• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Arkansas (Simmons Bank Arena-N.Little Rock,AR) 8:00EST/7:00CST Dec.21

Started by bbtds, December 21, 2019, 02:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Well, I guess this will be the only game thread I start this year. That way I make myself a lame duck game thread starter on a game we are "more" likely to lose.

Arkansas Makes Annual Trip To North Little Rock
MIKE CAWOOD
December 20, 2019-date of preview
Who: Valparaiso Crusaders (7-5) vs Arkansas Razorbacks (9-1)
What: Arkansas' annual trip to North Little Rock
When: Saturday – Dec. 21, 2019 – 7:00 pm
Where: Simmons Bank Arena – North Little Rock, Ark.
How (to follow):
– TV/Live Stream: None
– Radio: Learfield IMG College Razorback Sports Network (Chuck Barrett and Matt Zimmerman)
^ Listen to Razorback Sports Network Online: CLICK HERE
– Sirius/XM: streaming online, channel 978 Hooray for valpotx!!!!
– Live Stats: www.Arkansas.StatBroadcast.com
– In Person: CLICK HERE to purchase tickets

– Arkansas Game Notes: CLICK HERE
– Tulsa Game Notes: CLICK HERE
– Simmons Bank Arena Game Day/Parking Information: CLICK HERE

FAYETTEVILLE – Arkansas will make its annual trip to North Little Rock to face Valparaiso on Saturday (Dec. 21). Tip-off is set for 7 pm.

The Arkansas women's team will face UALR on Saturday in North Little Rock as well with that game t starting at 1 pm. Simmons Bank Arena will be cleared between games and fans must purchase separate tickets for both contests.

This will be the first time Arkansas has ever faced Valpo.
This will be the 21st time since 1999 Arkansas has played in North Little Rock. The Razorbacks are 11-9 in the previous 20 contests, have won three straight and won six of the last seven.
Arkansas will not play again until Dec. 29 when the Razorbacks are at Indiana. Tip-off for that contest is set for 5 pm (CT).

Arkansas' NET was 23 in the first official NCAA NET rankings (Dec. 16).
^ Arkansas' NET is 2nd-best among SEC schools behind Auburn (7).
^ The rest of the SEC in the NET: 25 Tennessee; 26 LSU; 46 Ole Miss; 58 Kentucky; 73 Missouri; 76 Georgia; 78 Florida 6-3; 90 Mississippi State; 96 Alabama; 99 Vanderbilt; 145 South Carolina and 281 Texas A&M.

Arkansas has an RPI of 12, up two after a 19-point win over Tulsa. Arkansas' RPI is better than 10 teams in the top 25, including Virginia, Arizona, Oregon, Tennessee, Butler, Penn State, Memphis, Washington, Michigan and Michigan State.
ESPN's Joe Lunardi has the Hogs as a #10 seed, facing Indiana in Spokane of the West Region of the 2020 NCAA Basketball Tournament.
So Far, This is the Worst and the Best Rebounding Year in History

Arkansas knew all along with the loss of Daniel Gafford (8.7 rpg last season) and no size returning, rebounding was going to be an issue.
Arkansas ranks 314th NCAA/14th SEC in offensive rebounds per game (7.7 avg).
Arkansas ranks 271st NCAA/13th SEC in rebounds per game (34.2 avg).
Arkansas ranks 276th NCAA/13th SEC in rebound margin (-2.2 avg).
Arkansas ranks 151st NCAA/8th SEC in defensive rebounds per game (26.5 avg) ... BUT SEE BELOW
THIS IS THE WORST OFFENSIVE REBOUNDING YEAR DATING BACK TO 1986-87*
^ Arkansas gets 7.7 offensive boards while opponents get 26.0 defensive boards.
^ Arkansas gets a program worst 22.9% of available rebounds on the offensive end.

THIS IS THE BEST DEFENSIVE REBOUNDING YEAR DATING BACK TO 1986-87*
^ Arkansas gets 26.5 defensive boards while opponents get 10.4 offensive boards.
^ Arkansas gets a program-best 71.8% of available rebounds on the defensive end.

* – stat courtesy of HogStats.com – offensive/defensive boards not separated prior to 1986-87

Whitt and Jones Among Guards in NCAA for FG%

Jimmy Whitt Jr., ranks fifth in the SEC (100th in the NCAA) in field goal percentage (52.9%).
^ Whitt ranks 24th in the NCAA among guards in overall FG% (52.9%).
Mason Jones ranks ninth in the SEC (131st in the NCAA) in field goal percentage (50.5%).
^ Jones ranks 39th in the NCAA among guards in overall FG% (50.5%).
However, Jones is shooting an impressive 68.6% (35-of-51) inside the 3-point arc this season.
^ To put his 2-point shooting in perspective, #6 on the NCAA FG% leaders list is 68.6% by 6-11 forward Zeke Nnaji (Arizona).

Joe – in Just 44 Games – is 6 3's From Career Top 10

Isaiah Joe went into several record books last season. He set four school records for 3-pointers, two SEC freshman records (while being just the fourth SEC frosh to lead the league 3PT%) and made the fourth-most 3-pointers by a freshman in NCAA history.
Joe is on the verge of entering the Arkansas career record for 3-pointers made.
^ Joe has made 147 career triples — six shy of 10th (153 by Jonathan Modica (2003-06).
^ Joe has made 147 treys in 44 career games. By comparison, Modica needed 118 games to make his 153.
^ Joe made 113 triples as a freshman and entered the season needing to make just 40 3's to enter the career top 10.
Joe makes 39.4% percent of his 3-pointers. At that pace, he would rank ninth in school history.­­
Isaiah Joe on Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Watch List

Arkansas sophomore Isaiah Joe was named to the 2020 Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Award watch list, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced today.
FANS CAN VOTE FOR THEIR FAVORITE PLAYER AT: http://www.hoophallawards.com/men/vote.php
For more information on Arkansas Men's Basketball, follow @RazorbackMBB on Twitter.

VALPO LI

Finally just under 4 hours to tip off this board is too quiet! This hopeful Valpo fan shall go out on a limb this evening.....why not!
Here is to playing like we did against Cincy but this time grabbing a W!!!
Valpo 81
Hogs 78
Shine on Vu

NativeCheesehead

Just Sayin

This year Stephen f. Austin beat Duke and Evansville beat Kentucky so why can't Valpo beat Arkansas?

Ain't gonna happen. Valpo gets beat by at least 15.

covufan

If we play like we did against Cincinnati and Central Michigan, we have a chance. We fall short.

Valpo   76
Arkansas 82

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpotx

I still don't understand how this is not on any sort of visual broadcast, but yes, will listen on SXM ;).  I have a bet with a friend that went to pig sooie university.

Valpo 75
Arkansas 73
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: vu72 on December 21, 2019, 05:56:40 PM

SOMEHOW i THINK THEY MAY BE READY FOR JAVON!  OTHERS NEED TO STEP IT UP!!

https://www.thecabin.net/sports/arkansas-faces-freeman-liberty-valparaiso-on-saturday-in-little-rock/article_ba253037-4db2-53ad-9ad0-6b944cbb0bdb.html

Totally unfair that they would take Javon from 7-5 Mid Major Valpo this seriously. The biggest reason Eville beat KY is that they never gave them a second thought before the game started. Catching bigs looking past you is what gives you hope. Why does this always happen to us?  Why do 2 opponent freshman players have career nights and look like LeBron James against us and follow it up with mediocre games?  Why did one of our 2 big time difference makers go down 2 years in a row?  Why us?

wh

Ben and Eron to the starting line-up. These pathetic starts cannot continue.

Pgmado

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on December 21, 2019, 03:34:10 PM
Very hard to get fired up for a game we won't get to see.

Welcome to any Valparaiso basketball game pre-2010.

vu72

Wow what a half!  So start with Javon way off and we have the lead before about 20K hostile fans!  Got a love it!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

mj

I believe that we will win.

crusader05

under 8 minutes left and Valpo is up 9. Seems like everyone is doing what they need to. Bad news is both Gordon and Clay have 4 fouls. Sounds like the refs have been whistle happy all game with both teams though.

nkvu

Sounds like home refs have taken over and called many phantom calls to make sure Arkansas wins. What a shock.  I am so sick of this bs.

valpotx

It is more our 3 turnovers in the last 2 minutes of the game, and a block on JFL.
"Don't mess with Texas"

govalpogo

valpotx

Another chance to knock off a good team, and we falter late.  Same story with Cincy that we had in OT.
"Don't mess with Texas"

mj

Tough to lose a game like this. But happy to see that Valpo put up a fight tonight. Especially considering how many guys were out/foul trouble.
I believe that we will win.

VALPO LI

My optimistic outlook came up just short tonight.
HOGS 72
Valpo 68
Shine on Vu

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on December 21, 2019, 09:06:07 PM
Another chance to knock off a good team, and we falter late.  Same story with Cincy that we had in OT.

Not to make excuses but...we had ten guys dresses including two walk-ons,  It bodes  very well for the MVS.  It still sucks.

govalpogo

And secondly, a really tough way to finish it off.  When it was 18-5, I thought I'd be shutting it down early.  Proud of the fight, wish they had finished it...obviously. 

valpotx

I want to see the FT disparity, once the stats are updated.  The Arkansas announcers on SXM, seemed to think that all were valid fouls, but I have to believe we gave up 20 more FTs than we took.  Also, I can't get over the main announcer using Freeman-Liberty and Liberty-Freeman interchangeably all game.  At least pick 1 version!!

Good fight, against a team that will probably end up in the top 4 of the SEC.  Wish I could have watched it live.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

What a shame. Down 2 starters and 2 reserves and lose by 4 to a fully healthy 9-1 P5 in front of 18,000 screaming fans on a "neutral" court.

BTW, zero credit to Arkansas. Had every advantage and probably should have lost. And, all after a blown 18-5 lead to start the game. Valpo wins this game by 10 at the ARC.

VUBBFan

Quote from: valpotx on December 21, 2019, 09:11:14 PMI want to see the FT disparity, once the stats are updated.  The Arkansas announcers on SXM, seemed to think that all were valid fouls, but I have to believe we gave up 20 more FTs than we took.  Also, I can't get over the main announcer using Freeman-Liberty and Liberty-Freeman interchangeably all game.  At least pick 1 version!! Good fight, against a team that will probably end up in the top 4 of the SEC.  Wish I could have watched it live.
Quite a bit of difference with the VU announcers on the fouls in the last 4 minutes of play. They highly questioned 3 fouls on Valpo at the end.

govalpogo

Quote from: valpotx on December 21, 2019, 09:11:14 PM
I want to see the FT disparity, once the stats are updated.  The Arkansas announcers on SXM, seemed to think that all were valid fouls, but I have to believe we gave up 20 more FTs than we took.  Also, I can't get over the main announcer using Freeman-Liberty and Liberty-Freeman interchangeably all game.  At least pick 1 version!!

Good fight, against a team that will probably end up in the top 4 of the SEC.  Wish I could have watched it live.

Todd just said 31-11.