• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Horizon League Tournament 2016 - First Round Games

Started by Kyle321n, February 29, 2016, 12:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Not so today. Down by 9 with 1:07 left in the first. They are shooting 25%.

At the half 25-31. UWM shooting 24%

hailcrusaders

Anyone have any preference of opponent for tomorrow? Both can play with us.
#CrusadersForever

justducky

Quote from: hailcrusaders on March 06, 2016, 01:00:28 PMAnyone have any preference of opponent for tomorrow? Both can play with us.
Green Bay but I have no logical explanation as to why. Both could beat us.

agibson

I think I'd prefer to play Green Bay. Some of it is Tiby. Some of it is the OT game, maybe. Some of it is hoping that RP40 will prove hard to execute three days in a row.

GB's RPI's a bit better, and their computer numbers not as good.

And, yes, a repeat of the recent tournament games against them at the ARC would be OK.

When I turned it on at the half, GB had a lead. Now they've been going back and forth with the lead. A string of threes each way for a while.

Both teams that could reasonably play in the CIT or some place.

a3uge

Sloppy game - think it might have something to do with both teams playing back to back.

VULB#62

agibson

Quote from: agibson on March 06, 2016, 01:19:06 PMI think I'd prefer to play Green Bay. Some of it is Tiby. Some of it is the OT game, maybe. Some of it is hoping that RP40 will prove hard to execute three days in a row.

Though, I'll confess, I'd somehow forgotten all about the rebounding at Green Bay. That was pretty painful to watch. But, we'll find a way to right the ship.

I enjoyed the Wright State games - a team that can defend a bit, and rebound. Somehow, the Green Bay game somewhat less so.

Hopefully a good one, with our guys rebounding tough and boxing out tough, for the win. Or, I'd settle for an easy win...

hailcrusaders

We will indeed get the champions from old Green Bay.
#CrusadersForever

agibson

This guy really is some other kind of basketball coach

[tweet]706594505219117057[/tweet]
[tweet]706618512165478400[/tweet]

oklahomamick

Kampe has a great sense of humor and can laugh at himself.  I got to meet and talk with him during the intermission. 
CRUSADERS!!!

bbtds

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 06, 2016, 06:06:21 PM
Kampe has a great sense of humor and can laugh at himself.  I got to meet and talk with him during the intermission. 

So he is not the monster that has a stroke almost every game that so many on here think he is?

And not the egotistical nightmare that many on here have painted him to be.

Amazing!

frontrowfan

Quote from: bbtds on March 06, 2016, 07:34:27 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on March 06, 2016, 06:06:21 PM

So he is not the monster that has a stroke almost every game that so many on here think he is?

And not the egotistical nightmare that many on here have painted him to be.

Amazing!
. I'm sorry but I have to like Kampe, his humor and passion on the floor make for an exciting game.  I also appreciate how kind and generous he is with students. I won't forget the MidCon tournament where Kampe sat with the Valpo student section after Oakland got knocked out

frontrowfan

Quote from: a3uge on March 06, 2016, 07:46:41 PM
http://thecatchandshoot.com/watch-donlon-criticizes-horizon-league-media-following-tournament-win/

Can't wait for the Horizon to get rid of the double byes as well. 15 seed or bust!
watched the video clip of Donlon's rant a couple of times now just to process it all.  While I think he has at least two legitimate gripes,  he did make a back handed stab at Valpo that I didn't appreciate.  I'm just gonna put this out there tho....Paris Bass first team???? He has mad skills but only played 22 regular season games due to suspensions, has not started several games due to disciplinary reasons etc.  No wonder Donlon questions why JT Yoho wasn't a first or second team selection.

Valpo89

It's nice to hear a coach speak his mind and not be so "by the book."

wh

I'm ok with Donlon complaining about the all-conference selections.  It is a SUBJECTIVE process, and it does appear that his guys were shortchanged.  I'm not ok with his whining about the tournament format.  For better or worse, like it or not, the double-bye format is an OBJECTIVE process that has been in place for the past 13 or 14 seasons.  Every team operates by the same set of rules and has exactly the same opportunity to earn one of the top 2 seeds.  The fact that they didn't earn one of the top two seeds is totally on them.  Yeah, it's impressive that they were the only team in the league to beat Valpo, and did it twice no less, but tournament seeding is based on your entire body of work in conference play, not 2 games. 

Of course, Donlon knows this as well as any of us.  So why was he up there displaying that pouty lower lip and acting like a petulant child crying "no fair, no fair?"  No doubt he is lobbying for a format change for next season.  I think most people would agree that he is one of the top X&O's coaches in the league.  At the same time, he is nowhere near the recruiter that Drew and Kampe are, or for that matter nowhere near the recruiter Brad Brownell was.  We know it; he knows it.  So, instead he's lobbying to do anything he can to minimize the importance of an 18-game regular season and the benefits it provides to the top teams.  I'm sure if he had his druthers, tournament match-ups would be drawn out of a hat.  The bottom line is that Billy Donlon is nothing more than a sore loser that should be ignored. If I were his AD, I would call him in the office first chance I get and tell him that my coaches don't whine about the process in front of cameras and microphones.  They out work, out coach and out recruit the competition and earn their way to the top. And they represent Wright State University with class and dignity along the way.  Discussion over. 

bbtds

Quote from: wh on March 06, 2016, 09:33:49 PMtell him that my coaches don't whine about the process in front of cameras and microphones.  They out work, out coach and out recruit the competition and earn their way to the top. And they represent Wright State University with class and dignity along the way.  Discussion over. 

I picture Tom Hanks as Forrest Gump saying "Coach Donlon, life is like a box of chocolates........."

SanityLost17

Only thing I can think of that would both make Donlon happy and not hurt the HL would be to not let the 10 seed into the tournament and give the 3 seed a single bye.  An argument could be made for not letting the 10 seed in, could it not?

a3uge

Quote from: SanityLost17 on March 06, 2016, 10:13:27 PM
Only thing I can think of that would both make Donlon happy and not hurt the HL would be to not let the 10 seed into the tournament and give the 3 seed a single bye.  An argument could be made for not letting the 10 seed in, could it not?
It may have prevented UIC from murdering everyone's RPI even further.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

oklahomamick

Donlon will most likely get his wish.  UDM's athletic director announced at a luncheon a couple months ago that the format will change and there will be no double bye. 

Hopefully the coaches will get to vote on different OPTIONS rather than one as in the case for the move. 
CRUSADERS!!!

NativeCheesehead

I don't think the double bye is the problem or all that he was complaining about. The back to back to back seems to be the main issue. But as far as changing the format for this tournament once again, I repeat myself from an earlier thread: Get. Out. Of. This. Conference. (Yes, I realize it's easier said, and with the retention/new contract of a women's basketball coach who is 32-90 heading into the tourney, i'm beginning to think we should worry more about our local leadership than that in the conference office, but I promised myself I would save that rant for after the season.)

SanityLost17

This will be the format next year.   You can take that to the bank!  They are emulating the MVC every step of the way. 
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/tournaments/conference/MVC/mvc-tournament-bracket

VULB#62

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 07, 2016, 10:30:16 AM
Donlon will most likely get his wish.  UDM's athletic director announced at a luncheon a couple months ago that the format will change and there will be no double bye. 

Hopefully the coaches will get to vote on different OPTIONS rather than one as in the case for the move.

Might they go to the same format that the 10 team WCC uses?  SAME AS MVC except for the off day

OPENING ROUND (Friday)
Game 1 - #8 v. #9
Game 2 - #7 v. #10
[note:  I would have Game 1 be 9 v. 10 and Game 2 be 7 v. 8 to give the #1 seed a better reward for winning the regular season]

QTR FINALS (Saturday)
Game 3 - #3 v. #6
Game 6 - Game 2 winner v. #2
Game 5 - Game 1 winner v. #1
Game 4 - #4 v. #5

Sunday Off

SEMI FiINALS (Monday)
Game 8 - Game 3 winner v. Game 6 winner
Game 7 - Game 5 winner v. Game 6 winner

FINAL (Tuesday)

Kyle321n

Quote from: SanityLost17 on March 07, 2016, 12:07:37 PM
This will be the format next year.   You can take that to the bank!  They are emulating the MVC every step of the way. 
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/tournaments/conference/MVC/mvc-tournament-bracket

When do we get 4 private schools, 4 schools in the top 20 academics according to US News, and regularly getting more than 1 NCAA bid?
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

VULB#62