• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

This Year's Team

Started by Just Sayin, August 15, 2021, 10:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Sayin

I haven't been this excited about Valpo basketball since the announcement in 94 when Bryce Drew decided to come here and play for his father. Boy, those were the good old days. That first parings party with free pizza and other food was fantastic with the wild and crazy-good atmosphere of the fans and the players. And of course, that wasn't our first pairings party and we eventually made a run to the sweet 16. I was a Valpo fanatic for many years afterwards until the past few years. I haven't even attended the games the past few years. I listen to Todd or watch some games online, but with passing interest.

Now, we have a class which includes both some promising returnees as well as three Mr. Basketballs. Wow!

I expect great things from this team and hope that it is the beginning of new dominant era for the Crusaders. Hopefully, if we have the kind of success I am anticipating, the adminstration won't pass up that golden opportunity as it did in 1998 by failing to grab the brass ring and to invest in and to grow the program; instead, they should take full advantage of the publicity I am imagining we will (should) get when we make a run in the big dance. This is the right time with the right talent. Don't squander that chance to become a mid-major force again. I'm guessing that once the university decides it will do whatever is necessary to invest in the men's basketball program with the goal of making it a mid-major powerhouse, that the enrollment problems will eventually vanish.

Can't wait for the season to begin!

Has anyone had a chance to observe practices? I'd be interested in your thoughts about this new team and how good you think they are and will be.

JBC1824

Part of me can't help but wonder whether Valpo will have the financial resources to capitalize on any success the bball program might have in the coming years.

But I agree that should be as much of a priority as is reasonably possible. The mens bball program is perhaps our school's best ambassador, at least outside of the midwest.

For instance, I grew up and continue to live on the east coast. When I tell people where I went for undergrad, if they have heard of Valpo, it is almost exclusively because of the former successes of the mens bball program. Some ppl even get quite excited to talk about it with me, particularly about "the shot." In contrast, I've had only one conversation about how great our engineering program is.

And then, outside of individuals within my immediate church community, I've not had any conversations about Valpo related to its religious affiliation. Comparatively speaking, there are very few Lutherans out here.

There are far more ppl that college basketball appeals to than Lutheranism or whatever else. Seems to make the most sense to place the focus there.

Maybe we should begin a GoFundMe purposed for meaningful ARC renovations or something. Personally, I feel addressing the facilities issue is tops on the to-do-list.
Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

vuny98

We couldn't even fund a proper rebranding, which could have been one of the most important/impactful moments in recent history for the University. I have zero hope we will capitalize on any success from the basketball team, even though we should.

elephtheria47

Let's temper expectations. Can basketball be that vehicle for the university? Certainly. But we've been finishing at the bottom of the conference. Hoping the team can live up to expectations.

Valpower

Quote from: elephtheria47 on August 16, 2021, 10:11:36 PM
Let's temper expectations. Can basketball be that vehicle for the university? Certainly. But we've been finishing at the bottom of the conference. Hoping the team can live up to expectations.
Hear, hear. I'm happy to read the enthusiasm, but I too am just waiting for the team to live up to expectations. Transfers, even those who excelled in high school, always have either some level of dissatisfaction or underperformance behind them that needs to be corrected.

We always hope that they are talented and just need playing time, conditioning, development, team chemistry, or the right system to play in to fulfill their potential so you always have to ask yourself what we bringing to the task that was lacking at the previous school. Playing time is always a good bet when referring to so-called downward transfers. But promises of playing time, if that's what lured them in, are a morale-threatening powder keg. And is playing time ever enough?

For P5 transfers, we don't really have the resources to improve on conditioning or development. And, while we might be right to assume the Wisconsin transfers have chemistry amongst themselves, there will still be integration challenges.

In the end, the big question mark is whether we can create a system that's suitable for the players we have.  Matt does not have a proven system that's critical to winning, so does he have the flexibility to change it to take advantage of a recruiting class that may represent a lightning-in-a-bottle moment?

Just Sayin

The stars are aligned with talent. It remains to be seen whether Matt can get the job done. I'm still skeptical about that but would be tickled pink if he FINALLY showed us he can put together a great team. If my expectations, which are typically not very high at all for Valpo basketball the past several years, are not met, I will go back into exile as far as buying tickets and attending games. If Matt can't do it with this team, I don't see that he will ever do it regardless of the talent level.

justducky

Quote from: Valpower on August 18, 2021, 10:01:41 AMIn the end, the big question mark is whether we can create a system that's suitable for the players we have.  Matt does not have a proven system that's critical to winning, so does he have the flexibility to change it to take advantage of a recruiting class that may represent a lightning-in-a-bottle moment?

Matt seems to have the background, connections, knowledge and recruiting skills necessary to remain somewhere in D-1 at some capacity forever. This team is his greatest opportunity and his deepest trap. Stay tuned!

crusader05

Matt seems to do best with those that are incredibly self-motivated. This group seems to be much more in that direction so let's hope that it works out.

covufan

Listening to Over/Under podcast. With the talent on this team, I really hope we push the tempo up and utilize our depth, especially in the MVC.

Looking forward to watching this team. Also hoping fans, especially student support, come back to the ARC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vu72

Quote from: Just Sayin on August 18, 2021, 10:53:33 AMMatt can get the job done. I'm still skeptical about

I understand the skepticism, but...Matt has been dealt (granted by his own recruiting) some real head jobs and still, got to the conference title game, and even last year, while having to start Daniel Sackey and McMillan, beat #25 Drake and got to within 2 points of Loyola at Loyola while starters Clay, Gordon and McMillan, contributed a total of 9 points.  And the improvement has been consistent, last year, not finishing "near the bottom" but rather tied for fifth and a first round bye.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

AB

Shrewd Strategie recruiting over his incoming freshman, with the Wisconsin transfers and Taylor. Yes some players come to Valpo because they will get more playing time. JFL was given a lot of freedom. I wonder if the strategy will pay off like many of the P5 schools do, bring in highly regarded freshman and redshirt them like Gonzaga and or Virginia for example. Slim is gonna be great, but would he be as good "ready to play" like the MSU kid this year.

vu72

Quote from: AB on October 18, 2021, 11:10:00 AM
Shrewd Strategie recruiting over his incoming freshman, with the Wisconsin transfers and Taylor. Yes some players come to Valpo because they will get more playing time. JFL was given a lot of freedom. I wonder if the strategy will pay off like many of the P5 schools do, bring in highly regarded freshman and redshirt them like Gonzaga and or Virginia for example. Slim is gonna be great, but would he be as good "ready to play" like the MSU kid this year.

Every coach will always take the best players available.  Matt had no way to know the Kobe King would be available when Valpo signed Slim or any of the freshman.  It is part of today's landscape with 1800 transfers.  We have zero idea who might transfer based on this year's playing time.  If the Freshman buy in and/or clearly recognize that they guys playing ahead of them are just better players (at this point anyway), then they are looking to most likely move down a notch to get playing time, unless it is also clear that with the departure of Trevor and Kevion that playing time will definitely increase.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusader05

I think you could also pretty well state that Matt has tried the "cater to the star" attitude and it has gotten him nothing but transfers and frustrations when they don't get all they want or is still not enough to stop the jump to the perceived next level.

wh

Quote from: elephtheria47 on August 16, 2021, 10:11:36 PM

IMHO, there is enough talent, experience, and depth to compete for a conference championship and finish no less than 3rd. Right, wrong, or indifferent, those are my personal expectations for this team. If they fail to perform to my expectations, that's on them for underperforming and not on me for over expecting.

bb33

This year is a little different, and next year will be too, with the extra year of eligibility.  There are more upperclassman on the rosters and the freshmen will be lucky to play, all around the league.  I am hearing from seniors in high school this year that recruiting is tough because the rosters are crowded.  Lots of schools are offering the four in five scholarships because they don't have the roster spots.  Let's hope the freshmen who don't play don't get frustrated and take this as an opportunity to learn.

wh

Quote from: crusader05 on October 18, 2021, 02:24:26 PM
I think you could also pretty well state that Matt has tried the "cater to the star" attitude and it has gotten him nothing but transfers and frustrations when they don't get all they want or is still not enough to stop the jump to the perceived next level.

Excellent point! With this many good players and only 200 minutes, it is humanly impossible to make everyone happy. Do the right thing, stay true to yourself, and let the chips fall where they may as far as player loyalty is concerned.

Just Sayin

Matt shouldn't worry one wit about who "might" transfer because they don't get enough playing time. He should play the best players period. Always! Some of those starters will probably leave anyway.
A coach's success comes from winning, not from babysitting and handholding, and being fearful of hurting someone's wittle feewings.

Just win and they will fill the ARC. If you can't win with this talent, you need to go elsewhere. You've had enough years under your belt and now you have the talent.
Show us you can coach. No excuses.

AlaskaCrusader19

It's going to be really interesting to see how these Big Ten transfers fit in. Kobe King could be a massive addition if he plays to his potential. Lots of reason to be excited, but I also think any skepticism is very fair.

Just Sayin

Quote from: AlaskaCrusader19 on October 20, 2021, 10:50:03 AM
It's going to be really interesting to see how these Big Ten transfers fit in. Kobe King could be a massive addition if he plays to his potential. Lots of reason to be excited, but I also think any skepticism is very fair.

The talent will be there.
Will good coaching be there? On that question,  there is good reason for skepticism. It's time to show what you can do to be making over $365,000/year.

wh

I agree the talent is there, and far more depth than Matt has had in his 4 years as head coach. Competition has to be fierce, which means that players are going to have to stay in top physical condition, keep good attitudes, fill the role they're asked to fill, put in additional work on their own time, stay away from the allure of breaking team rules (like players smoking pot at a girlfriend's house, breaking COVID protocols, and other ways players have taken advantage of Matt's naivety and gentle nature), etc.

Don't misunderstand, Matt has great qualities. I know he sees coaching as a higher calling - to prepare young men to be responsible citizens, great husbands, great fathers, priorities squared away, and all the things he has talked about repeatedly. He unashamedly prays with and for his players and staff. I would love to have my son under his tutelage. It's just unfortunate that we've had some guys that have taken advantage of the trust he placed in them and the freedom to do the right thing on their own.

JD24

There's depth. That's for sure. I think there's some assumptions as to how the transfers will fit in and work out. The exception to that I think is King who appears to be a talented player. Taylor as well but I'm not as sold on him at this point. The rest I'm not sure of. The 3 can be a bigger weapon with this group.

usc4valpo

Preseason predictions are not as high as the enthusiasm on this board. I hope we can turn this around. I also think this is a critical year for Lottich to enable success.

vu72

Quote from: JD24 on October 20, 2021, 10:53:27 PM
There's depth. That's for sure. I think there's some assumptions as to how the transfers will fit in and work out. The exception to that I think is King who appears to be a talented player. Taylor as well but I'm not as sold on him at this point. The rest I'm not sure of. The 3 can be a bigger weapon with this group.

Based on Todd's assessment Thomas Kithier is going to be the star.

JD24

Quote from: vu72 on October 21, 2021, 09:14:23 AM
Quote from: JD24 on October 20, 2021, 10:53:27 PMThere's depth. That's for sure. I think there's some assumptions as to how the transfers will fit in and work out. The exception to that I think is King who appears to be a talented player. Taylor as well but I'm not as sold on him at this point. The rest I'm not sure of. The 3 can be a bigger weapon with this group.
Based on Todd's assessment Thomas Kithier is going to be the star.
I hope he's right. I'm not convinced he is.

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on October 21, 2021, 09:14:23 AMBased on Todd's assessment Thomas Kithier is going to be the star.

I am still worried about his defense and a real star has to defend his position.