• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Your Newest Horizon League Transfer

Started by motowntitan, January 05, 2015, 10:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motowntitan

a3uge

"Walker hit his girlfriend four times in the ribs and dragged her by the arms to throw her out of his Texas dorm room."

Is there anything foul to Oakland?

valpotx

How the F can it be a misunderstanding that you hit a woman in the ribs 4 times, and drag her around by her arms?  What a scumbag, and Oakland should be ashamed for letting him be on their basketball team in the hopes that they 'scored' a good transfer on the court.  This guy is a complete P-word to me, and should be locked away.
"Don't mess with Texas"

momofalex

Not exactly the kind of student you hope your son will be a teammate with or roommate with when you send him off to school.  :(

Kyle321n

Ugh I remember his story when he was released by Texas. Really talented player, but the kind of guy who should probably be playing cell yard ball, not appearing on a Horizon League court.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

LaPorteAveApostle

remember all that jargle from Grizz about how we're 'the same as Oakland, we have the same mission, we are both trying to produce "roll models"?'

File this under Things Valpo Would Never Ever Do for $1000 and book it.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

I can understand having a 'misunderstanding' with your girlfriend.  I can understand things getting heated verbally.  But to actually hit a woman four times, then drag her by the arms - I'll never understand.  For his own sake, I hope that Martez Walker gets the help, guidance and mentoring needed to learn that those values and morals he may have been accustomed to when younger do not apply in sports, education or anywhere in his future.

I don't envy any of the coaches at the college level - you just don't know exactly what experiences these kids may have had as youngsters that shape their values, morals and mindset.  You can do some homework - getting to know the player, his family and home life, even some background work with HS teachers - but you never know everything about that kid. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Also, showing you who wears the pants at Oakland, the AAD said "I've been informed that Martez is here on his own accord, paying his own way".
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

FWalum

Quote from: covufan on January 06, 2015, 11:46:29 AMI can understand having a 'misunderstanding' with your girlfriend.  I can understand things getting heated verbally.  But to actually hit a woman four times, then drag her by the arms - I'll never understand.  For his own sake, I hope that Martez Walker gets the help, guidance and mentoring needed to learn that those values and morals he may have been accustomed to when younger do not apply in sports, education or anywhere in his future.
I second your thoughts covufan.  We took in a number of second chance players while I coached.  Most had to do with things like stealing, team rules violations and minor drug use.  Some of them worked out and many didn't. Some were big distractions and others learned to fit in.  We tried to be good role models and make our team into a family and despite being a public school we made Christian values a priority. These kids knew that this was a second chance and we did not stand for any shenanigans. Our best player, and one of the best I ever had the privilege of coaching, was a second chance kid named Anthony Jones.  He was in the wrong place at the wrong time and based on his exemplary behavior with us, I believe that he was innocent of the accusations made towards him by his previous school. He wasn't the only success story but we also had many who did not make it.  And while I like the fact that VU places a high value on character, I do think that at least for us it was worth giving some kids that second chance. 

Anthony has had an extremely successful career in Europe.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

I remember Anthony was your avatar picture for a while!

I certainly don't think this kid should never get another chance.  I would find it hard to imagine a person (other than Jesus and his mother) who could stand to be judged on their worst moment.  And maybe even Oakland is the place for that, close to home, yada.  (I don't get the feeling from motowntitan that he's just upset Kampe beat them to the punch.)

But to go from high major to mid-major does not seem like a fall commensurate with the offense, even if he is paying his freight (for now).

As they say in the NFL draft, though, "all it takes is one team to fall in love with you".

bbtds

"Kampe, he stuck me through all of this. He knew it was all a misunderstanding, even when the situation happened," Walker said. "He's been there with me. I've been talking to him for a while."

If I was Oliver Luck, in his new position of regulatory affairs VP, I would want to look into just exactly how long Martez Walker has been "talking to him (Kampe) for a while." Was Greg Kampe talking to a Texas student athlete while he was enrolled and playing for UT? Kampe just may run into some Luck and it may be some of the bad kind.

Also, great, we'll have another Walker in next year's Valpo/Oakland games for a total of 3. Three out of 10 starters named Walker may be too much for that announcing crew. They couldn't even keep the two Walkers for Valpo straight.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on January 06, 2015, 07:50:56 PMThey couldn't even keep the two Walkers for Valpo straight
And Jaz Walker for our WBB. 

(Which one gets the "Sky" nickname?)

valpo64

Once again it's the same old King Kampe...another feather in his cap.  Now he is a social worker beyond reproach.  And you say OU wants to be  like Valpo in how we operate?????????   Really!           Isn't it great to have so many of these "projects" in the Horizon League.  Maybe OU is trying to keep up with their neighbor Detroit.  These kind of situations appear to be happening on a regular annual basis in the HL.

oklahomamick

Quote from: valpo64 on January 06, 2015, 08:57:33 PMOnce again it's the same old King Kampe...another feather in his cap.  Now he is a social worker beyond reproach.  And you say OU wants to be  like Valpo in how we operate?????????   Really!           Isn't it great to have so many of these "projects" in the Horizon League.  Maybe OU is trying to keep up with their neighbor Detroit.  These kind of situations appear to be happening on a regular annual basis in the HL.

Not to mention two of their players last year were suspended because of rape alligations. 
CRUSADERS!!!

LaPorteAveApostle

I was restraining myself from making a kampe meme saying "well now that duke mondy's gone, dante williams needs somebody to party with" but i didn't.  #proud

covufan

If it were me, being a coach of a mid-major near where a kid like this called home, I could see opening a dialogue and maybe giving some guidance.  I don't think I could take a kid like this almost immediately after such an incident.  You would need to form some kind of relationship before you could even begin to evaluate his remorse, changes in attitude, etc.  If he went to a junior college of some kind, showed remorse for his actions, apologized to the woman in question, apologized to the Texas staff for the problems he caused, attended some counseling, volunteered his time to kids, homeless, etc., and continued to show a desire to reestablish himself into both school and basketball, and after much dialogue I truly felt that he had made a positive change in his life goals and values, I could see accepting him onto the team.  Forgiveness is an important part of the process, but one needs to show that they desire forgiveness.  By accepting Walker into the Oakland family so soon after the incident, even before the judicial process is finished, Oakland is putting the priorities of the Men's basketball program before those of every female student.  If someone else at Oakland had done the same thing, including leaving school after the second arrest, would they be allowed to re-enter the student population so quickly?  If not, why was he accepted so quickly right now?

LaPorteAveApostle

Excellent point.  The only reason a second chance has been extended to him is because he can fire an orange sphere through a metal rim at a higher rate than the general public.

bbtds

Don't forget the story of Artis Cleveland, a transfer to Oakland from Mississippi Valley State.
He was suspended indefinitely from the Oakland team at the beginning of this season.

<a href="http://www.goldengrizzlies.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/101014aac.html">OAKLAND BASKETBALL SUSPENDS ARTIS CLEVELAND</a>

<a href="http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/2014/10/28/kampes-road-success-oakland-middle/18078099/">Kampe's road to success for Oakland: Through the middle (Detroit Free Press 10/29/2014)</a>

... Artis Cleveland, a 6-10 redshirt freshman suspended indefinitely for violating team rules, likely will not return, according to Kampe.

FWalum

Everyone has good thoughts on this issue and I can see it both ways.  Yes, if the kid was an average player it is sad to say that we would not have offered him that second chance.  I get it, but we also weren't just giving kids a free pass.  We had a kid sent to us from Tennessee by Bruce Pearl and he lasted about two months.  If we were just going on talent alone we would have found some way to keep him. Never the less he was a major fail and I believe never made it back to the college ranks after we let him go.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on January 07, 2015, 12:44:02 PM
Don't forget the story of Artis Cleveland, a transfer to Oakland from Mississippi Valley State.
He was suspended indefinitely from the Oakland team at the beginning of this season.

<a href="http://www.goldengrizzlies.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/101014aac.html">OAKLAND BASKETBALL SUSPENDS ARTIS CLEVELAND</a>

<a href="http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/2014/10/28/kampes-road-success-oakland-middle/18078099/">Kampe's road to success for Oakland: Through the middle (Detroit Free Press 10/29/2014)</a>

... Artis Cleveland, a 6-10 redshirt freshman suspended indefinitely for violating team rules, likely will not return, according to Kampe.
Sooo, if you violate team rules, you're off the team (at Oakland).  But, if you violate laws of society, get arrested twice, you can be on the team (at Oakland)???

Kyle321n

I think someone needs to remind Kampe that Al Davis didn't own THAT Oakland.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

HC

2 transfers for Oakland, both last names are Walker. It's like they're a mirror image of Valpo.

historyman

Quote from: HC on January 07, 2015, 04:06:23 PM2 transfers for Oakland, both last names are Walker. It's like they're a mirror image of Valpo.

Huh? I think you are as confused as the Oakland broadcasters. What two Oakland transfers were named Walker? There's Martez Walker from Texas and who else?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

HC