ Resch Center - Final Regular Season game

Started by talksalot, February 27, 2016, 06:50:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

VULB#62

Its a win!

That's my 4th thing -- we won despite 1) playing bad and 2) being pushed to the limit in both games . 

usc4valpo

and the caped Crusaders win a thriller! Yeah baby, 2 challenging road wins against decent teams. These guys need this going into Motown.

govalpogo

That last play though...can you shoot an in-bounds pass?  Props to the team on shooting with confidence from behind the line when they needed it.   Shane was money with the game on the line.  If I were a GB fan, I'd not be particularly pleased with the officiating.  26-5...not about to complain about that.  Go Valpo Go!

VUOR63

Why did Bryce not put a tall guy on the in-bound pass?  I know Ole Miss had a player on the in bound pass and got beat but I would think you want to make the passer throw the ball over a guy rather than leaving his vision wide open.

valpotx

Good lord, we played like sh!t today.  Jubril was just dreadful on D and with his rebounding (or lack thereof), and E Victor looked like he is just learning the game of basketball.  I understand that he has overcome a lot of injuries, but why he is playing right now with how he is playing?  I would much rather see Lexus or Max running the point over him this season.  He was good for us last year, but his body has just let him down this season.  I really hope that Tevonn and Skara are able to play in the tourney, as we need them.  Even though Tevonn hasn't played well for the last 10+ games overall, he is key to what we do.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

;D   Alec monster 25pts /15rbs Double double  That's 48 points and 21 Rebounds for the weekend -- POW?

>:(  We got out rebounded 42- 43 (is this a first for the season????)

usc4valpo

Big win for Valpo, but alot of griping on this board for a 26-5 team. Too many negative waves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncbEucjsNFU

atkins

Yet another just-ok game, but it is a win.  I am now convinced that we peaked during our first semester road trip.  We are too inconsistent. Our play is definitely not on the rise.  Too much inconsistency. Too many missed easy shots, failed blockouts, etc. during the last few games.  We went over 6 minutes without a field goal in the final game of the reg season. With that sort of play, would we even be in the ballgame against the sort of tourney teams we will play in the NCAAs? Indiana would have torched us by 20+today. 

govalpogo

Watching the replay of Shane's shot, my favorite part is watching Todd, who is on the end of the scorer's table, jump up and pump his fists while obviously trying to remain somewhat contained for the broadcast.

VULB#62

Quote from: atkins on February 28, 2016, 04:06:58 PM
Yet another just-ok game, but it is a win.  I am now convinced that we peaked during our first semester road trip.  We are too inconsistent. Our play is definitely not on the rise, which does not bode well for us.  Too many guys with one-dimensional play.  Too many missed easy shots, failed blockouts, etc. during the last few games.  We are not expected to destroy our competition, but come on, we are playing teams that would essentially be cellar-dwellers in the Big Ten.  Frustrating.

Well, that does not include Alec.  He's taking the team on his shoulders right now.  48 points and 21 rebounds in two of the toughest back2back road games of the season.

atkins

Alec has been fine.  But as usual, he needs more consistent help.  He gets it from Carter, but who else is consistently playing at a high level? 

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on February 28, 2016, 03:59:58 PMGood lord, we played like sh!t today.  Jubril was just dreadful on D and with his rebounding (or lack thereof), and E Victor looked like he is just learning the game of basketball.
Quote from: atkins on February 28, 2016, 04:06:58 PMYet another just-ok game, but it is a win.  I am now convinced that we peaked during our first semester road trip.  We are too inconsistent. Our play is definitely not on the rise, which does not bode well for us.  Too many guys with one-dimensional play.  Too many missed easy shots, failed blockouts, etc. during the last few games.
??? Maybe I had the wrong game on and was watching a different team.   ???

nkvu

Team looked tired to me but they gutted out the win so hats off to them. Rest up, get everybody healthy and rev it up Monday.

hailcrusaders

Can anyone explain why we didn't see more of Vashil down the stretch? Jubril wasn't exactly playing his best game and Vashil's interior D and rebounding may have saved us a bucket or two.
#CrusadersForever

SanityLost17

I hope we see GB in the Semi-Finals.  Given their style of play, I think they will struggle playing 3 games in 3 days.

BTW, we did not deserve to win this game given the way we rebounded, but I thought we played really well otherwise.  Two games in a row where we showed we can hit clutch shots down the stretch.  Something we will need if we are fortunate enough to make the NCAA tournament.     

usc4valpo

Peters is showing why he is the best player in the Horizon League. Great players step up in these kind of situations.

talksalot

With Tevonn and Skara in the game... we do not get out-rebounded; we do not give up those second chance points

justducky

Quote from: talksalot on February 28, 2016, 04:34:16 PMWith Tevonn and Skara in the game... we do not get out-rebounded; we do not give up those second chance points
Very true but not because they are better at boxing out. They are better dribble penetration defenders which pushes the play further away from the basket thus avoiding those multiple-help 7 men under the basket chaos clogs in which nobody gets good defensive positioning. Green Bay attacks the glass best in full and half court penetration situations.

RedHawk

It looked to me like the guys went to the boards to rebound but didn't box anybody out.  If they looked first for the man to box out, then went to the ball, I think they would've done better.

Of course they dominated the glass all season, so they probably know what they're doing more than I do.

Nice win to finish the regular season.  On to Detroit!

a3uge

Man we have some of the most spoiled, entitled fans...

Chairback

While we didn't play well, it sends a message to all teams they have to play a perfect game to beat us.

I'm most frustrated with the Horizon League and screwing us out of hosting the tourney. This is the worst mistake you could have made by not rewarding your regular season champs. 

I want to play Oakland in the championship game.  Kampe's pregame comments on ESPN about jamming it down our throats and that their fast paced offense is better than the best defense is a joke.   

justducky

Quote from: Chairback on February 28, 2016, 05:30:44 PMI want to play Oakland in the championship game.
We are 2-0 vs Oakland and 0-2 vs Wright St so I want the Raiders. That would be an additional confidence building piece of revenge.

SanityLost17

Quote from: Chairback on February 28, 2016, 05:30:44 PM
While we didn't play well, it sends a message to all teams they have to play a perfect game to beat us.

I'm most frustrated with the Horizon League and screwing us out of hosting the tourney. This is the worst mistake you could have made by not rewarding your regular season champs. 

I want to play Oakland in the championship game.  Kampe's pregame comments on ESPN about jamming it down our throats and that their fast paced offense is better than the best defense is a joke.

The league needs Valpo vs. Oakland in the championship game.  Need the 2 best teams and the 2 best players on national TV.

VU75

Quote from: govalpogo on February 28, 2016, 03:59:08 PMThat last play though...can you shoot an in-bounds pass? [/quot

You must of never read Chip Hilton.  State University ran that play to win the National Championship.  Soapy Smith, the last guy off the bench, and the catcher on the baseball team, threw a bullet pass off the backboard.  Hilton set up with the defender fronting him,turned, screened him out, caught the ball off the board and laid it in.  And the crowd went wild. 

If Clair Bee was coaching Green Bay he would have had somebody in the paint who would have been in position to catch the ball off the backboard, which is a legal pass, and would have had two full seconds to score.

I probably read that book 50 years and I'm still waiting to see someone run that play.