• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Pictures From the Final

Started by NativeCheesehead, March 09, 2016, 05:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NativeCheesehead

Just thought I'd share these so we can put the 4,000 plus rumor to bed. Actually enjoyed the event overall. It felt big time. But i wandered around the building most of the second half talking to various people who didn't seem to be there supporting a particular team. A few curious Detroiters, several who received free tickets due to working with some of the arena vendors. General thoughts from them were that there's just too many pro sports team, not too mention Michigan and MSU, for the hometowners to give much of a crap.

First panoramic shot was taken a few min before tip. Second panoramic was taken early in halftime. Other shots taken during second half timeout.

http://imgur.com/a/EXni0

vu72

Thanks for posting.  I got the same impression from TV as they had a hard time find more then a few rows occupied.  Glad you had a good time.  Perhaps I'll venture up next year.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Excellent observation on the pro sports and MSU/UM influence (both within 50 miles).  Both of these points never surfaced in our assessments of the location.  So little David (HL) ventures in to the land of the Goliaths and expects to wow the world.  Didn't happen and probably won't.  This goes back to what I was saying about the PROCESS.  LeCrone and his LeCronies jumped at the first thing to come along.  A proper procurement process and vetting might have pointed out that the competition for fan attendance would be too great.  Rather, another venue, perhaps more centrally located, where the competion for attendance was not so great, might have won out over the JLA.  And ya know, it might have come down to Indianapolis (is there a 6-8,000 seat public arena there?).

I hate to keep bringing up the WCC, but they selected the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas for their tournament.  No Nevada schools involved. No Pro sports to compete with.  Cool destination! With the exception of UNLV, no big-time college BB programs (actually since Tarkanian left they aren't big time).  9,500 seats.  There is a smart conference for you.

historyman

My relatives and myself are already making plans to attend the HL tournament in Detroit next year.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Better hurry or all the good seats will be gone.  :lol:

bbtds

Quote from: bsmith21 on March 10, 2016, 12:05:03 PM
indiana farmers coliseum could've worked holds 7,000-8,000 is at the fairgrounds in Indianapolis is used for minor league hockey, high school basketball, concerts and the IUPUI jaguars might play a few games there

IUPUI plays all of their home games at the Indiana Farmers Coliseum (formerly Pepsi Coliseum, before it was remodeled) at the Indiana State Fairgrounds. The Indiana Ice (in the same league as the Green Bay Gamblers, who play in the Resch Center) also play in that coliseum.

VULB#62

Although it's a pretty old building, it is pretty decent from a spectator POV and has all chair back seating (the lower ring seems to be plusher than the top ring). The floor length is greater than needed for basketball because of hockey, but if we could squeeze the two ends in a little and then uproot it and teleport it to the Porter Hospital property, it would make a great arena for us. I like the fact that it has a lot of upper story windows that make it bright and airy looking during the day.

https://www.google.com/search?q=images+of+indiana+farmers+coliseum&biw=1374&bih=996&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH3bjl1rvLAhUsnoMKHRtbCR8QsAQIGw