• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Detroit Asst. Basketball Coach and Athletic Director Both Resign

Started by valpopal, October 31, 2012, 03:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Reports are that Detroit assistant basketball coach Derek Thomas and Athletic Director Keri Gaither have both suddenly resigned, effective immediately. No details yet, but this can't be good for the program right at the beginning of a new season.

wh

valpotx

There has to be some kind of 'juicy' story here for two different positions like this to resign the same day...
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

I think the other thing that makes this event interesting is that Keri Gaither, AD, had been with Detroit Mercy for 27 years in different positions, the last 4 as AD. It couldn't have been an easy decision for her unless..............................
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

crusadermoe

It is really odd to pair the two announcements and have them both be "effective immediately."     ValpoTX is probably right unfortunately.     

valpopal

From "Rush the Court" this morning:

When high-level officials resign abruptly we usually know that something very bad happened, but of course, we typically know what that bad thing was before the resignations. That is not the case at Detroit this week where Keri Gaither, the school's Athletic Director, and Derek Thomas, an assistant on the men's basketball team, announced their resignations within a few hours of each other. That might sound suspicious enough, but it was the last day of October. On a Wednesday. Clearly, something significant happened at the school — whether it was personal or a power struggle — but whatever it was could create a significant ripple in a program that was becoming one of the best in the Horizon League. As we said last night on Twitter we have no idea what just happened in Detroit, but we are pretty sure that it is not good.

http://rushthecourt.net/2012/11/01/morning-five-11-01-12-edition/

MattCarter

Just a theory...but Gaither was on Ethics panel and Thomas was a decent head coach at Western... doesn't it sound like they were asked to do something and said no?

I wonder if anyone hucked a flower pot through McCallum's office?  Oh that is right Holman "graduated"
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

chef

According to the UDM board, the pair were involved in a long standing relationship. Sounds like it was the worst kept secret on campus. Don't know if Thomas went all George Costanza on the way out...."Was that wrong? Cause I've worked in places where people are doing that kind of stuff all the time, If somebody had told me when I started that sort of thing was frowned upon.."

historyman

Gaither and her husband, Brad Trombley, reside in Pleasant Ridge with their two children, Elliott (20), a junior at the University of Detroit Mercy majoring in Engineering, and daughter Kennedy (14).

Thomas and his wife, Julie, have four children, Bailey (15), Samantha (13), Jade (11) and Shane (9).

This whole situation now seems very sad.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

MattCarter

My head went in totally the wrong direction and that shoulda stuck out...  Wow, now I really do hope its a point shaving thing or something
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

covufan

Quote from: valpotx on November 01, 2012, 05:41:13 AM
There has to be some kind of 'juicy' story here for two different positions like this to resign the same day...
Quote from: historyman on November 01, 2012, 08:19:46 AM
I think the other thing that makes this event interesting is that Keri Gaither, AD, had been with Detroit Mercy for 27 years in different positions, the last 4 as AD. It couldn't have been an easy decision for her unless..............................
Quote from: crusadermoe on November 01, 2012, 10:05:13 AM
It is really odd to pair the two announcements and have them both be "effective immediately."     ValpoTX is probably right unfortunately.     
My initial thoughts as well. 

valpotx

Yikes, if they are in a secret relationship and have separate families, that is worse than Bobby Petrino
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

A second asst coach on the mens basketball team at UDM has resigned. Hardly any details about the reason for the resignation of asst coach Carlos Briggs were released.

http://www.freep.com/article/20121102/SPORTS08/121102085/detroit-mercy-mens-basketball-carlos-briggs?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Asked whether McCallum and his other assistant, Jay Smith, still were with the team, Litchman said they were.

Briggs, a Detroit native who attended St. Benedictine High and Schoolcraft College, primarily worked with the Titans' guards, which include McCallum's son, Ray, plus recruited and scouted opponents.

He was the head coach at Schoolcraft in 1997-2006, building one of the better junior college programs in the country. He went 249-39 and reached a juco Final Four in 2001 with 36-1 team.

(the other asst coach to resign this week, Derek) Thomas worked with perimeter players with the Titans and coordinated recruiting. He is the son of Pro Football Hall of Fame defensive back Emmitt Thomas and presented his father at the induction ceremony in Canton, Ohio.

milanmiracle

Quote from: valpotx on November 02, 2012, 04:31:21 PM
Yikes, if they are in a secret relationship and have separate families, that is worse than Bobby Petrino

I guess I don't see how this is worse than Bobby Petrino? I am not condoning their actions, but unless they lied to their boss, it's not in the same catagory. Bobby's issue was he hired the girl who he had an affair with, and then lied about it to his boss.

These two just had an affair, and unless the AD hired the basketball coach (unlikely, though techinally a superior), it's just another sad state of affairs.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

VULB#62

Quote from: milanmiracle on November 02, 2012, 10:12:24 PM
These two just had an affair, and unless the AD hired the basketball coach (unlikely, though techinally a superior), it's just another sad state of affairs.

Obviously no pun intended.

valpopal

Another Assistant Coach out at Detroit! Things are certainly in turmoil in the Titans' basketball program:

On Wednesday, assistant Derek Thomas, in his fifth season on coach Ray McCallum's staff, resigned [size=100%]effective[/size] immediately to pursue other interests, according to a UDM release. Assistant Carlos Briggs, in his sixth season at UDM, did not attend practice Thursday and today. He would not comment on his status; neither would school officials. Gary Lichtman, director of media relations, marketing and public affairs, said UDM could not comment on personnel matters when asked whether Briggs was still with the team. McCallum did not return calls from the Free Press....

http://www.freep.com/article/20121102/SPORTS08/121102085/detroit-mercy-mens-basketball-carlos-briggs

historyman

I guess I'll stop posting stories.....it does seem to be useless.

milanmiracle

Quote from: historyman on November 03, 2012, 12:42:51 PM
I guess I'll stop posting stories.....it does seem to be useless.

Hmm, not sure where you get that from? What did I miss?
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

vuweathernerd

sounds like some serious upheaval in detroit. 3 assts and the ad in the span of a week? yikes!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: milanmiracle on November 03, 2012, 01:03:30 PMHmm, not sure where you get that from? What did I miss?

You weren't the only one:

historyman:  « Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 10:06:12 PM »
A second asst coach on the mens basketball team at UDM has resigned. Hardly any details about the reason for the resignation of asst coach Carlos Briggs were released.

http://www.freep.com/article/20121102/SPORTS08/121102085/detroit-mercy-mens-basketball-carlos-briggs?odyssey=tab

valpopal: « Reply #16 on: Today at 12:11:52 PM »
Quote from: valpopal on November 03, 2012, 11:11:52 AMAnother Assistant Coach out at Detroit! Things are certainly in turmoil in the Titans' basketball program:
http://www.freep.com/article/20121102/SPORTS08/121102085/detroit-mercy-mens-basketball-carlos-briggs
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

milanmiracle

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 03, 2012, 02:23:05 PM
Quote from: milanmiracle on November 03, 2012, 01:03:30 PMHmm, not sure where you get that from? What did I miss?

You weren't the only one:

historyman:  « Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 10:06:12 PM »

http://www.freep.com/article/20121102/SPORTS08/121102085/detroit-mercy-mens-basketball-carlos-briggs?odyssey=tab

valpopal: « Reply #16 on: Today at 12:11:52 PM »
Quote from: valpopal on November 03, 2012, 11:11:52 AMAnother Assistant Coach out at Detroit! Things are certainly in turmoil in the Titans' basketball program:

Alright, I thought it was something deeper than that...Just reposting the same article, not a big deal to me, but I appreciate you clarifying that.

StlVUFan

Quote from: vuweathernerd on November 03, 2012, 02:21:30 PM
sounds like some serious upheaval in detroit. 3 assts and the ad in the span of a week? yikes!
2, actually.

valpotx

Quote from: milanmiracle on November 02, 2012, 10:12:24 PM
Quote from: valpotx on November 02, 2012, 04:31:21 PM

I guess I don't see how this is worse than Bobby Petrino? I am not condoning their actions, but unless they lied to their boss, it's not in the same catagory. Bobby's issue was he hired the girl who he had an affair with, and then lied about it to his boss.

I see it as worse, as it involves 2 full families, instead of just one
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

See, that's the problem with reposting articles already posted...now people think they've lost 3 assistants.

This is how rumors get started.

Not the kind of rumors that cost ADs their jobs, hopefully.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa