• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 35 St. Mary's @ the ARC, Tuesday, March 22; time 6PM CST

Started by Kyle321n, March 18, 2016, 09:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on March 18, 2016, 03:24:03 PMJust checked, 7 seats left on the reserved bleacher side, zero in the chairbacks. CC pretty boked to NN (12 rows up) 

And their "best available" algorithm has shifted to DD and BB, with the bottom 50-60 seats (~3 rows; not counting the first three rows which they hold... until late?... because of views obstructed by people on the track) of each of those sections sold.

If they released anything at 5 PM they didn't do it online. Bottom bowl sold out 100%. Maybe it's still coming.

agibson

They've released them electronically now. A hundred or so are available downstairs.

oklahomamick

Whoever our opponent is, this game will be aired on ESPN.
CRUSADERS!!!

valpo64

As far as the starting time of the game on Tuesday, what are the determining factors or options?

vu72

Quote from: valpo64 on March 19, 2016, 11:43:43 AM
As far as the starting time of the game on Tuesday, what are the determining factors or options?
[/b]

I doubt there are any.  It is set by ESPN.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Obviously the time has not been set yet but since BYU beat Virginia Tech, ESPN will most likely give Valpo vs St Marys/Georgia the earlier time slot, 6:00 p.m., so that they can give BYU, in the Mountain time zone, the later time slot.

vusupporter

The time has already been announced on social media and updated on the athletics website and ticket site as 6 p.m.

agibson

Quote from: agibson on March 18, 2016, 06:49:16 PM
They've released them electronically now. A hundred or so are available downstairs.

Down to singles in the lower bowl. Much of CC is sold upstairs, and hundreds between BB and DD. AA is mostly untouched. EE had sold maybe a couple of dozen, but is somehow now closed. Not sure if they want to reserve some for walk-up sales, or have overflow student section in mind, or what. Last game they reserved a block (not all) of EE and it probably became the biggest block of tickets to sell to the Lutheran middle school set.

agibson

I figured us for 4 or 5 point favorites over St. Mary's at the ARC. Maybe 8 over GA. From the same kind of naive, simple KenPom analysis I'd guess GA dogs by maybe 7.5 at St. Mary's. Turns out the Vegas lines opened at 6.5 and 7.

I wonder if a little Valpo March name recognition could swing more bets our way and push the line -higher- at the ARC? Or if people would be swayed by St. Mary's sometime national ranking this season or the SEC name brand (how much of a brand -is- that in basketball?).

wh

I would rather play Georgia than St. Mary's for the simple fact that they are a Major and St. Mary's is a Mid. Then, hopefully we beat 2 more Power-5 teams in NYC. After finally ending our seemingly century long losing streak against the bigs with a victory over OSU, we have a once in a lifetime opportunity to go 5-1 in the same season against 6 good Power-5 teams and put to rest forever our "scared rabbit," "dear in the headlights" reputation against big time programs. That, and the fact that beating another mid doesn't earn any respect from the Major crowd. My IU/Purdue buds think they would go 30-0 with a mid major schedule.

justducky

Quote from: wh on March 19, 2016, 09:56:30 PMI would rather play Georgia than St. Mary's for the simple fact that they are a Major and St. Mary's is a Mid. Then, hopefully we beat 2 more Power-5 teams in NYC. After finally ending our seemingly century long losing streak against the bigs with a victory over OSU, we have a once in a lifetime opportunity to go 5-1 in the same season against 6 good Power-5 teams and put to rest forever our "scared rabbit," "dear in the headlights" reputation against big time programs.
If we get to MSG we will meet the Creighton-BYU winner so no Power-5 remaining there. I watched much of the BYU-Va Tech game and another great crowd and hard fought battle. If there is any difference in the NIT desire and intensity vs the NCAA I haven't been able to see it.

Georgia or St Mary's makes no difference to me. Pick your poison! Either way I can't make the game.  :'(  :'(  How did I get talked into this civic duty, public responsibility bull?  :'(  :'(  I was always better at creating problems for the public and now people expect me to help resolve them.  :'(   :'(  Maybe the best team to come to the ARC since the 10-11 Butler squad and I have a previous engagement.  :'(  :'(

wh

Quote from: justducky on March 19, 2016, 10:23:45 PM
Quote from: wh on March 19, 2016, 09:56:30 PMI would rather play Georgia than St. Mary's for the simple fact that they are a Major and St. Mary's is a Mid. Then, hopefully we beat 2 more Power-5 teams in NYC. After finally ending our seemingly century long losing streak against the bigs with a victory over OSU, we have a once in a lifetime opportunity to go 5-1 in the same season against 6 good Power-5 teams and put to rest forever our "scared rabbit," "dear in the headlights" reputation against big time programs.
If we get to MSG we will meet the Creighton-BYU winner so no Power-5 remaining there. I watched much of the BYU-Va Tech game and another great crowd and hard fought battle. If there is any difference in the NIT desire and intensity vs the NCAA I haven't been able to see it.

Georgia or St Mary's makes no difference to me. Pick your poison! Either way I can't make the game.  :'(  :'(  How did I get talked into this civic duty, public responsibility bull?  :'(  :'(  I was always better at creating problems for the public and now people expect me to help resolve them.  :'(   :'(  Maybe the best team to come to the ARC since the 10-11 Butler squad and I have a previous engagement.  :'(  :'(

Ok, now you made me get serious for a moment. I have great respect for those who are willing to give of their time and talents to serve their community, church, or whatever and keep their commitments, even when there are other things they would rather be doing.
Congrats and thank you for your service!

I have a feeling that we have a lot of people on this board that are cut from the same cloth. It would be fun to know more about each other, but I guess that runs against the grain of an anonymous message board. :)

bbtds

Quote from: wh on March 19, 2016, 09:56:30 PMMy IU/Purdue buds think they would go 30-0 with a mid major schedule.

I think the only response to the Purdue fans is simply------what about Little Rock???

wh

St. Mary's Georgia

The game is scheduled for a 4:30 p.m. (Pacific Time) tipoff in McKeon Pavilion and will be televised live by ESPNU with Roxy Bernstein and Corey Williams calling the action.

agibson

We'd likely be bigger favorites against GA. But, we've had some trouble with teams that can defend and rebound....

I'd hate to cheer -against- the mid in today's game, but it would certainlyy be fun to have a crack against an SEC team at the ARC.

grad66

Look's like St Mary's on Tuesday. They're up 12 with under 2 minutes left.......

justducky

I said over a month ago that I would rather play Gonzaga than St. Mary's. Despite Gonzaga pounding #9 Utah by 23 points, I still hold that opinion.

Vashil will have to defend out to the arc making him less effective on defense. I look for Jubril to play large minutes even if we jump off to a good lead. The Gaels can pass and shoot and cut and exploit you when you get into rotation.

Tevonn will need to be ready to go. This will take our A game.

agibson

Looks like it'll be St. Mary's.

They looked good tonight. Moved the ball very well, earned wide open threes and hit them. Rather balanced scoring. I wasn't watching that carefully, but the announcers claimed 4's and 5's were hitting threes (we have Jubril). Extremely efficient offense.

Good inside passing too. Drive and dish, sometimes dish out, sometimes to another player for a lay-in. Some backdoor type cuts on inbounds plays.

St. Mary's even out rebounded GA. Did get some offensive boards, but it was probably more about STM shooting a high percentage and GA low.

Pretty quick game, real world time - not so many fouls maybe?  decent looking crowd in a small gym - walls behind the backboards on both sides (with balcony seating above one). Spring break just started, so no students, no cheerleaders, no chants, no pep band.

We got the better opponent, for better or worse.

Valpo's probably going to need a B+, A- type game.

Hopefully the travel's not easy on St. Mary's. And, they're not so used to playing on the road non-conf.

VUfan

Valpo's D Against St Mary's O
A challenge, good game to watch I will enjoy  :)

nkvu

St. Mary's reminds me a bit of Wright State in that they are disciplined on both offense and defence. Bigger up front maybe not as athletic but maybe better at sharing the ball and hitting the open shot. Their point guard is sneaky good and makes good decisions when to go to the rack and when to dish. We will have to get out and really defend the three.

This will be a challenge.  I hope the travel, playing at our place before a big crowd, and an "A" game from Valpo will give us the margin we need to win.

govalpogo

Looking over the St. Mary's Schedule...have they left their time zone for a game this year?  As I read it, @ Cal and then conference away games (Not sure if they had a neutral site tourney and too lazy to look it up).  Hoping that a relatively large trip and short turnaround will help us.  Interesting story line with popular "snub" teams.  Go Valpo Go!

HC

They screen and pass it well. Valpo's ability to switch nearly any screen should help neutralize all the chasing that Georgia was having to do.

Valpo by a nickle. 71-66

ValpoHoops

Quote from: govalpogo on March 20, 2016, 09:04:10 PMLooking over the St. Mary's Schedule...have they left their time zone for a g

They played at BYU in conference. Provo is in the Mountain Time Zone. That is their only game outside of Pacific Time.

Prior to the WCC Tournament (three games in Las Vegas), they had played just three games outside the state of California this season. All were conference games - at Gonzaga, at BYU and at Portland.

vu72

St. Mary's looked very good against a Georgia team that looked very out of it/disinterested.  They are an Australian all-star team so will be very disciplined and will play with great fundamentals.  They are also big but thin.  They beat Georgia by 12 but only beat New Mexico State by 2.  Should be an exciting game in front of a packed crowd.  Did anybody who complains about the ARC take a look at St. Mary's gym? Wow!  Probably 30 high school gyms in Indiana that are bigger and nicer.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

nkvu

Quote from: vu72 on March 20, 2016, 09:44:12 PM
St. Mary's looked very good against a Georgia team that looked very out of it/disinterested.  They are an Australian all-star team so will be very disciplined and will play with great fundamentals.  They are also big but thin.  They beat Georgia by 12 but only beat New Mexico State by 2.  Should be an exciting game in front of a packed crowd.  Did anybody who complains about the ARC take a look at St. Mary's gym? Wow!  Probably 30 high school gyms in Indiana that are bigger and nicer.

North Side a Jr High School Gym in Elkhart Indiana (my home town) is way more impressive. Seats over 7,000. And it's a town of around 40,000.  Yes it was the main gym when there was only one high school when I was there but I've got to tell you Valpo's facilities were a real downer to me when I arrived on campus in the fall of 69'.