• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Student Senate President's statement

Started by FWalum, July 13, 2020, 03:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

The VU Student Senate President made a statement about mandatory consequences for any student whom is deemed racist. I think this is over the top and actually quite disgusting. It appears that a female pre-med student retweeted a tweet that many would consider racist about BLM and some other kid on twitter has reported her to the Student Senate. This comment by the Student Senate President is the result along with a letter to the Campus Judicial Board. While I agree that racism is unacceptable, who made Brenden Perez and Kaitlyn Steinhiser the fascist heads of the race inquisition.
https://twitter.com/ksteinhiser1999/status/1282386277141286919?s=20
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpopal

These are the same Cancel Culture folks that also are demanding the removal of the Crusader mascot and logo.

mj

Take a look at the list of administrators they sent the letter to. Seems like budget cuts should start there rather than cutting programs...
I believe that we will win.

valpo64

I am sick and tired of hearing this do-gooders us what is wrong with our society and Country.  I just read the other day where one of the Nation's leading retailers removed t-shirts ;from their shelves that read "All Lives Matter" because of pressure by the BLM group that said that the shirts showed that black lives  didn't mean anything and were racist in content.  Are you kidding me?  Enough of this crap is enough!   It is time that our Country stands up and says we have had and heard enough of this stuff.

usc4valpo

In reality, how much clout does the Valpo Student Senate have?seriously.

EddieCabot

I think the University should do everything it can to promote diversity and tolerance for all races/religions, etc.  Racist acts should not be tolerated.  With that said, attempting to police the comments of all students on all social media platforms to ensure they don't post anything someone might find "offensive" is a rabbit hole they shouldn't crawl into.

Once upon a time, college campuses were lauded as a place where diverse ideas and beliefs were openly discussed and debated logically.  Campuses today are the exact opposite of that.  Showing support for any Republican (much less the President) or questioning if there might be underlying political/social/economic agendas behind the BLM movement are clearly not topics that can be openly discussed ... they get you labeled as a hateful racist by the self-proclaimed "open-minded" and "tolerant" students/profs who run today's colleges and universities.

valpopal

Quote from: EddieCabot on July 14, 2020, 09:33:28 AM
I think the University should do everything it can to promote diversity and tolerance for all races/religions, etc.  Racist acts should not be tolerated.  With that said, attempting to police the comments of all students on all social media platforms to ensure they don't post anything someone might find "offensive" is a rabbit hole they shouldn't crawl into.

Once upon a time, college campuses were lauded as a place where diverse ideas and beliefs were openly discussed and debated logically.  Campuses today are the exact opposite of that.  Showing support for any Republican (much less the President) or questioning if there might be underlying political/social/economic agendas behind the BLM movement are clearly not topics that can be openly discussed ... they get you labeled as a hateful racist by the self-proclaimed "open-minded" and "tolerant" students/profs who run today's colleges and universities.

Unfortunately, this situation has expanded from universities to corporations and other workplaces as well, most notably including journalism, which also should be "a place for diverse ideas and beliefs." Just today, Bari Weiss wrote her resignation letter from the New York Times because it does not accept views other than those that follow far-left orthodoxy. Even she, as a left of center liberal lesbian, was labeled as "Nazi and racist" by her co-workers.  She condemns the "new McCarthyism" and such acts as the one committed by the Student Senate where "the doxxing of teenagers in the name of justice is condoned." Her letter is instructive: https://www.bariweiss.com/resignation-letter

NotBryceDrew

Student Senate primary function is to be the primary administrator of all the student organizations. They allocate $600k worth yearly, approve/ remove orgs (officially being an org allows many benefits for campus activities), take care of all expense in accordance with budgets of orgs, etc. There is a myriad of many smaller activities that fall underneath them.

They have the best access to Dean of Students and other University admins as a few admins attend all weekly meetings.

As you alluded Senate is not changing anything immediately, however, I believe it would be the only formal channel that a change could move through from students to the administration but this maybe more of a suggestion than an item that needs to be considered.

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on July 14, 2020, 11:15:16 AMEven she, as a left of center liberal lesbian,

I would seem that you view the word "lesbian" as pejorative.  If not, why is it used to describe this woman.  Just curious.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on July 14, 2020, 11:37:29 AM
Quote from: valpopal on July 14, 2020, 11:15:16 AMEven she, as a left of center liberal lesbian,

I would seem that you view the word "lesbian" as pejorative.  If not, why is it used to describe this woman.  Just curious.

I don't know why you say this. Absolutely not meant as pejorative but simply to identify her, like "left of center liberal" (also not meant as a pejorative), as someone who is distant from a stereotypical right-wing religious profile and yet is labeled by her coworkers as a "Nazi and racist." This just exhibits and emphasizes the narrowness of the accepted orthodoxy followed by those who attack her.

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on July 14, 2020, 11:48:01 AM

I don't know why you say this. Absolutely not meant as pejorative but simply to identify her, like "left of center liberal" (also not meant as a pejorative), as someone who is distant from a stereotypical right-wing religious profile and yet is labeled by her coworkers as a "Nazi and racist." This just exhibits and emphasizes the narrowness of the accepted orthodoxy followed by those who attack her.

Fair enough, but, Neither "left of center liberal" or "right-wing religious" has any connotation as to sexuality.  Lesbian, however, does.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on July 14, 2020, 12:53:32 PM

Fair enough, but, Neither "left of center liberal" or "right-wing religious" has any connotation as to sexuality.  Lesbian, however, does.

However, I mentioned "stereotypical" in front of "right-wing religious," which would carry a connotation of strict fundamentalist attitudes toward sexuality. In any case, there was never any pejorative to be associated with this. After all, at the very least it would have been counter-productive on my part to disparage an individual with whom I empathize and have admiration, and whose words I was recommending people to read as "instructive."

FWalum

Getting a little concerned here. The student that has been accused of racism has threatened suicide. Here is the response from the accuser on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/clake345/status/1283830623589801985?s=20
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpopal

Quote from: FWalum on July 16, 2020, 01:36:32 PM
Getting a little concerned here. The student that has been accused of racism has threatened suicide. Here is the response from the accuser on Twitter.
[tweet]1283830623589801985[/tweet]?s=20

I find it disheartening that the president and vice-president of the student body, plus members of the Student Senate, as well as other officials in campus student organizations, are doxing a fellow VU student, targeting and damaging her due to dubious information directed by a horrible non-Valpo student with a political agenda. Doxing is a destructive act that can be a dangerous and occasionally deadly practice, as some individuals have committed suicide. No matter their motives, this is not the proper way to proceed. It is shameful behavior by those who are supposed to be responsible student leaders.

EddieCabot

Again, the goal of reducing/eradicating racism (or at least, racist acts) on campus is admirable.  Is the best way to accomplish that goal really punishing/expelling students who have ever liked a social media post the University thinks could be offensive? 

I'm not that familiar with Facebook, but I do know that many Twitter users utilize the "like" function to bookmark posts/links they want to be able to find later.  What if I "like" a tweet that links to a blog post about the BLM movement to read later, only to find out the linked post contains "offensive" material or words?  What if I accidentally "like" an offensive tweet while quickly scrolling through my timeline on my phone?  Also, "Likes" or "Retweets" don't always equate to an endorsement.  People may retweet things they don't agree with, just to mock or ridicule a position they consider silly. 

JD24

Quote from: valpopal on July 14, 2020, 01:11:24 PM
However, I mentioned "stereotypical" in front of "right-wing religious," which would carry a connotation of strict fundamentalist attitudes toward sexuality. In any case, there was never any pejorative to be associated with this. After all, at the very least it would have been counter-productive on my part to disparage an individual with whom I empathize and have admiration, and whose words I was recommending people to read as "instructive."
If it were a viewpoint from a right wing male who was heterosexual would you have mentioned that he was a "right wing straightguy"? I doubt it. Bringing up the sexuality of the woman even if it were a generalization really isn't necessary.
I don't know why you say this. Absolutely not meant as pejorative but simply to identify her, like "left of center liberal" 
Would you have used a "right of center straightguy" to describe someone?

usc4valpo

just because you are president of the Valpo student senate, who maybe one level above the intelligence of AOC,  does not imply you have the best solution, . We are talking about young people who sometimes speak out of emotions and do not always think of the complete ramifications and effects .

the intent is removing racism is awesome and aspirational, the approach is certainly lacking and not well thought out.

FWalum

I realize the threat of suicide was from 10 days ago, but it seems as if Kaitlyn Steinhiser has had enough of our conversation and has stopped responding. It maybe she has realized that this voyeur of an accuser from IU has manipulated her and others in order to hurt a fellow VU student. Is this student's threat of suicide something that should be reported to VU?

valpopal

Quote from: JD24 on July 16, 2020, 03:01:14 PM
Quote from: valpopal on July 14, 2020, 01:11:24 PM
If it were a viewpoint from a right wing male who was heterosexual would you have mentioned that he was a "right wing straightguy"? I doubt it. Bringing up the sexuality of the woman even if it were a generalization really isn't necessary.
Quote from: valpopal
/quote]
Yes, I might if the "right wing straight guy" were commenting about LGBQT+ issues. In fact, I have. Sometimes such characteristics are relevant for context. I was recently involved in an academic seminar discussion where a straight VU professor accused Richard Grenell of being an anti-gay right wing official, and I had to point out that Grenell is well-known as a gay man who has publicly spoken out against such discrimination, which the speaker, as a straight man, should have researched before his presentation. 

valpotx

I view what that Brendan Perez guy is saying as much worse than the initial act.  Yeah, the n-word should not be uttered, unless you are allowed to use it, but saying that someone should kill themselves because of it?  Our Student Senate President picked the wrong battle on this one.  Good intentions, probably, but do a bit more research on the situation, before you publicly kill someone's image.  I wouldn't be surprised if this leads to some type of lawsuit, due to slander, and it will be because of the Student Senate President.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Remember, we are talking youngsters in their early 20s that have not been experiencing the real world. And in reality, the campus experience at Valparaiso does sufficiently reflect what they will experience after graduation. Song fest competitions do not reflect what is important in life. 

JD24

Quote from: valpopal on July 16, 2020, 03:31:18 PM
Quote from: JD24 on July 16, 2020, 03:01:14 PMIf it were a viewpoint from a right wing male who was heterosexual would you have mentioned that he was a "right wing straightguy"? I doubt it. Bringing up the sexuality of the woman even if it were a generalization really isn't necessary. 
Yes, I might if the "right wing straight guy" were commenting about LGBQT+ issues. In fact, I have. Sometimes such characteristics are relevant for context. I was recently involved in an academic seminar discussion where a straight VU professor accused Richard Grenell of being an anti-gay right wing official, and I had to point out that Grenell is well-known as a gay man who has publicly spoken out against such discrimination, which the speaker, as a straight man, should have researched before his presentation.
I don't think any of that applied in this situation.

JD24

In general I think there's some important lessons....well one at least....for all involved in this caper.

Be careful what you put on social media.