• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

vu72

Quote from: AB on July 09, 2021, 09:54:22 PMDo we have a Keith Carter type to organize our offense when we have to play half court grind it out in the 50's? Sackey wasn't it, Gordon is a 2.

There is just one reason why Matt wanted Trevor Anderson and he is the guy to do what you are looking for.  For his career he is better than a 2/1 assist to turnovers while shooting 39% from the 3.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Nice story from the Madison paper on the Wisconsin transfers.  Clearly the faith element of the Coaching staff is a big reason why we are attracting players like Sheldon,Trevor and Joe.

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/college/basketball/men/why-three-former-badgers-men-s-basketball-players-are-together-again-at-valparaiso/article_87eecc8f-f938-51f0-bbea-28367de46fee.html#tncms-source=login
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Who's ever playing the best in practice should start, no matter who they are if winning is the focus

wh

Quote from: 96 on July 11, 2021, 09:02:22 PM
Who's ever playing the best in practice should start, no matter who they are if winning is the focus

1000% correct. Put the highest performing players on the court and let the chips fall where they may. If that means that 6th year player Eron Gordon plays behind 1st year player Cam Palesse, so be it. The same goes for everyone else.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on July 12, 2021, 07:11:57 AM

1000% correct. Put the highest performing players on the court and let the chips fall where they may. If that means that 6th year player Eron Gordon plays behind 1st year player Cam Palesse, so be it. The same goes for everyone else.

I was discussing this with another Valpo fan and I do believe that if Canadian Ben Krikke has not made a good improvement over last season he may find himself sitting on the bench a lot more than he did this coming season.

Chairback

Ben made a significant leap from his freshman year and I actually think he will be even better with players who can actually shoot.  He had to do everything last year. 

He wasn't a bench player in the big ten but was one of the most talented in the MVC last year.

Ben is going to be ready good. Even better with practicing against the transfers vs Mileek

vu72

Krikke was MVC Third team all conference and Sheldon was all freshman team.  I expect both to be very significant parts of the success coming up!

Ben averaged 12 ppg over the final 8 games of the season with 9 being his low and 15 his high. 12 ppg was his season average as well.  That's called consistency!

nkvu

Quote from: Chairback on July 12, 2021, 11:50:07 AM
Ben made a significant leap from his freshman year and I actually think he will be even better with players who can actually shoot.  He had to do everything last year. 

He wasn't a bench player in the big ten but was one of the most talented in the MVC last year.

Ben is going to be ready good. Even better with practicing against the transfers vs Mileek

Third team all conference last year plus conference most improved team selection. If any of the new players can put him on the bench they will have to be a first team all conference level player. I expect him to just get better and better.  The only thing he didn't do well last year was shoot the three, and with the shooters we have now, we may only need him to show he will shoot it occasionally. I agree that playing with players who can hit from three will only open up the inside more to allow him to operate in the post. I see him getting 25-30 minutes per game, averaging 14-16 points and 6-8 rebounds.

wh

Another point related to putting the highest performing players on the court, regardless of experience. Someone mentioned that the program appears to be heading in the right direction. I'm not sure there's any way of assessing that anymore. All we know is what we have at this moment, and it apperars to be pretty good. Next year could be completely different, depending on who decides to hit the transfer portal, and who doesn't. The same goes for every other team in the MVC. Every year is a brand new game of musical chairs with possible new winners and losers. Bottom line - live for the moment and make the best of it. That's all we have.

I'm starting with the three Mr Basketball, and go from there

justducky

Quote from: Chairback on July 12, 2021, 11:50:07 AMBen is going to be ready good. Even better with practicing against the transfers vs Mileek

Mileek couldn't defend or consistently score against Valley competition. That is why he chose to move on to Western Michigan. Ben chose to stay because he can produce at both ends and should continue with improvements.

Quote from: nkvu on July 12, 2021, 01:10:17 PMI see him getting 25-30 minutes per game, averaging 14-16 points and 6-8 rebounds.

I think you are high but only because of our extreme depth of talent and experience. I'm having trouble seeing us in a 9 man rotation with 5 eligible scholarship players viewing only from the bench. How can we not play some of these guys?

Quote from: wh on July 12, 2021, 04:40:20 PMEvery year is a brand new game of musical chairs with possible new winners and losers. Bottom line - live for the moment and make the best of it. That's all we have.

Living only for the moment has never been part of my game plan and free agency will eventually evaporate my interest. That said I am fully on board for this year, thinking it might be my (our) last hurrah. No I am not dying but my interest in the guy's game could be if we have another mass exodus.

JD24

Quote from: bbtds on July 12, 2021, 10:48:29 AM
Quote from: 96 on July 11, 2021, 09:02:22 PMWho's ever playing the best in practice should start, no matter who they are if winning is the focus
I was discussing this with another Valpo fan and I do believe that if Canadian Ben Krikke has not made a good improvement over last season he may find himself sitting on the bench a lot more than he did this coming season.
This just struck me as odd but why the necessity to mention that Krikke is Canadian? Didn't seem to add to the comment unless we're deporting him if he doesn't improve.

bbtds

Quote from: JD24 on July 12, 2021, 10:55:30 PMThis just struck me as odd but why the necessity to mention that Krikke is Canadian? Didn't seem to add to the comment unless we're deporting him if he doesn't improve.

I have an admiration for Ben Krikke because he came a long way from Canada and chose to stick it out at Valpo through all the Covid related protocols. In general I like most things Canadian and he was our only Canadian, which is an identifying thing, for a time, until the freshman from Ottawa decided to come to Valpo. Actually things should be a lot easier for Ben because vaccinated Canadians will be able to move more easily between the US and Canada without all the quarantine time after July 21. 

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said today that Canada has no plans to open its borders to unvaccinated tourists in the foreseeable future because the pandemic isn't over yet.

"That's not going to happen for quite a while," Trudeau told a news conference in Coquitlam, B.C. "We're not quite out of this pandemic yet. We still have to be careful, we still have to be vigilant."

Canada has relaxed some of its border restrictions in recent weeks as COVID-19 case counts and other health metrics have steadily improved since the spring.

For example, the country no longer requires fully vaccinated Canadian citizens and permanent residents to quarantine for 14 days after arriving in the country.

However, fully vaccinated international tourists are not yet permitted to enter the country, though officials have said that restriction will soon be coming to an end.

David81

Is there any other mid-major with as many moving, tantalizing parts largely due to the transfer portal as VU?

There may be growing pains, as the players get to know each other on the court and the coaches determine what the rotation should be. And then Kobe King enters the picture. But this team could gel in an exciting way during the conference schedule and hits its peak just as Arch Madness approaches.

justducky

Quote from: bbtds on July 12, 2021, 11:24:06 PMPrime Minister Justin Trudeau said today that Canada has no plans to open its borders to unvaccinated tourists in the foreseeable future because the pandemic isn't over yet.

For two years running Canada has banned me from crossing the border to go fishing. In retaliation I suggest that Ben Krikke be banned from playing more than 40 minutes of basketball per contest. Take that--big boy!  >:(

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on July 13, 2021, 02:12:18 PM
Quote from: bbtds on July 12, 2021, 11:24:06 PMPrime Minister Justin Trudeau said today that Canada has no plans to open its borders to unvaccinated tourists in the foreseeable future because the pandemic isn't over yet.

For two years running Canada has banned me from crossing the border to go fishing. In retaliation I suggest that Ben Krikke be banned from playing more than 40 minutes of basketball per contest. Take that--big boy!  >:(

I know you're kidding but like in any situation where the competition for playing time has increased a great deal those that previously did not have the increased competition should be able to step up their game a level in order to justify their higher position on the team.

Valpower

Quote from: bbtds on July 13, 2021, 05:41:26 PM
I know you're kidding but like in any situation where the competition for playing time has increased a great deal those that previously did not have the increased competition should be able to step up their game a level in order to justify their higher position on the team.
We hope not, of course. That would be sandbagging. What we hope is that the competition raises the level of performance across the board.

bbtds

Quote from: bbtds on July 13, 2021, 05:41:26 PM
Valpower:
QuoteWe hope not, of course. That would be sandbagging. What we hope is that the competition raises the level of performance across the board.

I know we always rate a team on the quality each player brings to a team. But it is a team game and an individual player can only reach certain heights of quality if the other players on the team allow for that individual player to excel to his highest quality. I do believe Ben Krikke was held back somewhat by the inconsistency of the other players on the team and Ben will need to adjust to the increased quality of his new teammates or there is the possibility of him getting a bit less playing time than last season. I did not in anyway think Ben was sandbagging during last season. On the contrary I think Ben may have been the one giving the greatest effort last season if measured in a quantitative way. Ben, this coming season does have a higher potential.

justducky

I would think Ben would be competing primarily with Hedstrom and Kithier for playing time. I'll need to see a few games and watch our newcomers put up some 3's before I predict how some of this sorts out. Four or five guard attacks might also cost him some time on the floor.

FWalum

Getting antsy for more BB news and GAMES! I don't remember seeing any video of Kobe King so I thought this might get us out of the political doldrums. Must say I am drooling a little watching this.

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Nice highlights,  :oat this point I think it's about defense

wh

The way Kobe is able to post up and back down bulky Big Ten defenders with size, he should have a field day against MVC SG's.

Chairback

Where did Goodnews and Robinson end up at? I think I missed hearing where they landed. Just wondering with school starting in a few weeks. 

valpotx

Robinson is at Western Carolina
"Don't mess with Texas"