• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Opponents Scoreboard 2014-2015 Season

Started by motowntitan, November 02, 2014, 09:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

Already a pretty good day for the HL and now we need to cap it off on a positive note. Is it too early to think that this is the start of a comeback? In the Butler days it always seemed like HL OOC success would breed further HL success. I wikes it!!

a3uge

Great win for the Horizon. Can't say I'm not jealous, but I still think they'll fumble in the HL tourney again.

justducky

Wright St over Belmont again, plus UIC over UCF!

The HL maybe could get back to 500 on Saturday and it has been a while since that has happened!

wh

Two very nice wins for the league tonight - UIC over UCF and WSU over Belmont for the 2nd time. Add to that our drubbing of Murray State, and the HL has dominated the OVC's top 2 teams. After a horrendous 4-17 start, the HL has gone an impressive 30-20 against D-1 opponents. We are currently ranked 12th in conference RPI, 1 position behind the league that is way way way no comparison shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath better than the HL.

Kyle321n

Looking at the conferences behind us, there's some big name, usually multi-bid conferences behind us. I know C-USA has dropped like a stone, but still kind of cool to be ahead of them, the MAC has been multi-bid leagues in the recent past and have some powerful schools still in them, the Ivy behing so high is surprising, but I like it. Personally I'd love for the Horizon to reach A10 status, but I think that's a pipe dream.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

Grizz

Kyle, ok, I bit my tongue  when you said think Oakland as you compared us to Drake, a really  :censored: team, but you come on our message board and ask us to read your writings, like you are a basketball expert. It would really help if you knew something about the facts before you make statements. I'll give you some facts. The MAC has been a 1 bid league since 1999. Kent and Miami went in 99. 1 team for the last 15 years. In fact the last time the MAC has had a kid drafted was 2003. Kris Kamen from Central Michigan. Even the Summit league has had 3 guys drafted since the MAC has had one. (Hill-Benson-Walters)  The Horizon league has had a kid drafted 5 years in a row, and Sykes will make it 6. In the last 6 years the Horizon league has 14 NCAA wins while the MAC has 3. Hard for me to take you serious when you say stuff like you do. Have you seen Oakland play this year? How can you compare them to Drake when you haven't seen them.  Now before you all get mad at me for coming on here and saying this, I'm only doing so because this guy has come on our board and asked us to read him. So with that we don't take him as a fan. Fans are allowed to say dumb stuff, I do all the time.

bbtds

To me it seems like the Eagles, Chips and Broncs could be better than the Wolverines!!! (three exclamations only)

But in the end the HL is a better bb conference then the MAC.

EDIT: I rethought that. The Eags, Chips and Broncs ARE better than the Wolverines!!!

wh

We struggled for our first 3 years in the HL. We became a serious contender in Y4 and finally won championships in Y5 and Y6.  I wouldn't be surprised if Oakland follows a similar path. They have and have had a talented starting 5 and are capable of beating anyone in the league any time any where. They just don't go deep enough. Plain and simple their key players simply play too many minutes to be consistently successful in what is one of the most physical, defensive-minded leagues in D-1. Once they start recruiting a little deeper, they'll be right there. They were and still are a very good addition to the league.

a3uge

Wait, I thought Drake was from Canada, not Oakland. You sure you're not thinking of Tupac?

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on December 12, 2014, 12:44:33 PM
Wait, I thought Drake was from Canada, not Oakland. You sure you're not thinking of Tupac?

Drake's big men are projects. Until they get better or the Bulldogs get better big men (not an easy task as we well know) they will be down.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on December 12, 2014, 12:58:42 PMDrake's big men are projects.
Wait, I thought they were FROM the projects.  You sure you're not thinking of Biggie?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 12, 2014, 02:19:19 PM
Quote from: bbtds on December 12, 2014, 12:58:42 PMDrake's big men are projects.
Wait, I thought they were FROM the projects.  You sure you're not thinking of Biggie?

If it was a project it was a Danish project.  Jacob Enevold is their 7 footer and almost completely useless. They also have a 6'11" freshman from Dunkerton, IA who, with a whole lot of progress, might be serviceable by his junior year, Kory Kuenstling. 

And yes, I know you're joking about rappers.

justducky

Detroit hanging around with Wichita St! I am going to to 360 to see if I can find it.

wh

Murray State (6-4) won at Evansville (6-3) 81-79 for their 4th straight win since losing to us at Nashville. 

valpotx

Look at how amazing the MVC is in their 1 spot higher RPI rating.
"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

We open the HL on 1/2 at the ORena... so what does Oakland have on their schedule between now and then... on ESPNU right now, down 20 to Michigan State in the second half; then...
@ Arizona
@ Pitt
@ Clemson
@ Maryland

They are... 3-6 (D-1) following the loss to the Spartans...   I'm seeing them 3-10 when we get them

we are 10-2, and have powerful IPFW (Undefeated at home this year); Goshen Maple Leaf(ves) who are 8-3 going into a tournament mid-week at Madonna; and then James Madison whose RPI fell 30 points (to 135) last night after a 13-point loss to #261 East Carolina.     

SO... who's going to be more ready to play the HL schedule?

vu72

Quote from: talksalot on December 14, 2014, 08:25:42 PM
We open the HL on 1/2 at the ORena... so what does Oakland have on their schedule between now and then... on ESPNU right now, down 20 to Michigan State in the second half; then...
@ Arizona
@ Pitt
@ Clemson
@ Maryland

They are... 3-6 (D-1) following the loss to the Spartans...   I'm seeing them 3-10 when we get them

we are 10-2, and have powerful IPFW (Undefeated at home this year); Goshen Maple Leaf(ves) who are 8-3 going into a tournament mid-week at Madonna; and then James Madison whose RPI fell 30 points (to 135) last night after a 13-point loss to #261 East Carolina.     

SO... who's going to be more ready to play the HL schedule?

I see two very difficult games coming up.  First is IPFW because we always seem to struggle aginst them.  Next is James Madison.  Who scheduled this game must have been nuts.  We play Saturday, sunday and then fly to Virginia for a Monday night game.  We will have tired legs and playing a pretty solid team.  We could lose two out of three which would put us in a bad light going into the league play.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on December 15, 2014, 11:20:06 AMWe play Saturday, sunday and then fly to Virginia for a Monday night game.
I'll just say I think you need to take another gander at the schedule...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 15, 2014, 12:14:11 PM
Quote from: vu72 on December 15, 2014, 11:20:06 AMWe play Saturday, sunday and then fly to Virginia for a Monday night game.

Opps.  My apologies to any schedulers who might have been offended by my post.   :-*
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on December 15, 2014, 01:30:43 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 15, 2014, 12:14:11 PM
Opps.  My apologies to any schedulers who might have been offended by my post.   :-*

Boy, I know how that feels.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

historyman

I would have gone with "Ooplands, two Opplands"

or "Alley Opp"

or "The Nashville of Germany, Opplyland"
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

bbtds

You could say that Nürnberg has a monoppoly on Opplands.

LaPorteAveApostle

oh brother.

here's how I imagine it is if/when the two of you ever get together.

wh

The same E. Kentucky team that we beat at the beginning of the month beat 18th ranked Miami Fl. tonight by 28 points.  That certainly takes some of the luster off of GB's win over Miami the other day.