• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

We would like to have you back...

Started by wh, January 10, 2014, 12:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

I have no idea what this is about...please explain.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Bulter lost to DePaul last night at home to fall to 0-3 in the Big East.  It was DePaul's first conference win of the season and first conference road win since last January.  Thus, Butler has become the DePaul of the Big East.

Big East standings:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/men/conferences/bige/

This is not just a slow start.  Butler simply does not have the talent to compete in the Big East.  The "Butler Way" gibberish doesn't cut it at that level.  You have to have the horses and they don't.  "Brad" did a lousy job of parlaying their tournament success and new conference affiliations into securing higher profile recruits, then bailed at the last minute (I think knowing full well that they weren't ready for the Big East), leaving an inexperienced coach to clean up his mess-in-the-making. 

All of this said, they would still make one heck of an addition to the Horizon League if they were to return.  Of course, it will never happen.  Pridefulness and money will never allow it.

StlVUFan

Premature conclusion from small sample-size.

No one has ever gotten rich underestimating Butler.

a3uge

Quote from: wh on January 10, 2014, 02:35:13 PM
Bulter lost to DePaul last night at home to fall to 0-3 in the Big East.  It was DePaul's first conference win of the season and first conference road win since last January.  Thus, Butler has become the DePaul of the Big East.

Big East standings:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/men/conferences/bige/

This is not just a slow start.  Butler simply does not have the talent to compete in the Big East.  The "Butler Way" gibberish doesn't cut it at that level.  You have to have the horses and they don't.  "Brad" did a lousy job of parlaying their tournament success and new conference affiliations into securing higher profile recruits, then bailed at the last minute (I think knowing full well that they weren't ready for the Big East), leaving an inexperienced coach to clean up his mess-in-the-making. 

All of this said, they would still make Vanderck of an addition to the Horizon League if they were to return.  Of course, it will never happen.  Pridefulness and money will never allow it.

Oh come on. Sure Depaul at home was a bad loss, but they lost to Villanova by 3, played Xavier close, and earlier in the season lost to Oklahoma State by only 2... Its not like they're completely outmatched. Next year they have an ESPN100 recruit coming in with another 3 star, so its not like they're lacking talent either. Last year we were told Butler was done, but they were a missed 3 pointer away from beating Marquette for the second time in the season. Butler won't make the tournament this year, but calling them the next Depaul is a bit extreme.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 10, 2014, 03:53:46 PM

There is more to my thinking than simply an 0-3 start.  Besides, anyone can predict something when it becomes statistically obvious.  ;)

Time will tell.

StlVUFan

Quote from: wh on January 10, 2014, 05:41:23 PM

There is more to my thinking than simply an 0-3 start.  Besides, anyone can predict something when it becomes statistically obvious.  ;)

Time will tell.
Signature significance in Butler's start this year?  Please explain, I'm all ears.

valpo64

One of the reasons Butler gave for changing  conference affiliation was a better schedule which would help them make their goal of increasing their attendance.  However they only drew some 6,000 vs. DePaul.  That surprised me.

wh

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 10, 2014, 07:46:36 PM

Time will tell.
Signature significance in Butler's start this year?  Please explain, I'm all ears.

No offense but I'm not interested in a debate. I think their move will prove to be a mistake. You obviously have a different thought.  Like I said before, time will tell.

StlVUFan

Quote from: wh on January 11, 2014, 12:02:41 AM

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 10, 2014, 07:46:36 PM

Time will tell.

No offense but I'm not interested in a debate. I think their move will prove to be a mistake. You obviously have a different thought.  Like I said before, time will tell.

I misinterpreted your remark about statistical prediction.  My bad.

oklahomamick

Butler won it's first Big East game.  It took overtime and now they have one in win column.  With Valpo being young and the HL being down (according to out of conference results) Butler may have finished better than 4th in the HL.  (That was their last HL conference finish, 2012). 
CRUSADERS!!!

StlVUFan

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 20, 2014, 08:29:36 AM
Butler won it's first Big East game.  It took overtime and now they have one in win column.  With Valpo being young and the HL being down (according to out of conference results) Butler may have finished better than 4th in the HL.  (That was their last HL conference finish, 2012). 
Well, they actually finished in a 3-way tie for 3rd.  On the other hand they were the 5th seed.

Ah hell, split the diff ;)

wh

Last place Butler lost a home game to 8th place St. Johns 69-52 to go 1-7 in the Big East.  I watched part of the game.  They are completely outclassed in the Big East.  I seriously wonder if they'll win another game this year.  Big East presidents have got to be having big time buyer's remorse about now.     

talksalot

You wonder how they would have fared in the A-10?

a3uge

I seriously don't understand the bitterness towards Butler at this point. Butler left us for a better conference. Get over it. Be glad we dominated them before we left. To suggest they are Horizon League caliber after a half year of Big East play is childish and ignorant.

wh

Quote from: a3uge on January 26, 2014, 01:07:47 PM
I seriously don't understand the bitterness towards Butler at this point. Butler left us for a better conference. Get over it. Be glad we dominated them before we left. To suggest they are Horizon League caliber after a half year of Big East play is childish and ignorant.

Yep, guilty as charged.  Taking total delight in the misery of the most arrogant, condescending fans I have ever encountered.  Just remain humble and thank God that you're better than that.   ;)

valporun

Butler's new coach is in over his head. What would Butler be with Brad Stevens in the Big East? How much of this Butler love or Butler problem is due to the HL being just an average conference/league this season? Hell, look at Loyola! They looked to be in over their heads in the MVC, and they just won a major game against Northern Iowa yesterday at the Gentile Center in OT. I think WE, the posters of this board, are in over our heads trying to figure out why our young team loses games while Butler has taken advantage of their NCAA appearances in a better manner of showing they could handle it, unlike us. We've just adapted to the HL as best we have. We win some, we lose some. Quit trying to be Coach Drew or Coach Miller, and just be fans of college basketball.

valpo64

Doing it the Butler way just doesn't seems the best way anymore...what happened?????       Over-rated appears to be the best answers.   With their current roster of younger players it doesn't look real good for them in the immediate future either. I'm with you "wh" ...you are on the money with your comments about BU  -  I love it and I too am enjoying every minute of their suffering.  It is funny how nobody is talking about the "Butler Way" and how good they are these days.  So sad.   LOL

valpo95

Quote from: wh on January 26, 2014, 01:38:18 PM
Quote from: a3uge on January 26, 2014, 01:07:47 PM

Yep, guilty as charged.  Taking total delight in the misery of the most arrogant, condescending fans I have ever encountered.  Just remain humble and thank God that you're better than that.   ;)

The word here is schadenfreude, taking great pleasure in the misfortunes of others.  Now, it is hard exhibit such feelings for the longsuffering fans of UIC, but we all can smile a bit at those who drank the Butler Kool-aid.

More specific to the fans, I had a similar experience with Duke fans several years ago.  I still have a lot of respect for the University, the team and Coach K in particular and grew up cheering for them and watching them seemingly go to the Final Four every year.  However, about 15 years ago I went to the NCAA first round games in Charlotte, and Duke was there as a #1 or #2 seed.  They played some small conference team that was way overmatched -- Clearly Duke was expected to win and did so quite easily.  But the fans in the arena were so arrogant, rude and abusive to the opposing team and opposing fans that I could no longer openly cheer for Duke in the same way because it would mean identifying with those (insert inappropriate word here).

I'd guess most of us on this board rooted for Butler in their remarkable NCAA runs, but that doesn't mean we can't also enjoy seeing the shoe on the other foot some years later.   

ValpoFan

Butler is a very young team in a rebuilding season. They have a rookie coach with 6 freshmen on the roster in a tough conference.
Did you really expect them to take the big east by storm?
Let's revisit this thread in 5 years, and if they're still in the same position, we can welcome them back. As of now, they made the right move, they are getting better exposure and making more $$$. That's the reality.

historyman

Quote from: wh on January 26, 2014, 01:38:18 PMYep, guilty as charged.  Taking total delight in the misery of the most arrogant, condescending fans I have ever encountered.  Just remain humble and thank God that you're better than that.
Quote from: valpo95 on January 28, 2014, 08:20:15 AMThe word here is schadenfreude, taking great pleasure in the misfortunes of others.  Now, it is hard exhibit such feelings for the longsuffering fans of UIC, but we all can smile a bit at those who drank the Butler Kool-aid.
I just don't see these two as being able to exist together. If someone is humble does this person use schadenfreude? Are there any examples of Jesus using schadenfreude in the bible? I'm far from the person who should be pointing this out but it seems that when Valpo fans cling to what is very small accomplishments compared to the overall big picture it makes this board seem to not be practicing the values that I'm sure our own basketball coaches would never want our team (or fans) to practice. 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

Quote from: historyman on January 29, 2014, 08:53:37 AM
Quote from: wh on January 26, 2014, 01:38:18 PMYep, guilty as charged.  Taking total delight in the misery of the most arrogant, condescending fans I have ever encountered.  Just remain humble and thank God that you're better than that.
Quote from: valpo95 on January 28, 2014, 08:20:15 AMThe word here is schadenfreude, taking great pleasure in the misfortunes of others.  Now, it is hard exhibit such feelings for the longsuffering fans of UIC, but we all can smile a bit at those who drank the Butler Kool-aid.
I just don't see these two as being able to exist together. If someone is humble does this person use schadenfreude? Are there any examples of Jesus using schadenfreude in the bible? I'm far from the person who should be pointing this out but it seems that when Valpo fans cling to what is very small accomplishments compared to the overall big picture it makes this board seem to not be practicing the values that I'm sure our own basketball coaches would never want our team (or fans) to practice. 

The difference is, when our fans say "take great pleasure" or "total delight" as it relates to the discomfort of others, we aren't talking about someone falling on hard times financially or losing a limb or getting cancer.  We are talking about college basketball and not even discomfort to the players or school.  It is simply a good natured jab at their fans.  No one will be harmed or downtrodden or vanquished or tarred or feathered as a result of these reactions.  It's kind of like watching a utube video where some kid who thinks he can do just about anything tries to slid down some railing on a skateboard just after he told everyone that somehow his technique was so superior that he couldn't possibly hurt himself.  When the person in question then proceeds to land on the railing firmly with each leg on a different side, the result may make some of us laugh.  Did we want the poor kid to lose his ability to have children?  No.  Nonetheless, the incident is funny as much because of the pre-event bragging, not because of the possible injury.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal