• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Oakland loses key player

Started by wh, October 01, 2013, 11:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

haven't seen this before:  "due to reasons unrelated to his athletic participation or academic performance".

Soooo...I may be way off-bass with this, but that leaves: discipline, anyone?

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on October 01, 2013, 02:02:57 PM
haven't seen this before:  "due to reasons unrelated to his athletic participation or academic performance".

I always thought when you couldn't reveal it was a HIIPA issue.

It could be, and I don't want to hurt anyone's reputation at all, a substance abuse issue but obviously I have no idea.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Well, if it was HIPPA, then wouldn't he be med-shirted?  Like the recruits Saban doesn't want any more...that way they aren't shafted out of a scholarship?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

Just for the record it's HIPAA   Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on October 01, 2013, 02:02:57 PM

It said he left the program, not removed.  I'm guessing something personal, either at home or himself. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 02, 2013, 01:13:45 PMHIPAA
hungry, hungry hippa

and "left the program"...can still be "kicked off but with an honorable discharge".  ask jim tressel ;)

VULB#62

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 02, 2013, 01:13:45 PMJust for the record it's HIPAA   Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
Thanks. I knew it had a double vowel in it.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

so...a look at Oakalnd (;)

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131106/SPORTS0203/311060030/Oakland-coach-Greg-Kampe-says-move-Horizon-League-won-t-change-his-style?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CSports%7Cp

What, Wikipedia Was Unavailable?
QuoteBader, named the top returning 3-point shooter by Bleacher Report, led the nation last season with a school-record 139 3-pointers.

You Guess What Part Of This Quote Is Fabricated
Quote"I don't pay much attention to (the new teams)," said Kampe, whose team finished 16-17 last season. "I don't care who we play. We worry about Oakland. I have no plans on changing what we do. Not even finishing under .500 again, or losing to Valpo another 16 straight times."

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 06, 2013, 09:23:16 PMNot even finishing under .500 again, or losing to Valpo another 16 straight times."
This part.  Although, it would be fun to start another such league streak!

Grizz

Maybe it should say finishing under 500 when you play Carolina-UCLA_Cal-Gonzaga-Indiana-Michigan State but beating Valpo during the last 2 years when Valpo won the Horizon or beating Valpo 5 out of the last 6. Yes I believe that is what he meant.

valpotx

Still a series massively dominated by Valpo.  I had the pleasure of watching us go 10-0 against Oakland during my Valpo years  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

jorgea

Most probably something personal

talksalot

say what you will about their schedule... here is the RealTimeRippee as of 9:15pm...
RPI                     D-1    Ranking   SOS    Opp RAnk   
189     Oakland     0-7    0.4827    12     0.6436       +36 from last week
190     Valparaiso  4-4    0.4826    219     0.4768       -18 from last week

============================
45      Saint Louis    6-2    0.6060    53    

LaPorteAveApostle

actually, I think that clinches our argument.

For, if we can come up with the same RPI, who wouldn't rather come to the same result the way we have?

Put another way--if you can end up at break-even point by either losing a million dollars, or alternately winning and giving back $100...which would you, should you, choose?

which would make you feel better about the whole enterprise, and give you motivation to continue trying?

StlVUFan

A point is still kinda being missed here.

This schedule was made for the Summit League, where RPI really doesn't matter nearly as much as it does in the HL.

bbtds

Quote from: StlVUFan on December 06, 2013, 11:01:22 PM
A point is still kinda being missed here.

This schedule was made for the Summit League, where RPI really doesn't matter nearly as much as it does in the HL.

Honestly, it doesn't matter too much in either conference/league. How many upsets happen in the conference/league tournaments have a bigger impact come selection Sunday and mostly the geography of the conference/league tourney champs.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: StlVUFan on December 06, 2013, 11:01:22 PMThis schedule was made for the Summit League
I don't entirely buy that.  When did they release their schedule?  3-4 months after they were already in?   Look how long it takes us to finalize.  It's not football, where I know who UM will play in 2021 already.

Point being, even contracts made in the past can be altered.  Ask Steve Alford.  Kampe didn't postpone the hits because he knew next year will not be as good.