• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Oakland, the best 8th place team in the country!

Started by vu72, February 16, 2014, 09:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

So our pals near Detroit take another heartbreaker, losing to WSU at home, 72-71, after blowing a 10 point lead with 2:13 to go.  BTW, Wright State held Bader to one basket and it wasn't a 3.  I think that was only thw second game all year where he didn't make a 3 (Michigan State).
so now Oakland has  a 5-8 in conference but, of those 13 games, 5 have been decided by a combined 18 points.  Who wants to play these guys in the tourney??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

Looks like it is time for everybody's favorite and his own also, Coach Kampe to tell us all about it.  Wasn't it interesting that with no
Bader 3's the game was that close.

LaPorteAveApostle

i thought you were wh, the VFZ Master of Sarcasmonies, but you might be serious...

so perhaps this is the time to point out that they're 3-8 against teams not named "detroit" and 3 of their wins have been by a single point.  beating us by 5 was the 2nd biggest blowout win of 2014 for them.

they could just as easily be 2-11, and then they'd REALLY have a reason to storm the court vs. UIC.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

oklahomamick

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 17, 2014, 12:21:47 PMthey could just as easily be 2-11, and then they'd REALLY have a reason to storm the court vs. UIC.

Well said.  I also made a point several weeks ago that Oakland's conference record could easily be a train wreck if not for a couple things going their way.  With that said, they are a dangerous team despite their record.  They are capable of losing to anyone but also capable of beating the better teams in the HL due to the chucker....
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

From what I've seen Oakland has a very competitive starting 5.  The just don't appear to have enough depth. Some of their starters play basically the entire game. That may have worked in the Summit, but it's a tough way to go in this league with teams like WSU and CSI beating on you for 40 minutes.

Grizz

Maybe you don't know, maybe you forgot or maybe you don't care but to set the record straight, Oakland lost 4 scholarship players before the first game to season ending injuries. Their starting point guard who averaged 9 points a game, our back up center 6-9 who would be a senior, and two freshman that Camper has said both would have played major minutes, a 6-7 four man and a scoring guard. So we are redshirting a transfer that means we only have 8 scholarship players. At the end of the WSU game with 4 Min's to play we had 2 walk INS in.  Yes, you have to be deeper in this league but at the tip off breakfest Camper told everyone that with this depleted roster finding any wins in this league would be tough. Beating Detroit twice and Alpo once has made it a good first year. Next year we will be picked 8Th and I would be willing to wager we finish in the top 4. I saw the two freshman who got hurt in practice and I'm not saying they are as good as your 4, but they are good. Put them with Kay and we will be at the top of the league way soon then most think

Grizz

Sorry auto correct called you Alpo instead of Valpo. Did not mean that, of couse I know it's Kampe

valpotx

We welcome any competition, as if our team stays together over the next 2-3 seasons, we should be in the top 2 each year. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on February 17, 2014, 03:00:25 PM
We welcome any competition, as if our team stays together over the next 2-3 seasons, we should be in the top 2 each year. 

Top 2 might be a bit high, I'd say top 25 for sure!   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on February 17, 2014, 03:07:25 PMTop 2 might be a bit high, I'd say top 25 for sure!
lol!

Quote from: Grizz on February 17, 2014, 02:19:27 PMoff breakfest Camper told everyone

at least it doesn't autocorrect to "mein Kämpf"

seems coach says a lot of things, doesn't he?  also love the epic troll here.  probably a detroit fan, but if it's one of you confess it and wear a crown of glory:

lemme repeat that:
Quote[kamper:]"over the last six years, we have the best or second best record in the country in the month of February.  I see no reason why that is going to change."

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Quote from: Grizz on February 17, 2014, 02:19:27 PM
Maybe you don't know, maybe you forgot or maybe you don't care but to set the record straight, Oakland lost 4 scholarship players before the first game to season ending injuries. Their starting point guard who averaged 9 points a game, our back up center 6-9 who would be a senior, and two freshman that Camper has said both would have played major minutes, a 6-7 four man and a scoring guard. So we are redshirting a transfer that means we only have 8 scholarship players. At the end of the WSU game with 4 Min's to play we had 2 walk INS in.  Yes, you have to be deeper in this league but at the tip off breakfest Camper told everyone that with this depleted roster finding any wins in this league would be tough. Beating Detroit twice and Alpo once has made it a good first year. Next year we will be picked 8Th and I would be willing to wager we finish in the top 4. I saw the two freshman who got hurt in practice and I'm not saying they are as good as your 4, but they are good. Put them with Kay and we will be at the top of the league way soon then most think

You don't have to convince me of anything about your prospects for success in the HL. Both Valpo and Oakland did amazingly well in the Mid Con/Summit despite all the recruiting disadvantages we shared - facilities, long arduous road trips to places unknown, etc. As competitive as Oakland is now, it shouldn't take long before you're competing for HL championships. I do hope Kampe backs away from playing so many best of the best majors. That said I'm glad he doesnt share the philosophy of some coaches in this league of playing the crappiest OOC schedule they can possibly put together.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on February 18, 2014, 08:56:35 AMI do hope Kampe backs away from playing so many best of the best majors.
he has spake thus, often
No, I hope to back it down from 6-7 BCS games to about 4. We're still going to try and play a difficult schedule against great BCS teams, in the toughest, best arenas in the country, just not as many in a given year.

http://live.freep.com/Event/Chat_with_Oakland_U_basketball_coach_Greg_Kampe_5?Page=0

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 18, 2014, 01:20:49 PM
Quote from: wh on February 18, 2014, 08:56:35 AMI do hope Kampe backs away from playing so many best of the best majors.
he has spake thus, often.

I know that. I needed a segue for my shot at Donlon, Moore and Jeter, the HL's 3 resume building strategists (albeit not very good ones).

LaPorteAveApostle