• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bryce opens up

Started by wh, March 09, 2016, 05:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Odds appear slim for Valparaiso to earn an at-large berth
Paul Oren Times Correspondent Updated 5 hrs ago 

DETROIT | And now their watch begins.

The Valparaiso men's basketball team began six days of uncertainty when they returned to campus early Tuesday morning following Monday's 99-92 overtime loss to Green Bay in the Horizon League semifinals.

The loss severely cripples any hopes the Crusaders have of getting in the NCAA tournament despite a number of factors that fifth-year coach Bryce Drew and his staff plan to share with the tournament committee before Sunday's selection show.

The majority of national pundits, including Schererville native Jerry Palm (CBS Sports), have the Crusaders falling just short of the Field of 68.

"This is the best team since I've been head coach here," Drew said. "I feel like we can make a run in the tourney."

Drew's biggest case for a potential at-large berth comes from the fact that the Crusaders have been a dominant team when they've been healthy. Valparaiso played Monday's semifinal game against Green Bay without sophomore star Tevonn Walker (ankle) and his presence was sorely missed.

With Walker expected to be healthy for the postseason, Drew will lobby the committee that the Crusaders are 11-1 this season when they have their full complement of players. Of Valparaiso's six losses, five have come when it was missing Walker, Keith Carter, David Skara or E. Victor Nickerson. The team confirmed Tuesday night that Walker would be fully available for whatever postseason tournament the Crusaders play in.

"The unfortunate thing is at our level with the mid-majors, for 60 days you win a league and you have one bad day with one of your best players injured, other team has the game of their life and you can't get the automatic bid," Drew said. "In the big scheme of things it just doesn't make a lot of sense."

Whether the Crusaders hear their named called for the Big Dance — likely the First Four in Dayton — or Valparaiso hosts a game in the National Invitational Tournament, the players will be eager to return to the court and wipe the sting away from Monday's loss.

"Right now it's going to hurt for a while," Valparaiso star Alec Peters said. "Our fate's not in our hands anymore. Whatever gets decided we have to live with. Until we get back to start practicing we need to let this hurt a little bit, let this motivate us because we're better than what we showed (against Green Bay). We're a team that wherever we end up, I feel like we can make a deep postseason run."

VULB#62

Very good points made by Bryce, but geez, how do you lobby our position?  Do you send an email to who?  Do you put together a PowerPoint?  Do you stand outside the office where the decisions are made and hold a sign?

talksalot

So, I drove back from Detroit this morning... Listening to College Sports on XMRadio... 8am Central... a great interview with Bryce... really supportive announcers... and Bryce was selling the same story... with one interesting suggestion:  How about putting Valpo and Monmouth into the Dayton Play-in games... each of us against a mid-level Power5 school and let us prove we should be in.

I believe I could make it to Dayton on Tuesday.

valpolaw

I'd like to know how that works too if anyone knows.  I've never heard of lobbying the committee.

vu72

I know that back in the day when Valpo first won the mid-con and the conference didn't have an automatic bid, that Homer flew to New York to lobby for at least a NIT bid--to no avail...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 09, 2016, 06:07:27 PM
Very good points made by Bryce, but geez, how do you lobby our position?  Do you send an email to who?  Do you put together a PowerPoint?  Do you stand outside the office where the decisions are made and hold a sign?
He is already starting to lobby. Getting interviews, print and tv, being available for other networks to get sound bites, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usc4valpo

that's not bad, but getting in is not like getting the top vote in American Idol.

oklahomamick

I wish Bryce would be as aggressive and outspoken about wanting to join the MVC as he is in promoting the team into the NCAA's.
CRUSADERS!!!

historyman

I wish he lobbied the Valpo board for newer facilities with the caveat that without them Bryce, himself, might find another place to coach where he could earn more money for God's work on earth.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

But he is on the receiving end of a refurbished locker room (and something else that I forget) and has a $2 million recruiting endowment. Why would he want to push the B of D to upgrade the ARC?  [snark] <-- Just to make sure everyone gets my point.

StlVUFan

Quote from: talksalot on March 09, 2016, 06:34:50 PM
So, I drove back from Detroit this morning... Listening to College Sports on XMRadio... 8am Central... a great interview with Bryce... really supportive announcers... and Bryce was selling the same story... with one interesting suggestion:  How about putting Valpo and Monmouth into the Dayton Play-in games... each of us against a mid-level Power5 school and let us prove we should be in.

I believe I could make it to Dayton on Tuesday.
I would love that.  I'd already have my ticket ;)

By the way, I would bet good money that any at-large we do get would plant us in the First Four.  It certainly makes the most sense (assuming at-large is even in our future, which is itself doubtful).

VUOR63

I sent an email to Bernard Muir, the Stanford AD and member of the selection committee.  Probably didn't get it but, hey, I tried!

a3uge

It could be worse - check out the UWM board: http://uwmfreak.proboards.com/thread/7024/akeem-blowing-twitter?page=1

They're having a meltdown over a CTI bid.

wh

After what the players were forced to endure last year when the program was banned from post season play, it's amazing that their AD will not allow them to play in the CBI. If you look at her Facebook page, it's apparent that she prefers women's basketball.

VULB#62

Quote from: talksalot on March 11, 2016, 08:50:47 AM
Ball State just accepted the CIT bid

http://www.ballstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=62158&SPID=6786&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210790776&DB_OEM_ID=14200

Perhaps the UWM folks can use this from that article as justification and change the decision:

Ball State will be making its first postseason appearance since 2002 and its 12th overall at the Division I level. The Cardinals have previously played in the NCAA Tournament seven times and the National Invitation Tournament (NIT) four times.

"We are excited to play in a postseason tournament," Ball State coach James Whitford said. "Our guys are hungry to keep playing, and it's a great opportunity to compete with some really good college basketball teams. On top of that, it gives our seniors the chance to go out on a positive note, and it gives our younger players some invaluable experience that will benefit us in the future."

oklahomamick

I understand its not a direct reflection of the uwm fan base, but this is another example of how our conference foes are not dedicated or serious to the top sport, mens basketball.
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 11, 2016, 09:48:41 AM
I understand its not a direct reflection of the uwm fan base, but this is another example of how our conference foes are not dedicated or serious to the top sport, mens basketball.

Quote from: wh on March 11, 2016, 07:44:33 AM
After what the players were forced to endure last year when the program was banned from post season play, it's amazing that their AD will not allow them to play in the CBI. If you look at her Facebook page, it's apparent that she prefers women's basketball.
I think Jeter might be gone. He's in his last year of his contract, so they may be moving on.

It's amazing how UW-Milwaukee had a premier mid major program 10 years ago, and now are squabbling about the CBI. For a senior laden team with ncaa tournament experience, they really should have been better than 11-9 in a really weak conference. They are 178 RPI - basically in the middle of D1. It's been over 10 years since they finished with single digit losses, or finished inside the top 100 RPI. Accepting a CBI bid sort of rewards their mediocrity.

talksalot

Army and Tennessee State have accepted CIT bids

talksalot

talksalot

Coastal Carolina accepts bid to CIT

Furman accepts bid to CIT (with a home game)

SIU turns down all post-season bids

Interesting look at all of the post-season tournaments... NIT, CIT, CBI, CIA...

http://www.reviewjournal.com/ron-kantowski/vegas-16-basketball-tournament-needs-few-good-teams