• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bad News on the Horizon- Kaylon Williams arrested for DUI/Fleeing an Officer

Started by motowntitan, August 10, 2011, 08:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

As long as Rob Jeter is running the show, they will not miss a beat from something like this...

Comment from Rob Jeter following Ricky Franklin's OWI arrest at 3:00 in the morning on a cold Nov. Day in 2008:

"There are consequences for violations when something like this happens. But it's also a sign that a young person needs help. He will be removed from basketball (for an indefinite time) so he can concentrate on getting the help he needs and to get better."

As it turned out he only needed 1 game away to "get better" – a blowout loss to heavily favored Wisconsin. 

Given that Williams' transgressions occurred in the summer instead of during the season, the all caring Jeter should have plenty of time to get Williams "the help he needs" long before the season starts.  Don't look for Williams to sit, unless it happens to work out conveniently with some meaningless early OOC game.  Since consequences and accountability are not in the Jeter play book, look for these things to continue to happen up there.     

dylanrocks

This is totally unfair, wh.

Kaylon is in fact an intelligent young man whose grandfather, the man who raised him, is either dead or dying. Seemingly in response to this, he did an incredibly stupid -- and potentially very dangerous -- thing. Whether he plays basketball again or not, here's hoping that he gets some counseling.

In regards to Ricky, he's one of the most composed, mature young men I've ever met in my 20-plus years of following the program and covering college and high school sports.

You're (maybe) taking the two instances of Rob keeping a salvageable soul around the program and disregarding the many times when he unceremoniously discarded several others -- Torre Johnson, Kevin Johnson, Tim Flowers -- who were petulant, insolent and ultimately irredeemable.

valpofan56

Quote from: dylanrocks on August 10, 2011, 11:43:29 PM

Kaylon is in fact an intelligent young man whose grandfather, the man who raised him, is either dead or dying. Seemingly in response to this, he did an incredibly stupid -- and potentially very dangerous -- thing. Whether he plays basketball again or not, here's hoping that he gets some counseling.

In regards to Ricky, he's one of the most composed, mature young men I've ever met in my 20-plus years of following the program and covering college and high school sports.

You're (maybe) taking the two instances of Rob keeping a salvageable soul around the program and disregarding the many times when he unceremoniously discarded several others -- Torre Johnson, Kevin Johnson, Tim Flowers -- who were petulant, insolent and ultimately irredeemable.

I don't care how good of people Williams and Franklin are, they should still undergo a penalty more severe than missing one game.  There is no excuse for drinking and driving and as far as I'm concerned, anybody who does it should go to jail for at least 30 days for a first offense. A NCAA athlete should be forced to miss at least half of their season for a first offense.  When you endanger the lives of innocent people you should never get the benefit of the doubt.  

vu72

Does anybody realize how much you have to consume to blow a .228????   :o

I'm guessing a whole bottle of vodka over a 4 hour period.  Amazing he could even start the car.  The guy has a problem.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

setshot

Hell,at the Theta Chi house in the early 50's,downing a qt. of vodka in four hours was just a starter. We then switched over to a keg of Champagne Velvet (a beer brewed in Terre Haute) and really started to party. Of course that's when men were men and Valpo won some football games. Few of us had cars then,so no DUI's were issued. Ah the good old days. :o

covufan

Quote from: setshot on August 11, 2011, 12:04:42 PM
Hell,at the Theta Chi house in the early 50's,downing a qt. of vodka in four hours was just a starter. We then switched over to a keg of Champagne Velvet (a beer brewed in Terre Haute) and really started to party. Of course that's when men were men and Valpo won some football games. Few of us had cars then,so no DUI's were issued. Ah the good old days. :o

This reminds me of a story I heard a number of years back, from a man that was from England.  He said England didn't have the DUI problem that the states had because you could either afford to drink or to drive, but not both!

Even in the '80s, when I was a student, I'm sure I could have blown a 0.228 a few times.  However, driving was not an option.  Maybe stumbling home, with a few scrapes from the bushes, trees, cement, or whatever jumped out at us!

vu72

This site will give you some perspective.

http://dui.drivinglaws.org/calc.php

I assumed he weighs 180 lbs and drank for 4 hours.  It takes 14 1.5 oz drinks, 14 beers or 14 glasses of wine to get to that level. 

In Minnesota, if you blow over twice the legal limit (.08) then you automatically get a six month suspension and must put "whiskey" plates on your vehicles so cops can easily identify you as a concern. Pretty tough fines as well.

Anyway setshot, in my day it was Strohs, bohemian beer, brewed in Detroit!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

rlh

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on August 11, 2011, 01:41:19 PM

Strohs - fire brewed and fire on the anus the next morning!

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on August 11, 2011, 01:41:19 PM
This site will give you some perspective.

http://dui.drivinglaws.org/calc.php

I assumed he weighs 180 lbs and drank for 4 hours.  It takes 14 1.5 oz drinks, 14 beers or 14 glasses of wine to get to that level. 

In Minnesota, if you blow over twice the legal limit (.08) then you automatically get a six month suspension and must put "whiskey" plates on your vehicles so cops can easily identify you as a concern. Pretty tough fines as well.

I've always tried to keep it at about two beers an hour.  According to this website, that would be OK for me for several hours.  It is the shots that put you up to the .228 range.  If you're doing shots, you need to have a taxi, or someone who can get everyone home safely.  I remember a few times where others were doing shots and I got the keys.  One time one of the group couldn't be found.  I thought for a moment, then went down the street to the White Castle.  Everything was good.  "I knew you'd find me!"

motowntitan

somehow, this point seemed to pass most of us by-

.228 and he still manages to outrun a police officer??  :o

valporun

Quote from: motowntitan on August 11, 2011, 08:45:28 PM

Just because he ran from an officer doesn't mean he got that far. Heck, the officer probably caught him, then when writing up the charges put that he fled from an officer.

wh

Quote from: dylanrocks on August 10, 2011, 11:43:29 PM

If you weren't surprised that Franklin received only a one-game penalty, you were the only Milw fan who wasn't.  The general consensus on your board was that he would receive a 6-game suspension.  By the way, in that same fall Valpo player Logan Jones received a 2-game suspension for underage drinking.   He wasn't drunk nor was he driving a vehicle, putting at risk the lives of everyone he encountered while in a drunken state.  If you thought Franklin's suspension was appropriate, I can only surmise that you thought Jones' suspension was grossly unfair.

As to Williams, what he did was even worse than what Franklin did.  The fans on your board are predicting anywhere from a multiple game suspension to dismissal from the team.  Will they be surprised again?  We will be watching...

vu72

The suspension thing may be a mute point if I'm reading the Iowa DUI law correctly.  Their law says a minimum of 2 days in the slammer UP to ONE YEAR.

Now, they talk about not being over .15, not being in an accident or causing bodily harm for reasons to get the minimum sentence plus of course plenty of fines.  The article says "he went off the road"--presumably was in an "accident", had a blood alcohol level of .228 (more than the afore mentioned .15) and resisted arrest.  He could be looking at 1 year in the crowbar hotel.  Even if it is only 6 months he misses the entire season and would be ineligible anyway because he wasn't in school.  Hope he has a first rate attorney--he'll need one.

historyman

Brad Thies of Des Moines is a good lawyer and 2007 Valpo Law grad. Had to get a plug in for Brad. I'm not sure Williams can pay his fees though.

http://brickgentrylaw.com/attorneys-2/bradley-w-thies/

motowntitan

Quote from: valporun on August 11, 2011, 11:56:52 PM
Quote from: motowntitan on August 11, 2011, 08:45:28 PM

Just because he ran from an officer doesn't mean he got that far. Heck, the officer probably caught him, then when writing up the charges put that he fled from an officer.

Please read the link!  8)

milanmiracle

"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on August 12, 2011, 03:54:01 PM
The suspension thing may be a mute point if I'm reading the Iowa DUI law correctly.  Their law says a minimum of 2 days in the slammer UP to ONE YEAR.

Now, they talk about not being over .15, not being in an accident or causing bodily harm for reasons to get the minimum sentence plus of course plenty of fines.  The article says "he went off the road"--presumably was in an "accident", had a blood alcohol level of .228 (more than the afore mentioned .15) and resisted arrest.  He could be looking at 1 year in the crowbar hotel.  Even if it is only 6 months he misses the entire season and would be ineligible anyway because he wasn't in school.  Hope he has a first rate attorney--he'll need one.

First offense?  Including fleeing from the police... I'll be shocked if he gets more than a week in jail.  (I'll be a little surprised if he even really gets two days.  How mandatory is the minimum?  Suspended sentences, etc, etc.)

wh

From tonight's Milwaukee/SW Minn. State game report:
The Panthers also were without starting point guard Kaylon Williams, a preseason first-team all-Horizon selection, who served a one-game suspension for an off-season rules violation (drunken driving arrest last summer). Williams also missed the recent exhibition game against UW-Parkside because of a knee injury.

In case anyone is wondering how it was determined that Williams should receive a 1-game penalty:

A friend of mine with inside connections at UWM has a copy of their men's BB team rule book.  The penalty for DUI's is if you register above the legal limit (which Williams did), you are suspended for the first 10 minutes of 1 game.  If you are double the legal limit (which williams was), another 10 minutes is added.  Triple the limit (which Williams was), another 10 minutes is added.  Finally, if you run from police and have to be chased down by a police dog, you get another 10 minutes.  Thus, the one-game supension.   

valpotx

That is absolutely ridiculous.  If that happened at Valpo, I imagine they would miss several weeks at an absolute minimum.  Actually, didn't we have a player a few years back that was basically kicked off the team for alcohol-related offenses?  I know when I was in school there was a walk-on who was kicked off for another reason.
"Don't mess with Texas"

sectionee

Well the opposing student sections should have plenty of material when Milwaukee comes to town.

vu72

Hysterical and sad.  Our kid was suspended for dope use.  Their guy should be in jail and may be when he goes to trial if they haven't already pleaded it out.  One game?  Ten minutes??  What a classy serious institution.