• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs UIC 11/13 at noon

Started by bb33, November 13, 2021, 08:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD24

Quote from: a3uge on November 14, 2021, 12:46:43 PMKrikke is likely a backup to Kithier anyway. You can't really put them both on the court at the same time unless you want even worse floor spacing.
Of all the opinion expressed in this thread or regarding the current team, this is probably the worst expressed. First of all, Krikke may be the best player on the team and secondly the spacing will be fine since he has the ability to stretch the floor.

humbleopinion

I was encouraged by our ability to penetrate.  As has been mentioned on this board, in other games to often we have just set high ball screens and worked the ball around the perimeter.  Yesterday there was much more movement toward the basket -- a welcome change. Unfortunately, Eron missed all of the shots he took, and Sheldon was only 3/9 on the inside.

I wonder how the conversation on the board would have been different if we had scored one more point in regulation.
Beamin' Beacons

justducky

Quote from: a3uge on November 14, 2021, 12:46:43 PMKrikke is likely a backup to Kithier anyway.

You should probably just retract this statement so that all of us can move forward.  ;) I realize that their offensive styles are similar but both are clearly in our top 6 (debatably top 5) scorer category and will be at every stage of this season. With that fact in mind Matt will have to situationally find or engineer ways for both to simultaneously occupy the floor for something like 5 to 13 minutes per contest. If Matt can not figure out how to do this successfully then I will be calling for his head also!  :thumbsup:

vuny98

Quote from: humbleopinion on November 14, 2021, 03:43:46 PMI was encouraged by our ability to penetrate.  As has been mentioned on this board, in other games to often we have just set high ball screens and worked the ball around the perimeter.  Yesterday there was much more movement toward the basket -- a welcome change. Unfortunately, Eron missed all of the shots he took, and Sheldon was only 3/9 on the inside. I wonder how the conversation on the board would have been different if we had scored one more point in regulation.

I agree, I actually thought the ball movement was good (apart from a few plays where a player clearly wanted to take a shot). If Eron/Sheldon shoot their average we win.

Valpo Joe

Oh well - FREAKIN' BEACONS 0 - 4   :whiteflag:

bbtds

Quote from: humbleopinion on November 14, 2021, 03:43:46 PMI wonder how the conversation on the board would have been different if we had scored one more point in regulation.

I wonder if Kithier had scored 10 less points if he had been guarded by someone like Prim from MSU and Valpo had lost by 10 to UIC how much more wrath & frustration would have been directed at Lottich by this message board. The "what ifs" can go both ways.

elephtheria47

I think we have the needed talent to achieve success.

Not sure about the coaching, though. Do we really want to be results oriented (i.e. if a ball bounced in and we won by a point we'd be having a different conversation versus a ball bouncing out). It's easy to play the what if game and I like to play it too. But if we look at the process/detail version of things, I can't say I feel the process is right, right now, even with the injuries. I'm still having too many head scratching moments with minutes, players, rotations, timeouts, etc. I try my best to defer to the coaches who are in practice every day and have a feel for those decisions, but it's getting tougher. Obviously the season is still young and it can be corrected, but I don't think even the biggest supporter in here would have ever thought we started out how we did against who we did in this important season.