• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Milwaukee Basketball Banned from Postseason Play Next Year

Started by valpopal, April 09, 2014, 05:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

HL better figure out a good 8 team tourney format because 2015 will be 8 (Milwaukee out) and 2016 will be 8 too (UIC out). 
CRUSADERS!!!

LaPorteAveApostle

Well, barring ducky's cool idea, probably what we can expect from these people is the least amount of change possible.

5/8, winner plays 4, THAT winner plays 1.
6/7, winner plays 3, THAT winner plays 2.
Winner of each half plays in the title game.  Only change is that now 4 gets a bye (and one fewer 1st rd game).

I'm not saying that is what I want, just what is most likely from the suits at corporate.

(Which, why is the girls' tourney a 1/8, 2/7, 3...never mind)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

justducky

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 13, 2014, 09:43:19 PM
HL better figure out a good 9 team tourney format because 2015 will be 9 (Milwaukee out) and 2016 will be 9 too (UIC out). 
Unless I have missed something we are a 9 team league now and with UWM out next year and maybe UIC the year after we would sit at 8 for both tournaments.

I don't have time to get into detail and I do not know how to link it but ducky variation #1 (which gives a 9 team format suggestion) is buried somewhere in the Neutral Site topic [I think]. If you didn't get a chance to read it a month ago when it was posted it should be in the On the Horizon category and you will very likely either love it or hate it.

wh

I know I'm late to the party on this topic, but a quote attributed to NCAA President Mark Emmert in a story I just read caught my eye:

The overall four-year APR score across Division I was 974, a one-point increase from last year. Scores are calculated by individual D-I teams based on eligibility and graduation and retention rates. A minimum four-year average score of 900, or 930 over the most recent two years, is required for postseason participation. The overall four-year APR score across Division I was 974, a one-point increase from last year. Scores are calculated by individual D-I teams based on eligibility and graduation and retention rates. A minimum four-year average score of 900, or 930 over the most recent two years , is required for postseason participation. The minimum required APR scores will increase to 930 over four years or 940 over two years, starting with the 2014-15 postseason. The cutoff is equivalent to a 50 percent graduation rate.

"If you can't graduate half your student-athletes, you shouldn't be worried about playing in championships or tournaments," said NCAA President Mark Emmert. "There's more important things for you to be focused on."

I'm anything but an APR expert, but if what's going on at Milwaukee (and UIC) is that "the equivalent" of only half their players are graduating (or anywhere close to that), that is inexcusably pathetic. This is not a new system. The Milwaukee athletic department, Jeter, his assts., the players - everyone - knew how it worked and what was at stake, and yet they couldn't comply like the rest of us? 

This is a systemic failure that reeks of indifference, lack of discipline and accountability at every level, and just plain laziness.

valporun

wh, coaching staffs should be fired for not meeting this APR guidelines, regardless of the level or sport. How Rob Jeter and his staff wasn't fired for this is beyond me. It's not like they inherited a dumb players, but because of what basketball means to so many schools and athletic departments, the grades and classroom attendance seems to get pushed under the rug. Change needs to happen in how ALL athletes are held accountable for not going to class or not doing the work required to pass these classes. Also, the NCAA needs to mandate that athletes must be enrolled in courses throughout various departments, not just classes specifically put together to keep them eligible with little or no work necessary during the subsequent sport's season.

StlVUFan

Quote from: valporun on April 22, 2014, 11:55:27 AMAlso, the NCAA needs to mandate that athletes must be enrolled in courses throughout various departments

When I saw this, I couldn't help remembering something about my College experience suggesting that this kind of practice may go on at universities much more widely than just for student athletes.  Suffice it to say that if I had had to fulfill my EE requirements for my BS-Comp Sci from Rose-Hulman by taking EE courses with the EE majors, I probably wouldn't have graduated.  The only athletics I participated in was Soccer, and it wasn't a varsity sport when I attended (plus this was Division III anyway).  But every EE course I took was taught specifically for Comp Sci majors, and my feeling was that they always took it a little bit easy on us.  My final EE course I barely passed in part because my prof was a softy and knew I already had a job.

Just idly wondering if this kind of thing isn't more generally just a part of the College culture, not simply limited to athletics.  It probably is most egregious when it comes to the student athletes, I would admit.

valpotx

I can't speak for other schools, but every basketball player that had classes with me took them very seriously.  Greg Tonagel and Antti Nikkila were prime examples of the quality student athletes Valpo attracts.  The same goes for my teammates and other student athletes that were in my classes.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Quote from: valporun on April 22, 2014, 11:55:27 AM
Also, the NCAA needs to mandate that athletes must be enrolled in courses throughout various departments, not just classes specifically put together to keep them eligible with little or no work necessary during the subsequent sport's season.

I believe that in addition to the APR forumula, students (er, student-athletes) must also demonstrate progress toward a recognized degree program. A series of courses designed to keep a jock eligible, IMO, would not satisfy that requirement.  But (and it's a big but) the NCAA cannot audit every single college/university's curriculum to enable them to pass judgment, so colleges can get away with stuff until something like UCONN or UWM pops up, then they can rummage around.

Pathfinder

http://english111handouts.blogspot.com/2007/09/university-days-by-james-thurber.html

A favorite story by James Thurber, who attended college in the 1910s.

Excerpt:
"... He was a tackle on the football team, named Bolenciewcz. At that time Ohio State University had one of the best football teams in the country, and Bolenciecwcz was one of its outstanding stars. In order to be eligible to play it was necessary for him to keep up in his studies, a very difficult matter, for while he was not dumber than an ox he was not any smarter. Most of his professors were lenient and helped him along. None gave him more hints in answering questions or asked him simpler ones than the economics professor..."

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

bbtds

It comes down to the ethics of the university/college.

Does the school teach the students to be good learners for the benefit of the student

or does the school make things easy for the student or let them off easy on classes/assignments that seem difficult for the ultimate benefit of the university/college?

ValpoFan

As a VU professor I can guarantee you that student-athletes are NOT held to any lower standards whatsoever here in Valpo. The only thing they get away with is missing a class and making up late work if they are competing on the road.

valpopal

EIGHT TEAMS FACE APR POSTSEASON BAN

"The 2012-13 Academic Progress Rate scores were announced by the NCAA today for all its member institutions. This year marked the new standard for qualifying for postseason competition and eight schools found themselves below the more stringent 930 multiyear mark. Alabama State, Appalachian State, Florida A&M, Houston Baptist, Lamar, San Jose State, Central Arkansas and Milwaukee, will all sit out the 2014-15 postseason by failing to meet the four-year average of 930...."

Article also lists UIC among schools that did not meet the threshold and face lesser punishments:

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2014/5/14/5717794/apr-postseason-ban-2014-2015-college-basketball-lamar-milwaukee-appalachian-state

wh

Quote from: valpopal on May 14, 2014, 02:10:02 PM
EIGHT TEAMS FACE APR POSTSEASON BAN

"The 2012-13 Academic Progress Rate scores were announced by the NCAA today for all its member institutions. This year marked the new standard for qualifying for postseason competition and eight schools found themselves below the more stringent 930 multiyear mark. Alabama State, Appalachian State, Florida A&M, Houston Baptist, Lamar, San Jose State, Central Arkansas and Milwaukee, will all sit out the 2014-15 postseason by failing to meet the four-year average of 930...."

Article also lists UIC among schools that did not meet the threshold and face lesser punishments:

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2014/5/14/5717794/apr-postseason-ban-2014-2015-college-basketball-lamar-milwaukee-appalachian-state

Proverbs 13:20 ESV

Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm.

Here's hoping for an MVC invitation...

valpopal

For those curious, Milwaukee's men's basketball APR for last year was 908, and UIC was 926. Valpo last year was at 980. (For comparison, Valpo's baseball team was at 990.) These are combination four-year results. A perfect score is 1000. Valpo's baseball, men's cross country, men's golf, men's tennis, women's basketball, women's cross country, women's swimming, women's tennis, women's track, and volleyball had perfect scores of 1000 for the single year of 2012-2013.

Here is the list of multiyear scores for Valpo basketball in recent years:

2007-2008  950
2008-2009  935
2009-2010  951
2010-2011  968
2011-2012  963
2012-2013  980

valpotx

Wow, those are some terrible schools to be mentioned with, in regards to academic reputation.  I apologize to anyone that might have attended these schools, or have relatives that did, but they are not good schools....
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Three of the schools mentioned come from the South Land.  Abiline Christian should also be on that list, making it four schools from that conference.  Another reason for ORU to jump ship. 

I've said this before, it would be nice to have a conference made of private schools with similar academics.  A smaller version of the Big East.  When asked, I don't like telling people what state commuter schools are in Valpo's conference. 
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

Quote from: valpotx on May 14, 2014, 11:06:10 PM
Wow, those are some terrible schools to be mentioned with, in regards to academic reputation.  I apologize to anyone that might have attended these schools, or have relatives that did, but they are not good schools....

Apologizing to people that attended San Jose State? That's kind of stupid.

valpotx

That's the only one I wasn't sure of, as I know nothing about their academic reputation. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpopal on May 14, 2014, 02:10:02 PMAppalachian State, ... will ... sit out the 2014-15 postseason by failing to meet the four-year average of 930...."
OBLIGATORY
HOT HOT HOT
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Wasn't it Appalachian State that beat Michigan in football a few years back?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Appalachian_State_vs._Michigan_football_game

Appalachian is HOT HOT HOT!!!!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on May 15, 2014, 06:01:25 PMWasn't it Appalachian State that beat Michigan in football a few years back?
I'M NOT LISTENING

NOBODY'S HEARING NOTHING

EddieCabot

Quote from: wh on May 14, 2014, 02:22:44 PM
Proverbs 13:20 ESV

Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm.

Here's hoping for an MVC invitation...

Amen.  Hard to believe a few people on this board stated a year ago that Valpo would be better off staying in the Horizon than moving to the MVC.  If other Horizon schools don't step things up (athletically and academically) soon, Valpo should start looking for their next home (assuming they haven't already).

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: EddieCabot on May 15, 2014, 08:30:14 PMHard to believe a few people on this board stated a year ago that Valpo would be better off staying in the Horizon than moving to the MVC.
I don't know that anyone said THAT.

Quote from: wh on March 31, 2013, 07:12:02 PMAs someone who has not been in favor of moving to the MVC, call me concerned.
er...well...maybe one person ;)

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 15, 2014, 08:57:25 PM
Quote from: EddieCabot on May 15, 2014, 08:30:14 PMHard to believe a few people on this board stated a year ago that Valpo would be better off staying in the Horizon than moving to the MVC.
I don't know that anyone said THAT.

Quote from: wh on March 31, 2013, 07:12:02 PMAs someone who has not been in favor of moving to the MVC, call me concerned.
er...well...maybe one person ;)

With such a good memory for something I said over a year ago, I'm surprised that you apparently forgot what I said 5 weeks ago when this APR thing first surfaced:

I'm starting to rethink my support for Valpo remaining in the HL.  If Missouri State moves to the Sun Belt, it could reopen an opportunity to move to the MVC.  That said, I recall that last year's MVC search committee was highly unimpressed with our present athletic facilities - and the lack of a commitment by the university to enhancements beyond a long term wish list.  Basically, nothing has changed since.  I doubt that they would be impressed that the university has committed to installing a new track.  Men's basketball is the straw that stirs the drink.

So, here are my thoughts in proper context.  When reports surfaced a year ago that Valpo was being considered for the MVC there were those on this board who expressed that the MVC provided a better "academic institution fit" for Valpo than did the Horizon League.  That line of thinking seemed a little too "elitist" for my taste; thus, I discounted its relevance and defended staying in the HL strictly on an athletic basis.  At the time there were no specific academic failures by other HL institutions that could reflect negatively on Valpo's image and reputation.

The situation is different now.  The APR failures at Milwaukee and UIC reflect negatively on the entire Horizon League. Valparaiso University is a business in a highly competitive field. It charges top dollar for its services. It receives no federal funding to "bridge the gap" during lean times.  It rises and falls at all times on its standing as an academic institution of the highest quality.  It cannot afford to risk having its reputation damaged - even in the slightest - by the irresponsible actions of other institutions in the same "fraternity" over which it has no control.  As I mentioned in another post, recent embarrassing issues are becoming epidemic in the Horizon League - the lack of academic accountability ay Milwaukee and UIC, the Detroit athletic department sex scandal, the bullying accusations at Green Bay, the firing of the women's basketball coach at Oakland, and the revolving door of failed athletic directors at Milwaukee. 

Valparaiso University needs a new set of friends.

Note: For those who may have read my original post, I changed it to hopefully better reflect the serious nature of this issue...       

LaPorteAveApostle

I know. You were just biden your time because someone else evolved you there first, perhaps? ;)