• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Oakalnd's Women's Coach

Started by usc4valpo, July 21, 2013, 11:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

A pretty disturbing story on the Detroit Free Press website.  This made the headline over their bankruptcy woes.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130721/SPORTS08/307210081/oakland-university-fired-beckie-francis-special-report

wh

The coach story may have topped today's headline, but I have a feeling the bankruptcy story will have a little more staying power.  ;)

usc4valpo

Quote from: wh on July 21, 2013, 01:10:24 PMThe coach story may have topped today's headline, but I have a feeling the bankruptcy story will have a little more staying power. ;)
yes, Detroit's bankruptvy is a very interesting mess, where trying to find the causality interesting and goes in many directions.
I am sure the headline will end after today.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on July 21, 2013, 01:10:24 PMI have a feeling the bankruptcy story will have a little more staying power
eh, she managed to last 13 years! :)

wonder if PGMADO has asked the Hamlettes for their opinion.  Probably would concur, since, you know, THEY BOTH TRANSFERRED
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

The Detroit bankruptcy has further implications as it will be the the first of many.  Illinois is full of this sort of thing including the teacher's union.  Look out below!!!!!!!!!!!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Chicago, with its corrupt but sometimes effective government, has more diversity in its businesses and industries to go bankrupt like Detroit in the next 20 years. 

VULB#62

Now it has gone beyond the Midwest. 

It's now a USAToday online headliner:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2013/07/21/oakland-university-fired-coach-beckie-francis-special-report/2573613/

It is mostly a cut and paste from the DFP article.

LaPorteAveApostle

Yeah, they're both Gannett papers, and this is just one of the ways Gannett IMAGINEERS THE FUTURE (read: downsizes and saves money).

If and when, say, ESPN, or NYT, or WSJ, etc., pick it up, then you know it's really taking off.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

So Tungate, men's assistant, became the women's head.

The men replaced him with Brandon Weems.
http://www.freep.com/article/20130924/SPORTS08/309240110/oakland-university-basketball-golden-grizzlies

If that sounds familiar, as it did to me, he was high school teammates with LeBron.

...it's so sad that i know that.

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on September 24, 2013, 03:25:24 PMSo Tungate, men's assistant, became the women's head. The men replaced him with Brandon Weems. http://www.freep.com/article/20130924/SPORTS08/309240110/oakland-university-basketball-golden-grizzlies If that sounds familiar, as it did to me, he was high school teammates with LeBron. ...it's so sad that i know that.
No argument here.

Did you know that Tommy LaSorda offered to empty his bladder in the Diamonbacks pool?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

wh

Another attack on Christianity, another good person destroyed. Congratulations to the minions of the "religion of peace," and the weak-kneed "useful idiots" at Oakland.  What a pathetic state of affairs in a country whose best days are definitely behind us.

valpotx

I've held off on commenting on this firing, but can't keep my comments to myself anymore lol.  There are always players that are going to embellish the truth, because they are teenagers and early 20 year old kids.  This Bachrouche player sounds like a complete wuss to me.  If you feel that you are being pressured to go to a church you don't want to attend, then give your reasons for it and DON'T GO.  Kids seem to find reasons for why they aren't playing, and most often the reasoning is that they are not playing well.  So many people have a view of themselves that is completely the opposite of reality.  I see this very often in my field as an HR Manager. 

Monitoring your diet and conditioning is an important part of athletics, so anyone that has an issue with that shouldn't be playing sports in college.  We were weighed in several times throughout the year, were given pointers on healthy diet, and were asked to attend church services voluntarily.  As I have stated before, I went to church growing up, but made the choice that I would live a moral life regardless of religion, so do not consider myself religious anymore.  Never did I feel pressured to attend an event, even though you knew that it was Coach's preference that you go.  Any pressure you feel is created by yourself...unless someone blatantly tells you that you need to go.
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpotx on December 24, 2013, 12:00:27 PM
I've held off on commenting on this firing, but can't keep my comments to myself anymore lol.  There are always players that are going to embellish the truth, because they are teenagers and early 20 year old kids.  This Bachrouche player sounds like a complete wuss to me.  If you feel that you are being pressured to go to a church you don't want to attend, then give your reasons for it and DON'T GO.  Kids seem to find reasons for why they aren't playing, and most often the reasoning is that they are not playing well.  So many people have a view of themselves that is completely the opposite of reality.  I see this very often in my field as an HR Manager. 

Monitoring your diet and conditioning is an important part of athletics, so anyone that has an issue with that shouldn't be playing sports in college.  We were weighed in several times throughout the year, were given pointers on healthy diet, and were asked to attend church services voluntarily.  As I have stated before, I went to church growing up, but made the choice that I would live a moral life regardless of religion, so do not consider myself religious anymore.  Never did I feel pressured to attend an event, even though you knew that it was Coach's preference that you go.  Any pressure you feel is created by yourself...unless someone blatantly tells you that you need to go.

I have to be honest these are my favorite type of posts. Your story though compelling and completely self serving have zero to do with the Oakland situation.  Everyone was tougher in the past just ask them.
I actually have some connection to a former player from Oakland's womens team. Based on that I would tend to think there is some truthes on both sides of this story. It was not a very comfortable place for many. Does that rise to the need to remove the coach....I am not really sure.  Listing to both sides, I am still not sure.

historyman

Quote from: IndyValpo on December 26, 2013, 08:21:18 AMI have to be honest these are my favorite type of posts. Your story though compelling and completely self serving have zero to do with the Oakland situation.  Everyone was tougher in the past just ask them. I actually have some connection to a former player from Oakland's womens team. Based on that I would tend to think there is some truths on both sides of this story. It was not a very comfortable place for many. Does that rise to the need to remove the coach....I am not really sure.  Listing to both sides, I am still not sure.
This leads to underachieving for the kind of talent on hand and in and of itself may be a good reason for finding another coach. Many times when this happens the coach is not the president of the university's spouse. Therefore the coach is removed without revealing the reasoning for the removal. In this case, because of the timing, the need to reveal the reasoning for the coaches removal had to happen. If Francis had not been the president's wife I think her dismissal might have raised an eyebrow but the reasoning might not have been revealed.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on December 26, 2013, 09:46:15 AMMany times when this happens the coach is not the president of the university's spouse.
very, very true.

Something about the combination of the fundamentalist and Tex weighing in reminded me of the famous quote by Butch Hancock:
QuoteLife in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things: One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in Hell. The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on Earth and you should save it for someone you love.

StlVUFan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 26, 2013, 10:07:17 AMSomething about the combination of the fundamentalist and Tex weighing in reminded me of the famous quote by Butch Hancock:
Quote (selected)

Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things: One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in Hell. The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on Earth and you should save it for someone you love.

That's a gem.

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 26, 2013, 10:07:17 AM

Something about the combination of the fundamentalist and Tex weighing in reminded me of the famous quote by Butch Hancock:
QuoteLife in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things: One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in Hell. The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on Earth and you should save it for someone you love.

The poster failed to mention that Hancock is a follower of Buddhism.  Just another example of Christian bashing by a contrarian who uses his clever wit to mock things he doesn't understand. 

valpotx

Quote from: IndyValpo on December 26, 2013, 08:21:18 AM
Quote from: valpotx on December 24, 2013, 12:00:27 PM

I have to be honest these are my favorite type of posts. Your story though compelling and completely self serving have zero to do with the Oakland situation.  Everyone was tougher in the past just ask them.
I actually have some connection to a former player from Oakland's womens team. Based on that I would tend to think there is some truthes on both sides of this story. It was not a very comfortable place for many. Does that rise to the need to remove the coach....I am not really sure.  Listing to both sides, I am still not sure.

The whole point of my post, even if it wasn't apparent, was that kids are being treated like winners more and more as the decades go by, regardless of performance.  I abhor this mentality, as it just creates a bunch of entitled kids, that expect everything to be handed to them.  I am sure that you are older than me, and probably thought the same thing of my generation (I am 32), and it is MUCH worse with the teens/pre-teens now, that it has gotten sickening. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

Quote from: wh on December 26, 2013, 04:57:44 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 26, 2013, 10:07:17 AM

The poster failed to mention that Hancock is a follower of Buddhism.  Just another example of Christian bashing by a contrarian who uses his clever wit to mock things he doesn't understand. 
I dunno.  I suspect it was bashing of false Christianity, as I find the examples in the quote entirely plausible (which is not the same as finding them to be true, mind you).  That he thinks this is what Christianity is all about is of course problematic, but the christian church bears some responsibility for this misunderstanding.  There are tons of false gospels flowing freely in the national bloodstream, and many of them come from inside the church.

LaPorteAveApostle

LaPorteAveApostle

LOL now they need a new AD...and his leaving right now has nothing to do with anything other than his wife's new job...

http://www.freep.com/article/20140124/SPORTS08/301240083/oakland-golden-grizzlies-tracy-huth