• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Congratulations Travis Bader!

Started by wh, February 04, 2014, 10:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Nice article and video about Travis Bader breaking J.J. Reddick's career 3-point scoring record:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/once-lightly-recruited-travis-bader-breaks-j-j-151137595--ncaab.html

Not bad for a guy who only received one D-1 scholarship offer!  :)

Kyle321n

Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

a3uge

Good. JJ Reddick... hate that guy.

Also, fun to see Milwaukee playing a couple games in their gym that makes the ARC look like the Barclays Center.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 04, 2014, 11:22:00 AMHe's a chucker.
LOL so true.

are you allowed to hold that record if you don't shoot forty percent? ;)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Grizz

It took him three more shots then JJ to break the record, shot the same career % as JJ (40)and more important has beaten Valpo 3 straight times. Takes a real  :censored: to make a statement like that. In fact I believe he beat (2-0) your back to back championship teams. So maybe as a wishing to be journalist you should watch your fingers. Or maybe do some research

valpotx

It's a good thing that run is coming to an end soon, so enjoy saying it while you can ;).  Plus, you can't really claim that HE beat our back-to-back champs, showing all games played before this year below:

12/21/10:

18 minutes 3/3 FG, 3/3 from 3, 1/2 FT for 10 points in a 103-102 loss

12/17/11:

36 minutes, 2/9 FG, 1/5 from 3, 3/3 FT for 8 points in an 82-80 win (buzzer beater); HL champs

12/17/12:

38 minutes, 3/12 FG, 2/8 from 3, 8/9 FT for 16 points in a 70-68 win; HL champs

"Don't mess with Texas"

Kyle321n

Quote from: Grizz on February 04, 2014, 03:22:17 PMIt took him three more shots then JJ to break the record, shot the same career % as JJ (40)and more important has beaten Valpo 3 straight times. Takes a real :censored: to make a statement like that. In fact I believe he beat (2-0) your back to back championship teams. So maybe as a wishing to be journalist you should watch your fingers. Or maybe do some research

I believe this was a shot at me... but it could be at LAA since he has the Anchorman quote as his sig... But I have the time to do some research and I'll do it.

1. The chucker comment and video was a joke, but I'll stand by it. JJ Redick was a chucker at Duke. Travis Bader is a chucker. You know who else is a chucker?

2. Alright statistical break down time.

JJ Redick took 1126 threes in his career (good for 7th all time and 1st in the ACC).  59.1% of his shots were threes. But here's the fun numbers.  Over his career he took 23.62% of his teams shots and scored 24.87% of his team's points.  Now when you take in the fact that he played 17.02% of his team's minutes. That seems about in line, but it's still higher than his share.  He also shot 39.29% of his team's threes.  He shot 3.1% lower from the field but shot 3.2% better from three.

Fun side note: JJ played in every game in his career.  Durability! He also did NOTHING in terms of rebounding, assists, steals, or you know... HE ONLY SHOT THE BALL.

Travis Bader took 1151 threes in his career (good for 3rd all time and, well he's been in 2 conferences so...). 71.98% of his shots were threes. Over his career he took 21.27% of his teams shots and scored 21.20% of his teams points. Seems about right but he also played 17.01% of his team's minutes. Do these numbers look familiar?  He's shot 39.97% of his team's threes, 4.7% worse from the field and 3.5%
better from down town.

Some fun #BaderWatch: Travis also has played in every game in his career.  Durability! He also did NOTHING in terms of rebounding, assists, steals, or you know... HE ONLY SHOT THE BALL.

Wait Bader shot 2.5 more threes per game than Redick? Oh. Then you know what, I'm sorry to JJ. He's not nearly the chucker that Bader is.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Grizz on February 04, 2014, 03:22:17 PMSo maybe as a wishing to be journalist you should watch your fingers. Or maybe do some research
i chose a respectable profession. never have ever desired something like that. (er, sorry PJank)

and i did do some research:
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=jj-redick&i=1&jj-redick=career&p1=travis-bader&travis-bader=career

i mean, i could be wrong, but "the same as" seems to mean something different for you.  So maybe as a wishing to be mathematician you should watch your figures.  Or maybe do some research.

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

classof2014

Career 3 point % is much more important than number of 3's made.

Quality over quantity. There are 9 players n the league with a better 3 point % than Bader so over their 4 years if they all took the same quantity of threes combined with their high 3 point % they'd all be ahead of Bader and so would many other people.

He's a good 3 point shooter who shoots a lot, thus he makes a lot as well as misses a lot. He's the college basketball version of Craig Biggio he was around for so long that he was able to get to 3000 hits as an above average player because he played for 20 years, which would average to about 150 hits a season and about a 280 average, a good player not a great one.

Bader is averaging a decent 39-40% from 3 for his career. Nothing great and nothing that is unheard of. He just took a ton of 3s. I don't see the big deal, he's a good 3-point shooter that played every year and is averaging 11 3 point attempts a game. Likewise with Biggio he's been healthy and consistently good. Is he great? No.

Quality is always more important than quantity my friends.

Kyle321n

This chart sums up how one dimensional they both truly are. 

LaPorteAveApostle

In all honesty, congratulations to him.  Any time you have an NCAA career record, that's something they can never take away; even when it's broken, he'll always have had a piece of it.  And that's how you get a career record, by only doing one thing, but doing it well.

I just like pointing out that 40.05% is not the same as 40.58%.  I mean, if it is, then sure, Grizz, let us conduct a veritable plethora of financial transactions together.

I also really like that I can troll opposing fans from the comfort of our own board. 

For instance:  "so...if you're a middle-of-the-pack team with a senior-dominated roster--behind our freshman-heavy one--what exactly does that say about your long-term prospects in the Horizon League?"

etc.

I once contemplated going on USF's board, assuming they have one, and thanking them for LaVonte Dority, but, you know, all that work, passwords, screennames, avatars, yawn.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 04, 2014, 04:15:59 PMYou know who else is a chucker?
graphic didn't come through.

wondering if were punxsutawney phil.

EDIT:  ah, i see.  more of a "clunker" though :)

Grizz

I'm sure that if he played for good ol Valpo you would all feel the same way....as LVD for MVP or 2014 saying that Williams will win Freshman of the year.

LaPorteAveApostle

I dunno.  Kramer and Seinfeld were good friends with George and they still told him he was a chucker.

And LVD will be the MVP if he puts together a second half like his first (which would mean beating GB again).  Simply stunning.

Who should be HL FOY?  I haven't noticed many other candidates.

Mostly because I don't go to your boards and troll you there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z4m4lnjxkY

HC

Felder for OU and Williams for Valpo are the tops, and both run the point! As far as if Bader were here...he wouldn't be anywhere near the record. Great job, and good for him for sticking it to those who passed him by  8-)

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: HC on February 04, 2014, 05:30:54 PMAs far as if Bader were here...he wouldn't be anywhere near the record.
BoganandBoggsnoddingfiercelywitharmscrossed.gif

Thanks for the tip on Kahlil.  Forgotten about him--doesn't play like one.

a3uge

Let me get this straight... an Oakland fan is offended that someone called a guy that leads all of NCAA D1 in 3 point attempts this year, lead the league in 2012, and was 2nd in 2013 a "chucker"?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on February 04, 2014, 05:43:45 PMLet me get this straight... an Oakland fan is offended that someone called a guy that leads all of NCAA D1 in 3 point attempts this year, lead the league in 2012, and was 2nd in 2013 a "chucker"?

zvillehaze

Quote from: wh on February 04, 2014, 10:38:22 AM
Nice article and video about Travis Bader breaking J.J. Reddick's career 3-point scoring record:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/once-lightly-recruited-travis-bader-breaks-j-j-151137595--ncaab.html

Not bad for a guy who only received one D-1 scholarship offer!  :)

Agree ... quite an accomplishment, IMO

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on February 04, 2014, 10:38:22 AMNot bad for a guy who only received one D-1 scholarship offer! 
Who was it?  Western Michigan?

oklahomamick

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 04, 2014, 04:51:31 PMFor instance:  "so...if you're a middle-of-the-pack team with a senior-dominated roster--behind our freshman-heavy one--what exactly does that say about your long-term prospects in the Horizon League?"

I would like to add that the Grizz could easily be 2-7 and in next to last place.  If it wasn't for a buzzer beater to UIC (a team who hasn't won a DI-home game in a loooong time) and a come from behind win in the closing minutes against Valpo.  They are fortunate not to be 2-7.....
CRUSADERS!!!

HC

He made a lot of 3's tonight...too bad nobody on his team played any defense. Valpo really could've used a CSU loss tonight.

oklahomamick

Quote from: HC on February 06, 2014, 07:59:34 PMValpo really could've used a CSU loss tonight.

I was thinking the same.  As much as I like Oakland losing, we need CSU to lose. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

Bader's performance earned an extended ESPN highlight
"Don't mess with Texas"

Kyle321n

Quote from: valpotx on February 06, 2014, 11:03:50 PM
Bader's performance earned an extended ESPN highlight

Charlie Lee's play should have gotten the ESPN highlight by himself.  12 of the last 17 CSU points and 6 dimes to go along with 31 points.  Bader is a nice shooter, but again he did NOTHING but hit treys. But no one played defense in that game