• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Lou Henson Award

Started by Grizz, January 23, 2015, 12:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizz

College insider just came out with the watch list for the mid-major player of the year. They listed 40 players who have a chance to win it. 2 from the Horizon league. Sykes and Felder. Interesting how you guys think you have the player of the year and defensive player of the year and coach of the year and probably manager and ball boy of the year, yet America doesn't see it that way. I will say this, I do think Peters should be on that list. Interesting to me he's not. He does seem like a great kid so as a Horizon League fan I would like him on it.,

a3uge

Quote from: Grizz on January 23, 2015, 12:18:58 PM
College insider just came out with the watch list for the mid-major player of the year. They listed 40 players who have a chance to win it. 2 from the Horizon league. Sykes and Felder. Interesting how you guys think you have the player of the year and defensive player of the year and coach of the year and probably manager and ball boy of the year, yet America doesn't see it that way. I will say this, I do think Peters should be on that list. Interesting to me he's not. He does seem like a great kid so as a Horizon League fan I would like him on it.,

Hockey guy trolling > Oakland fan trolling

Grizz

I think Felder got listed over Peters because he shot 24 free throws in one game, so the voters figured that the refs just love Felder.

a3uge

Quote from: Grizz on January 23, 2015, 01:36:31 PM
I think Felder got listed over Peters because he shot 24 free throws in one game, so the voters figured that the refs just love Felder.

Yawn.

Kyle321n

All trolling aside, choose 2 of these blind taste tested players and tell me who you're going to take. Real Poss is the percentage of possessions they are responsible for ending every game, be it a field goal attempt with no offensive rebound, an assist, or a turn over. The Real Shot is the percentage of shots they use every game. I took KenPom's Pos% and Shot% and multiplied it by their Min% to get the real percentages. In KenPom's he only uses the time they are on the court to determine the Pos% and Shot%. Note: For one of these players the Pos% and Real Poss as well as Shot% and Real Shot has less than 1% difference (It's Felder and it's because he's on the court for 99% of the game.) Don't know what a category means? Hover over it and you'll get a description.

Ortg   Real Poss   Real Shot   eFG%   TS%   OR%   DR%   AstRate   TORate   Blk%   Stl%   FC/40   FD/40   FTRate
127.6   18.64   22.7   59.4   63.0   7.7   18.3   7.6   10.5   0.9   1.4   2.7   4.2   26.8
111.5   25.63   26.9   51.8   56.9   2.0   12.6   25.6   16.3   0.2   3.0   2.4   5.5   43.6
110.0   19.15   19.1   51.9   55.1   8.4   17.8   17.0   13.4   1.6   0.8   3.5   4.6   40.6
99.7   29.38   24.2   44.4   53.5   2.7   11.3   38.7   24.9   0.6   3.4   2.8   6.0   55.2
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

wh

Quote from: Grizz on January 23, 2015, 12:18:58 PM

Wow, a top 40 player in all of Division-1 basketball and a 1st team HL all conference center. Tell us again why Oakland wasn't picked to win the conference (or anywhere in the top 4)?  Or, would that question be better posed to your coach?

bbtds

Quote from: Grizz on January 23, 2015, 01:36:31 PM

Interesting that Felder has shot 28 free throws in the 5 games since the Valpo game and shot 33 free throws in the 5 games before the Valpo game.

6, 10, 4, 9, 6---before Valpo game---24 Valpo game---6, 8, 10, 0, 4 after the Valpo game

Grizz

Should the coach worry about pre season polls?

Grizz

Also Kyle, your numbers don't mean squat. Oakland played real opposition, no where near the teams Valpo played. Look at the league only numbers when the season is over. You have played Cleveland at home and Oakland on the road. Oakland has played Valpo-Cleveland-green Bay-Detroit. You've played Youngstown twice and UIC. Give it time.

wh

Quote from: Grizz on January 23, 2015, 05:29:16 PM
Also Kyle, your numbers don't mean squat. Oakland played real opposition, no where near the teams Valpo played. Look at the league only numbers when the season is over. You have played Cleveland at home and Oakland on the road. Oakland has played Valpo-Cleveland-green Bay-Detroit. You've played Youngstown twice and UIC. Give it time.

You mean like #3 Arizona?  Which "real opposition" stats do you want to count from that game - the 25 points you scored against their starters in the first half, or the 39 you scored against their subs and ball boys the second half?  Had they not called the dogs off early out of total pity for your completely outmatched team, they easily could have scored 130 points instead of 101.  They could have held your team to 44 instead of 64.  How do you measure stats from a total mismatch like that?  The answer is you don't.  It's like a preseason NFL game - just a meaningless exhibition.   

LaPorteAveApostle

Man, this is really fun.  Why don't opposing trolls, er, fans, come here more often?

...oh.  right.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa