• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Detroit Asst. Basketball Coach and Athletic Director Both Resign

Started by valpopal, October 31, 2012, 03:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 03, 2013, 04:49:14 PMso i guess it might depend on what the state of michigan's laws are.

I'm not sure it really does.  I mean, I guess someone could try to pass a law basically mandating full disclosure of private activities (and then the Supreme Court could really decide if there's a constitutional right to privacy!).

I think the idea, loosely, is that public organizations are acting austensibly in the public interest, operating using public funds and with public authority.  So, the public has some reasonable right to an oversight role.

It's a lot harder to make that argument for a private organization.  I'm not aware of any laws, anywhere, that would give a member of the public any special access to the affairs of a private individual or organization.

bbtds

Michigan's Freedom of Information Act:

http://www.mml.org/pdf/glv/appendix3.pdf

Coverage
The Freedom of Information Act regulates
and sets requirements for the disclosure of
public records by all "public bodies" in the
state. All state agencies, county and other
local governments, school boards, other
boards, departments, commissions, councils
and public colleges and universities are
covered. Any program primarily funded by
the state or local authority is also covered.

I have a feeling it doesn't extend to private universities but it must depend ultimately on the funding. My guess is UDM is mostly privately funded.

udmtitanfan

If you could read the text messages between Gaither and Thomas that I've read, you would really enjoy them!
I alerted the school's president years ago about this and the problems it could cause with the basketball team and the administration.  Some schools are just too concerned with the record of the basketball team.  Heck, I even tried to alert their spouses, but the cheaters must have gotten to the answering machines first.
Now the whistleblower has been fired, and I think he has a strong case against the athletics department.  Good luck to all that were done wrong.

bbtds

Quote from: udmtitanfan on February 07, 2013, 10:01:42 AM
If you could read the text messages between Gaither and Thomas that I've read, you would really enjoy them!
I alerted the school's president years ago about this and the problems it could cause with the basketball team and the administration.  Some schools are just too concerned with the record of the basketball team.  Heck, I even tried to alert their spouses, but the cheaters must have gotten to the answering machines first.
Now the whistleblower has been fired, and I think he has a strong case against the athletics department.  Good luck to all that were done wrong.

Carlos, is that you?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on February 03, 2013, 07:43:47 AM"On occasion, players would observe Thomas slip into Gaither's hotel room after the team's curfew

C'mon, guys, we missed THIS part?  This is hiLARious...it's like the first line of "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'"

Although I don't know why we'd expect them to have any more discipline off the court than they do on...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

Former Detroit Mercy AD admits affair with basketball assistant

Former Detroit Mercy athletic director Keri Gaither admitted she had an extramarital affair with assistant basketball coach Derek Thomas, but she denied that it created a culture of harassment, that she openly displayed favoritism in the basketball program and that it negatively affected the program.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/horizon/2013/03/28/detroit-mercy-keri-gaither-derek-thomas-affair-lawsuit/2027495/

LaPorteAveApostle

UDM has hired Ernie Zeigler, former head coach at CMU, as an assistant.
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130528/SPORTS0203/305280389/Ex-CMU-basketball-coach-Ernie-Zeigler-joins-UDM-assistant?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CSports%7Cp

At first I was worried that he might bring his son Trey with him, but Trey will be pulling a Richie Edwards--transferring to his third school, and sitting a year to play his last one--and going to TCU (from Pitt).

No sweat.  If Zeigler were a good coach, he wouldn't have gotten fired from a MAC school with his big shot son scoring 16 ppg for them for two years (Duke, UM, MSU all offered Trey).
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

I would be surprised if McCallum survives this.  He has admitted he was told about the affair and did nothing.  Given Ray Jr. is gone, perhaps the old man will throw in the towel and Ziegler will take over.  A very interesting situation to say the least...  :popcorn:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on May 28, 2013, 09:07:42 PMperhaps the old man will throw in the towel and Ziegler will take over
good point.

in the freep version of the same article, a different focus, and one might say a more holistic one, since this was the "welcome the new AD press conference":
http://www.freep.com/article/20130528/SPORTS08/305280100/detroit-mercy-robert-vowels-keri-gaither

Robert Vowels, the new AD, compares UDM's situation to that of Butler a few years back.  Make that QUITE a few ;)

Oh--Vowels also said something in consonance with many posters here:  that Detroit might bring back baseball.

He also made an assonance of himself by telling the students they left too much alliteration around campus.

OK, that part is made up, but I have a feeling I'm going to trope around this territory for a while.

Also that bbtds will join me in making this Vowels Movement.

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 28, 2013, 09:25:30 PM
Quote from: vu72 on May 28, 2013, 09:07:42 PMperhaps the old man will throw in the towel and Ziegler will take over
good point.

in the freep version of the same article, a different focus, and one might say a more holistic one, since this was the "welcome the new AD press conference":
http://www.freep.com/article/20130528/SPORTS08/305280100/detroit-mercy-robert-vowels-keri-gaither

Robert Vowels, the new AD, compares UDM's situation to that of Butler a few years back.  Make that QUITE a few ;)

Oh--Vowels also said something in consonance with many posters here:  that Detroit might bring back baseball.

He also made an assonance of himself by telling the students they left too much alliteration around campus.

OK, that part is made up, but I have a feeling I'm going to trope around this territory for a while.

Also that bbtds will join me in making this Vowels Movement.

A, E, I, PEE-U

OOOOhhh my!

Did you catch the Pacers win over the Heat? LBrn Jms vowels out with seconds to go. Pacers knock off the Ht by 7, 99-92. Series locked up at 2-2 and needing an enema.

Speaking of a Vowel Movement, Dtrt Ttns lose a few too many vowels when Ry McCllm Jr declares for the drft. Ry Sr definitely feeling the effects of the drft on his bald head and he may feel a little on the Heat seat--Wading out too far, not so Norris Coled but Battierd around a bit, not able to put the keBosh on losing, feeling Haslemed by the fans, seeing the Birdman after you wake in the morning, having Juwan Howard Sr telling you how to divide up playing time. Speaking of Ry, Sr will need an Allen wrench to keep his job, while Lebron steals and slams it away for a trip to the shwrs-Voweling out of c*ll*g* c**ch*ng.

Ry Sr said to his new AD "A, I bring the O at this here U." Vowels responded "Well, I don't scare eeeeeeasily. You should learn to bring the D-too, or you might end up coaching there." 

valpotx

I would love it if they brought back baseball, of course  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 28, 2013, 09:25:30 PMHe also made an assonance of himself by telling the students they left too much alliteration around campus.

Too many numbers and not enough Vowels in their alliterations?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

I hope their new A.D. takes a bolder approach to positioning Detroit athletics than did his predecessor(s).  Efforts to block Oakland from joining the conference make them look weak and desperate.  Any athletic department afraid to go head-to-head with Oakland University should probably drop down to D-2.  Instead, they held the rest of the conference hostage for the past year, plus.  Time to grow up and be a good "team member."

By the way, good riddance to their co-conspirator and fellow conference obstructionist Loyola. 

bbtds

I think Valpo was the deciding factor in the entrance of Oakland into the Horizon League and if Detroit had tried to enhance it's relationship with other conference members instead of unleashing their 3 year wonder, Ray McCallum Jr, and his father, Ray Sr, on Valpo and the other conference members they might have kept Oakland out. But after that slam by Ray Jr in the 2011-12 HL men's basketball championship game there was no way Valpo was going to back Detroit on keeping Oakland out.

Also Greg Kampe's relationship with Homer Drew and other Valpo people can't be taken for granted.

I still think HL Commissioner Le Crone may have orchestrated the departure of Loyola when he saw the resistance of Detroit to the move of getting Oakland into the HL. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Detroit leave the HL even for a smaller in stature conference in the future. 

LaPorteAveApostle

http://www.freep.com/article/20130604/SPORTS06/306040048/michigan-basketball-travis-conlan

Michigan's Director of Basketball Operations is leaving.  I post this because the word on the street is that it's because he'll take an assistant's job at UDM...

Good player and will make an even better coach.

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 04, 2013, 10:16:15 PM
http://www.freep.com/article/20130604/SPORTS06/306040048/michigan-basketball-travis-conlan

Michigan's Director of Basketball Operations is leaving.  I post this because the word on the street is that it's because he'll take an assistant's job at UDM...

Good player and will make an even better coach.
If I remember correctly UDM only had one asst coach position filled and two asst coach positions open. When the scandal became known Thomas resigned due to his affair with the AD. Briggs was fired because he was the whistle blower and UDM's president deemed his actions inappropriate and the lawsuit then was brought by Briggs against UDM. So Detroit only had one asst coach under Ray Sr. So if the Michigan director of basketball operations takes UDM's second filled asst coach position then if UDM returns to their old line-up they need to hire a third asst coach (and most likely a head coach after the team's record takes a nose dive).

LaPorteAveApostle

http://www.freep.com/article/20130607/SPORTS03/306070118/

The Pistons (with the #8 overall pick and 2 2nd rounders) have had Doug Anderson in for a workout.

No Ray McCallum, though.

LaPorteAveApostle

Had to post these comments under an article quoting NBA scouts on Trey Burke, THJ, and McCallum:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130624/SPORTS0102/306240104/1004/

You know it's bad when the spam comment ranks #2 out of 5 in "least stupid".  And, way to be, Kingsley Pleasant.

In the real world, ESPN's Secret Draft Big Board ranks lil Ray #45:
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130624/SPORTS0201/306240092/1004/

LaPorteAveApostle

HC

It's a shame he wasn't in a situation with better coaching where he could've developed others parts of his game. He sure was good at what he did though.

LaPorteAveApostle

LaPorteAveApostle

GOING TO TEACH THEM A THING OR TWO ABOUT DEFENSE IN THE PAINT, SON

LaPorteAveApostle

LaPorteAveApostle

Boy, looking above, I sure chose the wrong website to put up my brilliant memes, didn't I?  that galls me.  at least a couple were worth remembering.  probably.

Anyway, saw this and wondered if maybe this brings the whole sordid chapter to a close:
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140529/METRO08/305290104/Ex-Detroit-Mercy-assistant-basketball-coach-loses-lawsuit-over-firing

BONUS:  how funny is the powerpoint caption right behind Carlos?  pretty.